In need of an Oxford degree; in miracles

Great story so far!

Hopefully the next game and the rest of the season goes well, although based in things so far I think we could be in for another nail biting finish.

Also, thought I should mention that I think the format of the posts is very good.

mathhow - Thanks mate, glad you're enjoying the story and layout! After the month we've just had I don't know how nail-biting it will be.

March

View attachment 22044Dulwich Hamlet - We had a 6 pointer against Dulwich Hamlet and we fail to take our home advantage as we lose the game and our spot at the top of the table. Eddie O'Brien did score an equaliser but we rarely threatened their goal in a disappointing performance and result!
Hendon - Back to winning ways thanks to a brace from Tshimanga and a goal each for Walker and Huckle.
Bath - An awful performance and result again as we fall to another defeat away at Bath City.
Chesham - We dominated the game and should have won by 3 or 4 but we were very wasteful in front of goal. We did go a goal down early on before I changed to an attacking 4-4-2 formation which helped with Walker grabbing a much deserved equaliser.

View attachment 22043A horrendous month! 1 win out of 4 as it seems we may have bottled our title winning chances. We are now 4 points behind Dulwich Hamlet after we lost against them and only picked up 4 points in the entire month.

We have had our youth intake as well this month...
View attachment 22042Not the best youth intake, there is no Connor Bashir in this seasons intake. I had a look at all the players with a potential of 2 and a half stars or more. I decided that the only player I would offer a contract to was Paul Peck, who will probably never play a game for me.

April

View attachment 22027
Welling
- We started a very important month with a disastrous result losing 3-1. I did have Eddie O'Brien sent off when the score was at 1-1 before we had a goal correctly ruled off for offside and then we crumbled.
Whitehawk - FUMING! We had 21 shots, a disallowed goal, 2 shots that hit the bar and then they score an 88th minute winner as we fall to another defeat this time against already relegated bottom of the table Whitehawk!
Bognor Regis - A point! We finally got a point in April, Tyler Walker scored a penalty after an incident that saw their player sent off. With 10 men Bognor Regis then went and scored an equaliser as we dropped even more points. Again we had another goal correctly ruled off for offside, that's 3 in 3, small margins!
Torquay - Shock another defeat! We were a complete shambles and deserved to lose by more!
Merthyr - Finally a win!!! I changed formation to a 4-1-3-2 formation, Adam Liddle came in as he has improved recently and cant do any worse than how we were doing. He scored the second as Walker and Whittington also grabbed a goal each.
East Thurrock - We started with our new 4-1-3-2 formation but went into the break a goal down. I switched to a 4-4-2 formation and almost immediately we got back to level terms with Tshimanga grabbing a goal. Tyler Walker came off the bench for Adam Liddle and scored with a few minutes left before scoring his brace directly after. East Thurrock then scored directly from kick off to make it squeaky *** time but we held on.

View attachment 22028We finish the season 2nd after leading the table for the majority of the season. If it wasn't for a disastrous 2 months at the end of the season then we would have gone up as champions. Dulwich Hamlet had an equally poor end to the season as they remained 4 points ahead of us. Play offs it is... again!

Play-off Semi Final

View attachment 22002Shock! Another play off defeat! We edged the game and had a phenomenal chance in the 90th minute when Pete Whittington went in one on one although all he managed to do was smash it straight at the goalkeeper. In extra time we tired and they dominated and got a goal via a header from a corner. I then went attacking 4-3-3 which backfired as they got even more joy and got the all important second through Chedwyn Scott.

View attachment 22001For the second season running Teddy Bloor clinches fans player of the year alongside signing of the season and young player of the season. Tshimanga and Whittington came 2nd and 3rd. Academy graduate Connor Bashir got goal of the season for his last minute goal against St Albans.

View attachment 22000Tshimanga is yet again top goalscorer with 24 goals. Teddy Bloor got highest average rating and most assists with 13. Cameron Healey got best pass completion rate with 88% as our deep lying playmaker. Our central midfield pairings got 10 yellow cards each. Whittington and Bloor also got the most player of the match awards with 7 each.

