How Call of Duty Destroyed the World

The thing is, a lot of game developers are just afraid of taking risks; so they will just make something that everyone already knows. There are very few devs that will actually do something creative or innovative left.

Welcome to the world of casualised games. Get used to it since it seems that nearly every developer will be going down these lines since it makes them a hefty profit for little to no work.

Take a look at Dragon Age II, Origins was a fantastic game, had a flaws but overall was great and was bringing back the BG type gameplay. Dragon Age II however was an abomination for Bioware and obviously the influence of EA has forced them to rush the game. Things look doubtful for ME 3 to be a good game and same goes for Skyrim by looking at some press releases. Only game im looking forward to now is The Witcher 2, at least they are not following suit by giving in to the consoles.

Hmm, I think Valve would beg to differ. Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Portal... Yeah the FPS genre hasn't changed at all over the years.

Both games are totally different to the likes of CoD and BF.
TF2 is basically a fun, hat collection game. And L4D is a 4 tactical co-op game, with a max of 8 players a game.

Suprised no one has mentioned the Ghost Recon games

Both games are totally different to the likes of CoD and BF.
TF2 is basically a fun, hat collection game. And L4D is a 4 tactical co-op game, with a max of 8 players a game.

Well done for seeing my point and then failing to understand how it relates to the article.

Hint: The article is saying all FPS games are the same and no one is doing anything different to the COD games.

Well done for seeing my point and then failing to understand how it relates to the article.

Hint: The article is saying all FPS games are the same and no one is doing anything different to the COD games.

Sorry. Just skimmed the Article :(

I have only enjoyed two first person shooters in the last few years. Left for Dead and Modern Warfare 1. I'm looking forward to that new Tom Clancy game and the new Oblivion though! I just think that no matter what games they make for the 360, it will never come close to the greatness of the gamecube.

Other games that haven't copied CoD:
Red Dead Redemption.
Bulletstorm.

I used to love the conflict series until they made it COD like :'(

Really enjoy Borderlands, the Halo's, Battlefield (comparable to COD but more enjoyable for me), Team Fortress is good but pretty dead now online when I've been on, Left 4 Dead (COD zombies I cannot stand!).

Brind on Duke Nukem and Des Ex 3

The only FPS games I enjoy are CoD4 and all the Battlefields. Treyarch fail at making games, I used to play CoD4 and MW2 competatively, actually got to a semi-final of a $10,000 tournament on the PS3 on MW2 with a top class roster, called Amb. [Ambushed], which is probably why I prefer MW2/CoD4 over WaW and B:eek:ps, they were just so much more competative on GB than their Treyarch counterparts. But FIFA > All FPS ever!

And may I add? GoW has the best storylines ever, especially in the 2 player campaign! Had some nights where me and a mate would just sit on it for hours with a few tinnies and have a good laugh. Can't wait for GoW3, already pre-ordered, should get my BETA code through soon.

Are people surprised that 'all CoD games are the same'?

The game engine for Call of Duty is THE BEST FPS Engine going, changing the gameplay would be ridiculous.

Operation Flashpoint was a wonderful game in theory, but poor graphics, glitches and bugs let it down.

I'm hoping the sequel; Opertaion Flashpoint: Red River will provide a nice alternative to COD.

Operation Flashpoint was a wonderful game in theory, but poor graphics, glitches and bugs let it down.

I'm hoping the sequel; Opertaion Flashpoint: Red River will provide a nice alternative to COD.

I'm not sure Red River is worth the price at the moment, holds a mediocre 73 rating on MetaCritic from 13 reviews.

Although the co-op does look quite good.

Are people surprised that 'all CoD games are the same'?

The game engine for Call of Duty is THE BEST FPS Engine going, changing the gameplay would be ridiculous.

It is also a very outdated engine that has been modified that was originally used in 1999.

"Destroyed the World" I wouldn't quite call a game "the world" so in essence a slightly pointless disscussion but it has taken over the lives of far too many young people who could be much more productive in spending their time in other activities!