How Call of Duty Destroyed the World

Nathan

Reaction score
For centuries, man has been predicting the end of the world as we know it. The Mayans, Nostradamus, R.E.M. – they've all been singing the same tune. What none of them managed to predict however, was that the world would be destroyed by Call of Duty. Well, the world of video games, at least.

Come on, you've been sensing it for a while. You've looked on in despair as yet another FPS is released that wants to be Black Ops. You've felt the mounting deluge of dissatisfaction that's been building inside you ever since Activision clearly realised Call of Duty 4 was a gambit that very much paid off, and could conceivably continue to pay off year, after year, after year at the cost of an entire genre of gaming.

So what do you do about it? Once it's dawned on you that you've been playing the same game with different titles for years now, you look to alternatives. But guess what? They're all uncomfortably familiar; especially when it comes time to go online. At this point your internal reactor reaches critical mass, explodes, and your passion for the act of first-person digital warfare becomes a shadow burnt into the couch where you used to sit for hours and ponder the great quandaries of the 21st century schizoid gamer: "AK-74u w/ grip or FAMAS?" and "Where best to camp?" and, gradually, "Wow, this kind of sucks," and, eventually, "Why is everything trying to be this game?"

toby_cod_inline1_1302220288.jpg

Spot the difference.

Call of Duty engineered the destruction of its race, allowing its masters to subjugate the universe, giving them wealth and power beyond anybody's wildest dreams. Now it controls the evolution of any species or technology that it judges to be a potential threat; the greatest FPS scientists and developers forced to work under the supervision of so much inexplicable profit. For that, the global tribunal of gamingdom must put Call of Duty on trial. Intermediaries in this affair include but are not limited to anyone bemoaning the rise of casualised meta-gaming to a seat of absolute power. Hypocritically enough, however, if you play Black Ops then you become part of the problem – or, at the very least, you become an unpaid beta tester, according to UK-based consumer advocacy group Gamers' Voice, who've been taking the concept of a trial extremely literally for some time now. Figuratively or literally, it's a trial that's sorely needed.

So far every glimmer of salvation has been swiftly snuffed, undone by the very tyrant they each seek to usurp. When the Medal of Honor reboot loomed on the horizon, bristling with bearded promise, hope for a better tomorrow stirred in the weary hearts of gamers everywhere. A new challenger had appeared; EA finally taking the fight to Activision with a game that… looked indistinguishable from Call of Duty, and… played similarly… and… might as well have been called **** Ops, provided that name hadn't already been attributed to Black Ops by certain quarters. Even formerly unique FPS franchises aesthetically outside CoD's jurisdiction towed the line to some extent: Killzone 3's heavier sci-fi tread couldn't escape the prevalence of identically-implemented perks and killstreaks; neither could Crysis 2, despite its dog-tag riff on the former's familiar theme. And Homefront? THQ might be hurling optimistic press release confetti into the air to placate investors, but every gamer knows the truth at the heart of that disappointment.

We're seeing the backlash now. Dead Space 2 was criticized by many for its by-the-numbers multiplayer modes, while the upcoming Prey 2 has no multiplayer to speak of at all. DICE is even actively taking to Activision's lackluster modus operandi in the press, with General Manager Karl-Magnus Troedsson recently launching a salvo of unguided missiles in the obvious direction of Kotick's Fourth Reich and its many silent partners: "The competitors are out there, they're established, and they're very, very big. We believe that they are not innovating, that they are treading water. They're using the same engine," he added, "the same recipe for building a game. At some point you need to take that leap. I haven't seen them take that leap since a long time ago."

It's an interesting sentiment given that, by all hands-off reports, Battlefield 3's single-player looks and possibly plays a lot like Black Ops. No one can be completely sure, however, as no-one's been hands-on with the latest Great White FPS Hope just yet. Have you already pre-ordered yourself a Limited Edition copy? Maybe you have. Scared? You should be, but for a much more worrying reason than the fact DICE might be setting you up for yet another hum-drum offering of derivative tin-can target practice (they have brought back prone, you know, and that means dolphin-dives, and… wait, is that some quick time events we see?).