View attachment 21999Torquay faced Brackley in the play off final and they came out on top 3-2 with goals from Watts, Scott again and an own goal. They were 3-0 up at half time before Brackley gave it a real good go but ultimately fell up short.

Pre-season

I will start with the players that have got released at the end of their contract...
View attachment 21975
Rob Sinclair leaves the club after 193 games, he has been a massive part of the club since I took over but last season featured 8 times and at 34 years of age I felt it was time to part our separate ways. Sone Aluko leaves after just over a year with us, I am massively disappointed by his performances as I thought he was going to be the real deal for us in the Vanarama south. Ben Dudzinski didn't want to renew his contract despite us wanting to offer him a new deal, the same goes for Dominic Smith and Adam Liddle who has joined Sutton United in the league above. Henry Cowans has left after a less than impressive time with us. 7 youngsters have left us without playing a single game, I have kept Alexis Alfregas after he has had several Greece U21 performances despite the fact he probably wont feature for me. Giorgos Aresti, Harry Pritchard and Jayden Corbridge all leave after fallin down the pecking order with new arrivals.

Now for the signings...
View attachment 219749 new signings, 8 on a free transfer and one in on loan. Lets meet them...

View attachment 21973Calum McDonald - the first through the door was left back McDonald. He comes in after coming through the youth ranks at Derby County. He has 10s across the board with good marking and is quicker and taller than Christian Scales.

View attachment 21972Stefan O'Connor - Has been without a club for a year since his contract expired at Forest Green Rovers in League Two. He has good heading, tackling, jumping, bravery, anticipation and aggression so should adapt well to football in non league.

View attachment 21971 Ryan Broom - A right midfielder comes in, in the shape of Broom who is an all rounder. Good dribbling, work rate, acceleration, first touch, passing, technique. He hasn't got any standout attributes but also doesn't have a real weakness to his game as a winger. Should offer competition to Higham on the right hand side of midfield.

View attachment 21970George Ray - Relatively small for a centre defender however he more than makes up for it in nearly every aspect of his game. Good technical for a defender with decent all round physicals and some standout mental attributes in particular determination, leadership and bravery.

View attachment 21969John Friday - Probably my biggest coup! He is an 18 year old striker who was released from Chelsea. He signs a 2 year contract and at 6ft 1 with fantastic finishing, flair, determination, anticipation, composure and decision making, I expect him to tear this league up!

View attachment 21968John Coulson - Another 18 year old, he comes in as 4th choice central midfielder behind Healey, Whittington and Blake. He has some good physicals alongside bravery, work rate, flair, passing, tackling and first touch. I don't know how he sees himself as a ball winning midfield with those attributes!

View attachment 21967Mario Byles - A left winger comes in offering good crossing, dribbling, technique, determination and acceleration.

View attachment 21966Kieran Holsgrove - Coming on a season long loan from Southend, Holsgrove offers good physical stats with excellent dribbling, first touch, flair and crossing. Should be handful for most full backs this season.

View attachment 21965Cameron Yates - I have bought in a back up goalkeeper for Harry Wright following Dudzinski's departure. He is on a pay as you play contract with decent all round stats he is an adequate cheap replacement if needed.

Finally, the one that got away!...
View attachment 21964We offered and agreed a contract of £250 a week for Paulet. I started to think of tactical changes I could make to build my team around this guy as he looks a serious talent however in came Tubize in the Belgian Second Division who more than doubled his wages we were offering and he chose them over us unsurprisingly, gutted!

View attachment 219637 games played in pre-season. 4 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat. Impressive wins against Kidderminster, TNS, Oxford U21s and RC Lens reserves with Tshimanga and Walker finding the net regularly. We lost the Oxford derby however received a massive gate receipt due to the attendances. 2 impressive draws including a clean sheet against Ebbsfleet who are in the league above.

Last edited:
Just caught up after being away with work for a couple of days....more playoff heartache...I feel for you mate as I really thought you was gonna win the league this year! Some great signings there for the new season and it looks like you've definitely improved the squad, so hopefully you'll go one better next year! I'm loving the story and it's one of the first updates I look for whenever I log on!

