Iran threatens boycott over Olympic Logo

Reaction score
London 2012 Olympics: Iran objects to Games logo due to similarity to word 'Zion'

The much maligned London 2012 Olympics logo has received a fresh batch of criticism from an unlikely source after Iran protested against the logo, claiming it is racist and spells the word 'Zion'.

The emblem features an array of colours and jagged edges which intend to spell out '2012' and not Zion, a biblical term which is widely recognised to refer to the city of Jerusalem.

But Mohammad Aliabadi, head of the National Olympic Committee in the Islamic republic, insisted the logo was a sign of "racism".

In a letter to International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge, he wrote: "Unfortunately, we all are witnessing that the upcoming Olympics ... faces a serious challenge, definitely spawned out of some people's racist spirit.
"The use of the word Zion by the designer of Olympics logo ....in the emblem of the Olympic Games 2012 is a very revolting act."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...ames-logo-due-to-similarity-to-word-Zion.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/28/iran-london-olympics-logo-zion

Thoughts please.

Last edited:
what is being said is complete bull

but we finally get the chance to hole the olympics and we have the shittest logo possible

If I'm honest, the Iranian president is a total **** and hates everything to do with the Western World. Grow up you ****

Oh noooo, not Iran! Everyone loves them! :'(

I honestly can't see the "Zion".

Those sneaky logo designers turned the N 90 degrees clockwise to hide their jew loving ways!

* shrugs *

The logo was poor to begin with. People have even said it looks like Lisa Simpson giving head. But I would be happy if they changed the logo, because then we could actually have a decent enough logo to power the Olympic Games in 2012.

Iran's sporting process will surely be a huge loss to the spectacle of the Olympics.

Zoin, maybe. No one reads top to bottom, left to right. Get a grip.
Besides, it's clearly Lisa Simpson giving head.

What next? Ben Ainslie's sailing route spells out "We hate Iran"? Chris Hoy's bike has lots of letters on it, and if you miss half of them out, rearrange them and jiggle it about a little you get "Up yours Ahmedinejad"? This is ridiculous!

crock of ****. sorry i'm grumpy for obvious reasons lol. But if they are kicking off because of a logo, then for gods sake.

I hated the logo in the first place anyway, it looks stupid. >.<

What next? Ben Ainslie's sailing route spells out "We hate Iran"? Chris Hoy's bike has lots of letters on it, and if you miss half of them out, rearrange them and jiggle it about a little you get "Up yours Ahmedinejad"? This is ridiculous!

That was fantastic.

I thank you for cheering me up on this miserable night!!

These same people kill their own citizens for sport

Not a shocker he would cry about this.

Remember when he said the holocaust never happened?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai0y5sLg5bg"]YouTube - London 2012 Olympic Games Logo Design *******!? WTF[/ame]

Just saying.

It's ironic that for some people the logo appears to spell 'Zion', and others believe it looks similar to a swastika. Slightly contradictory!