Iker Casillas: We would have beaten Man Utd

Status
Not open for further replies.

dasty

Reaction score
Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas has claimed that his side would have beaten Manchester United if they had reached the Champions League final.

Madrid fell to Barcelona in the semi-finals amid much furore over the performance of the referee in the first leg and the behaviour of the Barca players, and Casillas was forced to watch as his closest rivals overcame United 3-1 to lift the trophy in a dominant showing at Wembley.

However, the Spain international is certain that his country holds the two best teams in the world and that Madrid would have triumphed in London as well.

"If Madrid had played the final of the Champions League we would also have earned [victory] against United," Casillas told Sport. "I knew whoever won the Madrid-Barca semi-final was going to win [the competition]. We are the two strongest teams in Europe."

Madrid claimed the Copa del Rey final to stop Barcelona completing another Treble, and Casillas claimed that it was a good season for the club.

"I believe the season was positive both on a personal and collective level,'' he added. "We had chances to win the three titles at the end of the campaign. We lost that chance in La Liga two weeks before it ended, but I believe we had a rather good run.

"It [my most special moment of the season] was obviously winning the Copa del Rey, a title all Madridismo was anxious to win, and it happened in a beautiful final. For me that was the greatest moment of the season."

To be honest, I think Iker is just trying to make himself feel better about the failure of a season his club and him had had. He went past the stage of simply speculating things, by saying that it is a certainty that Real Madrid would beat Man Utd in the CL final. And looking at how happy he is just to stop Barcelona from winning a treble, I can say my respect for him went down quite a lot.

Non story.

Q: Would you have beaten United had you reached finals?
Iker: Yes (As he can't say No United are very good side)

Headlines: Casillas taunts United.

Hardly a "failure" of a season. 2nd in La Liga to the "best team in the world", knocked out of the CL Semis partly thanks to a complete injustice with Pepe's sending off and Mascherano's dive in the 2nd leg to deny Madrid a goal, won the CdR.

He's happy because his side won the equivalent of the FA Cup not because it stopped Barca winning the treble. It just so happened that they played Barca in the final. And anyway, who wouldn't be happy at doing that? Can you honestly say that you wouldn't like United to prevent Liverpool or Man City winning something by beating them? Of course you would.

I think they may well have beaten Utd. They were in really good form in La Liga with Mourinho finally getting the squad to gel. It would have been really interesting tbh - obviously they're not as good as Barcelona but the quality they have in their team is ridiculous, plus having arguably the best manager in the world.

You can't say conclusively one way or the other, really but players/teams always do this - if such and such had happened, we would have won etc.

Lol, People mile making a mountain out of a mole hill, dont they? **** heads....

How does it matter Iker, u would have had to reach the finals first

"If Madrid had played the Champions League final"

Barcelona and Man Utd were already playing it, there isn't room for 3.

If he simply said "Yes, we would beat them in the final if we met them" then I'm fine with it, but he didn't.

"If Madrid had played the final of the Champions League we would also have earned [victory] against United," Casillas told Sport. "I knew whoever won the Madrid-Barca semi-final was going to win [the competition]. We are the two strongest teams in Europe."

It isn't simply just the case of him just answering the reporters. He went on strengthening his point by saying that whoever wins the semis between them and Barca will definitely win the UCL, which is what irks me. He doesn't pay any respect to the two teams in the other semis.

Agreed.

To be fair, I think United would have beat Real, as their defence is poor and Iker himself is prone to mistakes.

Of course they would. This Real Madrid team is arguably the most talented in history and have a great manager who specializes in getting results from really talented teams. They were amazing in La Liga this season, won the Copa del Rey, and only lost in the CL semi-finals to one of the best teams in history. I'm sorry but they're way better than ManU or any team in the world other than Barcelona, and they're going to win trophies (plural) next season. If they don't win at least one it would be a huge embarassment.

Of course they would. This Real Madrid team is arguably the most talented in history and have a great manager who specializes in getting results from really talented teams. They were amazing in La Liga this season, won the Copa del Rey, and only lost in the CL semi-finals to one of the best teams in history. I'm sorry but they're way better than ManU or any team in the world other than Barcelona, and they're going to win trophies (plural) next season. If they don't win at least one it would be a huge embarassment.

