• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 47
  • Views Views 5K

AndySams10

Reaction score
Into the Unknown.....
A Streaky25 Story.

images

.....I sat alone and nervous in the departure lounge of Heathrow's Terminal 5, waiting for my gate to open, so I could board the flight to Kiev, the capital of Ukraine. Feeling apprehensive wasn't unusual for me, but with everything that was being said lately in the media, it made me feel more uneasy about my safety on arriving in Eastern Europe. It was sad that I was feeling so cautious about a trip, that should be filled with excitement and memories, hopefully happy ones.
All the talk about violence and racism was starting to overshadow the usual pre-tournament hype, that surrounds all the big domestic and international competitions. In just over a week, Poland and Ukraine would be co-hosting the start of Euro 2012 and rather than be able to display some of the beautiful towns and cities both countries have in a bid to boost tourism, instead they were having to work extremely hard to divert all the negative opinions that had started to creep into the travelling support from the fourteen other European teams taking part.

*****​

Eventually the gate opened and together with a handful of other keen England supporters we made our way to the check-in desk ready to board the three hour flight to the Ukranian capital. With holiday left over from last years allocation, and choosing to not run the risk of losing paid holiday, I decided to go out to the tournament early, allowing me to take in the sights and surroundings of a country, that before recent accusations, was on the up and becoming a little more popular with visitors from the UK.
I made my way towards my seat and after placing my hand luggage in the overhead compartment, I shuffled over to my window seat removing a large book that was placed on every seat I passed on the plane. It was a guide for all football supporters travelling and staying in the Ukraine. The 130 page booklet was advising supporters how to stay out of trouble and ensuring everyone was aware of the local laws and customs in a bid to help avoid unnecessary problems.As the plane started to make it's descent towards the Boryspil International Airport, I put the guide, that I'd only just finished reading, into my bag and peered out into the bright sky of Kiev as the plane made it's way to the terminal stand. Boryspil is the largest airport in Kiev, with the other being the Zhuliany International Airport, so I knew I would have to keep my wits about me as I wandered through arrivals looking for the best possible transport to take me to my accomodation.

*****​

"You need taxi?" A voice said in a broken English accent, as I walked towards what looked like a taxi rank. "Errrrm Yes please." I responded, as I examined the back of the man's car on my approach. Having seen the car had a legit taxi number and plate, I pulled out my accomodation details and passed them in the direction of the driver. "Ahh, very nice place" replied the man, before ushering me into the back of the vehicle.
We drove through the bustling centre of Kiev, before leaving on a quieter road towards my rented apartment. The only information I had about where I was staying was, that it was a block of brand new modern appartments, which were built especially for the tournament by a wealthy buisnessman. As the driver took a left turn I noticed a small Football stadium set back from the roadside. "Excuse me, who plays there?" I enquired. The driver started to laugh out loud, before trying to compose himself to answer. "Hahaha.....that is FC Obolon Kyiv. That is no Football stadium, young sir, this is a stadium. My team, everyone's team in Kiev." The man passionately responded and drove a further ten minutes up the road before slowing down and pulling onto the grass verge and pointed. I looked in awe at the Olympic Stadium, which was home to FC Dynamo Kyiv. It had just undergone a spectacular makeover which includes a transparent roof and is where England will entertain Sweden, in their second game of Group D. It's also the game that I have travelled out for and having now taken in the stadium from the outside, I couldn't wait for the game and to take my seat inside the magnificent structure.

