How Football Manager Stole One Man's Life

Jack Fulham

Reaction score
Like many of us, and many of you, Iain MacIntosh suffers from a crippling addiction. Football Manager stole his life, so he and other addicts wrote a book about it...

We are the cursed generation. Slaves to our addiction, masters only of our regens. We trudge through every day, holding press conferences in our heads, mapping out transfer policy in imaginary Sunday broadsheet interviews. We agonise over formation, toil over tactics. Sometimes we convince ourselves to micro-manage everything, including the U18 squad. We are the Football Managers.

If the team at Backpage Press achieve anything with our new book 'Football Manager Stole My Life', I hope that we can reassure you that you are not alone in this. We know what it is to sit on the sofa tinkering until 3am, scared to go to the toilet in case the flush wakes your partner. We know how it feels when hours of work fall apart in an injury crisis that extinguishes your promotion hopes for another year. But we also know that there are thousands of others who have got it worse than us. Like the chap who shakes hands with the doorknob before a Cup Final, convincing himself that it's a visiting dignitary. Or the hopelessly addicted student whose friends had to smash the CD in front of him in a violent intervention.

I knew instantly that Football Manager, or Championship Manager as it was originally, would change gaming forever. Unlike the other simulations I'd adored, Kevin Toms' original FM, Tracksuit Manager and Football Masters, this was so advanced it was practically sentient. Back in 1992, the Collyer brothers' debut was largely ignored by the critics. They saw a game that looked more like a spreadsheet. I saw the beauty beyond the numbers.

For the first time ever, this was a game that didn't revolve around you. You revolved around the game. The game did not need you, the game did not care about you. If you failed, the game would get rid of you and carry on without looking back over its shoulder. And that's what made it so compelling. Even without real player names, it sucked me in and dealt a heavy blow to my GCSE prospects.

Twenty years on, very little has changed for me. A father now, with less disposable time than ever before, I still relish the opportunity to sit down with a cup of tea, mapping out a plan for the future of my pretend team, packed with pretend players who battle for pretend cups. I haven't been able to get into a game since finishing my sections of the book, but even as I write these words, I know that my return is approaching. I once had a successful trial for the Falmouth Town third team, so I consider myself 'semi-pro'. That should be enough for a Conference job.

But then again, with everything I've won in the past - a World Cup, the Olympics and the Champions League with FM12 alone - perhaps I'm worth more than that. Perhaps it's time that Fergie stood down to make room for someone who'll actually buy a dynamic midfielder.

We're not idiots. Well, most of us aren't anyway. We know that the world of Football Manager is very different from the world of Actual Football. We don't kid ourselves that our cyber-successes make us Actual Football Managers. We might still think that we know better than Actual Football Managers, but then find me a football fan who doesn't. What we do know is that this isn't a game, it's far more than that. It's an ideological bolt-hole, a sanctuary from reality. It's a place away from the chaos of modern life and the demands of work and family. It's where we can scheme and plot and beam and snarl and win and lose and draw and save and exit only to return hours later to do it all again. It's where we belong.

Iain MacIntosh

How Football Manager Stole One Man's Life | Football365 | Features | F365 Features...

FOOTBALL MANAGER STOLE MY LIFE is out on August 10 and is available here

"Back in 1992"

I also started that year and say the same:

"They saw a game that looked more like a spreadsheet. I saw the beauty beyond the numbers. "

Downloaded this on iBooks a couple of days ago [kinda regret not getting this on paperback instead!] but it's so good! Best thing is I can hide in the toilets at work and read it... Haha.

You must buy this if you love FM and/ or have played since the early games!

I'm scared to read it in case I'm reading about myself lol

I'm scared to read it in case I'm reading about myself lol

It's awesome..

They tell you how FM was started, and there's interviews with all the legends from previous games, & there's a bit about how FM has affected real peoples lives (that's as far as I've got upto).. It's a very good read.

It's awesome..

They tell you how FM was started, and there's interviews with all the legends from previous games, & there's a bit about how FM has affected real peoples lives (that's as far as I've got upto).. It's a very good read.

