Howard Webb Encourages 'Diving'

but due to the severity of the foul he may be off balance or may not even be able to continue

thank you, how kind of u to notice :D

If I played football with you, I think I'd go home early. Hate players with that kind of mentality. If you can stay standing, then you should. Simple as that. Going down when you can stay up is diving as it's seeking an advantage.

If I did play football with you, and you went down too easily every time, the next time I went in to tackle you I'd make sure you had a reason to fall over.

When fouled player has every right to go down. I'm not saying for slight contacts. You want to show you are big man and not get a penalty in games where stakes are so high? You might hate what ever you want but when the player is fouled he can go down. Thats what Webb told. Not for slightest touch, its when you are fouled, when you are kicked.

p.s Believe me, I'm very hard player and loves tackling.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

And i hate how Messi, Ronaldo are kicked at every opportunity. So when they are kicked they can go down. There is absolutely no need to show you are tough and get kicked all over the park.

i would love to have seen what he said before it went to the mirror

When fouled player has every right to go down. I'm not saying for slight contacts. You want to show you are big man and not get a penalty in games where stakes are so high? You might hate what ever you want but when the player is fouled he can go down. Thats what Webb told. Not for slightest touch, its when you are fouled, when you are kicked.

p.s Believe me, I'm very hard player and loves tackling.

But if you are able to stay on your feet, then you should stay up. If you choose to go down, then you are diving. Diving is cheating. What he is saying, is to go down instead of staying on your feet. So technically, he is telling them to dive. Whether there is loads of contact or a tiny amount of contact, if you can stay on your feet you should, in fairness of the sport.

But if you are able to stay on your feet, then you should stay up. If you choose to go down, then you are diving. Diving is cheating. What he is saying, is to go down instead of staying on your feet. So technically, he is telling them to dive. Whether there is loads of contact or a tiny amount of contact, if you can stay on your feet you should, in fairness of the sport.

If you are fouled and stay on feet and ref doesn't award free kick then my team will be at the receiving end. Like i said, when you are fouled, it should be called foul. Otherwise you are being cheated there.

Meh, it's really just the same as taking an opponent down before they can create an opportunity, difference is if you dive you are public enemy no.1. :S

If you are fouled and stay on feet and ref doesn't award free kick then my team will be at the receiving end. Like i said, when you are fouled, it should be called foul. Otherwise you are being cheated there.

But the referee may not deem it to be a foul. How many times have we seen when there has been shoulder to shoulder challenges and the referee has called foul and given the attacking player a free kick because he lost the challenge. It's not a foul in the rules, but the referee may deem it to be considering the circumstance of the tackle.

Just because you feel you've been fouled, doesn't mean you actually have been fouled. If it's a clear foul, then you will more than likely fall on the floor anyway, but if you choose to fall onto the floor looking for a free kick/penalty as a reward then you are cheating.

Simple.

But the referee may not deem it to be a foul. How many times have we seen when there has been shoulder to shoulder challenges and the referee has called foul and given the attacking player a free kick because he lost the challenge. It's not a foul in the rules, but the referee may deem it to be considering the circumstance of the tackle.

Just because you feel you've been fouled, doesn't mean you actually have been fouled. If it's a clear foul, then you will more than likely fall on the floor anyway, but if you choose to fall onto the floor looking for a free kick/penalty as a reward then you are cheating.

Simple.

Not really. Like i said in my first post, 2 season back i think, Anelka didn't get penalty just coz he stayed on his feet. When someone tried to trip you, you can regain balance, but that doesn't mean it is not a foul.

Check this video and see how many times Nani was fouled but he stayed on feet.

YouTube - Nani piece of skill vs Arsenal ( seal dribble )

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

But the referee may not deem it to be a foul. .

Refs might miss few fouls and have missed many tbh. Actual debate was going to ground when you are fouled.

Check this video and see how many times Nani was fouled but he stayed on feet.

YouTube - Nani piece of skill vs Arsenal ( seal dribble )

Refs might miss few fouls and have missed many tbh. Actual debate was going to ground when you are fouled.

And what?! It's a players prerogative whether he carries on or hit's the deck. They'll decide if they want to go to ground or not, the ref shouldn't say ''Oh you coulda gone down there''

And tbh I didn't think there were that many fouls there. It is a contact sport you know?

And what?! It's a players prerogative whether he carries on or hit's the deck. They'll decide if they want to go to ground or not, the ref shouldn't say ''Oh you coulda gone down there''

And tbh I didn't think there were that many fouls there. It is a contact sport you know?

Contact sport? Yes. That doesn't mean you can kick players.

When you are fouled you can go down. What is the problem there. You are Fouled and you get freekick. We are not even talking about how much contact or whether player judges foul or not. This is about When player is fouled.

Webb is spot on. He is not encouraging diving. All he said was go down when there was contact. I remember once Anelka was fouled in the box but he stayed on feet and didn't get penalty. Had he gone down he would have got penalty.

Title is misleading anyways. When contact is made, it wont be diving.

Contact sport? Yes. That doesn't mean you can kick players.

When you are fouled you can go down. What is the problem there. You are Fouled and you get freekick. We are not even talking about how much contact or whether player judges foul or not. This is about When player is fouled.

Yes when a player is fouled they can go down, doesn't mean they have to. But this seems to contradict what you put here when you said ''go down when there was contact'', implying here that you should go down when there is any contact at all. Not all contact is a foul which means = diving = cheating.

If you can stay on your feet then stay on your feet it not only means that if you score the is better and also if you do get fouled I think you'll be more likely to get the free-kick but yes if you do get elbowed, kicked, hit you should go down

Or we could have flags when ever you get fouled you drop to the ground and raise your flag and scream as loud as you can, or we can play football. I think diving is as miserable as fouling an opponent who is clear on goal.

Yes when a player is fouled they can go down, doesn't mean they have to. But this seems to contradict what you put here when you said ''go down when there was contact'', implying here that you should go down when there is any contact at all. Not all contact is a foul which means = diving = cheating.

If you see the next point, you can make out that i meant fouled in the first post.

If the contact doesn't force you to go down, then it ISN'T a foul. (This is obviously not including shirt pulls etc.). Football is a contact sport, people (I.E You) need to stop being *******.

Just because the contact doesn't force the player to go down it doesn't make it any less of a foul. A foul is a foul, no matter how soft it may be. The advantage for the player going down is that it makes it more noticeable to the referee.

It's not cheating. It's not gaining an advantage. It's just allowing the referees a chance to make some better decisions in what is an impossible job.

Just because the contact doesn't force the player to go down it doesn't make it any less of a foul. A foul is a foul, no matter how soft it may be. The advantage for the player going down is that it makes it more noticeable to the referee.

It's not cheating. It's not gaining an advantage. It's just allowing the referees a chance to make some better decisions in what is an impossible job.

Contact doesn't make something a foul. Players arent allowed to shoulder barge or tackle any more because you get a free-kick awarded against you.

Contact doesn't make something a foul. Players arent allowed to shoulder barge or tackle any more because you get a free-kick awarded against you.

If contact is made, however slight or innocuous, which breaches the rules of the game then it's a foul. I wish we'd get over ourselves in this country and stop being so macho.

If contact is made, however slight or innocuous, which breaches the rules of the game then it's a foul. I wish we'd get over ourselves in this country and stop being so macho.

This is true, but surely in the spirit of the game and in fairness if you can stay on your feet you should. If there is no need to go down, then stay on your feet and play football.

True but people are getting fouls when they fall over from contact that doesn't breach the rules and thats were the problem is