I'll quit if I'm fined - Holloway

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 50
  • Views Views 3K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Blackpool manager Ian Holloway says he will resign if the Premier League punish him for fielding a weakened team in the 3-2 defeat against Aston Villa.

More...

Must insult the players if they think it's a 'weakened' side. Which managed to score 2 goals away from home in the Premier League, and should of got a point at least.

They'd better ****** not punish him, else something is very wrong with football. He played a side that performed extremely well, gave us an entertaining end-to-end match and kept fighting until the end. Yes, we had the more and better chance and deserved to win, but it wouldn't be horrible if they'd drawn it either, and for a promoted club away at a top 8 club that's very respectable.

Yes I thought Blackpool played very well. I can see Olly's thinking. The West Ham, game this weekend looks winnable.

Yes I thought Blackpool played very well. I can see Olly's thinking. The West Ham, game this weekend looks winnable.

But I suppose you could see this both sides of the story, feilding a weakened side against Aston Villa, which nearly got a point, just so they can play there first team against West Ham? Imagine how West Ham must feel if Blackpool are seeing a established premierleague side as a winable game!

But I suppose you could see this both sides of the story, feilding a weakened side against Aston Villa, which nearly got a point, just so they can play there first team against West Ham? Imagine how West Ham must feel if Blackpool are seeing a established premierleague side as a winable game!

It's their perogative to do that, though, that's what a squad is for. If you can't make the distinction between winnable games and tough ones, then you may as well play the same squad for the entire season.

It's their perogative to do that, though, that's what a squad is for. If you can't make the distinction between winnable games and tough ones, then you may as well play the same squad for the entire season.

So how can they fine him for feilding a weakened side, what are there grounds to do that?

Difference between Mcarthy at OT, and Holloway, is that the Wolves manager admitted it, Holloway hasn't, and really shouldn't be fined. He gave some players a rest because their squad isn't as strong in depth as others and they'll pick up injuries if they play too much. Besides, I think the FA have more pressing things to worry about:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=51678

So how can they fine him for feilding a weakened side, what are there grounds to do that?

Well, exactly. The FA will find something if they want to fine him though.

Difference between Mcarthy at OT, and Holloway, is that the Wolves manager admitted it, Holloway hasn't, and really shouldn't be fined. He gave some players a rest because their squad isn't as strong in depth as others and they'll pick up injuries if they play too much. Besides, I think the FA have more pressing things to worry about:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=51678

No, I am all for not fining Ian Holloway, but I remember when this was mentioned about MaCarthy, and I just thought it was down to the manager who plays, wether it be a weakened side or not?

They did it to Mick Mcarthy because if you deliberately field a weakened side like he did, effectively handing the game to the opposition (it was pretty much a reserve side iirc) then it effects other teams too. I agree it's harsh but what can you do?

Oh they'll find something to fine him for. He's too outspoken for his own good sometimes even though most of what he says is perfect common sense.

They did it to Mick Mcarthy because if you deliberately field a weakened side like he did, effectively handing the game to the opposition (it was pretty much a reserve side iirc) then it effects other teams too. I agree it's harsh but what can you do?

Yeah I see what you mean, it can harm the rest of the league if you feild a weakened side against someone, but I don't think they're handing the game to them, but pretty much not upto the opposition standard.

I think if Blackpool played a full strength side against Aston Villa, they could of been walking away with a point at least.

The thing is on this occasion, it wasn't exactly a weakened team. They had Harewood who has been in good form, Euell, their captain last season and Basham who's a talented youngster. The team they sent out wasn't that much worse than their first team one (barring Adam), unlike the one Wolves sent out.

Yeah I see what you mean, it can harm the rest of the league if you feild a weakened side against someone, but I don't think they're handing the game to them, but pretty much not upto the opposition standard.

I think if Blackpool played a full strength side against Aston Villa, they could of been walking away with a point at least.

I think Wolves sort of did hand the game to Utd - They played very well, but McCarthy clearly knew he wasn't likely to get a point, and rested his first team.

Blackpool still fielded a strong side, and were unlucky - Don't get me wrong, I think Holloway's situation is different to Wolves' last year, and he shouldn't be fined - I'm just using the case last year as an example of the FA punishing managers.

Apart from anything else, Blackpool were 2 minutes away from getting a point, in which case there would be no question of fining him I expect, which is ridiculous for me.

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

The thing is on this occasion, it wasn't exactly a weakened team. They had Harewood who has been in good form, Euell, their captain last season and Basham who's a talented youngster. The team they sent out wasn't that much worse than their first team one (barring Adam), unlike the one Wolves sent out.

This. (see above)

Let's not get the wrong idea here, 'Pool deserved to lose the game. Villa hit them on the break time and again, and Delfouneso had a perfectly good goal ruled out by a dodgy ref decision. If you cancel the lucky deflections both sides got, then it should've been 3-1 to Villa.

However, they gave it an extremely good shot, and whilst maybe not deserving a draw on pure performance, their desire and application as well as their willingness to attack away from home with a second-string side meant they deserved a point.

Let's not get the wrong idea here, 'Pool deserved to lose the game. Villa hit them on the break time and again, and Delfouneso had a perfectly good goal ruled out by a dodgy ref decision. If you cancel the lucky deflections both sides got, then it should've been 3-1 to Villa.

However, they gave it an extremely good shot, and whilst maybe not deserving a draw on pure performance, their desire and application as well as their willingness to attack away from home with a second-string side meant they deserved a point.

No, no I agree with you. I'm just saying that they were very close to getting the point, even if they didn't deserve it, and that if they had drawn, no one would be questioning Holloway's approach (a point would have been a very good result)

No, no I agree with you. I'm just saying that they were very close to getting the point, even if they didn't deserve it, and that if they had drawn, no one would be questioning Holloway's approach (a point would have been a very good result)

Yes, of course. Either way, I think we agree that Holloway most definitely shouldn't be fined, the nation's collective love for the man aisde. Looking at it objectively, there is very little reason for fining him.

Yes, of course. Either way, I think we agree that Holloway most definitely shouldn't be fined, the nation's collective love for the man aisde. Looking at it objectively, there is very little reason for fining him.

Haha. Watching his interview now - Didn't know they have four games in 12 days. Definitely shouldn't be fined now :)

EDIT: Though, slightly off topic, did anyone hear him have a go at Pat Nevin from 5 live for questioning his selection? He got really annoyed!

Last edited:
Haha. Watching his interview now - Didn't know they have four games in 12 days. Definitely shouldn't be fined now :)

Seriously? Wow, didn't know that. Need to watch his interview, they're legendary normally.

Back