images

"20 euros please or 220 Hryvnias if you have?"
asked Igor, the taxi driver, as we pulled up outside the appartment block. I rummaged around inside my currency wallet and counted out 220 Hryvnia, and handed it over. Having done research on the internet about the currency used in Kiev, I decided to bring Euros and the Ukranian Hryvnia with me, as both were used throughout the city. "Thank you, have a nice day. " I said, as I closed the car door behind me.
I made my way into the building and towards the reception desk where a lady sat in front of a computer. "Good evening Mr" she greeted with a welcoming smile and good English voice. "Hello. I've come to check into my room." I replied.
"Ok Mr, what is name please?" she continued. I pulled out the confirmation email that I'd printed off and handed it over whilst answering. "Samuels, Andy Samuels." The receptionist started typing away putting in my details, before acknowledging. "Ahh here we go. Two weeks stay. One bed. Apartment 10 and here is your key card" she responded, handing me back my print out along with my room card. "That's great, Thank you." I said gratefully.
After unpacking and having a quick shower, I noticed the time, it had just gone 'eight thirty' in the evening and I hadn't eaten since the basic inflight meal I had just over seven hours ago. So with a clean set of clothes on and armed with my guide book and map, I headed out into the warm night air to look for a place to eat.
As I walked down the road away from the apartmemt complex, I turned the corner and saw the bright green lights of the 'Golden Gate Irish Pub'. With time getting on, I thought at least here I could get a good dinner, have a few drinks and then I can explore the town more tomorrow and over the next couple of days and maybe sample some traditional cuisine.
The pub was packed full of English and Irish fans who were enjoying a pint or three of Guinness, so I made my way through the chants and found a table in the corner. The atmosphere was fantastic and was a great way to let time pass while I waited for my food and also while I ate my way through my pie and mash, which was washed down with a pint of Carlsberg. A few more pints followed as I was invited to join the small groups of people gathered around the bar and with the usual football banter, songs and the flow of alcohol the night went on into the early hours of the morning.
As I staggered back to my room, I just managed to finish off writing a text and sending it to my fiancee back in the UK to let her know I was safe, before falling asleep fully clothed on the bed.​

Whilst gathering up the energy to move off the bed following last nights drunken antics and venture out for some lunch, I thought to myself, that although I hadn't gone very far last night, Kiev seems a decent enough place. And maybe all my worries that I had, should be saved for when England played, as we all know what our home nation is capable of, especially in the big tournaments.
One, two, three.......I counted, as I finally managed to sum up the strength to move off the bed and towards the shower, in the hope it would wake me up and help me shift the hangover.
The shower helped and within five minutes I was out the door and making my way towards the metro station. The metro would be my best form of transport, that along with the bus, to help me get around the city and also allow me to take in a couple of sights over the coming days.

Hopping off the metro carriage, I noticed a Burger King situated opposite the station and having visited many fast food joints after a heavy night of drinking, I couldn't think of anything better to help ease the remains of my sore head. As I was handing over money to pay for my food, I realised I didn't have my passport with me. I frantically grabbed my food and change and raced back to the metro stop., I better not have lost it or I would be in big trouble. Not only would I not be able to get home to the UK, but in the guides they were recommending that you have forms of I.D on you at all times. "It's got to be at the apartment, try and keep calm Andy." I was muttering in my head over and over again, as the metro hurtled along, before coming to a halt at my stop. I sprinted up the road, through the complex entrance and flung my apartment door open, throwing left over burger and chips across the floor and began the search. I looked high and low and couldn't find it anywhere. "Ahh the Irish pub" I blurted out. It's got to be there, so off I went on another mad dash in the direction of the 'Golden Gate.' The barman recognised me as soon as I entered. "Top o' the day to you Andy" he greeted me in his Irish accent. "Please tell me you have my passport, I left it here last night." I puffed. The barman went off to look behind the bar and to ask a couple other staff who were on duty last night. "Sorry Andy, there's nothing here. Best bet would be to report it to the old bill, the police. The station isn't far from here." answered the barman. My heart sank, how could I have been so stupid and I'd only been here just under two days.

images

I finally found the police station and after entering I made my towards an empty desk, where a stern looking Police Officer sat. "Hello, I've lost my passport, has anyone handed it in?" I nervously said. The officer looked straight back and replied in a very poor English accent. "What is name?" The man got up from his chair as I was answering. "Andy Samuels." I told him, still shaking with nerves, but mainly from fatique after the numerous miles I covered in an hour trying to locate my lost passport. The policeman came back to his desk empty handed.

Policeman: "No, No passport here. How did you lose it?"

Me: "Well I was at the Golden Gate, Irish Pub, late last night and when I woke this morning I noticed it missing."

Policeman: "Haha, Typical English, Drunk. Fill out form and we contact you if passport turn up."

Me: "Okay, Thanks."

