Howard Webb Encourages 'Diving'

I think that if enough contact is made, it is REASONABLE to go down, but if it is only a tap as Alex has said, that is stupid, and yes, considered 'Diving'. Sitting on the fence as always :D

Also yeah, I'd do what DMF says he does and just axe the kid who's, 'Diving' ;)

What's the advantage of going down?
You got tackled then you act going down, player argue with ref. Then player argue with opposition player, the BOOM a massive fight goes on.
Furthermore, if you act injured, you can't play the rest of the game plus there's a 50% chance you will miss the goal :p

but without going down it doesn't look like a proper foul

If the contact doesn't force you to go down, then it ISN'T a foul. (This is obviously not including shirt pulls etc.). Football is a contact sport, people (I.E You) need to stop being *******.

Just thought of an example where it might be okay to go down. Picture this...

--------​

Your running down the wing, the fullback running next to you.

He bumps you into touch with his shoulder and a bit of elbow.

The ref is a bit far away, the *** ref for this half is on the other side of the field and your a bit far away from the other *** ref.

You stumble, you know a foul won't be given because no one saw the elbow.

As you stumble you stop, 'trying to keep balance' and you go to ground

You get the free kick you deserve and no one gets hurt.

--------​

Reasonable no?

Just thought of an example where it might be okay to go down. Picture this...

--------​

Your running down the wing, the fullback running next to you.

He bumps you into touch with his shoulder and a bit of elbow.

The ref is a bit far away, the *** ref for this half is on the other side of the field and your a bit far away from the other *** ref.

You stumble, you know a foul won't be given because no one saw the elbow.

As you stumble you stop, 'trying to keep balance' and you go to ground

You get the free kick you deserve and no one gets hurt.

--------​

Reasonable no?

Reasonable, yes. Fair, no.

Who's to say you'll definitely get the foul anyway? If you are capable of staying on your feet, then you should. That's how the game should be played.

Reasonable, yes. Fair, no.

Who's to say you'll definitely get the foul anyway? If you are capable of staying on your feet, then you should. That's how the game should be played.

That's your opinion, and yes I get your point. BUT, if he has used elbow, that is illegal contact I believe, and if you don't get the foul, it's unfair to the attacker? Just my opinion :)

That's your opinion, and yes I get your point. BUT, if he has used elbow, that is illegal contact I believe, and if you don't get the foul, it's unfair to the attacker? Just my opinion :)

It is illegal contact, but just because there is illegal contact doesn't mean that the referee will 100% give the free-kick/penalty.

If you don't get a decision, doesn't mean you take matters into your own hands all jump on the floor. You play to the whistle, it's the first rule of football that you're taught after 'Don't use your hands'.

yes, that right. its fair

It is illegal contact, but just because there is illegal contact doesn't mean that the referee will 100% give the free-kick/penalty.

If you don't get a decision, doesn't mean you take matters into your own hands all jump on the floor. You play to the whistle, it's the first rule of football that you're taught after 'Don't use your hands'.

Totally understand where your coming from, and I know you never get every free kick/penalty you deserve, I just think you can improve your ratio a bit ;)

Oh and yeah, play to the whistle, but thats more about complaining for me. Not winning a foul. I have a guy on my team, he gets touched, AWWW REFF WAT THE ****! Extremely annoying!

All I did was copy title from the website. And 'Howard Webb encourages players to go down easier' was a too long- winded title.

No need for you to start crying, jeeeeeeeesus.

Merry ******* christmas to you to.

so many people get stuff like this from a website where if you actually watched anythin to do with it you'd know if was rubbish

just like the messi aint good enough for stoke thread... andy gray never said that

this is all part and parcel of the modern game, we all saw eduardo diving to win a penalty for arsenal

this is all part and parcel of the modern game, we all saw eduardo diving to win a penalty for arsenal

What we're saying is that it shouldn't be, which is why what Blackpool are doing is right. They are trying to play an honest game by staying up when they can rather than falling over at every opportunity and taking free kicks all the time when they don't have to. It makes for a more flowing football match too when the play isn't constantly stopped for fouls that don't need to be committed. Also, it would stop the referee's being abused by players as they wouldn't be giving decisions that aren't necessary.

What we're saying is that it shouldn't be, which is why what Blackpool are doing is right. They are trying to play an honest game by staying up when they can rather than falling over at every opportunity and taking free kicks all the time when they don't have to. It makes for a more flowing football match too when the play isn't constantly stopped for fouls that don't need to be committed. Also, it would stop the referee's being abused by players as they wouldn't be giving decisions that aren't necessary.

Yeah, we all want to see The Beautiful Game at it's best, but if you have a chance to win a free kick or penalty in the last minute of an important game with scores even, what are you gonna do? You are going to win the foul. It's as simple as that, and it can scale down to grass roots football, it's the way the game is played sometimes :S Unfortunately.

Yeah, we all want to see The Beautiful Game at it's best, but if you have a chance to win a free kick or penalty in the last minute of an important game with scores even, what are you gonna do? You are going to win the foul. It's as simple as that, and it can scale down to grass roots football, it's the way the game is played sometimes :S Unfortunately.

this is only fair right ;)

imo if you choose to go down, you are diving. if you are forced to the floor, thats a foul, fair do's, but anyone who makes a choice to hit the deck rather than being put there is a diver, and a cheat :)

but if u are foul and not noticed u should make the ref notice

No sometimes ref never notices. (EG Lampard's world cup disallowed goal).
So going down is kinda cheating but players forgot they can play on and continue with their attack. It's way better than to score a goal during set pieces right?

Gratz on your 1,000th post oneunited

get up and carry on, and tell the ref if he dont notice, you keep telling him he'll soon pay attention to you if you're always in his ear. just because the ref needs glasses does not condone cheating :)