TheNotSoSpecialOne - Thanks mate! Yeah I feel this is the strongest squad I have assembled here however that doesn't guarantee wins as you'll find out! Thanks mate, really appreciate it! Likewise with your stories during FM19!

August

I also played one game of September as I didn't clock it was the end of the month until after the game.
View attachment 21745
Hemel Hempstead - I was thinking about how well the season was going to go 15 minutes into our first game when Tyler Walker scored a header however we soon crumbled and gifted two goals away from set pieces.
East Thurrock - Mr Reliable Tshimanga scored a brace to seal a point, 2 points dropped in my eyes still.
Hungerford - What an individual performance from Tshimanga, I changed to a 4-3-3 formation and we looked to be heading for a 3-1 defeat until 2 goals in the last 10 minutes from Tshimanga to seal a point and his much deserved hat trick.
Kingstonian - Finally our first league win! 4-3-3 and we completely bossed the game and scored some great team goals including a goal from Connor Bashir as he came off the bench.
Bath - Back down to earth with a less than convincing performance and result to match!
Merthyr - Started September how we started the season, terribly! An awful team performance as we fall to back to back 1-0 losses.
View attachment 21744
We sit in lowly 17th. 11 points off of leaders Woking who have really strengthened this year and are favourites for the title followed by Dartford and then us. I am thinking going back to 4-4-2 and dropping our defensive line as we conceded a lot of goals from balls over the top. I also think with Eddie O'Brien at the back he should head everything that comes his way when in a deeper starting position as he is 6ft 5 with 14 heading.

September

View attachment 21679I have already mentioned the Merthyr game in the last post.
Chippenham - Our new 4-4-2 deep defensive line works wonders straight away as we keep a clean sheet and score 4. John Friday scoring a brace on his debut since his comeback from injury. Bloor scored a free kick and Tshimanga scoring the other.
Woking - Back to defeat despite shading the game. We fall to a defeat after failing to defend set pieces.
Dorking Wanderers - A game to forget for our ex goalkeeper Ben Dudzinski, he scored an own goal either side of a John Friday goal and a first for the season for Mario Byles.
Worthing - Fa Cup 2nd round qualifier away at Worthing and we comfortably saw them off thanks to goals from Byles, Bashir and Tshimanga.
Chesham - I thought this was going to be a frustrating goalless draw as we battered them for the majority of the game but thankfully we scored through a Tshimanga piledriver.
AFC Hornchurch - Another game we bossed however failed to win. We had two chances cleared off the line before they clinched the win with a screamer.

View attachment 21678We climb three places to 14th on 14 points. We are only 4 points off of the play offs and have narrowed the gap to 10 points off of the top of the table. We have conceded less goals this month and look stronger at the back, keeping more clean sheets. With a bit more consistency I don't see why we cant get a run of form together and challenge for the title still.
We face top of the table Slough Town in our next league game but without the impressive John Friday who has been called up to play for the Nigeria U21's.

Some good news to end the month...
View attachment 21677Kabongo Tshimanga has been my most consistent and prolific strikers, consistently winning our top goal scorer award year on year. He has now passed Andy Ballard's record of most appearances for the club!

October
View attachment 21456Yate - Another comfortable win in the FA Cup. Tshimanga grabbed a brace before he got substituted at half time. Cameron Healey and Russell Higham with the other goals.
Slough - A big win! We were under the cosh for the majority of the game but managed to seal an important win thanks to a screamer from Pete Whittington.
Welling - Back to back wins and clean sheets. Tshimanga and Mario Byles with the goals.
FC United - Another game that we were second best in but we get another win to progress to the first round of the FA Cup thanks to Tshimanga again and a Tyler Walker penalty.
Salisbury - We went into half time 2-0 down so we went attacking 4-3-3 and we scored straight after kick off through John Friday. They then scored again before we fell to a 3-2 defeat with Friday scoring late on again.
Basingstoke - Back to winning ways as we played brilliantly and took the lead through a Mario Byles scorcher.