After spending nearly two hours in the police station and still nowhere near finding out where my passport was, it was approaching five 'o' clock and having only had half a burger and a few chips, I was feeling very hungry. Luckily I still had my cash, and as I couldn't do anything but wait in the hope my passport would turn up, I went off in search for some dinner.
I found a nice tapas restaurant that served up the traditional recipes along with a few Ukranian dishes and it turned out to be a fairly cheap meal, even though I had eight dishes and a couple of bottles of beer, it was still cheaper than most tapas places in England, and probably more delicious. With the night still young, I wanted to explore some more of the Kiev nightlife, so embarked on a mini bar crawl mixing with more football fans from different nations and some locals. I ended up in the aptly named Vodka Bar, a place that my brother has DJ'd in and a very popular residance for locals and visitors. I Positioned myself on the corner of the bar, allowing me to have prime viewing of the whole venue, and got started on my first mojito. On ordering my third mojito and a jaegar bomb, I noticed a young man looking in my direction, it was the fourth or fifth time he had caught my eye, only this time he started to walk over to where I was sat. " Good evening Sir, is your name Andy?" asked the lad curiously. "Yes it is, how did you know? Do I know you?" I responded inquisitively. He reached into his jacket pocket and brought out a brown envelope. "I think this may belong to you!" he said handing me the small package before opening it carefully, and slowly emptying the contents onto the bar. I couldn't believe it, as out slide my passport. I got up and hugged the man, "Thank you so so much. I'm sorry I didn't get your name?" I asked, still grabbing the stranger I'd met less than five minutes ago. "I'm Vadim. I found your passport outside reception area of new complex which my dad owns. I was going to hand it in to police station in the morning." explained Vadim, in well spoken English. "Please let me get you a drink to say thank you, it's the least I can do." I enthused, whilst trying to attract the bar staff. "Thank you, but I must go. How about we meet tomorrow? I can show you around and then we can watch Ukraine National Team training." replied Vadim, as he shook my hand. "Okay, that sounds great, I look forward to it." I said excitedly. So with my day planned tomorrow, I downed my jaegar bomb and walked back to my accomodation for an early night, well earlier than the previous one.

really good so far mate, captivating stuff! i gather this is more of a football story than like managing a club? either way its awesome, can't wait to hear more!

really good so far mate, captivating stuff! i gather this is more of a football story than like managing a club? either way its awesome, can't wait to hear more!

Thanks mate, nice to hear you are enjoying it. Thought I'd do a story based around Euro 2012, and as I haven't done a story abroad thought it would be a great place to start. Plus, I'm hoping I will get the buzz back to play the game at some point and maybe able to link the two in.

Cheers. :D

"Yes will do, speak later. Love you" I told my fiancee, after explaining yesterdays events, which finished up with a guy called Vadim returning it to me, after noticing me at the Vodka Bar. Vadim, invited me to meet up with him and go off to watch the Ukranian national team train and as I currently work full time at a Semi-Pro club back home in Hampshire, I thought it would be a valuable day out where I could potentially pick up a few new coaching sessions and take them back with me, whilst also getting to know someone who could advise me of the places to visit and stay away from.
"Halo Andy" Greeted Vadim, who was standing outside the Vodka Bar, where we met last night. "Let's grab some breakfast, then we can head to the stadium." He continued, as we made our way on foot into the centre of the town, which I was hoping to get the chance to look around the previous day.
As we sat in a cafe, Vadim asked "So Andy, are you liking Kiev? and How long you stay?" I started tucking into the large plate of fried meat, eggs, mushrooms and bread before responding. "Well, I'm here for the England Sweden game, but wanted to experience the build up aswell. I'm hoping maybe I can get to another game if possible before I head back to England." The conversations continued as we finished the rest of our food, and out of gratitude for Vadim returning my passport, I settled the bill for both of us and we started to make tracks towards the local stadium where the Ukraine football team were scheduled to train.

images

"Wait here Andy, I'll be back in one moment."
said Vadim, before he disappeared into the stadium reception area. As I stood outside, I recognised the stadium he had brought me too. It was the small venue that the taxi driver was laughing hysterically at just after I had arrived in the country. The stadium was the Obolon Arena, home of FC Obolon Kyiv who currently play in the Ukranian first division and are managed by Serhiy Konyushenko.
I noticed Vadim walking back, so I made my way over to him and he handed me a stadium pass and motioned for me to follow him. We entered the ground, walking past the Ukraine team bus and entered through a side door which was located under one of the stands. As we continued our walk I noticed a door up ahead, and could vaguely hear voices behind it. As the door got closer, the talking became louder and I read the sign which was blue tacked on the door 'UKRAINE' it read in big bold capital letters. "Wow" I thought to myself, how has Vadim pulled this off.
As I slowed to read the sign, Vadim was a few paces ahead, so I quickened my pace to catch up with him. "Here we sit Andy." Vadim pointed towards the direction of the dugout. "The dugout?" I questioned in a surprised voice. "Yes, it's ok, my dad has approved." Replied Vadim, making his way through the gangway and sitting himself on one of the chairs in the dugout.

