Ireland set for Aston Villa exit

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 52
  • Views Views 2K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Aston Villa midfielder Stephen Ireland tells manager Gerard Houllier that he wants to leave the club in the January transfer window.

More...

Thank God. Always loved this guy, and he deserves a WAY BETTER team.

Wouldn't mind having him at man utd tbh, only if he plays like he did in 08/09 though and I can't blame him for wanting to leave as he never wanted to join them anyway

Shocked!! This has been coming since day one of the season.

he went where he was told, and got paid a **** of a lot to do so

clearly doesn't want to be there, and both parties will be better off parting company for sure

sunderland have wanted him for ages, but i bet he goes to liverpool or somewhere :S

Great player when he is loved. Should join someone like Bolton i rekon.

Anyone else thinks he looks like a children's TV presenter/part time child molester?

He's been terrible at Villa and Villa have been terrible all round so don't blame him.

Thank God. Always loved this guy, and he deserves a WAY BETTER team.

A way better team? The way he's performed, he'd be lucky to get into West Ham's team. He has shown no desire whatsoever.

Spurs... Liverpool... I think he would fit in any.

Not if he keeps his mindset.

I'm more than happy to sell him. His work ethic, his body language, his desire have all been either absent or terrible. Villa as a club pride themselves on hard work and high tempo. Ireland has mooned around the pitch showing a good touch here and there, but mostly allowing the game to pass him by. He's a good player, a very good player, but his mentality is completely wrong.

Personally I think he should've worked harder for a club that pulled him from the depths of City's star-filled squad and gave him a chance to claim a starting berth. He could've done it. He has the talent, and we were willing to forgive bad form. What Villa fans aren't willing to forgive, however, is total lack of dedication and an apparent disinterest in playing for us. I am very disappointed, but to be fair I shouldn't have expected much more from a player whose primary motivations in life seem to be aquiring truly ******* awful car spray jobs and making up excuses involving his gran dying so he doesn't have to play for his country.

****** off Ireland. Good riddance. Maybe we can get someone who is actually appreciative that we're willing to play them. Maybe we'll find someone who actually wants to play football, not just collect a pay packet. Maybe we'll find someone who is actually fit to wear the shirt of Aston Villa F.C.

Apart from that little rant, I'm optimistic. All of a sudden Villa find themselves in a position where we don't have to justify not playing a new aquisition. Young's been superb in a new, "central winger" role he's crafted for himself. It's clear that, with the impending return of Delph and the rise of Bannan, we no longer need any attacking midfield reinforcements. What we DO need is backup for Downing - who has been superb, as well as working his heart out (take note, Mr Ireland...) - on the left wing and some defensive midfield additions to help the ageing Petrov. A new striker would be nice too, please Mr Houllier. Oh, and maybe a right back.

Last edited:
he and Sven are good mates though and we have alot of cash to spend

I'd take him at Liverpool.

Although, I don't think Roy will go for him, as I think he'll be more focused on getting a new striker in as backup for, Torres. Despite N'Gog being one of our best players this season.

Ireland is a talented footballer, but must have a really poor attitude, im pretty sure that if he applied himself well in training, he would be in the starting 11 for Villa every week, so he is to blame IMO. Needs to settle down at a club, and let his feet do the talking. Gonna throw Fulham into the possible clubs who could take him, Mark Hughes is a big fan and fulham play some nice football

A way better team? The way he's performed, he'd be lucky to get into West Ham's team. He has shown no desire whatsoever.

Not if he keeps his mindset.

I'm more than happy to sell him. His work ethic, his body language, his desire have all been either absent or terrible. Villa as a club pride themselves on hard work and high tempo. Ireland has mooned around the pitch showing a good touch here and there, but mostly allowing the game to pass him by. He's a good player, a very good player, but his mentality is completely wrong.

Personally I think he should've worked harder for a club that pulled him from the depths of City's star-filled squad and gave him a chance to claim a starting berth. He could've done it. He has the talent, and we were willing to forgive bad form. What Villa fans aren't willing to forgive, however, is total lack of dedication and an apparent disinterest in playing for us. I am very disappointed, but to be fair I shouldn't have expected much more from a player whose primary motivations in life seem to be aquiring truly ******* awful car spray jobs and making up excuses involving his gran dying so he doesn't have to play for his country.

****** off Ireland. Good riddance. Maybe we can get someone who is actually appreciative that we're willing to play them. Maybe we'll find someone who actually wants to play football, not just collect a pay packet. Maybe we'll find someone who is actually fit to wear the shirt of Aston Villa F.C.

Apart from that little rant, I'm optimistic. All of a sudden Villa find themselves in a position where we don't have to justify not playing a new aquisition. Young's been superb in a new, "central winger" role he's crafted for himself. It's clear that, with the impending return of Delph and the rise of Bannan, we no longer need any attacking midfield reinforcements. What we DO need is backup for Downing - who has been superb, as well as working his heart out (take note, Mr Ireland...) - on the left wing and some defensive midfield additions to help the ageing Petrov. A new striker would be nice too, please Mr Houllier. Oh, and maybe a right back.

I agree 100% with every sentiment in this post. He has been God awful for us.

Back