Have to admit it does sound appealing. vivdly remember wasting many an hour on the Commodore 64 when I was but a sprightly young lad. Lots of great 64 bit (or whatever it was back then lol) based memories. Was addicted to **** even back then. Though there's definately a lot more at stake if you get addicted and you're in a relationship/family situation. Had to literally stop playing it. Though of course I'm totally hooked again, though I'm in a "better" situation where I have nothing to lose whatsoever. Just keeps me going while I'm looking for work. Also gets me writing stories so it does have a benefit-creativity lol.

But it's definately a game with a Jekyll and Hyde in it

Last edited:
Have to admit it does sound appealing. vivdly remember wasting many an hour on the Commodore 64 when I was but a sprightly young lad. Lots of great 64 bit (or whatever it was back then lol) based memories. Was addicted to **** even back then. Though there's definately a lot more at stake if you get addicted and you're in a relationship/family situation. Had to literally stop playing it. Though of course I'm totally hooked again, though I'm in a "better" situation where I have nothing to lose whatsoever. Just keeps me going while I'm looking for work. Also gets me writing stories so it does have a benefit-creativity lol.

But it's definately a game with a Jekyll and Hyde in it

TBF, I wasn't born then :p

FM is an enigma. The effect it has on people is scary, and I for one will openly admit to being addicted to it.

Me, I am definitely addicted to any game which has a serious amount of replayability, the basics are tough but you can get over them and the depth of those games has to be really deep.
Unfortunately, not many games are like that. I am a young gamer - really got into gaming about 4 years ago - and that's with Football Manager 2008. Then I started not using cheat, beating games easily, and really enjoy games. I eagerly wait for every FM since then and I am always fascinated by the changes they bring in and doing all the things manager do. From the feedback I've heard, it's much more realistic, with having to always look out for tactics etc. don't want to bore here; I feel when I get the game, I'll be hard pressed to go to school or study at all(although I don't study all that much really but...). I seriously believe it will be worse then when I got FM12 last year or DA:Origins(way before that) or Crusader Kings 2(CROATIAN EMPIRE FTW!). Every real FM player is addicted to it - not one can forsake it. It is not like drugs - you can have an actual life outside of it; but you will always, ALWAYS be compelled to play it.(also sorry if I am not very clear, that's partly the way we speak in my region and partly me being awesome as that!)

I spend the majority of my time on FM, I'll give this a read. Definitely!

Mine and my brothers combined playtime (we play on the same Steam account) is 1790 hours for FM12.. Thats over 10 whole weeks! XD This years is already at almost 200 hours!

Mine and my brothers combined playtime (we play on the same Steam account) is 1790 hours for FM12.. Thats over 10 whole weeks! XD This years is already at almost 200 hours!

I did over 2000 hours on FM 2012 since I got it in mid February! Currently on 105 hours for FM 2013. XD

After seeing that I compelled 807 hours on FM11, 1448 hours on FM12 and 100 hours on FM13 already, I have notched up an average of 3 hours a day for the last 2 years. I think it's safe to say I'm addicted :s.

As a real life football coach, maybe it does have its benefits?

After seeing that I compelled 807 hours on FM11, 1448 hours on FM12 and 100 hours on FM13 already, I have notched up an average of 3 hours a day for the last 2 years. I think it's safe to say I'm addicted :s.

As a real life football coach, maybe it does have its benefits?

I'm a youth coach for my local team and I find that FM can occasionally help me visualise some tactical approaches. Apart from that, I treat both things as separate entitites. I have heard tales of real-life coaches applying the FM 1-20 attribute logging system to their players, though!

(I've also logged around 2000 hours in the past couple of years, i've spent about 3 times as long as a virtual manager, than as a real-life one!)

Its a cracking book well worth the price, read it while i was offshore.:D

I'm addicted to this game..but the biggest trouble is i'm not very good at it.. anyone else have this unearthy problem?

I still remember having to learn MS DOS so that I could play the 1996 version.