As I settled in the seat next to Vadim, the players started to make their way out and onto the pitch and while the coaches were finalising their set up of the drills they would be covering, the players started to jog around the perimeter of the grass. The players made a left turn and began to make their way up on our side of the pitch, so I started to try and make out who the players were. First Tymoschuk, the Bayern Munich midfielder ran past, followed by highly rated attacking winger Eugene Konoplyanka and ex Liverpool forward Andriy Voronin. I was so caught up watching the players, that I hadn't noticed Vadim being given a high five, by another player and I couldn't believe my eyes when Ukrainian legend Andriy Shevchenko was that player embracing Vadim. I needed answers from Vadim, how did he get such amazing access to the training session and what was his relationship with Shevchenko. "Vadim, how?" I gestured, still in amazement as to what I was experiencing. Vadim smiled and sat back down. "My dad, he is the owner of FC Obolon Kyiv, so he knows most Ukrainian players and Shevchenko is a close family friend. Oleksandr, my father, he is a wealthy man and helped pay for the building you stay in also." After he finished explaining, we got back to watching the training session and me being the football fanatic that I am, took out a pad of paper and a pen and started to take notes on the various training sessions that the coaches were putting the players through. Forty-five minutes into my note taking, I noticed a well dressed man, with dark grey hair and glasses watching the training session from a seating area just above from where Vadim and myself were sat. "Who's that Vadim?" I asked. Vadim turned round and raised his hand to the man, who simultaneously responded. "My dad, come on, let's go and see him."
"Halo boys. You must be Andy. Vadim has told me about you." said Oleksandr Slobodian, the owner of Obolon Kyiv. "Yes sir. Thank you so much for your kind generosity." I replied thankfully. "It's ok Andy. I must go now, but tomorrow please join me and my family for dinner. What do you say?" Oleksandr asked, holding his hand out for a handshake. "Yes that would be lovely, Thank you." I answered and shook the outstrecthed palm.

Before dinner at the Slobodian household, I wanted to explore more of Kiev and despite all the warnings of racism and violence, the city made me feel more safe with each passing day. I pulled out my city guide and chose to visit the Dnipro Hills, where the greatest monument in Kiev is situated. The Pecherska Lavra, was the building I was going to see. Built over nine centuries ago it's a complex of churches and museums that attract visitors from all over the world.
I spent nearly three hours wandering around such a prestigious landmark here in Kiev and after many pictures and souvenir bought from the many gift shops, it was time for me to head back to my apartment and get ready to meet Vadim, his dad and the rest of their family for dinner.

Mr Slobodian had insisted on sending one of his chauffer driven cars to pick me up, even though I could've taken a taxi to the luxurious mansion situated on the outskirts of the city. After travelling fifteen minutes from where I was staying the driver pulled off the main road and headed up a long driveway, which was lit up by tall old fashioned lamp posts on either side. Eventually we reached the top of the entrance and after typing in the security code, the electric gates opened and I was driven to the front door. I stepped out of the door which was opened for me by the chauffer and as I approached the door, it opened and their stood Vadim. "Halo Andy, come in." I took off my trainers and followed Vadim into a room which I could only describe as huge, it was the size of the whole of my downstairs in my house back in the UK. Mr Slobodian greeted me first, then introduced me to his beautiful wife, his daughter and other son, Vadim's brother. It wasn't long before I felt more relaxed and at ease and the longer the conversations continued, I was feeling more and more at home and it was mainly down to how welcoming and kind the Slobodian's had been. My glass was being re-filled by one of the waiters, when another entered the room and declared that dinner was ready.

With my plate piled high with piping hot food and my glass continually being topped up, Mr Slobodian started off another conversation. "So Andy. I saw you take notes of training. Do you coach in UK? He asked, as he placed a fork full of potato into his mouth. "Yes, I love football, and currently coach a semi-pro team in England. I enjoy watching and learning from the pro's, that way I can keep adding to my portfolio of sessions, to go along with my qualifications I hold." I answered, as I too placed food onto my fork. "I like that and I enjoy the passion of the English game. During your time here, you are welcome anytime to watch training and make more notes. I will sort passes for you." Said Mr Slobodian, before continuing. "I know.....The Euros don't start till next weekend, if you like you can take a session for the Obolon Kyiv Under 21s and use some of your training sessions and maybe my coaches can learn from you?" It didn't take me long to answer, not only did I have nothing planned, but it gave me the opportunity to fill up a day before the tournament got underway. "That would be great. You have been most kind since I arrived. I can't wait to get out on the training pitch." I answered excitedly. The night went on filled with more talking and questions of what England was like, where I lived and many other subjects, whilst enjoying a variety of alcoholic beverages that were situated on the a glass table and accompanied by a large platter of cheese and biscuits.

