Ireland demands delay Milner move

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 64
  • Views Views 3K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Backwards? We finished eighteenth and three 6th place finishes and a carling cup final. That's hardly backwards and argueably, we should have beaten united if Vidic would have got the red card he deserved.
I didn't see the 'should of been red card' but you can't really say he deserved a red card, unless he actually got one. However, like in England v Brazil in 2002, United with a player sent off may play more defensive and change their style, and it's hard to get past one of the best teams in the league playing very defensive. You never knew what may of happened.

I am assuming that if he does flop,what could happen....and yes good players do flop when they move clubs

Robinho 2nd Season at Man City
Kaka at Real Madrid
The entire England Team at the World Cup
Shaun-Wright Philipps at Man City
Bellamy at numerous clubs
Ibrahimovic at Barcelona

They are a few examples,I agree that with most of them they have been svereal external problems aswell but this could happen to Milner no matter how consistent he is
Robinho wasn't really a flop, just a couple of bad games, still good for Brazil at the World Cup, Kaka is getting a bit old now and had a couple of injuries, still played quite well for Brazil in South Africa. Capello's formation didn't suit many players and the use of Heskey over Crouch was suicide, it was really Capello's stubbornness which was the issue. Wright-Phillips was a bench warmer at Chelsea and had a good couple of games at the start of his City career. Bellamy wasn't very good for Liverpool, West Ham anyway, and he has played brilliantly for City. I would hardly say scoring again Casillas and against the great side of Real Madrid is what a flop does. Ibrahimovic is doing well at Barca and they signed Villa because it was at a great price, and then they sold Henry to balance the books.

Also, everyone has a chance of being dropped if they don't play well, Robinho, Heskey, Carew, SWP, anyone really...and I'm sure Milner will fight for his place, getting into the England squad was hard and he did it ahead of Cole, Gerrard, etc.

Anyway, if Bradley is such a good manager, why didn't they beat Brazil? Everyone goes on about 'They were 2-0 up at half time' but they didn't win, they lost. And that's really what matters, North Korea still lost to Brazil, 2-1 is still a lost.

I didn't see the 'should of been red card' but you can't really say he deserved a red card, unless he actually got one. However, like in England v Brazil in 2002, United with a player sent off may play more defensive and change their style, and it's hard to get past one of the best teams in the league playing very defensive. You never knew what may of happened.

Well, it he deserved a red card, last man in the penalty area, that's a red card. As for what might have happened, well it certainly wouldn't have been as easy for them to score, it would've left them slightly short, something a counter attacking side can expose.

I agree that Bradley did not beat Brazil but it shows that he is capable of doing so by taking a 2-0 lead in the first half and he did beat Spain and honetly they performed far more better than Englad at the World Cup,the looked more like a team

Obviously he is going to a first team player.. He will play in midfield alongside Yaya Toure and Barry. De Jonh and Vieira will be backup, and perhaps used in really defensive matches.. It will all pan out fine, but I think we are still overpaying, and i'd rather have Donovan or someone like that, as Joe said, who give the best they can.

well done, looks like man ****** are getting rid off their home grown.everbody knows that home grown players are the link between the club and the fans.

i think Ireland is a better player then Milner

Ireland should hold out for a pay-off.He signed a new contract not too long ago and doesn't want to leave. Therefore City have to compensate him.

I completely agree with you KingEric but its not like City are short of money eh....

Imo, the only person that the Ireland to Villa deal will benefit (or the person it will benefit the most) would be Ireland himself. If he stays at Villa, lets face it, Man City still have the money to buy Milner if needs be anyway and Ireland will rot on the bench...

Fed up of this thread, In future try not to turn a trasnfer roumour thread into a 'Slagging match'. It's boring.

Fed up of this thread, In future try not to turn a trasnfer roumour thread into a 'Slagging match'. It's boring.
seems people have lost the ability to make a point without slagging each other off. and im starting to see the same sets of users each time. will be watching those users over the weekend...

Aston Villa's James Milner gives Manchester City ultimatum over transfer
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/16/aston-villa-manchester-city-james-milner

Manchester City have been warned they will have to complete the signing of James Milner by Wednesday or face the prospect of the England international remaining at Aston Villa for the rest of the season.

Talks between City and Villa remain ongoing, as they have been for most of the summer, but Milner has now become so exasperated with the speed at which negotiations are being conducted that he is no longer willing to continue playing with his future shrouded in doubt. City have been told that unless they can reach an agreement with Villa within the next 24 hours, Milner will remain in the Midlands and close the door on the summer's longest transfer saga.