View attachment 21455We rise to 9th in the table and are now only 1 point off of the play offs. We do however remain 10 points off of top of the league which is the impressive Woking. We have managed to concede less goals and have got quite a few clean sheets so far so I think the tactic is working at the minute, hopefully we can really push on now.

Some transfer news to end the month...
View attachment 21454Theo Hudson - A free agent since leaving Luton Town in the summer after he had come through the ranks at Leeds. He is a right winger that can play as a winger or inverted winger. He has fantastic crossing, technique and pace so should be a threat. He was at Dulwich Hamlet last season and smashed it there so I am happy for him to be with us on a part time contract. I am debating going with inverted wingers allowing our attacking full backs the chance to overlap and outnumbering the opposition as we go forward however I think I will keep it how it is at the moment.

View attachment 21449
View attachment 21447After beating FC United in the last round we will now face League One, Luton Town at home. Not only will we have a massive gate receipt as a result but we will also receive £35,000 as the game will be televised.

Bit of a rocky start to the season but maybe this is the way to avoid the playoffs seeing as they are obviously not your friend!

neavie pops23 - Yeah I'm hoping that we can build momentum and get into the play offs on a high and in good form as opposed to poor form and bottling the title like previous years.

November

Its been a while since I have had a long term injury...
View attachment 21212Russell Higham broke is ankle and will be out for 5-6 months. It will give me a chance to bed in Theo Hudson and see what he has to offer.

View attachment 21211Dartford - A phenomenal performance by Tshimanga as he bags himself a hat trick alongside a Teddy Bloor free kick.
Luton - We faced Luton Town in the FA Cup and got well and truly bossed, we somehow managed to only let a goal in before a worldie by Tshimanga sealed a replay and more finances for the club.
St Albans - A disappointing 1-0 defeat which was deserved as we didn't get going at all.
Luton - We got given a footballing lesson as we chased shadows for 90 minutes. Connor Bashir came off the bench to grab a consolation goal.
Farnborough - A disappointing draw away from home as we were targeting three points out of this game. Tshimanga scored inside 28 seconds alongside a thunderbolt for Theo Hudson, his first for the club and another goal 2 in 2 for Connor Bashir.

View attachment 21192We remain a place and point off of the play offs after the FA Cup aside a disappointing month result wise. We do have a good goal difference currently with positive 8 which could be important in the coming months. We are now however a massive 15 points off of Slough at the top of the league. I am getting frustrated with the lack of goals and performances from Tyler Walker so will look to replace him with Connor Bashir who has impressed in recent months.

December

I asked the board for a senior affiliate just so we can get some young hungry talent in whilst getting more finances in, they agreed and offered me Yeovil, Rotherham, Carlisle or Ipswich. Being a tractor boy it was the easiest decision ever...
View attachment 21084
View attachment 21083
Hereford -A disappointing performance and result as we fall out of the FA Trophy in our first attempt despite a Tshimanga goal.
Bognor Regis - We are extremely unlucky as we lose 1-0 away from home.
Wealdstone - A great game! We took the lead twice before being pegged back twice with absolute screamers. 90th minute and John Friday scores the winner and his second goal of the game to seal 3 points.
Hemel Hempstead - A very tight game although the scoreline suggests otherwise. Eddie O'Brien headed in a brilliant corner from Calum MacDonald before a brace from Tshimanga.

View attachment 21082Another month we finish in 8th position. We are one points off of Bognor Regis however we have a game in hand and can climb into the play offs if we win that game in hand. We remain 15 points off of Slough Town at the top of the league. I have changed to inverted wingers and attacking full backs in order to get more men forward and add that bit of quality with the crosses coming in with Bloor and MacDonald getting further forward.