images

I had such a great time over the weekend spent with the Slobodian family and with all the eating and drinking, Sunday was a day of complete rest and I hardly ventured out my apartment. But today was the day I would be coaching the under 21s of Obolon Kyiv, the team that Vadim's father was chairman, so there was a little pressure on me to perform and put on a good session, as not only would Oleksandr Slobodian be in attendance, he wanted me to pass on some English coaching methods to the coaching staff of the first team who normally take training for the younger of the two teams.
As I made my way towards the reception at the ground, I noticed a man standing outside wearing a dark green Obolon Kyiv club tracksuit. "Morning, you are Andy? I'm Laszlo Rats. Assistant to first team. Come with me." he said, without pausing for breath or allowing me to answer. He showed me into the first team dressing room, where laid out in front of me was the coaching kit and a pair of brand new Adidas Copa Mundial boots, size 11. "We see you outside on pitch shortly." Laszlo Rats said, before leaving the room to allow me to get ready.
as I was just finishing tying up my boot lace, the door opened and in walked Vadim. "Good luck Andy, my dad really likes you." He smiled and left to take his seat in the stand alongside the owner. Those words helped settled a few butterflies I had whizzing around inside my stomach and with a deep breath I made my out towards the group of huddled players, who were listening intently to Laszlo. On my approach the players looked up and created a gap to allow me to join and Laszlo continued before explaining who I was and why I was here.

With the eighteen squad players going through their warm up, that another coach had set up, I was left to organise my session. I wanted to impress the watching spectators and make them think that this English nobody does know his stuff. So I set up a keep ball session which would be followed by a 3v3, two touch small sided games. I got got the lads in and organised them into teams, and with the help of an interpreter, the players got started. I really wanted to focus on ball retention in tight areas, whilst under pressure from defending players, so it was imperative that with the interpreters help and also Laszlo's I could get the my main points across. The players soon got to grips with the philosophy I was trying to get across and were able to start to know when to release the ball in good areas, improve their decision making and increase their movement off the ball to create more options to the player in possession of the ball.
With the players having a deserved drinks break, I turned in the direction of the scattered spectators and out the corner of my eye I noticed Mr Slobodian having a discussion with what looked like one of the coaches. It continued for a couple more minutes, before the man wearing the club tracksuit tore off his jacket and threw it to the ground before storming off. Without wanting to be caught out I got back to the final part of my session which was 3v3 small sided games, this would allow the players to work on what we had been practising, but also moving the ball quickly in counter attacking movements and playing two touch, so helping their first touch and decision making more.
The lads all came upto me at the end of the session and shook my hand and seemed very grateful for what they had just took part in, and as they made their way off the pitch and into the dressing room, I stayed out and started to pick up the cones and equipment I had used. As I was packing away the bibs Vadim came over with his dad following him, "Brilliant Andy, perfect. Well done." He congratulated me, before Mr Slobodian stepped in to talk. "Andy, just what I wanted. Laszlo, like me, was very impressed. I have meetings now, but I hope to speak to you soon." He said before answering his mobile and walking towards his blacked out limousine.
"Vadim, what was going on with you dad and that guy in the stand?" I tentatively asked while continuing to pack away. "Oh, that was Serhiy Konyushenko, the first team manager. He took offence to my dad inviting you here today. It's nothing for you to worry. Now, let's go out with a couple of the players tonight for celebration." Vadim answered excitedly, then passed me his mobile number and dashed off to grab a lift with his dad.

images

"I'll have a bottle of Corona please"
I asked the tall, blonde stood behind the bar. The Vodka Bar was fairly quiet, which would make it easier for me to notice Vadim when he arrived. No sooner had my beer arrived, Vadim walked in accompanied by his older brother Oleg and two other people that I vaguely recognised from the training session I took earlier that day. "Andy welcome. You know my brother Oleg, and this is Vitaliy Sokurenko and Vyacheslav Turchanov." Introduced Vadim as he went around the group. "Nice to meet you" I said as I shook each persons hand and offered to buy the lads a round of drinks. By the time I got served, the bar was starting to fill up, so we quickly made our way to one of the empty booths. En Route both Vitaliy and Vyacheslav were constantly being stopped, either for autographs or for girls to have their picture taken with them. Finally we got to our booth and got straight onto talking about football, which was good as with my lack of speaking Ukranian, I could just about join in with conversations or I had help from either Vadim or Oleg. "Andy, both Vitaliy and Vyacheslav have said that they and the others loved today and got much out of the session." Shouted Vadim, who now not only had to compete with the loud music being played on the dance floor, but the various other chat that was going on in the nearby groups of people, that had gathered around our booth, looking for more autographs and pictures from the two professional footballers that were sat in our company.