Milner's frustration lies with City rather than Villa and he has started to question just how badly the club want to sign him because of the delay in pushing the deal through. The transfer has been held up at City's end because of Stephen Ireland's settlement demands – the midfielder has a little under four years remaining on his contract and has asked for a £2m payoff – but Milner feels that he is being placed in an unfair position by being asked to keep waiting until that situation, which has nothing to do with him, is resolved.

The 24-year-old, who was outstanding for Villa against West Ham United on Saturday when he scored the third goal in a 3-0 victory and left the field to a standing ovation, believes he needs to set a deadline to bring matters to a head. He remains hopeful there will be a breakthrough tomorrow, but if that is not the case, he will board the plane to Austria with the rest of the Villa squad on Wednesday morning for their Europa League play-off first leg against Rapid Vienna on Thursday.

Villa's hierarchy have already given Kevin MacDonald, the club's caretaker manager in the wake of Martin O'Neill's resignation, the go-ahead to pick Milner for the Rapid Vienna game. "If we were going to stop him playing, then we should have stopped him playing in the Premier League because there's probably more chance of him getting an injury in a Premier League game because of the physical contact," MacDonald said.

"If James hasn't gone to Manchester City by the middle of the week, I'm sure he'll want to play, because he just loves playing football, as you saw out there [against West Ham]."

Milner is comfortable with that situation and has already brought his passport into the club in preparation to travel and play. If he features against Rapid Vienna, he would be cup-tied and could potentially be unavailable for 17 matches for City in the Europa League should they reach the final of the competition. That prospect, combined with Milner's threat to pull the plug on the transfer, is expected to lead to a fraught day of negotiations between all parties tomorrow.

Both club's preference is for Ireland to form part of any deal as a makeweight but, should that not be possible, City had previously indicated they were willing to do a straight cash deal, valuing Milner at about £26m. However, City have never been in a rush to complete the transfer, perhaps suspecting Villa would cave in.

Instead, Villa have dug their heels in and rebuilt bridges with Milner. Randy Lerner, the Villa chairman, and Paul Faulkner, the club's chief executive, have spoken to Milner in the past week, strengthening the lines of communication that had broken down after O'Neill provoked a furious row during pre-season when he claimed that the player had told him he wanted to leave the club.

Villa know that Milner's head has been turned and are resigned to losing him if City meet their valuation, but time is fast running out for the world's richest club to show the colour of their money if Ireland refuses to budge on his financial demands.

You can have the money grabbing ****, I'd be ireland over Milner any day and the extra 20 or so million we could probably use to get a decent striker.

It's Ireland asking for the money, not Milner.

City shouln't give him it, then again when it comes to money you wouldn't think they had a double figure IQ.

i dont understand why people think that without one player or a certain manager,a club is going to self-destruct,people used to say that about Chelsea when Mourinho left but we have won the 'Double' last season with Ancelloti.I suppose that Villa may not finish 6th again or reach the Carling Cup Final this season but they are not going to fall incredibly as you say

yeah! people used to say that about us when curbishly left and look... oh wait, hang on.... :)

anyway as has been said above, i seriously think milner's career could be damaged by moving to city. its a similar story to what happend with chelsea a few years ago. (sorry to pick on them chelsea fans). players like SWP, steve sidwell, scott parker, damien duff (although he is getting back to his best now), were all on the fringes of the england team (except duff) before they moved to chelsea. then they just sat on the bench, and now they are a shadow of their former selves... i think it could be a similar situation at city in the near future...

Cant really blame Ireland to be honest. He is only looking out for himself and he knows City are minted. They want to get rid of him so quickly but he ha dug his heels in and rightly so. This is one of the downfalls of being the richest club around and can see more players doing it.

Serves City right for paying players too much and then treating them like ****.

Serves City right for paying players too much and then treating them like ****.
stop making the same argumentative (and flawed) point repeatedly. im tired of the city bashing that derails threads. if this continues there will be infractions left right and centre

Last edited:
Just give him the payment! He would get more than that if hes stays so whats the prob giving him half of what he would have got. It probley comes down to the fact that we have high earners which we want to sell and they will all want pay offs aswell but Ireland has give us good service so for me its a know brainer.

Robinho has found it hard to adjust to English lifestyle
Kaka was injured alot of the season.
SWP has hardly flopped.
Not really sure how Ibrahimovic flopped.

Yes, some of those players have had bad form, but you would say that is the end of their careers? Really? Even the whole England team?

One bad season is hardly gonna kill the careers of these players is it?
Ibrahimovic is **** anyway :D

ireland was citys player of the season 2 years ago and this is how they go about it, just shocking. somthing tells me villa have got the best of this deal.

ireland was citys player of the season 2 years ago and this is how they go about it, just shocking. somthing tells me villa have got the best of this deal.
to be honest we cant really say that they start playing. cannot wait for the two sides to meet though, very tasty game when that comes up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back