I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left

April 2031
Zulte Waregem - Hoek scores an excellent first half hat-trick and the result would have been even more convincing had Genghini not missed a penalty. Cruz ran the midfield with 2 assists and Ferrari made a cameo return after his long injury lay-off.

Hoek’s goals in that game make it 20 for the season for him, breaking his own previous record and leading the league goalscorers as well.

View attachment 72575 View attachment 72574

Although, despite this, I’m still a long way from being near the top of the list of managers with the most
league wins:

View attachment 72572

Standard - Hoek can’t continue his goalscoring exploits, but Maximin takes over and produces 2 moments of quality to seal the three points despite a late hiccup. Maximin, who know has 10 goals in 16 league appearances, was picked up on a free and is now worth £17.5m - the £30m release clause forced on me by his agent, is suddenly looking like not enough.

Lokeren - Another away game and the second in three games so it’s a slightly weaker team, with half an eye on the Tottenham game. We absolutely batter Lokeren but can’t get the goal. It’s telling that their keeper; Ebem, who I’ve already signed on a free transfer is MoM and has a great game.

Tottenham - I think it’s probably safe to say we’ve found our level and whilst a few players; Toussaint, Saint-Maximin and Hoek looked comfortable with the step up in opposition, we were soundly beaten, although the two goals in the last 3 minutes made the result look worse than I thought it was.

AA Gent - it takes longer than expected but Ferrari finally makes the breakthrough as he finishes off a fine flowing team move. The second from an own goal just about gives us a win we deserved.

Tottenham - an impossible task awaits as we try and overturn the 4 goal deficit. We dominated the first half in terms of chances and possession, but got undone by an unfortunate own goal. We had enough chances in the second half to score more than the one that we did, but in the end, that was what we had to make do with. Disappointing over the 2 legs, but that was a far tougher game than the ones that preceded it.

Progression to the quarter final is better than I could have anticipated, and we were lucky to even get here in any case as progress was only secured by the last game win in the Champions League group stage.

Brugge - a 10 point gap to Brugge in second place gives us some leeway, but I’d rather not have to eat into it. We just couldn’t get a kick for the first hour, so some significant changes are made, including bringing striker Ferrari, on for DM Genghini although to no avail.

Standard - another ridiculous fixture filled month comes to a close with the visit of the fifth placed team. Moors has a good game, providing the assist for Toussaint’s goal, but then makes an error letting a long ball go over his head which leaves their striker through for a one-on-one which he duly converts.

It’s turning into something of a stutter to the end of the season.

Cruz continues to justify his relatively high price tag and both Toussaint and Saint-Maximin have had good goal-scoring months as they both get into double figures. Again, De Decker and Astolfi have been disappointing in the games they have played and would be key candidates for replacing if the opportunities arise.

May 2031

View attachment 72511 View attachment 72510

Zulte Waregem - Cruz has a shots-on-target percentage of just 30% and only 1 goal in 44 attempts so is instructed to shoot less. We’re one win away from the title. Worryingly, Hoek has another goal-less game and is replaced, but not before Genghini with a penalty and Toussaint twice give us the lead before getting pegged back. We had 4 clear cut chances and hit the woodwork twice, but couldn’t do enough to get the win.

Lokeren - We’re still one win from the title. Hoek, who has not scored in 8 games is dropped for Ferrari, but otherwise, it’s the strongest team possible. The team seem intend on sabotaging their own title chances as Terbeshi is sent off on 30 minutes for a straight red card challenge in an innocuous area of the pitch and they take full advantage of the extra man.

A shocker of a result and the end of season slump of 1 win in 6 games is starting to cause concern - our final day game against Brugge could turn into a winner takes all, which I’m desperate to avoid.

AA Gent - for the fourth game in a row, we go into the game knowing that a win will guarantee the title. Hoek is restored to the starting line-up and Bilek replaces the suspended Terbeshi. Hoek finally finds his shooting boots but we seemingly push the self destruct button again as Post gives away a needless penalty. This time however we regroup as Boulanger scores from a corner and Mensah completes the victory on the counter-attack as they push for an equaliser.

View attachment 72509 View attachment 72508

Brugge - at one stage, this looked like it was going to be a critical game, but with nothing riding on it a few rotational changes are made. Boakye, my Ghanaian wonderkid, drills in a wonderful goal from 25 yards to record the sole goal in a very tight fought victory. 17 year old fullback Moors caps off his debut season with a fine MoM performance.

Despite the league win, and the very good progress in the European Cup, the board hand me a miserly transfer budget of just £1.2m which isn’t great considering I definitely need a new LB and ideally 2 CMs and the transfer budget to retain is just 20%. A number of players are wanted so some money could be recouped this way, however this was the case last season and no-one actually moved.

Saint-Maximin was the performer of the season - not bad for a free transfer. Hoek was the goalscoring machine, and it showed how reliant we were on him when he was missing for parts of the season. Valuable contributions were made by Maximin and Toussaint. Cruz, in the roaming playmaker position leads the assists with the fullbacks, particularly on the left, adding to the numbers. Chafai, also brought in on a free would have made more appearances had Cruz not been so impressive. The most worrying thing about this page, is the number of players that are wanted. It’s a fine line between the necessity of keeping the team competitive by holding on to the best players and keeping the players happy.

View attachment 72507

Last edited:

June-July 2031

View attachment 72344 - a couple of very interesting jobs potentially on the line there if the opportunity arises. Although I’ve only had one season here and I’m confident I can win the league again, the minimal transfer budget means there is little chance of building anything more in Europe.

View attachment 72343 View attachment 72342

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

View attachment 72341 - well these all seem pretty reasonable but I a would be hoping for a better performance in the group stages of the Champions League.

View attachment 72340 - along with these De Decker moves to Bordeaux for a fee of £5.75m, increasing to £8m with add-ons. Yao comes in to replace Soares, who leaves on a free transfer and GK Ebem is signed on a free in the expectation that Scasny will leave.

I reject a bid from Real Madrid of £15m for Saint-Maximin, which upsets him and he requests a transfer - he’s not going anywhere unless his £30m release clause is met.

Terbeshi goes to AC Milan for a fee of £20m - 19 year old Diop steps up from the reserves to take his place and it’s now a case of one in, one out for transfers although I’m still looking for a MC who can tackle.

There’s no-one available for the sort of fee that I can afford, so 19 year old Sevilla wonderkid Ramon Fernandez comes in for the season - I’m hoping his tackling, fitness and teamwork stats will come in useful as he will play in the middle of the park. Scasny leaves for a fee of £6m, rising with add-ons meaning it's been a ridiculously busy transfer window.

All the business I need to do, is done - so it’s time to fend off the suitors for the players I want to keep, which includes rejecting a bid for Post as well. On the plus side, Hoek has not attracted any interest.

View attachment 72339 View attachment 72338

The friendlies were more about making money, rather than the results which is a good job considering they were, more or less, shocking.

Mechelen - the experienced Boulanger gives away a penalty midway through the first half and try as we might, we just couldn’t seem to recover. Not a great way to start the season and I’m hoping that was just the lads not back from their holidays just yet.

Only one game, in which we were not good, so nothing to report really - let’s hope Hoek’s poor performance was just a blip.

View attachment 72337

Last edited:

August 2031

View attachment 71997 View attachment 71996

Experienced Turkish international Akkaynak comes in on a short contract to add some quality and influence to central midfield.

Brugge - the main rivals are the opposition for the seasons first trophy; the Super Cup. Anderlecht youth product Toussaint is outstanding and his transition from striker to attacking midfielder is progressing nicely, as this performance shows. Another trophy for the cabinet. Diop has a very good game on his competitive debut as well.

View attachment 71995

Zulte Waregem - Hoek gets his season up and running and it’s an unlikely second scorer as Astolfi scores his first for the club. Diop has another fine game having stepped up from the reserves and is looking a very suitable replacement for Terbeshi. Messan and new signing Attanyak provide the assists.

Disappointingly, Post, after a strong season, requests a transfer under interest from a number of teams which I reluctantly accept.

View attachment 71994 - whoops!! And if he thinks a warning was harsh, he should be grateful I was going easy on him.

Eupen - Chafai scores on his first start of the season and Mensah pings in a 25 yard free-kick midway through the second half. Chafai picks up a deserved MoM award in a convincing performance.

Genk - just 2 days later we play again, with a host of players showing a lack of match fitness although I’m not sure I can blame the result entirely on that as we simply fail to turn up and I’m too slow to react to the poor performance as we were already 2 goals down. Ferrari gets a good goal on his first start of the season but otherwise, that was a rubbish result that puts us already 9 points behind Genk who lead the league.

Brugge - the tough games keep coming as we face last season’s runners up. It’s Post’s turn to fire in a free-kick and just as it looks like it’s turning into a draw, a fortunate own goal gifts us a win. A further disappointment comes from an injury to CM Fernandez as he suffers a broken ankle late in the game.

KV Kortrijk - a very good defensive display means we record a 2-0 victory and allow Kortrijk just the one off-target shot. Akkaynak opens the scoring with his first for the club with a drive from distance Enjoyed that performance.

Genk have started the season in stunning fashion with 6 straight wins and just the one conceded. Fourth seed again in the Champions League, so it’s going to be tough regardless…

View attachment 71993

And, yes- that is a tough group.

19 year old reserve player Diop’s transition into the first team has gone well. Toussaint has performed well in his outings and I’m pleased to see new signings Yao and Ebem have started their Anderlecht careers with good performances. Hoek’s return of 1 goal in 6 is a worry though.

View attachment 71992

September 2031

Terbeshi is the standout transfer for a good amount for a 28 year old, particularly with good prospects coming through as Diop has already shown. De Decker, Pauwels and Thomann were all surplus to requirements so any money for them was welcomed and Scasny going out was expected as a number of clubs were interested in him.

The transfer budget was tiny and very little money was retained from outgoing transfers so that, along with the fact that the squad was already pretty good, meant that little incoming was needed. The accounts are suddenly looking very healthy.

An International break…and then we’re back to the good stuff…

Lokeren - Chafai’s been outstanding in his performances and deserves his start, Hoek has been disappointing and doesn’t…although it’s not until Hoek comes on, and scores twice, that we even threaten, let alone score. Chafai justifies his start with an excellent assist. Frustratingly, first choice keeper Ebem picks up a hamstring injury ruling him out for a couple of weeks, including, at the worst possible time, Man Utd away.

Manchester United - the step up in class proves too much to overcome again as, although we carve out a couple of good opportunities to make the score look respectable, we’re unable to take them with Maximin and Toussaint the main culprits.

Lierse - I think I have to hold my hands up to that one and say I got the tactics wrong. After the United game, I went for a more defensive approach, which worked in as much as we restricted Lierse to one shot on goal (which they scored) but we couldn’t make anything that was close to being a breakthrough which was disappointing.

VW Hamme - wholesale changes are made for the trip to lower league Hamme in the cup and, whilst not exactly a polished fluid performance, the one goal is enough to see us gain the victory and progress.

Gent - Another poor performance, with Hoek the main culprit as he misses a host of very good chances for us to seal the win.

Inter Milan - 1 goal scored in 4 games is not ideal going into this game but we somehow pull a performance out of the hat, despite going down to 10 men in the 50th minute. Inter absolutely dominate the chances and possession to be fair, but Ebem and co. were outstanding.

Given the lack of attacking fluency recently, it’s no surprise that the defensive players - Cruz aside - are at the top of the stats. Maximin and Messan have been the relatively creative players from different areas of the pitch and it’s good to see, even relatively early in the season, the contributions are being shared around the team.

October 2031

View attachment 71730

View attachment 71729 View attachment 71728

Standard - first choice keeper Ebem is injured again, but otherwise it’s a strong team against the rivals as we seek to try and gain some ground on Genk. Hoek should have scored long before he did towards the end of the game and his goal gives us a very narrow, streaky win.

FCP - Yao, through suspension, and Diop; injured miss out. Porto are bottom of the group, with just the one point so this is a good opportunity to consolidate our position although we can’t do anything to prevent the 2 goals that hand them victory, the second after we make changes to try and get something out of the game.

View attachment 71727 - Zakrzewski signs to join in Janary after being transfer listed by Mainz as we lack real quality in the centre-back area.

Antwerp - the teams lack of confidence, particularly Hoek, is becoming a concern as he misses a number of chances he would have put away last season. Messan produces the only bright spot in what was another poor game and performance.

I’m not yet anxiously looking at the directors box, but performances will need to improve..and hopefully quickly.

Oostende - the usual 4-3-2-1 formation is retained, but some team and individual player instructions are changed to try and get the best out the players again and get back to some more coherent performances. It makes no difference as 3 individual errors; Ebem drops the ball at the strikers feet, Bilek gives away a penalty under no pressure and Messan gets tackled after dwelling on the ball in the six yard box. That was poor and no-one came out that with any credit.

The generally poor month is reflected in the poor stats athough Messan continues to play well despite this. Hoek and Boakye, who is a talent, need to step up their games- Hoek in particular, is the player who can drag us out of this slump.

View attachment 71726

Hang in there my friend . I hope things get better in the upcoming games.

November 2031
View attachment 68770

View attachment 68768 View attachment 68767

Mouscron - an attempt to go back to basics and do the simple things pays off. It was a lot closer than it should have been against a team we would normally comfortably beat, and my nails will grow back, but a good Toussaint goal gives us three points and hopefully restores a bit of confidence.

View attachment 68765 - the 18 year old fullback is testing my patience and he’s not good enough to be pulling this ****.

Porto - it was always going to be a tough game and a slower more defensive approach looks like it’s paying off until Messan gets sent off, conceding a penalty in the process and costing us at least a point. Ebem gets the MoM award, although that would suggest he made a string of game-saving stops, which wasn’t really the case. To rub salt into the wounds, the player’s agent comes to me after the game stating that he deserves a new contract.

View attachment 68764
C
harleroi - Messan makes another attempt to prove he’s worth the extra contract. Although they fight back to make it even, Hoek grabs a winner at the death but it’s Maximin who gets the plaudits with 2 great assists. Not the most convincing of wins, but it’s another win and another 3 points.

Man Utd - we were just not at the races and were second best to everything. Cracking the Champions League is proving to be a tough assignment.

OHL - Yildiz produces a MoM performance and Hoek scores again to round off a good month based on much improved performances, particularly defensive, since the Mouscron game. Moors produces a good assist, but he’s only playing as Messan is suspended and his days at the club are numbered.

The win means we reduce the gap to Genk, still top, to 5 points.

Messan continues to be the stand out player with a good contribution from the RB position but other than that it’s been a bit of a mixed bag. Ferrari hasn’t convinced me with his cup and substitute appearances that he’s quite ready to lead the line just yet.

View attachment 68763

December 2031

View attachment 68760

View attachment 68759 View attachment 68758

Aalst - the cup game is a hopeful respite from the league woes although Bilek makes it harder than it should have been being sent off after just 17 minutes. Despite this, we absolutely batter them for the remainder of the game and a number of players miss very good opportunities to win it. By the time it comes to penalties, our key players miss the ones to win and they take full advantage.

Another frustrating cup exit.

View attachment 68755 - so that’s 2 weeks wages gone.

Mechelen - Some would think it’s a bit mad, but I start Ferrari again and he, after 8 fruitless games, breaks his drought. Messan provides the assist and then scores the second as he continues his productive season.Some good performances and confidence has increased remarkably which has coincided with some good wins, bar the Champions League results.

Inter - Hoek scores the only goal to give us our second win of the group stage in the final game. Disappointingly, it’s not enough as we end up bottom of the group, although bizarrely with a better record than last season when we finished third.

Zulte Waregem - it’s very noticeable that this season, teams have been looking to exploit behind our attacking wingbacks, who were a feature of our success last season. Both early goals conceded come this way, so we move to a more direct 4-3-3 trying to get both Hoek and Ferrari in behind the Zulte defence which works to rescue a point as Toussaint picks up both goals….although he was given a helping hand with the second.

Eupen - the wingbacks are reverted to supporting fullbacks to try and prevent those areas being exploited. Ferrari leads the line in Hoek’s injury incurred absence and the instructions are to close their midfield two quickly and aggressively which pays off as we dominate possession and turn the ball over quickly, although the 6 bookings suggest it is not without its risks. Ferrari’s increased confidence shows with 2 goals.

Two very tough games await as we play Genk in second and Brugge in first in succession.

Genk - Boakye’s 2 assists in the previous game means he starts and his stock is rising. An early Ferrari goal looks like it should set the tone and we’re guilty of failing to put a number of chances away. Typically, having failed to add to that goal, they steal a goal in the 89th minute.

Brugge - Post rescues us a point with a fine free kick just after the hour mark.
2 points from those two games is not ideal, but it does mean we don’t lose any ground on the teams that look like they are going to be the title contenders and It’s now a long break until the next game in late January.

View attachment 68753 - I suspect that’s largely to do with the performances and title win of last season rather than what’s been going on since.

19 year old Diop is making a serious impression in his first season and Messan’s good performances have been noted as he is wanted by a host of teams. Ferrari’s good month of 4 goals is noticed. Ebem, Yao, Akkaynak and Fernandez, on loan, are the new faces to the squad this season and it’s Ebem and Yao who have been the best of the quartet. After his 10 goals last season, it’s a surprise to see Maximin without any so far.

View attachment 68748

January 2032

View attachment 68747 View attachment 68746

There are only 3 games this month so the focus is going to be on improving the squad and releasing the dead wood and the board make £8m available to do so.

View attachment 68744 - the transfer of Polish International Piotr Zakrzewski arranged earlier in the season is finalised and, essentially, he replaces Yildiz whose contract expires in the summer in any case. Yildiz signs on a free for Besiktas.

View attachment 68743…AND again....View attachment 68742

Hoek is being closely watched and with a £24.5m release fee, I’m concerned enough about losing him to secure him a new contract and make him the highest paid player at the club.

Kortrijk - Kortrijk make it a bit easier than I anticipated as they are reduced to 10 men after just 11 minutes. Post continues his fine goalscoring season with another free-kick and Toussaint scores another. Ebem saves a penalty, although we decide to give them another chance and a mistake isn’t made the second time.

Lokeren - Another sending off as Lokeren are reduced to 10 men midway through the first half and although we don’t really make the most of it, a good defensive display secures the 3 points. Hoek’s role is changed from poacher to advanced forward to ensure he contributes more to the attacking play.

The wing-back changes and the increased aggressiveness in the middle seems to be paying off as that’s now 10 games without loss in the league. The increase in confidence and morale has turned into poerformances that mean the September/October slump seems to be long forgotten.

View attachment 68741 - Portugese fullback Paulino comes in and looks a prospect. He can replace the troublesome Moors, who is transfer-listed and relegated to the reserves. In addition, 18 year old Brazilian midfielder; Raoni is signed and will arrive in the summer to replace Astolfi whose contract is expiring and isn’t good enough to be offered a new one.

Lierse - Lierse sit bottom and this should have been a much more comfortable win than it was - we wasted a number of good chances shooting from distance with men spare. Paulino makes his debut and creates the assist for Hoek in the dying minutes.

Hoek gets into double figures for the sixth consecutive season although his rating doesnt reflect his importance to the team. Akkaynak has proven a useful short term acquisition, if a bit expensive on the wages front, but Fernandez has struggled to perform to the levels his ability suggests he can.

View attachment 68740

February 2032

View attachment 68739 View attachment 68738

View attachment 68737 - the transfer window closes with good January business done. De Marco was a loan when it looked like the Paulino deal wasn’t going to go through in time, but he’s now gone back to Fiorentina. Both Zakrzewski and Paulino are improvements to the team and getting Bertrand’s £20k a week off the wage budget is good bonus.

Gent - Yao is the standout performer as he lays on 2 assists too easy to miss and gives both Hoek and Toussaint their easiest goals of the season.

Standard - Another Yao assist and another Hoek goal gives us the most comfortable 1-0 victory built on a defence which was never really threatened.

Fernandez’s loan finishes in the summer and the contract of Astolfi, who isn’t really best suited to the Central Midfield role I use, is due to expire. I already have Raoni coming in but the hunt is on for a new central midfielder, preferably a Belgian one and the possibilities so far are;

View attachment 68736 View attachment 68734

I favour Janssen because I want a tackler rather than a passer, but he’s proving too expensive.

Antwerp - Toussaint is injured so Boakye comes in and grasps the opportunity with both hands as he scores and provides an assist in the first half. The second half is something of a non-event, but it’s a fourth clean sheet in five games to see out the win. Perhaps even better than our result was the fact that Brugge failed to win, meaning we move into within a point of them at the top of the league.

Hoek is unhappy that a number of bids from Chinese teams are rejected, but since there’s no chance of bringing in a replacement, I’m not prepared to let him go.

Oostende - Another good performance, 2 more assists from Yao and another clean sheet - this time with Amrani in goal - means another 3 points. Boakye and Hoek get the goals, but it’s another strong defensive display that takes us top of the league for the first time this season and we’re starting to look like we did last season, although it has taken a long time to get here.

Hoek’s goal means he’s now scored in 6 consecutive games.
Paulino has a satisfyingly good start to his Anderlecht career and here’s hoping there’s more to come from him. Zakrzewski has been solid, if not spectacular and Hoek’s good goalscoring month means he’s starting to look like a proper player again.

View attachment 68733

March 2032

View attachment 68731 View attachment 68730

Mouscron - Cruz’s sending off was the changing point of the game and we never recovered after that. Diop’s sending off was just the icing on the cake. Something of a disappointing draw although the postmatch report credits us with a ‘never say die’ attitude.

Charleroi - Mensah’s whinging means that he can miss out this game and Cruz, Diop and Schreuder miss out through suspension. Another disappointing goal-less draw as we somehow failed to make the dominance and clear cut chances pay.

OHL - it’s telling that their keeper wins the MoM of the award, but it’s another performance in which we don’t actually trouble the opposition’s net, with Hoek, then Ferrari, the main culprits.

That puts us in second position in the Championship Group, 3 points behind Brugge as the league splits into two parts.

A completely nothing month, with only Paulino providing anything resembling a spark in the otherwise dour performances. A rather depressing month that only reinforced the inconsistency we’ve been showing all season and certainly doesn’t do the title bid any good. I’m also disappointed with Cruz and Chafai’s contributions in the RPM role - I was expecting more assists from here as they’re both good enough, so some experimentation may take place to get the most out of these two players.

View attachment 68729

April 2032

View attachment 68727 View attachment 68726

Lokeren - that will probably be a game more known for its ill-discipline than the quality of football on show. Yao’s world class assist for Toussaint was the only highlight and just as it looks like we’re scrambling for a draw, Boulanger gives away a penalty with just 3 minutes left. Frustrating is a word I seem to be using a lot this season.

AA Gent - Our poor run of form is put to the test again, and we concede a ridiculous early goal. Ferrari forces a string of good saves from their keeper and Zakrzewksi scores his first for the club, but it’s another fruitful performance as we can’t put away any of the many, many chances we make.

Brugge win again, which now gives them an 8 point lead at the top with 8 games left to play…which is probably an insurmountable lead.

There’s something of a bitter-sweet symmetry that my 100th Anderlecht game is swiftly followed by the board indicating that due to the poor performances recently, my position is now declared insecure and it is noticeable that with just 2 and a half months left on my contract, the board have not approached me to renew it…and when I approach them, the board don’t feel that I deserve a new one at this time!

View attachment 68725 View attachment 68724

Mouscron - A change of formation to a 4-3-1-2, hoping to bring the best out of Hoek & Ferrari who both start, although neither are particularly good. Post, who has been my saviour many times this season, scores a wonderful free kick to secure the 3 points and seal the victory. Another scrappy result but 3 very, very crucial points.

Genk - Saint-Maximin finally decides to make his mark on the season as he scores two quality goals. Although Genk pull one back from a 30 yard wonderstrike, aside from this, we were never really in trouble which is something of a surprise given how the season has gone.

Brugge - just two days after the Genk game, we end up with a home game against the league leaders. Everything about that performance was what we’ve been missing for a lot of this season as we chased, hassled, won the ball back quickly, prevented them from getting any shot on target, made the chances and Saint Maximin appears to be making up for lost time as he scores again.

The gap to Brugge at the top is now at 5 points, with 5 games left but it’s still a big ask and we have to hope Brugge slip up considerably.

Lokeren - Ebem makes a dreadful error in a game we were comfortably the better side. Post scores his fifth of the season - all of them direct free-kicks - but we fail to kick on and we should have put the game to bed before Ebem gifts them the draw.

Gent - I take a gamble starting with Ferrari, but it pays off as he scores one and creates one for Toussaint. Toussaint goes on to get a second, taking his season’s total to 12 and that’s the finest performance these boys have produced for some time.

Sa
int-Maximin finally managed to get his season up and running, although it seems a little too late to get us the title now. Generally the whole team’s performances have picked up this month although Fernandez hasn’t really shown what he can do. Mensah finds himself in the AMC queue behind Toussaint, Saint-Maximin and Baokye who all offer more than he does and Chafai has been excellent outperforming the more experienced and higher regarded Cruz.

View attachment 68723

May - June 2032

View attachment 68721 View attachment 68720

The final 3 games of the season, including a potentially huge final game against Brugge if they haven’t already won the title by then.

Mouscron - a slightly streaky win, but an Akkaynak penalty secures the three points in the end.

Brugge win the league, meaning that I have failed in two of the three board expectations for this season…

Genk - Just as the game looks like it’s petering out to a dull scoreless draw, Ferrari, on as a substitute, scores a clinical winner with 15 minutes remaining. We utterly dominated and should have scored more, but I’m happy with the win in the end. Ferrari has very much been a bit-part player, and most of his appearances have been as a substitute but his goal-scoring record is considerably improved on last season, even if he still isn’t in double figures.

Brugge - the final game of the season isn’t quite as tense and critical as it could have been as they have already won the title. A Boulanger header from just inside the 18 yard box and a fine Boakye goal following a mazy 40 yard run are only good enough to get the draw.

Unsurprisingly Hoek leads the goalscoring, although Toussaint is hot on his tail. Ferrari as back up, Post due to his set pieces and Boakye all provide some contributions. No-one shines with the assists, but Yao makes a good contribution from the LB position and is the standout transfer from last summer. His £400k purchase from Amiens is looking ike a bargain.

View attachment 68719

Despite refusing to offer me a new contact, the board give me a transfer budget of £14m for next season.

View attachment 68717 View attachment 68716

No real surprises for the team of the season although it is noted that Chafai and Cruz are both in the team as there would usually be another defensively minded player there; Genghini or, more likely Post.

The season review really makes it clear that we didn’t have a good season, despite the Supercup trophy at the beginning of the season.

Another visit to the chairman midway through June to request a new contract is fruitless as they again indicate that they don’t feel I deserve one so I think it’s time to accept this season wasn’t good enough and my time at Anderlecht comes to an end. What a weird way to end my time at the club; not sacked, not headhunted or interested by any other jobs, just a refusal to offer me a new contract.

View attachment 68714

lol - I did hang in there, even improved things but still not enough apparently!

You must not lose faith in the team and in your abilities. When things become hard take over the difficulties will make your future success sweeter !!

View attachment 67930

There are loads of jobs available, but none of them are at a club of any standard I want to manage at. Bologna have just been relegated from Serie A and have a very strong squad for Serie B. I’d like to get back into managing straight away rather than wait for another vacancy to come about and this would be a very interesting opportunity so I put the pressure on….

View attachment 67777

July - August 2032

View attachment 67776

View attachment 67775
View attachment 67774

A first look at the new squad shows that it’s pretty balanced with the exception of the centre-back position, where we only have one. AF Fabbri is clearly the strongest player here and a must to hold on to, although there is serious interest from a number of clubs. There are no reserves but I can work on that in due course and CMs Vinci and Maineri and LB Nardi are the youth prospects. I’m going to try something I’ve never done before and go for a route one attack and aiming to utilise either a poacher or advanced forward between two target men for flick ons etc.

View attachment 67773

None of my fullbacks are any good at crossing so they will have to be improved in time. I’m not sure about the CM roles, so I might experiment with those and may look at a 4-3-3- if it looks like the midfield is getting over-run. Lots of players need to come in, with centre-backs and target men strikers being the priority.

Defenders:
View attachment 67772 View attachment 67771 View attachment 67770 View attachment 67769 View attachment 67768

Thats pretty much two whole new defences begged, stolen or borrowed and worryingly the fans don’t seem overly enamoured by any of them. They’re all pretty average but the best I could do. Definitely areas to gradually improve on.

Strikers:
View attachment 67767 View attachment 67766 View attachment 67765 View attachment 67764

Giordano on loan is the strongest prospect, but the others look like they can do a job and be a good supporting act to Beneddetti or Fabbri who I expect to get the lions share of the goals.

Just as I’m getting things sorted, my starting keeper Mendes breaks his leg in a training ground incident and is due to miss the entire season. Stand in Borini is reasonable, but I will be on the look out for another and Irish keeper; Liam Allen is signed on a free.

View attachment 67761
- well, these seem reasonable but the pressure is on to gain promotion. The wage and transfer budgets don’t leave a great deal for manoeuvre.

View attachment 67763
A comfortable win in my opening game, even if it was Serie C opposition in the second qualifying round of the cup. Redinciuc is the prime creative force with 2 assists.

View attachment 67762
Another good win over another Serie C opponent. Buisson is the only player who retains his starting spot from the Lumezzane game but it doesn’t seem to matter. My only concern is that no goals have come from the AF position, whether it’s Fabbri or Benedetti.

View attachment 67760
Time to see whether the form in the cup competitions carries over into the ‘real’ games and it turns out it doesn’t. A disappointing introduction to Serie B.

View attachment 67759
It’s not a pretty performance, but it is effective. Allen keeps a clean sheet on his debut and Munoz scores his third in three games.

View attachment 67758 - the window is shut and the transfers are more functional over style. Munoz has already made an impression but the fans aren’t exactly over the moon with most of the signings, Buisson and Vives particularly.

1145728d1517520194-i-started-out-nothing-i-still-got-most-left-bol-logo.jpg

September 2032

With my first choice left-back Rossi refusing to sign a new contract and leaving at the end of the season on a Bosman, Irish youngster Steven Byrne comes in as a prospect. On the plus side, this will free up the £40,000 p/w that Rossi is currently being paid.

View attachment 67457
This should have been much more comfortable than it was, but journeyman striker Munoz makes the difference. We rode our luck a lot.

View attachment 67456
Munoz is great again and Fabbri scores the textbook route one goal. The defence deserve some plaudits as they held out under serious pressure towards the end.

View attachment 67455
To say we were lucky to get a draw is an understatement as we were completely outplayed with only Borini in goal keeping is in it.

Vs Cittadella
Cittadella couldn’t cope with the rapid transition from back to front and Fabbri announces himself. The result would have been even better if Munoz had not missed two on-a-plate chances.

View attachment 67454
A change to 4-3-3 after a comical own goal brings its rewards, but to no avail in the end as we concede a sloppy goal towards the end of the game. First choice RB Ihitz suffers a hip injury and is laid off for 4 months which causes an issue as his replacement; Tosi is just 16 and not really ready for first time football.

View attachment 67453
Vitale has his best game in a Bologna shirt so far as he scores twice to give us a comfortable win. Munoz returns to scoring ways. Cianci’s own goal was the only slight downside but we still have the fewest conceded goals in the league.

Well that month went well. The combination of a defensive, cautious mentality and an attacking formation seems to be paying off as well as switching between the 5-2-3 and a 4-3-3 depending on opposition and whether I’m home or away. Munoz, with 6 goals in 8 games, has already scored more this season than he has in any of his past 4. Redinciuc’s good performances in the middle of the park have been noticed as he’s wanted by a number of teams.

View attachment 67452