If I sign a 18 years old player, will he be homegrown?

Not giving alot to go on with your post but I will help out where possible. I am not sure if it is the same outside of England but for English clubs if the player does not originate from that country your playing in then he needs to be trained in England for atleast 3 years before he is 21 to gain homegrown status. For example, on my Newcastle save I have recently bought a Serbian defender who is 18 and will become homegrown after 3 years of being trained in England. Bare in mind any players under the age of 21 do not require to be registered for competitions and are still eligible to play competitive football. I always look to sign youngsters from abroad at no older than 18 so that once they hit 21 they gain homegrown status and minimises the number of foreigner players I have within my squad.

oh i see the point you are making there, thanks a lot mate :)

Sorry but mld81 is NOT CORRECT.

For a player to be considered home grown, he must have been playing/training in England BEFORE he is 18. If he comes when he is over 18, even if he comes on the very day he turns 18 he will not be considered home grown. This is because he isn't able to complete three FULL years before he turns 21.

mld81, you better start stocking on some u18 cuz I think you're going to have less home grown players than you think!

This homegrown rule is why it's a bit annoying when you sign any sort of South American talent. They're never considered homegrown because they can only transfer over to Europe once they're 18.

Sorry but mld81 is NOT CORRECT.

For a player to be considered home grown, he must have been playing/training in England BEFORE he is 18. If he comes when he is over 18, even if he comes on the very day he turns 18 he will not be considered home grown. This is because he isn't able to complete three FULL years before he turns 21.

mld81, you better start stocking on some u18 cuz I think you're going to have less home grown players than you think!

This homegrown rule is why it's a bit annoying when you sign any sort of South American talent. They're never considered homegrown because they can only transfer over to Europe once they're 18.

Your statement is correct but you obviously did not read my post correctly. As I stated, the player must be trained for 3 years by the time they reach their 21st birthday (and must be trained for that period in the same country as your own team if loaned out). I admit my example was wrong and badly worded as I bought the Serbian defender a few days before his 18th birthday. A better example would of been Adryan who was bought when he was 17 and homegrown by the time he was 20.

The simple way to look at it is to buy any foreign players before their 18 if you want them to qualify for home grown status. Also, if you loan them out then only loan them to clubs in the same country. As simple as that. :)

Last edited:
mmm... I'm not sure Adryan would qualify as homegrown. As he can only transfer after he's 18, he'll won't be able to spend 3 full years at a English club before his 21st birthday.

The best way is to look to buy foreign players, BUT who are also part of the EU. That way they can transfer and train at your club before they're 18. And don't need any pesky work permits.

so to make a foreigner become a homegrown player, I must sign them before they turn 18?

I've had the same question before and thought the same way as Coupdhaha did. That's until I signed a South American regen in last year's version who came to me a month or so after he'd turned 18. So clearly, he didn't spend 3 FULL years before he turned 21 at my club. However, his status was still home-grown at club. A similar thing happened with other regens. Now this might be a glitch, or a possible explanation that someone gave was that the player was in fact at my club for three years (albeit not full years) and hence was still HG at club status. I usually do sign players before they turn 18, but maybe someone who knows this for sure could clear it up once and for all.

In a nutshell.

Sign a player before his 18th birthday, and he will be homegrown. Sign a player on or after his 18th birthday from abroad, and he will not be considered homegrown.

Maybe there is a glitch here then, because I signed a player from my Argentinian feeder club (Boca), he was 18 years old when he arrived and when I look at his homegrown status it says 'player will become homegrown at club on x/xx/xx'. I was surprised at this but didn't fully understand why he would still be homegrown

I thought the rules was " 18 - before they turned 22", inluding 21

Yeah I think it's what The Better Half said. It has to be three years between the ages of 18-21. It's not a glitch if lots of people have South American regens turning home grown at club after a certain date.

So what happens if I sign a youngster then loan him out at 17 just turning 18 for a year does that impact on the 3 year rule? Cause I have some cracking youngsters who would benefit from First hand experience..

only if you loan the player out to a club in a differnt country if you loan him to club in your country it will be fine

mmm... I'm not sure Adryan would qualify as homegrown. As he can only transfer after he's 18, he'll won't be able to spend 3 full years at a English club before his 21st birthday.

The best way is to look to buy foreign players, BUT who are also part of the EU. That way they can transfer and train at your club before they're 18. And don't need any pesky work permits.

Well Adryan is classed as home grown on my save. I will try uploading a screenshot when I get a chance as I believe there is a way to check home grown statuses.

I think this rule is very much a grey area whereby people cannot specifically define what the requirements are. This is down to the fact that it is working in some cases for people and not in others. Like I said before, I just aim to buy players before their 18 and only loan them to domestic clubs. :)

It is.. It's three full years at the club up-to but not including their 22nd birthday.

I'll second that thought. I've always seen the rule as if they are under 19 & they stay in the same country then they will be home grown. The 3 years counts up until the day before they turn 22. (This is the case in England/Scotland. Not sure about other nations.