ramie

Reaction score
How to Stop Player Passing... Well I have a player who should run with the ball more but instead passes al ot. He has dribbling at 20, pace high etc and PPM such as runs with ball often, but yet i cant seem to set him up to play to his strengths.

I have him set up with Laffels messi role

thanks

Laffels messi role have defensive mentality. I think the problem is there, so the player seems didn't have desire to attack as his defensive mentality. Try to more attacking mentality + RWB often + hold up ball.

Laffels messi role have defensive mentality. I think the problem is there, so the player seems didn't have desire to attack as his defensive mentality. Try to more attacking mentality + RWB often + hold up ball.

thanks il try change it up but why hold up ball?

Judging by what you have said, got no idea about Laffels thingy but without boasting, I normally get individual tactics for my own player pretty spot on. I agree with 90% of what the last guy said but also have doubts about hold up ball unless he has + 15 in strength? Attacking mentality should be high, short passing like 4 clicks from the lowest setting, runs with ball often and runs from deep often too selected. If his passing sucks try to teach him short simple passing as a ppm too or give him a tutor that has this.

I'd know a lot more if you could post a screen shot of the player but that should work and tell us what position he is, already sounds best suited as a winger anyway from what you have said.

why would runs from deep often make him dribble more?

Last edited:
why would runs from deep often make him dribble more?
Because when he picks up the ball from a deep position he's more likely to run the ball up the pitch instead of playing it off to somone else.

I thought runs from deep was making a run without the ball?

I think the best thing to do is to give them high attacking mentality and high creative freedom. See if that works.

I think the best thing to do is to give them high attacking mentality and high creative freedom. See if that works.

i think they mixed up come deep for ball and run from deep
i agree, high mentality and creative freedom,

Set his mentality to Attacking ( full), full creative freedom, runs with ball often, roam from position, and passing on long

If I max his mentality wont he be one of the most advanced players in your team (if not the most advanced). For someone to run there has to be something to run towards, if he starts off the shoulders of the last defender the only thing he has to do is turn and shoot so why should he make runs?

If he is to dribble more then wouldnt a lower mentality and run from deep less then this way he starts deeper and actually has opponents to run past?

High Attacking mentality, freedom, RWB often, and run from deep OFTEN. I've found that with RFD often they'll make more attacking run with the ball(off the ball too) like strikers, so obviously you can use his 20 dribbling stats to advantage. While with RFD rarely they'll make more passes instead of running with ball

What sort of passing should I set? Long, short etc

Mentality only affects his position on the pitch, so a full attacking mentality will push him up against the opposition defenders. Laffle's Messi role has a defensive mentality to encourage him to collect the ball from deep and then bring it forward.

Seems to do both for me.

Oh yeah I think that too, been tweaking and it does seem to make the player dribble more.

Still trying to work out the perfect setting, been using a normal mentality and getting and av of 7.49 per game :)

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Is setting creative freedom to max like telling him that he can ignore every other instruction as he sees fit and just play his own game?

Mentality only affects his position on the pitch, so a full attacking mentality will push him up against the opposition defenders. Laffle's Messi role has a defensive mentality to encourage him to collect the ball from deep and then bring it forward.

No it doesn't, mentality co-operates with other player instructions. For example two players with through balls set to sometimes, one with defensive mentality and one with attacking, the attacking one is going to make more through balls. Also with run from deep, the one with lower mentality is going to make those runs later, near the opposition area rather than starting to make a run forward immediately when you have won the ball in your own half. Also it affects whether player looks to play safe (defensive mentality) or look to get the ball forward every time (attacking mentality).

Upping his mentality should help.

He will look to "attack" the opposition by dribbling at them.

I've got two strikers with similar qualities, one has attacking mentality and the other defensive. The defensive one drops a good bit deeper and plays a lot more passes. The attacking one will dribble at the goal and take shots while ignoring passing options because in effect, as the manager, I've told him to think about attacking and scoring goals. If I swap the two strikers, they will still follow the roles of the position (attack vs defense) so I know their performances isn't based on their own attributes.

Your player when set to attacking mentality will still probably pass a good bit. If he's any good he won't be stupid enough to dribble into a cul-de-sac.

Here is my current set up

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Montanaro could i see your set up?

thanks

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

Upping his mentality should help.

He will look to "attack" the opposition by dribbling at them.

I've got two strikers with similar qualities, one has attacking mentality and the other defensive. The defensive one drops a good bit deeper and plays a lot more passes. The attacking one will dribble at the goal and take shots while ignoring passing options because in effect, as the manager, I've told him to think about attacking and scoring goals. If I swap the two strikers, they will still follow the roles of the position (attack vs defense) so I know their performances isn't based on their own attributes.

Your player when set to attacking mentality will still probably pass a good bit. If he's any good he won't be stupid enough to dribble into a cul-de-sac.

Do you have the attacking player (dribbler) on RFD on often?