Indictment Charges Megaupload Site With Piracy

• Thread starter Thread starter Chokopop
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 107
  • Views Views 7K

Chokopop

Self-diagnosed FM addict
Reaction score
The federal authorities on Thursday announced that they had charged seven people connected to the Web site Megaupload, including its founder, with running an international criminal enterprise centered on copyright infringement on the Internet.
According to a grand jury indictment, Megaupload — one of the most popular “locker” services on the Internet, which lets users anonymously transfer large files — generated $175 million in income for its operators through subscription fees and advertising, while causing $500 million in damages to copyright holders.
Four of the seven people, including the site’s founder Kim Dotcom, born Kim Schmitz, have been arrested in New Zealand, the Justice Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation said on Thursday; the three others remain at large. The seven — who a grand jury indictment calls part of a “Mega Conspiracy” — have been charged with five counts of copyright infringement and conspiracy, the authorities said.
The charges, which the government agencies said represented “among the largest criminal copyright cases ever brought by the United States,” come at a charged time, a day after online protests against a pair of antipiracy bills being considered by Congress — the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA, in the House, and the Protect I.P. Act, or PIPA, in the Senate.
The indictment was handed down by a grand jury in Virginia two weeks ago, but was unsealed on Thursday, and stems from a federal investigation that began two years ago.
The Megaupload case touches on many of the most controversial aspects of the antipiracy debate.
Megaupload and similar locker sites, like Rapidshare and Mediafire, are often promoted as being convenient ways to legitimately transfer large files — a recent promotional video had major stars like Will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas singing Megaupload’s praises. But they have become notorious among media companies, who see them as abetting copyright infringement on a large scale by giving people easy, but unauthorized, access to movies, music and other content.
Megaupload is currently engaged in a lawsuit with Universal over the promotional video and Universal’s efforts to have it removed from YouTube.
As part of the crackdown on Megaupload, 20 search warrants were executed in nine countries, including the United States. About $50 million in assets were also seized, as well as a number of servers and 18 domain names, the authorities said.
Ira P. Rothken, a lawyer for Megaupload, said in a phone interview on Thursday afternoon that he had not yet seen the indictment, but he added: “Clearly we have due process concerns. This was done without a hearing.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/technology/indictment-charges-megaupload-site-with-piracy.html

Last edited:
Well ****** off all my FM files are on there. No wonder I cant access the site.

Much as I want to be annoyed, cant say they're not wrong to shut them down.

Much as I want to be annoyed, cant say they're not wrong to shut them down.

I understand why they did it but alot of people have files backed up on there. I wonder if other file sharing sites will get the same action against them.

I understand why they did it but alot of people have files backed up on there. I wonder if other file sharing sites will get the same action against them.

If they are anything like megaupload then possibly

So, if MU is down, I expect every other hosting site ( Fileserve, Filesonic, Wupload, Mediafire) to be shut down as well. How the **** is ThePirateBay still running ? I mean, everyone knows what TPB is.

So, if MU is down, I expect every other hosting site ( Fileserve, Filesonic, Wupload, Mediafire) to be shut down as well. How the **** is ThePirateBay still running ? I mean, everyone knows what TPB is.

They've been gunning for the piratebay for years, unsuccessfully, think its something to do with being in sweden? but not sure

They've been gunning for the piratebay for years, unsuccessfully, think its something to do with being in sweden? but not sure

There is a loophole with the law on piracy in scandinavia I think so thats how they have been getting away with it.

Will be interesting to see if the can take down isohunt or piratebay. Piratebay post the threatening emails and letters they get sent on there website which is pretty amusing. Dunno how they can say they're charging for $500 million in lost revenue though, not sure how they can put a figure together at all.

Well, the more of these sites that close, the less noobs we'll have asking for help with cracked versions of FM thankfully

What gets me is the movie industry are complaining of losses yet the sites which stream newly released films over the web illegally free are still going strong.

Miles from SI saying MegaUpload have always taken down cracks/torrents when SI asked them quickly.

They dont tell people to upload copyrighted material and probably discourage.

Surely Youtube can be shut down for showing highlights to football matches etc?

There is a loophole with the law on piracy in scandinavia I think so thats how they have been getting away with it.
Was something like this I think.

However, in Denmark (which is in Scandinavia aswell)- some, if not all, internet providers have blocekd TPB. You can't access it without using some sort of program.

Do they not understand that were this stuff not free, nobody would have bought it?

I'm amazed they managed to close it down entirely, though, is megaupload an American site?

Do they not understand that were this stuff not free, nobody would have bought it?

I'm amazed they managed to close it down entirely, though, is megaupload an American site?

I always thought it was Hong Kong? Although I could be entirely wrong

Updated the OP with the full released article from the New York Times (Link is there aswell)

I still don't fully understand the law. So they want to punish someone who is streaming illegal materiel over 10 times in a 6 month spell. Do they mean those hosting the materiel or those watching/accessing it?

Back