How to Work through the Leagues ?

sanchez1

Reaction score
Hello ,

Im just new to the forum :)

I started a season on FM09 with Ashford (Middlesex) but really struggling at the moment (near the bottom) and i am trying to do what you have done and your myself threw the leagues this is my 2nd season in Blue Square South. Can you give me any tips at all? Players to sign? Formation to use? Anything??

Thanks alot

best player i ever signed was Juho Makela from Hearts Reserves. I highly doubt he would want to go to you so id look through the cola championship leagues' reserve teams and hammer out a loan deal. a player to look out for if you can get also is stuart fleetwood. kicks a at ccl1 but again whether he will want to go to you is highly dependent.

You won't rise through the ranks very fast with a Lower League Side mate, unless you are cheating (or exceptionally very, very clever).

The whole fun of Lower League Management (LLM) is struggling and eventually rising to the top. But struggling can sometimes be the more enjoyable part of management.

Copping the sack twice in one season was my worst last year, and I also managed to relegate a Conference North team, which always results in joining the unemployed line.

Personally I tend to avoid tactic tipping, its really not in my ethos to use other people's work. However, there are a number of threads that discuss tactics in this forum and you should look over them (it will at least give you a few ideas).

My best tip is to advertise for a scout asap (if you don't have one to start with) and get scouting. Take note of what your *** man has to say about the team if you aren't sure where to strengthen in the transfer windows.

If you can't hack losing, jump up a few leagues (with bigger budgets) or go and manage in a smaller league like Wales/Norn Ireland. Eventually you'll work out a universal frame for tactics that you can adjust for most teams you work with.

And don't stress about losing. . . Arsene Wenger doesn't seem to be and look how the Gooners are going. ;-(

I disagree, I have managed it once before on fm and Gregor got AFC Wimbledon to the highest posible rank on the last fm so it can be done.

You just need a good tactic maybe a good parent club to loan you players and find a few good freebies

I disagree, I have managed it once before on fm and Gregor got AFC Wimbledon to the highest posible rank on the last fm so it can be done.

You just need a good tactic maybe a good parent club to loan you players and find a few good freebies

My point was not that it can't be done, just that it takes time.
If someone would like to tell me that they have taken a Conference North side to the Euro Champions League in consecutive seasons I would love to hear how.
Finances alone would prevent that kind of serious rapid development. Hence why I believe someone must be cheating.

Consecutive promotions are hard enough, yet alone 6 consecutive promotions.

Though I admit I do not use the search function, and this would help you find better players faster, I prefer to play the game realistically.

It can be done, but not overnight.

How many English lower league clubs have established parent club/feeder systems in real life?

None. You are essentially cheating if you take advantage of this option in England. The FA prohibited this system a number of years ago.
Understandably.

Don't sign too many players as it always leads to high wages and big debts. Just sign who you need and be careful with your money as you will need as much as you can get when you do get promoted and find yoursefl up agains much richer sides.

Play 4-4-2...trying to complicate things wont pay off in lower leagues. Get a good feeder club with a good youth system, eg Crewe (a good example of a realistic parent club for non league team)

once i got rushden from conference to Prem in consecutive seasons on 00/01 but they were financial well off compared to other lower league teams....

How many English lower league clubs have established parent club/feeder systems in real life?

None. You are essentially cheating if you take advantage of this option in England. The FA prohibited this system a number of years ago.
Understandably.

sorry mate, i misunderstood what you said, I know what you mean it takes time but it's always going too. I think it took gregor like 7 season to get out of the championship.

I plan to try this now btw you have put me in the mood

Yup on 08 I got AFC out of conf south in 1 season, then 2 in BSP, then consec promotions to TC, but i was in TC for like 5 seasons, made the playoffs like 4 tiems including the final twice :mad: However I onyl doen this after playing the game for like 7-8 months.