January

View attachment 20835East Thurrock - A hard fought 2-1 win thanks to goals from our deadly duo up top.
Hungerford -
Absolutely peppered them with chances and possession. John Friday scored his first career hat trick alongside a Pete Whittington goal and a goal from Tshimanga of course!
Eastbourne -
Dominated the game and had several clear cut chances but failed to convert any of them as we draw 0-0.
Kingstonian -
This really was a bore draw, probably the least entertaining game I've had on FM.
Bath -
Three 0-0 draws on the trot, this was a great game with both teams threatening to score however both defences came out on top.
Merthyr -
Another draw however this time we had goals! Tshimanga scored as usual and Teddy Bloor scored a late free kick to salvage a draw.View attachment 20834We rise to 5th in the table with 43 points. We are 3 points ahead of Bognor Regis in 8th and 12 off of Slough Town who are still top of the league. Im a little frustrated that we didn't manage to win any of the games we drew particularly as Slough dropped quite a few points this month.

Playoffs beckoning yet again....surely not more heartbreak for you and your fans this season!!!

TheNotSoSpecialOne - Thanks mate! Yeah right now I'll definitely take play offs even though I am yet to get promoted from them!

February

View attachment 20777Chippenham - We were 3-0 up in half an hour via goals from Whittington, O'Brien and Tshimanga. They then scored twice with 10 minutes left however we managed to hold out for a 3-2 victory.
Woking - Catastrophe! We conceded a penalty in 17 seconds, were 3-0 down in 14 minutes! John Friday then got sent off with 30 minutes gone and I was expecting a thumping however we won the second half 1-0 but after a disastrous first half we fall to a deserved defeat.
Dorking Wanderers - Back to back awful performances as we lost away 1-0 to a poor Dorking side!
Chesham - I changed to a 5-1-2-2 formation to try and gain more consistency and wins as our wide midfielders weren't cutting the mustard but it didn't really work as we relied on a last minute equaliser from MacDonald to rescue a point at home to Chesham.

View attachment 20775We fall to 7th,the last play off spot level on points with Merthyr who are 8th but we have a better goal difference of 13. Top spot is out of reach IMO so we just need to try and finish as high as possible in order to get a play off spot and home advantage in the play offs.

neavie pops23 - Thats what we do lol

March

I also accidentally played one game of April.
View attachment 19694AFC Hornchurch - A dull 0-0 draw with very little chances for either side.
Slough - Got taught a footballing lesson by high flying Slough as we fall to a 2-0 home defeat.
Welling - Another defeat which we deserved, Friday did score a consolation.
Salisbury - Our first win of the month and we did it in style with fine goals by John Friday and Mario Byles.
Basingstoke - I don't know how this ended goalless, we dominated the game but failed to convert any of our chances, these 2 points dropped could come back to haunt us.
Dartford - A fantastic defensive performance sees us keep a clean sheet and ****** a 1-0 win through a Ryan Huckle header from a McDonald corner.

View attachment 19693We start April in 5th place however it is very tight with only 5 games to go. Only 2 points split 5th and 10th place! This is going to go down to the wire!

Our youth intake happened...
View attachment 19692A really average youth intake with our best players being 3 star potential, I doubt any will feature for the first team in the future.

End of Season and Breaking News!!

View attachment 19429St Albans - An important win with goals from Byles and Friday securing the win.
Farnborough - We hit the self destruct button. Leading 2-1 at half time and then Cameron Healey gets sent off on 70 minutes, I had already made my 3 subs and they overran us in the middle of the park and got 2 decisive goals.
Bognor Regis - A really resolute performance where if we had more cutting edge, would've come away with 3 points.
Wealdstone - A poor performance where we offered very little going forward.
Eastbourne Boro - A pretty dull game, we could've won it however Eddie O'Briens header got disallowed inside stoppage time for a push on their defender.

View attachment 19428An awful final month of the season sees us fall to 9th in the table and therefore miss out on the play offs by 2 points. Woking deservedly go up as champions.

Missing out on the play offs with arguably the best squad I have had with my time at Oxford City and my contract up in the summer, the chairman and I have agreed to mutually part ways. I feel I have progressed the club as far as I can and the club will be better off with someone who can win play off games for starters! I will be starting a new FM save shortly as a result.

I've really enjoyed this story and will be following your new one

Thanks mate, i enjoyed this save aswell but thought it was time for a change after little progression. I've really enjoyed reading through your stories this year so far aswell!