How to set up a Bayern-like tactic (4-2-3-1 Deep)

Igneos79

Banned
Reaction score
How to set up Bayern tactic (4-2-3-1 Deep)

Bayern uses a 4-2-3-1 Deep formation. It's a reserved shape of classic 4-2-3-1, and offers greater pitch coverage. Bayern plays with a defensive forward whose role is to put pressure on opponents centre backs, so they can't organise an attack from deep. It is said Bayern plays counter attack, but if you know anything about football, then you know high defensive line and counter attack don't go well together. However, Bayern actually forces the opponent to attack them in a certain way, and then they beat them to the ball. A squeezed play, high defensive line, lot's of pressing on a narrow width in combination with this formation make the cream of the crop of football today. Two defensive midfielders in a support-defend roles, make the classic stopper centre backs not needed. One brakes up opposition attacks, and intercepts their passes, while the other is more creative and joins the attack himself (deep lying playmaker - support and anchor man). Two inside forwards duty is to dribble and cut inside and overload the box offering a surplus man, while the fullbacks are providing width. This formation utilizes an AMC, and his job is to unlock opposition defence, and help with defending aswell. Bayern, unlike Barcelona, controls space, not the ball.

Download it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/lz7g50u6mu8ia31/FC_Bayern.tac

Last edited:
here is the tactic for download, if you do not wish to create it yourself

Minken.tac

I have taken the liberty to implement all the shouts required, and marked the checkboxes, so you do not need to click on anything. It's plug 'n' play. All the sliders have been moved by creator itself. I haven't touched a thing.

Last edited:
Playing possession football and counter attack football is not something that excludes the other. It perfectly possible to have a match plan that means that attacks are patient and playing one touch football and also always be prepared to launch a quick attack on the break when the opponent pushes up and leaves gaps behind them.

TheBetterHalf is correct. Ticking the counter attack box means the team will play on counter when the counter opportunity shows itself. When you can't counter, they will play possession football.

TheBetterHalf is correct. Ticking the counter attack box means the team will play on counter when the counter opportunity shows itself. When you can't counter, they will play possession football.

Ticking counter attack lowers the threshold at which a counter attack is triggered, You can have counter attacks occur without ticking counter attack, but the frequency at which you will get them is higher obviously with it ticked. It's not necessarily a good or bad thing ( that depends on your particular set up), but its something to be aware of

Like Mike wrote, its the urgency to make a counter attack, a risk & reward thing and it's something to monitor before and during matches and is certainly something that B.M has a very Indepth plan for in every single game. The likelihood of them putting that extra amount if focus on preparing for swift attacks when facing a weak team at home is very small, but away to Dortmund etc, be sure that they know what to do if Dortmund should drop deeper, push up their wingbacks etc. In the end, it's a risk & reward thing, Should we push up our wingbacks before the attack is launched or should they support and join the attack after that t-ball is played out wide.

I'm okay saying you didn't test this actual tactic itself yeah? Because if you haven't don't bother I just tested it for about half a season and I can honestly say it's the worst bayern tactic I've ever used. The only thing that it recreates is the winning back possession. They is no fluidity in the attacks, the defending is all over the place with Lahm literally becoming a winger. During pre season it was doing awful but I thought that was just the usual pre season stuff. What was really surprising is you found a tactic to stop Muller scoring who can easily get over 30 goals a season(Over 40 if using goals galore) playing in the hole and also managed to get Ribery and Robben to not dribble forward and instead just dribble from side to side passing really really short having no penetration at all. Although the idea of using a defensive forward is a very good one and I will be trying to incorporate that into my future games.

Oh and before anyone tries to sound condescending asking me stupid questions about teamtalks training etc, I did all that part correctly but I didn't tweak anything in the tactic except had Felliani attacking near post instead of Badstuber.

Most of the goals I conceded were from headers which were a product the opponents going down their left wing and crosses unopposed due to Lahm playing more like a winger. I suppose if you tweaked Lahm to defend, and got Robben and Ribery to stop moving into Muller's area and actually use they're dribbling out wide or cut in later as they do in real life, thus giving Muller/Kroos more space then the tactic may not be terrible.

Most of the goals I conceded were from headers which were a product the opponents going down their left wing and crosses unopposed due to Lahm playing more like a winger. I suppose if you tweaked Lahm to defend, and got Robben and Ribery to stop moving into Muller's area and actually use they're dribbling out wide or cut in later as they do in real life, thus giving Muller/Kroos more space then the tactic may not be terrible.

When I click on Lahm, it says he is wing back attack...the added aggressivness is from using a overlap shout, which also sets the inside forwards to hold on to ball, and wait for support. If that is the problem, then perhaps it shouldn't be used. Thank you.

I really like the idea of using a defensive forward. But do a Gomez or Mandzukic work well for you? I signed Schurrle for the role and sold Gomez?

as long as his attributes are okay, and he has marks opponents tightly, shoots from distance and shoots with power ppm's, he will do fine...

any comments on this tacts on away matches on equally match or better teams? or even away against team that are favorite to win?

played a few using it. so far it looks great. loving it but most of the time i have problems with the finish. they are getting into the positions and build-up play is good. its just the finishing is usually a let down

Last edited:
I think with the defensive forward that was bound to happen. is there a way to have him act as a defensive forward but once we have possession to act as an advanced or poacher? This tactic doesn't seem to have a real fulcrum for it's ttack.

the defensive forward is usually holding up the ball for the rest of the team....therefore he needs to be strong, and your midfielders must have good finishing...he is supposed to score only when he is near to the goal, or from distance only if he has those ppm's....mandza should do fine in the role, and finishing should be good. I have tried the tactic with sunderland, and both long and fletcher seem to be doing fine. Pay attention to his form and morale.

Can you show us some screenshots of your testing?

I finally found out what was the problem with inconsistent performance. It was the philosophy. I have set it to very rigid now, and it works like a charm. Download it here:

FC Bayern.tac