You now have more in common with Bobby Kotick than is comfortable to admit. The aggressive expanse that is his waistline might swell concurrently with Call of Duty's success, but so too does his receding helmet of ever-shrinking red ripcurls. And how many times has Black Ops made you pull your hair out, either directly or indirectly? It's not just the screaming frustration inherent to a sudden blinding crash whilst you're up 195-190 in the tensest game of Domination ever or being informed in slow-motion that ENCHANTMENT_LOL has nailed you from afar with a frag grenade tossed mindlessly into the ether (again), it's also the fact that everything else not so much wants as needs to repeat this tired montage of firefight fallacies over, and over, and over – and the more they decry this increasingly obvious dead-end, they more likely they are to be trapped in it. The first-person shooter has gone nowhere for years largely because of this series' success; in some cases, it's even gone backwards.

Why? Money, mostly. Big business savvy will always copy rather than create. It's easier, and the herd at large (you) won't turn dissent into action (by not playing the game), which would in turn either force evolution or result in overdue dismantlement à la Guitar Hero. We're gamers; we have a unique addiction that we love to death yet argue for and against constantly, hoping it will improve itself but feeling more or less powerless either way. It's not wholly unlike being the ***** in a relationship. Simply asking gamers not to play the latest and greatest is totally unfeasible. What it really takes is the stumbling of the status quo to fire up the signal flare of change, and while Homefront's crippled offensive is a very disappointing thing indeed for gamers, it is also a means to a much greater end. It is a Call of Duty copycat that ticks all the right boxes, but fails to rise above campaign gameplay mediocrity. Perhaps it will be the last straw?

In times of tragedy it does us good to laugh, and laugh we should – it's just too bad the comforting comedy we crave is almost as tragic as the tragedy it's supposed to be relieving. The only reason Call of Duty has become such a billion-dollar gaming behemoth is because the franchise at large took a safe but calculated risk back in 2007 with Call of Duty 4, turning 1944 into present day while every other FPS around it pushed forward – whilst marching on the spot – in a slow wave of identikit WWII-centric ennui. Call of Duty 4 didn't do much to innovate, but sometimes changing your stripes is all that's needed, and the rest will follow. Ironically, hilariously, everyone else followed, and continue to do so.

Hope lies with Battlefield 3 – but even men with their mouths full of trash-talk need to eat.

Source

COD games are all the same, and the fact is there's many better FPS' than COD, Bad Company 2 is much, much better.

Ghost Recon FTW. Seriously cant stand Call of Duty, Hoping Deus Ex lives up to its predecessors

Battlefield 3 to blow it out the water this autumn ;) still prefer Battlefield 2 to the COD games despite its age

Tired of CoD now, I'll usually play the new one while it's hyped and everyone else is on it, then after a while me and my friends always go back to CoD4.

Hoping Battlefield 3 delivers something special, and hopefully IW at EA can deliver something to dismantle the monopoly of the FPS market.

The Modern Warfare games are great, it's Treyarch who make the **** COD games.

I disagree completely. The two most recent COD games which I've enjoyed are WaW and Blops. WaW remains my favourite COD ever. Modern Warfare's so, so, so ****.

Modern warfare 1 was a great game, the best COD game imo. MW2 always had a lot to live up to so I wouldn't have been too upset if it wasn't quite as good. However it being totally **** did make me a bit upset. WaW was ok but not great (still better than MW2). Blops is very good and is on par with COD 4, possibly surpassing it due to the number of features it has compared to COD 4

Ghost Recon, SOCOM, Battlefield 3 and Operation Flashpoint.. Some great games this year that im hoping will be different to COD. This will be a good year for FPS!

MW2? Lolololol.

