How to manage Blackburn , please help

Anlaby7Hull

Reaction score
So this is my first save on the full version of Football Manager 2011 , I did play a lot on the Demo but never really got into any of the save's I started on it. However I vowed that when I got the full game I would stick to one game for at least a couple of season's .
Right , this isn't a story of such , I will be posting up screenshots of some of my transfer's , tactics etc but only so I can ask people how I can improve on my management skill's within the game. You see , I have never been the most patient or dedicated player of Football Manager so what I thought was if I just post my game progress casually and see if I can pick up any tips on how to improve that that would help me stick at my save's rather than restarting.
I decided to start with Blackburn , the DB i'm using for this is the Winter Update.
With a starting budget of £5M for a Top Half Finish , I thought to myself , that's not going to be too hard. What's going to be hard is making it until the end of the season without starting a new game. I will be askng a lot of questions in this , just on tactics , which player's are good etc etc .
I also do all my own tactics as I do not like to use other people's , it give's me a bit more sense of accomplishment if I find I have created a decent tactic.
So , here we go. Well done , if you read all that ^ by the way as I kinda got carried away a bit .
I will shortly post up a screenshot of my formation , if you have any tips,advice ,critiscm it would be much appreciated and be taken on board

Right , here is the formation I went for to start off with. I also decided to transfer list Jason Roberts as the formation has a lone striker and I felt he was the weakest from the four I had. He was also eating up £35.000 of the wage bill too , so that could be freed up to be spent on a better player.

Player Roles are
Full Back - Defend
Full Back - Defend
Central Def - Stopper
Central Def - Cover
Anchor Man - Defend
Advanced Playmaker - Attack
Box to Box - Support
Winger - Attack
Winger - Attack
Advance Forward - Attack

Last edited:
Still I think you should post this in the story section. It might get popular since the followers will actually have a saying :D

Drop Julie Andrews would be my advice mate. That is the area of the pitch Rovers need to strengthen. Try to get a fast, creative central midfielder.

Just my point of view from watching Rovers week in, week out.

Still I think you should post this in the story section. It might get popular since the followers will actually have a saying :D

Is there any way I can move the thread to a different section without starting again ?

Drop Julie Andrews would be my advice mate. That is the area of the pitch Rovers need to strengthen. Try to get a fast, creative central midfielder.

Just my point of view from watching Rovers week in, week out.

Okay thanks mate , i'll have a quick look on the player search for one now. Do you think I should try and sell Andrew or just use him as a bench player ?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you can do it yourself. Try clicking around :)
But if not, you can just ask a moderator to do it. They should be able to do that.

wrong section mate :S
I said this isn't a story as such , i would just like a few tips on how to become better at this game
But if a few people say it's in the wrong section , i'll ask for it to be moved

Last edited:
Okay thanks mate , i'll have a quick look on the player search for one now. Do you think I should try and sell Andrew or just use him as a bench player ?

Try and sell him. If not maybe play Grella as a deep lying playmaker with N'Zonzi alonside Dunn?

Nice to see a Rovers story mate.

Try and sell him. If not maybe play Grella as a deep lying playmaker with N'Zonzi alonside Dunn?

Nice to see a Rovers story mate.

Thanks mate , i'll try that. Set asking price of £2.3M for Andrews , should think someone will come in for him at that price

I have managed to sell
Jason Roberts for £500K to Stoke , I know the price is abit low but he was on £35.000 a week so I thought it would be best to free up the wage bill rather than hold out for more money. I have also managed to sell Keith Andrews to Fulham for £2.3M , I now have a transfer kitty of £7.1M and 79K left for wages

Last edited:
Thanks mate , i'll try that. Set asking price of £2.3M for Andrews , should think someone will come in for him at that price

I have managed to sell Jason Roberts for £500K to Stoke , I know the price is abit low but he was on £35.000 a week so I thought it would be best to free up the wage bill rather than hold out for more money.
I have also accepted a bid of £2.3M from Fulham for Keith Andrews.

Well done.

You got any targets in mind?

Tbh I would keep andrews as he does quite a good job for clubs like blackburn. I would send the young players such as doran and jones out on loan to gain some experience and improve on their stats. I would recommend you sell roberts and maybe benjani although benjani can be useful as a backup. Also you should put hoilett in the first team and perhaps try to sell santa cruz

You need to be able to manage Real Madrid and Man United... Like Big S!

Well done.

You got any targets in mind?

I need a young-ish left back to cover for Martin Olsson , so I was looking at Dodo , available for £1.3M , I was just waiting to see how much money I got put into the budget from the player sales'.

Tbh I would keep andrews as he does quite a good job for clubs like blackburn. I would send the young players such as doran and jones out on loan to gain some experience and improve on their stats. I would recommend you sell roberts and maybe benjani although benjani can be useful as a backup. Also you should put hoilett in the first team and perhaps try to sell santa cruz

I have already sold Andrews. I was thinking of selling Benjani but it means I'll only have 2 first team strikers left and one of them is on loan. If I can get another striker in , i'll let him go.
Thanks for the advice mate , much appreciated

You need to be able to manage Real Madrid and Man United... Like Big S!

?????????????

Last edited:
Do try to get Dodo. He's extremely good for the money.
And as for Jones, make sure he gets enough games, in games with lesser importance or subbing him in, as he is an amazing prospect.

Do try to get Dodo. He's extremely good for the money.
And as for Jones, make sure he gets enough games, in games with lesser importance or subbing him in, as he is an amazing prospect.

Yeah , I was going to try and get Ryan Nelsen to tutor Phil Jones , I do want to try and keep hold of him for the season's to come

Last edited:
If your short on strikers then you could always loan jo and or roque santa cruz and maybe even go for jordi gomez if he suits your formation. Also look in the higher championship clubs and maybe rangers and celtic and you could try to get charlie austin as a back up. For a back up left back then go for diego contento as he can be very useful.

If your short on strikers then you could always loan jo and or roque santa cruz and maybe even go for jordi gomez if he suits your formation. Also look in the higher championship clubs and maybe rangers and celtic and you could try to get charlie austin as a back up. For a back up left back then go for diego contento as he can be very useful.

I had a look on the Loan List , and I found Miralem Sulejmani his natural position is AMC , do you think he could be a good backup for David Dunn as the Advanced Playmaker or be in the first 11 ?

I had a look on the Loan List , and I found Miralem Sulejmani his natural position is AMC , do you think he could be a good backup for David Dunn as the Advanced Playmaker or be in the first 11 ?

Great backup for dunn tbh as he is already quite good and still young and he is quite versatile. Signed him on my man utd network game and although he hasn't played many he seems to be quite good. Depends on what formation you play if you want to start him, I would pick dunn over him though.