Im in 2028 now btw with AFC W and ive won everything 3 years in a row and been in the cl final for the past 6 years winning 4

Yup on 08 I got AFC out of conf south in 1 season, then 2 in BSP, then consec promotions to TC, but i was in TC for like 5 seasons, made the playoffs like 4 tiems including the final twice :mad: However I onyl doen this after playing the game for like 7-8 months.

Im in 2028 now btw with AFC W and ive won everything 3 years in a row and been in the cl final for the past 6 years winning 4

That's classic! Great work. (H)
I remember the old "crazy gang" Wimbledon with Vinnie Jones, I hope your Champions League winners are a little more professional. :-D

I plan to try this now btw you have put me in the mood

Good luck. Hopefully you can keep us updated on your progress?

I will :) got a good game going just now so i will start after that

i always say in the lowest leagues i tend to go for physical stats first in leagues like the one you are in passing ability of 5+ is really good etc as the overall quality of players is lower (not meaning to state the obvious there) id tend to keep things extremely simple, i.e have defenders set to ultra defensive, i use my wingers alot i always have them attack minded as far as i can go, i tend to play a diamond in midfield with the def mid extremely defensive again and the att mid extremely attack minded again he is always my playmaker and i will then have a target man and a fast striker for your league 10+ is fast but id always go for the big tall phsyical players in lower leagues - doesnt work for everyone but seems to work for me

i always say in the lowest leagues i tend to go for physical stats first in leagues like the one you are in passing ability of 5+ is really good etc as the overall quality of players is lower (not meaning to state the obvious there) id tend to keep things extremely simple, i.e have defenders set to ultra defensive, i use my wingers alot i always have them attack minded as far as i can go, i tend to play a diamond in midfield with the def mid extremely defensive again and the att mid extremely attack minded again he is always my playmaker and i will then have a target man and a fast striker for your league 10+ is fast but id always go for the big tall phsyical players in lower leagues - doesnt work for everyone but seems to work for me

That certainly never seems to work for me, it's a formation I used to use a lot in 06 with some success. These days I find far too many holes exposed in my midfield with wingers and one midfielder with full attack mentality.
If it works for you, however, keep up the good work.

Yeh id say you need two battlers in central midfield in lower leagues, flair midfielders dont really work......and i agree if you can get a quick striker they will get plenty of chances

for years on fm , all youve needed is a striker with one particular attribute, if hes overly strong, fast, tall, skillful - he will be a success in the lower leagues.

if you can try and set you best players with professional contract, i dont usually bother with the older ones just the younger ones as this will help there stats increase quicker. also dont be scared to spend you extra wage budget on coaches not players, you will not see the benifit initally like with a new player (although with the team gelling in this version who knows) but you will benefit everywhere not in just one position, and when you are using semi-pro players injuries at fitness are a problem so improving your back-up in this way is essencial

Still Struggling

Hello Guys

I still seem to be struggling just can't seem to win a game the opposition keep dominating a scoring goals for fun. Any advice or tips.

I can do a print screen of any details you need about the mighty Ashford ?

Hello Guys

I still seem to be struggling just can't seem to win a game the opposition keep dominating a scoring goals for fun. Any advice or tips.

I can do a print screen of any details you need about the mighty Ashford ?

if you keep missing/keep hitting it at the keeper change your creativity, more is more likely to hit it from afar, less iss more likely to blast it at the keeper, please dont edit your entire team to make them do this either way just the front men, and if it doesnt work, dont try and blame me.... (this seems to be happening every now and then, with some people) if your strikers have low one on ones (hidden stat) its not my fault.

sorry to be pedantic, ive had a couple of people go mental recently because they havent listen to what i said and booted off because they didnt listen to what i said and blamed me.

Just a quick tip. I've just managed to sign Miguel Rebosio from Cesar Vallejo on a free. He was near the end of his contract. Waiting till the Jan transfer window for him to join but he looks to be an outstanding defender for my BSP Ebbsfleet side.