Injury-hit Gerrard out for season

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 57
  • Views Views 3K
and by then, The Mid table younger players, will improve enough to be signed by bigger clubs to replace the likes of Gerrard and Lampard. and the mid table clubs will bring through younger players to replace these, hence the cycles begins again.
Yeah, Rodwell, Wilshere, McEachran and Huddlestone soon, *sigh* I feel like we are steering off topic though.

Gerrard has always had the ability to play in a holding role as a playmaker, exactly how Scholes plays. The problem that I see though, is that Liverpool are so dependant on him that they will try to play him in attacking positions when his legs won't carry him. He may even feel the need to take it upon himself to continue to drive forward and make things happen, and this will only continue to cause injury. I've always rated Gerrard as one of the best defensive midfielders in the world, he just needs to work a bit on the mental side of the game and he could prolong his career just like Scholes and Giggs have.

Yeah, Rodwell, Wilshere, McEachran and Huddlestone soon, *sigh* I feel like we are steering off topic though.

No Lansbury? :(
He should get a call up soon. Been superb for Norwich |)

Gerrard has always had the ability to play in a holding role as a playmaker, exactly how Scholes plays. The problem that I see though, is that Liverpool are so dependant on him that they will try to play him in attacking positions when his legs won't carry him. He may even feel the need to take it upon himself to continue to drive forward and make things happen, and this will only continue to cause injury. I've always rated Gerrard as one of the best defensive midfielders in the world, he just needs to work a bit on the mental side of the game and he could prolong his career just like Scholes and Giggs have.

Haha, watch yourself, Mike.'ll be after you. ;)

Every player loves to play the game... They put in 100% every time.

Let's be honest, this isn't true. Ever seen Arshavin in an Arsenal shirt?

Regardless, Gerrard is a player that actually tries, even for England, he's still important to the squad.

Let's be honest, this isn't true. Ever seen Arshavin in an Arsenal shirt?

Regardless, Gerrard is a player that actually tries, even for England, he's still important to the squad.

yeah, i realised i didnt make myself clear, I pretty much meant the current england squad... I think i cleared this up later on in the thread. If i didnt make myself clear, Hopefully this does.

I said players who don't have massive wages, not player with massive wages don't play their heart out, I just wanna see some more mid table talent.

There's generally a reason they're mid-table. If they have the talent, they'll rise to the top after a few seasons. Jarvis is bottom of the table, got a call up did he not? Scott Parker? I guess you'd say Spain should stop calling up the Barcelona team? Oh wait, they pick them because they're the best players. Why don't you go ask Redknapp to pick from the reserves, since you're in to not seeing the best players possible play.

So clueless.

There's generally a reason they're mid-table. If they have the talent, they'll rise to the top after a few seasons. Jarvis is bottom of the table, got a call up did he not? Scott Parker? I guess you'd say Spain should stop calling up the Barcelona team? Oh wait, they pick them because they're the best players. Why don't you go ask Redknapp to pick from the reserves, since you're in to not seeing the best players possible play.

So clueless.

Sometimes determination matters more than ability.

Most top players have both. Not many top players are just purely determined individuals. You can have all the will in the world, but when it comes to the real tests the ones with greater ability will shine 9/10 times.

Also, who's to say mid table players are more determined in the first place? Wild assumptions are dumb, form and proven ability are not.

Usually players have the ability due to their determination to get better and make it to the top

Liverpool are in no competitions and are unlikely to finish fifth so I wouldn't call this a catastrophe. Gives Gerrard the chance to have the rest of the season and the summer to re cooperate and be fresh for next season

Liverpool will surely miss European competitions next season.. But maybe that's a good thing and The Reds are going to smash the mancs next year.

