How to make a Inside Forward more deadly

donkarlito

Reaction score
Is there any sort of tweak or something to make them more deadly currently using tiki-taka from A Guide to Formations and Tactics in FM

from A Guide to Formations and Tactics in FM
I think this is a job for me. Back away people, let the expert through... :p

Try using an attacking full-back in combination with him, so that he has an extra passing option on the outside of him. Also, try to use "wrong-footed" wingers, i.e. a right footed winger on the left and vice versa. I find another way to increase their effectiveness is giving them more space to run into, for example using them in a 4-3-3 rather than a 4-2-3-1, in which the latter has an attacking midfielder taking up space.

Last edited:

Try using an attacking full-back in combination with him, so that he has an extra passing option on the outside of him. Also, try to use "wrong-footed" wingers, i.e. a right footed winger on the left and vice versa. I find another way to increase their effectiveness is giving them more space to run into, for example using them in a 4-3-3 rather than a 4-2-3-1, in which the latter has an attacking midfielder taking up space.

1st question do i still use rb as a attacking full back as well
2nd how about make it team play wider currently using narrow to help keep ball better

p.s. Doesnt help test with paraguay their ****

1st question do i still use rb as a attacking full back as well
2nd how about make it team play wider currently using narrow to help keep ball better

p.s. Doesnt help test with paraguay their ****

1) Depends. I'm assuming you're using the left-sided winger as the inside forward, right? In which case, you'll want to make the left-sided full back an attacking one. If you have good cover for both flanks (i.e. two defensive mids) I don't see you can't make the right sided one attacking as well.
2) That may well help, yes.

Im using inside forward in the STL position like pictured in A Guide to Formations and Tactics in FM

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Does anyone else think it strange that fm uses the STL and STR positions as wingers not forwards

Im using inside forward in the STL position like pictured in A Guide to Formations and Tactics in FM

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Does anyone else think it strange that fm uses the STL and STR positions as wingers not forwards

Interesting that you should be trying Tiki-Taka, I never really got it to work too well. That was more of a theoretical formation rather than a one that works well, but hey ho.

If you think about it it makes more sense that they're wingers rather than forwards.

i dont understand how can you make them more effective

Interesting that you should be trying Tiki-Taka, I never really got it to work too well. That was more of a theoretical formation rather than a one that works well, but hey ho.

Tiki-Taka is about movement, moving the ball in intricate patterns,and sharp, one or two-touch passing only probably with fm is you try and keep the ball shot and low then someone decides to play route one and belts the ball up field

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Possibly changing the mentality, freedom i think one tip was to set them as the target man i think and have them run onto the ball

Tiki-Taka is about movement, moving the ball in intricate patterns,and sharp, one or two-touch passing only probably with fm is you try and keep the ball shot and low then someone decides to play route one and belts the ball up field

You have the same problem as me, I see.

Possibly changing the mentality, freedom i think one tip was to set them as the target man i think and have them run onto the ball

Yep, if you set them as either Target Man - Ball to Feet or the Playmaker of the team it works a treat.

I just told you, really, but if you want more info try the link in my signature.

In my opinion, this is where inside forwards/ wingers play in real life

Get attacking wing backs on their respective sides, play a 4-3-3 to give them space to manoeuvre, use a creative striker that can feed them chances, and try and get one with immense pace. I'm thinking an RVP/Walcott combination, with training focus on composure Walcott is absolutely lethal deployed this way.

In my opinion, this is where inside forwards/ wingers play in real life
they dont play that high up, if they did they were be cut off from support, thats is very high up the pitch, up against the full back, inside forwards start in space

they dont play that high up, if they did they were be cut off from support, thats is very high up the pitch, up against the full back, inside forwards start in space

What about Malouda and Anelka for Chelsea ?

On the other hand, the game sees the SL/R slots as ones like Robben's for the Dutch or Villa's for Spain, very high wingers pressed up against the defence.

What about Malouda and Anelka for Chelsea ?

They generally play deeper, especially Malouda.

they dont play that high up, its what makes them and other inside forwards dangerous, they are running at the defense at pace.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

On the other hand, the game sees the SL/R slots as ones like Robben's for the Dutch or Villa's for Spain, very high wingers pressed up against the defence.

They generally play deeper, especially Malouda.
agree with you about robben, but not so sure about villa

agree with you about robben, but not so sure about villa

If we take their attack against Chile, for example, Villa plays on an axis not too far off Torres'. As the article mentions, it's similar in role to Robinho's role for Brazil.

If we take their attack against Chile, for example, Villa plays on an axis not too far off Torres'. As the article mentions, it's similar in role to Robinho's role for Brazil.
agreed, but then torres wasnt all that high up the pitch and the chileans were playing a very high defensive line. Certainly he was high up the pitch relative to iniesta

agreed, but then torres wasnt all that high up the pitch and the chileans were playing a very high defensive line. Certainly he was high up the pitch relative to iniesta

Villa doesn't really play a true inside forward role in the same way Eljero Elia, Ashley Young or the supreme example Ronaldo does, he plays up against the fullback and tries to run the channels between the two defenders. Robinho does this as well, as has Neymar in Menezes' most recent friendlies. This is only my opinion of course.

Last edited:
Villa doesn't really play a true inside forward role in the same way Eljero Elia, Ashley Young or the supreme example Ronaldo does, he plays up against the fullback and tries to run the channels between the two defenders. Robinho does this as well, as has Neymar in Menezes' most recent friendlies. This is only my opinion of course.
huh, never looked at it that way, will take a look at barca over the next few weeks. Which raises a question FM wise, should inside forward have Forwards Runs set to often in FM, as it often means they are up against the fullback very often, why not mixed runs, to find that bit of space a little deeper to turn at and run at the back line?