*****​

Apart from the odd drunk that was staggering past where we were sat, we became less interupted and were able to get back to enjoying the bottle of Vodka that Oleg had bought and carried on our chats, only pausing when an attractive girl had walked passed.
With the Vodka gone, along with the rest of the drinks on our table, the two footballers decided to hit the dance floor, but myself, Vadim and Oleg declined and decided we would head home. After saying goodbye to Vitaliy and Vyacheslav they got back to dancing with a possy of adoring female followers and the three of us headed towards the exit.
It was nice feeling the cool air on my face, but before I could enjoy it some more, I received two text messages on my mobile. One was from Louise, my fiancee, asking how everything was going and the other was a voicemail. Following a reply back to Louise, I dialled 121 on my mobile keypad and started to listen to the message. "Halo Andy. It Oleksandr Slobodian. I like very much to talk with you. Come over for breakfast tomorrow. Bye." It had just gone three 'o' clock in the morning and by the time I would get home it would be approaching four!! So with the shock of knowing I would have about four hours sleep, I set an alarm on my phone to make sure I wouldn't over sleep. The Slobodian brothers must've known I would receive a call from their father and that he wanted me to meet up with him early this morning, so they offered me a lift back in the families chauffer driven car. "See you in a few hours" The pair of them giggled out the car window, as I let myself into the apartment complex.

I woke suddenly to the sound of a car beeping its horn. "Beep, Beeeeep." and in an instant I turned to check the time, 8:15am, showed the bright blue LED light, that was shining from the bedside radio. The horn sounded again, this one for a little longer, "Beeeeeeeep", so I made my way over to the window to see what the noise was about, only to find it was Mr Slobodian's driver trying to hurry me along. "Quick, Quick Mr!" Shouted the chauffer up towards me. "Why am I needed so early, I'm sure I was meeting Oleksandr later." I thought to myself, as I searched around for some clothes to wear.
I raced down the stairs and jumped straight into the awaiting car, and we sped off towards the Slobodian's house. "Oleksandr, wanted to meet you urgent, that's why so early." Explained the driver, as he skidded to a halt at the front door.

*****​

Mr Slobodian's wife opened the door and welcomed me in. I could hear talking from behind one of the closed doors on my right and without wanting to make any noise I slowly removed my trainers and started to walk to the main living room. But as I passed the room where the talking was coming from, the door flew open and the two men, one of whom was Oleksandr Slobodian, continued their rant, then almost simultaneously they stopped, and the second man, who I seemed to recognise, noticed me and started pointing and wagging his finger in my direction, while shouting in Ukrainian. Eventually Oleksandr summoned his security to usher the angry man out of his house, and then apologised for the outburst I'd just witnessed and invited me into the room where they both came from.

Oleksandr(in a Ukranian accent): "Andy, so sorry you have to see shouting. That was Serhiy Konyushenko, he was here to talk about new idea I have for Obolon Kyiv."

Me: "Okay, but what have I done to make him so angry?"

Oleksandr: "Well, First he not impressed that you take training for Under 21s other day, and now he has differing view on my new idea."

Me: "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset him. I guess he must not like the English."

Oleksandr: "Haha, yes maybe. You don't have to apologise, I thought your training was excellent. That is what I wanted to speak to first Serhiy, to see if he liked idea, and then you, to see if you were keen."

Me: "I see, and I guess he wasn't to happy."

Oleksandr: "No, he wasn't keen on idea and proposal of you joining coaching team, if it interest you of course."

Me: "Well, yes of course it's something that I would be interested in, but not if it disrupts what you and Serhiy have built since you took over a couple years ago."

Oleksandr: "In truth, we have done okay, but that is why I want you to join coaching team, to help us move team forward and challenge Shakhtar Donetsk and of course Dynamo Kyiv. But unfortunately Serhiy didn't keen for help."

Me: "That's okay, I understand. And I'm sure if I was in his position, maybe I would feel a little threatened."

Oleksandr: "This is problem Andy. Serhiy, after seeing you, resigned immediately. That is why he shout at you, he feels you were after his job."

Me: "But Oleksandr, I'm just here for the Euro's. And as I want to develop and improve my coaching, watching the Ukraine national team training helped me gather new ideas and then being allowed to coach the Under 21s of Obolon Kyiv was valuable experience that I can take back to the UK. I never meant for Serhiy to resign!"

Oleksandr: "I understand Andy. But if that's what all I have done for Serhiy means to him, then good riddance. Now Andy, in my life I have taken many risk to get what I have today and I'm willing to take risk on you."

Me: "On me???"

Oleksandr: "Yes, you!! Myself and Laszlo Rats was very impressed after your training. And players enjoyed it too."

Me: "Thank you, I appreciate that. But what's the risk?"

Oleksandr: " I want you to become Manager of Obolon Kyiv."

Me: "Wow, I don't know what to say. I'm only here for a short time and more importantly I have a fiancee, house and my family back in England."

Oleksandr: "Understand your views Andy, but I think you have what it takes to be a success here and with fresh new ideas, you can take Obolon Kyiv further than any other manager."

Me: "It is a dream offer Mr Slobodian. But I really need time to discuss with my family and get their opinions. When do you need an answer?"

Oleksandr: "I will fly you back in my private jet tonight and you come back in a couple of days with answer."

Me: "Thank you so much, I can't say Yes I will accept, but I will discuss and give you an honest answer in the next day or two."

Oleksandr: "Whatever you decide. I will respect."

images

Mr Slobodian's private jet touched down at Heathrow late into the night and while it was slowly making it's way towards a private car that Oleksandr had arranged to take me home, I started to go over in more detail the proposal that was offered to me less than 24 hours ago and secondly how would Louise and my family react to the news.
Having been fast tracked through customs and passport control, I was soon being driven at high speed down the M25 and towards my home in Hampshire. In the car and now whizzing down the M3, I realised just how influential Mr Slobodian is, not only did he receive preferential treatment in his homeland of the Ukraine to allow us to take off when we wanted, he also had contacts in this country and he sure did know how to go that little bit extra to impress.

As we reached my house, I noticed that my Mum and Dad's car was parked in the drive and the living room lights were on, so along with Louise they were awaiting my arrival. Without wanting to keep them wondering any longer and why I text them so late, to arrange this urgent get together I got out the car and made my way to the front door. No sooner had I opened the door and the questions began, although I did receive a nice hug and kiss from Louise, but then she started. What's happened? Are you Okay? She asked, before my mum carried on. "Come on, what's happened? Tell us Andrew, What have you got yourself into?" She said, in that accusing tone most mothers seem to possess, before eventually allowing you to answer.

Me: "Right, everyone just calm down. First of all, Yes I'm fine, there is nothing to worry about. Please can we sit down in the lounge and relax."

Louise: "Phew, that's good to hear. Let me put the kettle on."

Dad: "What's it been like over there? No trouble I hope."

Me: "It's actually been fine, despite the rumours and aside from my passport incident, I've really enjoyed it."

Mum: "Good, and the coaching session Mr Slobo.....whatever his name is invited you to take?"

Me: "Well it's because of that session, which has made me pop back......."

Mum and Louise: " POP BACK!!!!!

Dad: "Let the boy finish."

Me: "Yes, it's only a short stop, remember I've still got England Sweden tickets! Anyway Mr Slobodian, who owns a Ukranian first division team called Obolon Kyiv, wanted me to join the coaching staff to help bring a fresh new approach to the club, but the first team manager decided to quit yesterday as he felt threatened by me coming on board. Well, as Mr Slobodian and the other coaches were very impressed by my coaching session, he has offered me the chance to become the new manager. Hence why I've flown back, so I could chat it through with you guys, before making a decison."

Dad: "Excellent, well done son."

Mum: "Hang on a minute, What about your house? And where will you stay? What will louise do? And us? How long is it for? You need to think this through Andrew."

Louise: "Your mum does make some good points babe, but if it can be worked out that regular visits can happen, then I'm happy for you to do it, as I know you've worked so hard in this country for this type of opportunity. If all goes well, we can review what I do, maybe I could come out and stay."

Mum: "Hmm well I think you need to clear afew bits up before agreeing to anything."

Dad: "Go for it son, but make sure a few bits are confirmed before putting pen to paper."

Me: "Yes of course, there's no way I'd agree to anything if it jeopardized me seeing you or our relationship. I will make sure the loose ends are tied up and will be in touch about the next stages. You know I love u loads, thanks for everything."

The chat with Louise and my parents went better than I thought and though I understood some concerns they had, especially Louise and my Mum, I knew deep down this was an opportunity I couldn't really afford to turn down and wanted to make the most of such a fantastic opportunity that had been presented to me, by a chairman that was about to take a huge risk, but one he he had complete faith and trust in.
I managed to grab a couple hours sleep in my own bed and after packing up a few more belongings, I said my goodbyes to Louise and got back in the car I travelled down in, which had been parked along with the driver inside all night on the edge of my drive.
Before I was about to take off, I called Oleksandr Slobodian. "Hi Mr Slobodian, I'm on my way back to the Ukraine. I will speak to you more in about three hours." And with the phone call done, I sat back and pondered the next chapter in my life.

Back in the Ukraine and after sleeping for an hour or two on the plane, I left the airport and headed straight from the airport to the Slobodian's. As I approached the front door there was a note on the door that read..... 'Come in Andy, we are out the back'..... so I made my way in and went to look for Oleksandr.

Oleksandr: "Welcome Andy. I hoping you bring me good news?"

Me: "Well before I say too much there are a few concerns. Firstly my family and fiancee are very important to me and I will find it tough being away from them for long periods and What are my options for a place to stay, as I don't know how long I will be here?"

Oleksandr: "Andy, you not need worry. When your family and Louise want to visit, you use my plane whenever you need, and when you go back to UK. Your apartment you stay in now, I pay for the year and then we discuss what happens after. Sound good?"

Me: "Yes that is more than acceptable, thank you Mr Slobodian. And lastly what are the terms of the contract you are offering me?"

Oleksandr: "It will be a 1 year risk free contract. I pay you £1,200 per week. And there will be small money to buy players, but a nice wage budget to use how you want."

Me: "That sounds good to me. And what about staff?"

Oleksandr: "Well Lazslo wants to stay and assist you, but you may sack, keep or hire who you wish. So what your answer be?"

Me: "Although it maybe tough at first, I think i'm capable of managing Obolon Kyiv. So I would be very pleased to accept your offer."

Oleksandr: "Fantastic. I will unveil you at press conference to media after the England Sweden game, that you have tickets for. But then the hard work begins after."

Me: "I'm looking forward to working with you. Over the next week I will meet the staff, to get to know their ideas and then the players to see who can take us forward and then after the end of my holiday, I will knuckle down and get to work."

The last couple of days and the lengthy discussions had started to take it's toll on me, so after agreeing to take the vacant manager's role at Obolon Kyiv, I felt I needed a days rest.
After a much needed sleep, I decided to visit a couple more of Kiev's attractions, before organising arrangements to bring over some more of my belongings. Then it would be down to buisness spending the rest of the coming week planning for the new season ahead which was scheduled to start in July. Also In that time I really wanted to learn more about the club I'd taken over and most importantly start to learn some of the language, although I did note from the training session I took, that most of the players and staff spoke and understood basic English, so I'm hoping that communication won't be too much of an issue.
Even though I have lots of jobs scheduled to do, I still wanted to make the most of my remaining holiday and enjoy the Euro's, as it's because of them I'm here and one thing I didn't want to do, was burn myself out, so I wouldn't be able to focus and give my all throughtout the year that I'm here.

great start mate, love the way you've gradually honed into it being a story about a football manager rather than just a trip to the ukraine which is what i initially thought it was. really interested to hear more!

great start mate, love the way you've gradually honed into it being a story about a football manager rather than just a trip to the ukraine which is what i initially thought it was. really interested to hear more!

Thanks buddy, you seem to be the only keen at the moment, appreciate it. Yeah I'm going to try and keep it linked to the Euro's, but will be turning it more into the football manager story as the weeks go on and maybe get a few more people interested, either way I'll be keeping it going.

Cheers. :D

I'm interested mate. The start you've made is good - I like how you've actually given it a storyline and slowly built up to being a manager; rather than initially writing as a manager. Seems interesting - I'll keep checking back :)

I'm interested mate. The start you've made is good - I like how you've actually given it a storyline and slowly built up to being a manager; rather than initially writing as a manager. Seems interesting - I'll keep checking back :)

Thanks mate, really appreciate all feedback. Thank you, hope you will enjoy other updates. :D

This story is incredible!! Absolutely loving it mate

This has to be one of the best if not the best story out there at the moment! I hope it never ends!!

You know a always follow your story's and yet again you have me hooked :) keep up the good worked.

Back