Is Benfica insanely good in your saves too?

DarklinkCL

Reaction score
In mine (two), they have reached the UCL final three times, winning the first one, losing the second (against me) and with the third yet to play (against me or juventus, wish me luck!).

My impression is that Portuguese teams and players are generally way overrated in this year's game.

Yeah, they tend to grab up a lot of Brazilian regens very quickly in most of my saves, hold onto their best players and sell for high values. They usually get really overpowered in my games.

I also find that Portuguese teams are a bit overrated in FM16 ;) I think SI loves them :p

They won't sell me Renato Sanches, bunch of faggots, i swear.

I feel like Premier League teams are overrated, they get to semi-finals of CL and ****, it's like it's a video game and not real life.

For me Porto have emerged into a real European power. They've reached the semis of the Champions League the last two seasons. Last season they knocked out PSG in the quarter finals, the season before that they knocked out me (Manchester United) in the quarters.

Finally, the country that raised Ronaldo, Rui Costa and Figo gets some credit!!

Also, don't forget to check the past 6 years in Europa League semis and finals and see the number of Portuguese teams!

If Tielmens has high PA, why in the world a player that has 18 years old and play in Benfica 1st XI in the quarter finals of UCL can't have high PA???

About those Brazilian regens let me say:

Hulk, Alex Sandro, Deco, Javi Garcia, Matic, Di Maria, David Luiz, Marcos Rojo, Ramires, Markovic where all bought cheap and young and sold by millions.

If Portuguese teams had the financial power of West Ham we would rule Europe!

And im not going to start talking about Bernado Silva ....

Also, don't forget to check the past 6 years in Europa League semis and finals and see the number of Portuguese teams!

If Tielmens has high PA, why in the world a player that has 18 years old and play in Benfica 1st XI in the quarter finals of UCL can't have high PA???

Hulk, Alex Sandro, Deco, Javi Garcia, Matic, Di Maria, David Luiz, Marcos Rojo, Ramires, Markovic where all bought cheap and young and sold by millions.

... Danilo, Pepe, Eliaquim Mangala, James Rodíguez, João Moutinho, Jackson Martínez, Radamel Falcao... :D

No portuguese teams aren't overrated in anyway. If they are hiring Brazilian regens than the game has only became realistic. If you look at portuguese uefa coefficient and then compare it to the game performances of previous versions it was very unrealistic, you'd hardly see them reach europe league finals or do some good performances on champions league.
What is probably happening in your game is that the new television contracts kicked in and although I'm not saying that I expect that to make portuguese teams reach champions final 3 times in a row it is only expected that their performance will improve.

Portuguese big 3 finances are still nothing compared to a mid table english team.
And the portuguese players aren't overrated, at least when compared with other leagues, for example according to the database Danny Drinkwater would easily be a started for any of the big 3, yet that would be a real big no in reality.

Yeah, they tend to grab up a lot of Brazilian regens very quickly in most of my saves, hold onto their best players and sell for high values. They usually get really overpowered in my games.

'Cause that's not how it works in real life... ;)

Last edited:
Yeah they have been unreal in my save! Keep knocking me out of the Champions league!!

Yeah, not just Benfica, also Porto and other Portuguese teams, they sign Brazilian wonder kids out of no where (I mean my scouts never find them), and these players' value quickly become so high, but they still on less than 3 mil/y contract, and they never moan about going to a bigger club. When other team pay A LOT to sign them, they normally ask for over 10 mil/y.

LAUREL DOWNS

True story ;)

I think certain teams in this years game benefit from how the system plays out more so than others. If you look at some of the databases they are inconsistent. It is hard to judge a player on a scale of 1-20 for each attribute and get them all correct, how do you judge between what is form and what is a player's skill. Like the example of Danny Drinkwater, Renato Sanches is having his breakthrough season at Benfica and is looking at the possibility of a big move to a european giant, however he is almost looking on par with some top players at the age of 18. His physicals in the update are off the chain and he could challenge Pogba for best CM in a few years. I think it is a hard thing to judge and when you have a league that is less competitive than say that of the premier league how can you expect fair comparisons between the 2. So just because Gaitan is a beast in the Portuguese league doesn't mean he is as good as say a average winger in the premier league. (example not necessarily true or untrue) but because of this he is probably slightly overrated comparatively and they therefore turn certain teams into european giants.

As for the signing of Brazilian wonderkids this part is realistic and comparative to real life. Many Brazilian wonderkids take their first step into european football through the portuguese league as it is less of a culture shock comparatively to say England, so this is probably a fair representation of real life. As for the transfer fees that is probably also realistic, all you have to do is look at the latest line of exports from portugal to realise this. With Mangala being the best example off the top of my head - 32m for a CB who in the premier league struggles significantly without the aid of Kompany.

So yes they are probably somewhat overrated in terms of actual ability and how far they could possibly get in european competition (particularly in reference to CL) however I would also argue there are quite a lot of unrealistic things that occur in FM. I mean the English teams haven't done well in Europe for a number of years but I consistently see English sides in Semi/quarters and see no complaints regarding this. Unfortunately it is a simulation and not real life, it can't all be realistic. There are always gonna be some inconsistencies in a database of this size and it won't always work out but at least it offers a changing dynamic I guess.

I think certain teams in this years game benefit from how the system plays out more so than others. If you look at some of the databases they are inconsistent. It is hard to judge a player on a scale of 1-20 for each attribute and get them all correct, how do you judge between what is form and what is a player's skill. Like the example of Danny Drinkwater, Renato Sanches is having his breakthrough season at Benfica and is looking at the possibility of a big move to a european giant, however he is almost looking on par with some top players at the age of 18. His physicals in the update are off the chain and he could challenge Pogba for best CM in a few years. I think it is a hard thing to judge and when you have a league that is less competitive than say that of the premier league how can you expect fair comparisons between the 2. So just because Gaitan is a beast in the Portuguese league doesn't mean he is as good as say a average winger in the premier league. (example not necessarily true or untrue) but because of this he is probably slightly overrated comparatively and they therefore turn certain teams into european giants.

Judging by your nickname I couldn´t expect any different oppinion regarding Portugal. Too bad you can't change game dates and locations during WC anymore, right? ;) #66forever

Judging by your nickname I couldn´t expect any different oppinion regarding Portugal. Too bad you can't change game dates and locations during WC anymore, right? ;) #66forever

I wish I could! I thought I was as impartial as could be...

when I start a new save I always try to get Renato Sanches from Benfica, imho, he's one the best CM in the game.

I wish I could! I thought I was as impartial as could be...

You were impartial, I was just joking.

I'm Benfica fan and I also think that (by now) Renato is overrated.
Even though, it is also true that Benfica's good form is mostly due to his sudden appearence this season.