How Football Manager Stole One Man's Life

ive lost count how many girlfriends have dumped me cos id rather try banging a few more goals in than go bang them lol

I always knew i was addicted to FM,

Picked up the 99/00 edition as my first PC game and never looked back.

I work nightshift loading lorries and last week i was working away,Dragging my cages back and forth from the bay..Stressing over in my head about my dip in form as Celtic manager on FM,

Got an idea about a tactic in my head and needed to write it down to see how it looked...So grabbed a marker pen,
And drew it on the inside of the Lorry,

The foreign dude i was working with was like "hey,what is that?"

"Football manager tactic"...

The next 3 hours we spend discussing different players and formations and accomplishments,

Its Deffo A universal language! haha

I have played champ man/fm since day one. Ah the good old days when the first champ man didn't even have real player names.

I'm a youth coach for my local team and I find that FM can occasionally help me visualise some tactical approaches. Apart from that, I treat both things as separate entitites. I have heard tales of real-life coaches applying the FM 1-20 attribute logging system to their players, though!

(I've also logged around 2000 hours in the past couple of years, i've spent about 3 times as long as a virtual manager, than as a real-life one!)

Despite being in the last year of a Sport Coaching degree and having regular work for a pro-team as a youth coach / scout I still find myself spending more time in the virtual world than real life :S

I gave this a read a while back. Pretty astonishing the amount of work and hours they put into it in the early days with such a small team.

No idea how I came across it but I bought FM 05 as my first managerial game. Loved it from day one and have had everyone since. Played about 1000 hours on FM 11 which was the most out of my group by a long way. It's something that I didn't think many people played until I moved schools and found out how many did. Universal game most definitely.

I started on FM 05 when I was 10 or 11 and would get up at 6am before school to play it in the morning for 2 hours, then come home and play all night, did that all year on FM 05 with my friend as we both had free hour long calls to home phones, so we rang for 59 mins and hung up, then rang again lol.

I have always and will always love FM

Reposted in here :)

Football Manager stole my life: 20 years of beautiful obsession

For anyone who hasn't I strongly suggest you read this book before you go off slating FM 13 and the various bugs in the game. I'm only 37% of the way in (reading on Kindle), but it was definitely worth the few quid off Amazon.

I appreciate the game has a few errors in it but reading this book you can see the incredible amount of work, the highs and lows and the trials and tribulations that SI go through every year trying to improve on the game. It covers everything from the great players we all used to buy from Mark Kerr to Cherno Samba (including interviews with many others that never realised that 180 PA in the real world.

But it also covers the battle against Piracy and and the difficulties of previous releases being late or not compatible with all systems or the appearance on Watchdog.

Considering this started out as two brothers messing around on BBC computer I'd say they've done a f*****g good job of producing FMto the standard it is today, bearing in mind that they have over a 1000 researchers, one of which is now the Chief scout at Sporting Lisbon (or one of the other 2 big Portuguese clubs) and also Everton use their database as part of their scouting network.

So before you go ranting and raving about a cross shot costing you two points at Old Trafford have a read and be a little appreciative of the effort behind the game. I'm not saying it's a perfect game, there never will be or else we wouldn't be waiting for FM 2014.

Just be a little more constructive with you're points about the issues as they are more likely to be fixed if the comments are sensible rather than "it's **** and I'm going back to FM 12"!

Probably THE last best product to be manufactured in Great Britain.

Long live Football Manager!

I always knew i was addicted to FM,

Picked up the 99/00 edition as my first PC game and never looked back.

I work nightshift loading lorries and last week i was working away,Dragging my cages back and forth from the bay..Stressing over in my head about my dip in form as Celtic manager on FM,

Got an idea about a tactic in my head and needed to write it down to see how it looked...So grabbed a marker pen,
And drew it on the inside of the Lorry,

The foreign dude i was working with was like "hey,what is that?"

"Football manager tactic"...

The next 3 hours we spend discussing different players and formations and accomplishments,

Its Deffo A universal language! haha

This post right here... tells you everything you need to know about why this is the greatest game ever!!