Modern warfare 1 was a great game, the best COD game imo. MW2 always had a lot to live up to so I wouldn't have been too upset if it wasn't quite as good. However it being totally **** did make me a bit upset. WaW was ok but not great (still better than MW2). Blops is very good and is on par with COD 4, possibly surpassing it due to the number of features it has compared to COD 4

Meh, I prefer CoD4 over Blops. I dislike the whole new kill streak system, death streaks. Care packages are dumb. Sometimes, simplicity is the best. ;)

MW2? Lolololol.

Meh, I prefer CoD4 over Blops. I dislike the whole new kill streak system, death streaks. Care packages are dumb. Sometimes, simplicity is the best. ;)

i hate the whole gimmicky thing

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Great post oO)

MW2 was poor at best

i hate the whole gimmicky thing

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

MW2 was poor at best

Indeed. Ever since the success of CoD4 the games have lacked any innovation whatsoever. Understandable, from a business perspective. Hopefully EA deciding they really want to challenge this market will really create better products from both firms.

It's actually really hard to believe that MW2 was made by the same team as CoD4.

Great post oO)

That game isn't worth my time to type something better. I actually thought I was quite complimentary towards it, far worse could be said. ;)

MW2? Lolololol.

Suppose it's the argument between better gameplay v More features. Would say COD 4 had better maps and game play but Blops still has good game play and good maps. The kill streaks can be v annoying but some can be good too. I really am undecided really over which game I prefer more.

Most people I know that complain about MW2, are complaining because of the hackers & noobs, etc. I'd like to know what's technically wrong with MW2...

Suppose it's the argument between better gameplay v More features. Would say COD 4 had better maps and game play but Blops still has good game play and good maps. The kill streaks can be v annoying but some can be good too. I really am undecided really over which game I prefer more.

i just want a good well built shooter, maybe im old fashioned but dont need these kill streaks etc

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Most people I know that complain about MW2, are complaining because of the hackers & noobs, etc. I'd like to know what's technically wrong with MW2...

its a very short, generic gameplay, all style no real substance, story was poor.

short list would include **** maps, **** gameplay, campers, more campers, bad perks

i just want a good well built shooter, maybe im old fashioned but dont need these kill streaks etc

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

It's a fair enough opinion and I do agree with you. E.g I would rather BF3 just basically update BF2 with better graphics, more maps and more guns. I don't really want it to have loads and loads of features. BF2 was an unbelievable FPS. IW had to do something to try and move the game on from COD 4 so they tried the all new killstreaks feature and it failed horribly. Basically they wanted to milk a successful game to get more money

Last edited:

its a very short, generic gameplay, all style no real substance, story was poor.

I thought the basic 3/5/7 system on CoD4 was nice touch. No customisation, was more of a bonus reward for doing well. Far, far too much emphasis is placed on them in the modern system now. I prefer to actually do the work myself for kills, rather than have a kill streak do it for me.

@Munroe - The kill streak system was terrible, some guns and perks were ridiculously imbalanced, the maps were no where near as good, they turned quick scoping into a cheesy gimmick, care packages were a horrid addition and just opened the way to abuse, death streaks.. Need I go on?

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

short list would include **** maps, **** gameplay, campers, more campers, bad perks

It's a fair enough opinion and I do agree with you. E.g I would rather BF3 just basically update BF2 with better graphics, more maps and more guns. I don't really want it to have loads and loads of features. BF2 was an unbelievable FPS. IW had to do something to try and move the game on from COD 4 so they tried the all new killstreaks feature and it failed horribly. Basically they wanted to milk a successful game to get more money

To be fair, I think most of the things wrong with MW2 was Activision greed. They really stifled what IW could do with the game, I'm glad they've left.

Hmm, I think Valve would beg to differ. Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Portal... Yeah the FPS genre hasn't changed at all over the years.

Hmm, I think Valve would beg to differ. Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Portal... Yeah the FPS genre hasn't changed at all over the years.

oh the days of Team Fortress, the 51st Clan :wub: