Pugge

Reaction score
I have one player who fits perfectly as a deep-lying playmaker defend. He is an amazing passer with creativity, takes good decisions, and pretty good on defendining. He's weakness is that he is slow and unagile. A Xabi Alonso kind of player in other words.

My other midfielder is a really good alround midfielder. Great work rate, determination, stamina and technique.

I will give the players the roles of Deep-lying playmaker(Defend) and Central midfielder(support)

I want my deep-lying playmaker to stay deep and distribute the ball forward with direct passes.
To achieve this i set his creativity to high, so he gets lots of choices that he can pick with his good decisions. Now to the important part of my dilemma:
Since i want him to play direct and aggressive, BUT stay deep in the field, i give him a HIGH mentality and direct passing, with forward runs rarely.

I want my other midfielder to behave just the other way round. Simple passes without dwelling on the ball, yet staying higher up the pitch. I therefore give him a LOW mentality and LOW creative freedom, but forward runs sometimes.

Now to my question:

Will my instructions make the players behave the way i want them to?

Hope you understand my question, English is not my first language!

Did you test it before posting? You are asking if this works and you can check, 1st person, if it does.

It's hart to tell after just i few games. Do you think my "theoretical" approach is correct?

You have the mentality the wrong way round. You have set the player (The DLP) who you want to have a less attacking mentality to have an attacking one, and vice versa. Switch these round :)

Also, I'd suggest putting the CM-Support to a Box-to-box midfielder :)

In my experience, playing a central midfielder with an support duty with high mentality and run from deep sometimes, the player will wander be to far up on the pitch to contribute to the build up play.

What exactly is the difference between the box to box midfielder and the central midfielder support? I find their personal instructions almost identical!

In my experience, playing a central midfielder with an support duty with high mentality and run from deep sometimes, the player will wander be to far up on the pitch to contribute to the build up play.

What exactly is the difference between the box to box midfielder and the central midfielder support? I find their personal instructions almost identical!

A box-to-box midfielder is basically all three of the CM duties combined :)