Liverpool will surely miss European competitions next season.. But maybe that's a good thing and The Reds are going to smash the mancs next year.

no, its not a good thing for liverpool in any way, shape or form. If you have not got euro football, you have very little chance in competing for the players you want to sign; which will hardly leave you in a position to "smash the mancs" next season

yeah, i realised i didnt make myself clear, I pretty much meant the current england squad... I think i cleared this up later on in the thread. If i didnt make myself clear, Hopefully this does.

Clear? You wrote the exact opposite of what you meant in that case. As anyone who's played football knows, some games you are motivated, some games you're not. What you can do in training is rarely anywhere near what you can do in competitions - a personal example is when I was competing in the Norwegian indoor rowing championship. I could do 2000m at about 1:50/500m in training, tops. I was hitting 1:40 on average for the first 1500m, and this applies to any sport. Your performance varies, because your day-to-day form varies, and thus some days you won't give 100%. It's the same with the England team - they never seem motivated. Whatever the manager says in the team talks, it doesn't seem to motivate them to play well. Mourinho managed to win the Champions League with what can only be called a sub-par team (they were good, but nobody was expecting them to win) through motivation and psychology (and maybe a little bit of tactics).

Clear? You wrote the exact opposite of what you meant in that case. As anyone who's played football knows, some games you are motivated, some games you're not. What you can do in training is rarely anywhere near what you can do in competitions - a personal example is when I was competing in the Norwegian indoor rowing championship. I could do 2000m at about 1:50/500m in training, tops. I was hitting 1:40 on average for the first 1500m, and this applies to any sport. Your performance varies, because your day-to-day form varies, and thus some days you won't give 100%. It's the same with the England team - they never seem motivated. Whatever the manager says in the team talks, it doesn't seem to motivate them to play well. Mourinho managed to win the Champions League with what can only be called a sub-par team (they were good, but nobody was expecting them to win) through motivation and psychology (and maybe a little bit of tactics).
I'm fairly sure he meant 100% effort which isn't the same as performing as well as they can.
I don't think england's problem has ever been effort. We're normally just inferior technically and tactically, plus we bottle penalty shootouts.

I'm fairly sure he meant 100% effort which isn't the same as performing as well as they can.
I don't think england's problem has ever been effort. We're normally just inferior technically and tactically, plus we bottle penalty shootouts.

I still disagree. I noticed it when I played football; against **** teams or friendlies you simply don't give 100%, and I don't think it'll be any different for professionals. They won't necessarily give 100% against Algeria or the US, as frankly, they don't feel like they need to.

no, its not a good thing for liverpool in any way, shape or form. If you have not got euro football, you have very little chance in competing for the players you want to sign; which will hardly leave you in a position to "smash the mancs" next season

It's just really poor luck with the way the FA and Carling cup's have gone. That and Hodgson's reign. I trust that we're going to make the right squad changes starting with a major change in the defense. Hopefully Gary Cahill coming in for Skrtel for starters. But I still think that the prospect to moving to Liverpool regardless of if we're in Europe or not will convince many players to join.

A proffessional footballer will always try his best, sometimes it wont come off for him, that isnt through lack of effort now. He will always try to do his best in any situation. You dont become a proffessional through not trying, and i will add my own personal experience, in any match of cricket i have ever played, no matter if it is a poor team, a good team or a team that is going to batter us, i always go out to win the game and put in 100%, sometimes i will put in that 100% and not be able to time a ball, that isnt through me not trying, just didnt happen on the day, and other teams i will go out and score many runs and take many wickets, just a bit of luck really.

I still disagree. I noticed it when I played football; against **** teams or friendlies you simply don't give 100%, and I don't think it'll be any different for professionals. They won't necessarily give 100% against Algeria or the US, as frankly, they don't feel like they need to.
Friendlies some of them probably don't but a world cup game?
100% is probably an exaggeration but i don't think lack of effort has ever been our problem.
It's not like spain or holland are particularly famed for effort or commitment. I'm sure all their players are commited and try their best but if that was all there was to it the world cup final would have been New Zealand Vs North Korea.

Back