Got a time machine there curtis, you can clearly tell who is signing who in the summer, and you can never be sure.

Good thing to know, Mr Casillas.

He has lifted an Euro Cup, a World Cup, and, however less significant, a Copa Del Rey in the last three years...I'd say his opinion matters, don't you think? :)

It isn't simply just the case of him just answering the reporters. He went on strengthening his point by saying that whoever wins the semis between them and Barca will definitely win the UCL, which is what irks me. He doesn't pay any respect to the two teams in the other semis.

I'm sure if the other two teams deserved his respect, he would have given them some :)

Got a time machine there curtis, you can clearly tell who is signing who in the summer, and you can never be sure.

I actually did and used it to go into the past and get rich but I lost all of the money in the financial crisis, negating the possibility of me having bought it in the future in the first place, which created a contradiction that disrupted the space-time fabric with a destructive vortex that almost killed me but got my apartment and cat. It got my landlady too, luckily, who is a total *****. I would have used it to see into the future of the Champions League and see what would have happened if/when Real Madrid and ManU played this season (I'm pretty sure UEFA will give us this matchup though) but I didn't since I'm pretty sure Real Madrid would win since they're a lot more talented. That could change this summer though of ManU goes out and buys the right players, but even then they won't have the talent of Real Madrid, who needs the trophy more desperately.

The same time machine that told you ManUtd will beat Barca in the final and how you scribbled that in every thread for past 2 months..

He has lifted an Euro Cup, a World Cup, and, however less significant, a Copa Del Rey in the last three years...I'd say his opinion matters, don't you think? :)

Not really, no. His opinion on this matter is worth squat, since it's completely hypothetical - you didn't make it, bud. It's like a Schalke player saying 'we would have beaten Barcelona'. And what exactly does it matter that he lifted a few trophies - even Schalke won as many trohpies as you did this season. Do you want me to list everything Barcelona won in the last three years? No? Guessed so.

Do you want me to list everything Barcelona won in the last three years? No? Guessed so.

Sure, why not? You're putting words in my mouth here! They won a LOT of trophies right? even after a disappointing season to their standards, atleast Man Utd had the pleasure goading Liverpool about their "19 times" ****...Barca still are nowhere near Real in that area..even after ALL the trophies they've won recently

Real dominated for a century, then had a rough patch for a decade..and now they are starting to work hard to get back to where they were...Anyways, i'm not here to have a Real-Barca fight...

On the topic..maybe it wasn't right of him to make such a statement..but the thing is...i agree with him..and thats all that matters to me tbh...I thought it was pretty nice of him not to mention how Barca had cheated their way to the final..but i guess we are not grudge holders

Casillas thinks Real Madrid is the 2nd best team in the World currently and that his side would have beaten Manchester United.

So?

Sure, why not? You're putting words in my mouth here! They won a LOT of trophies right? even after a disappointing season to their standards, atleast Man Utd had the pleasure goading Liverpool about their "19 times" ****...Barca still are nowhere near Real in that area..even after ALL the trophies they've won recently

Real dominated for a century, then had a rough patch for a decade..and now they are starting to work hard to get back to where they were...Anyways, i'm not here to have a Real-Barca fight...

On the topic..maybe it wasn't right of him to make such a statement..but the thing is...i agree with him..and thats all that matters to me tbh...I thought it was pretty nice of him not to mention how Barca had cheated their way to the final..but i guess we are not grudge holders

First of all, you brought trophies to the table, while I said they didn't matter - the fact someone won a few trophies doesn't mean he can be disrispectful to other teams. Also, the fact that your team 'dominated for a century' means **** all as well - in THIS season's CL, you didn't make it past the semifinals, thus, Iker's opinion is completely hypothetical. And if you agree with him and that's 'all that matters to you', you shouldn't have come here trying to start a silly argument.

And last, but not least, you contradict yourself - you say you're not here to start a 'Barça-Real' fight, and you claim you don't hold a grudge against Barça, yet you start with the whole cheating thing again. You should ask Joss for the conspiracy website he posted a few days ago, it'll probably make you feel better.

Agreed.

To be fair, I think United would have beat Real, as their defence is poor and Iker himself is prone to mistakes.

To be fair Rio isnt the best Evra has been poor lately,Midfield is hopeless compared to Real and Casillas is well known for being one of the best keepers in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.