Is "El Clasico" over-rated?

SaintSinner

Reaction score
Last Monday, we saw how Barcelona are much superior team than Real Madrid. They thrashed Madrid 5-0 in front of packed Camp Nou. The goals they scored were not flukes, they were mastery of creativity and skills that Barcelona possess. Real Madrid were unbeaten under Mourinho before this match and his record is now broken. Real Madrid have made so much improvement this time compared to previous five seasons. All credit would go to Mourinho for reinstating the faith in his players.

El Clasico is the biggest match in Spanish La Liga, and possibly of the best fixture in World Football. But after the disappointing performance from Real Madrid, one has to think whether the fixture is highly overrated. Real Madrid failed to even score one goal during that 90+ minutes of play. Madrid never showed good composure in front of goal and Barcelona was scoring at will. They had 4 different player scoring for them. Villa scored two while Jeffren, Xavi and Pedro contributed one each to the total.

The last five years "El Clasico" has been much easier for Barcelona. They outscore Real with a 16-2 difference. Real Madrid are a great team with a rich history and players. But they can't just play against Barcelona- they are too good.

What do you think about El Clasico? Is it over-rated?

... did you not watch the match the other day? it had everything

Well , barcelona have all home grown players ....

It is not over rated, I dont think it was that popular before messi and ronaldo stepped in.

Not over-rated.
Watching two great teams, with a vast collection of great players play against eachother is pretty sweet. Even if one team outplays the other, we still see a brilliant game of football.

The el classico has been one of if not the most famous derby for YEARS!

i dont know how you can over rate it, it is one of the biggest spectacles in football...

this thread reminds me of talk sport radio presenters just saying things to incite people to ring up

Definitely not over rated, it may be a bit one sided... but the game has got everything you could wish for from a derby game...a lot of goals and very physical, even boiling over at points.

Not over-rated, Barcelona are dominating it at the moment but mark my words, Real will come back and fight tooth and nail for it in April

Not overrated. It was probably the most beautiful game of football I've seen.

Definatly over-rated, they are the best 2 teams in the league and will always be and so they suld be with the tv revinue they both get. Its unfair on all the other sides in the league and as some of them have/had major debts i.e Valencia and Mallorca come to mind yet the 2 teams who are already financialy wealthy get the bigger chunk of money every season.

The best team in the world playing, possibly, the second best team in the world ? No barcelona match is boring to watch, or over-rated, nevermind the biggest fixture they could play.

Possibly on par with Champions League Final ?

Hardly. For different reasons they're the two biggest teams in the world right now (one via revenue, the other in trophies) and they're effectively title deciders in such a league. The football Barcelona showcased was also something special and though they're not unbeatable, they played better than any team in recent memory.

La Liga itself is overrated, the El Classico not-so-much.

What Madrid needs is not Star Player or Great Coach..is the time for the player to gel and understand each other..they should know rome was not build in one days...the barcelona team..all players have play together more than 3 years..and look at Madrid team...not more than 2 years..especially defends...hope that Man.city saw this game..and learn not just spending..u need to spend more wisely...

Hardly. For different reasons they're the two biggest teams in the world right now (one via revenue, the other in trophies) and they're effectively title deciders in such a league. The football Barcelona showcased was also something special and though they're not unbeatable, they played better than any team in recent memory.

La Liga itself is overrated, the El Classico not-so-much.

This.

(Highlighted) Hercules beat Barca 2-0 earlier on in the year. XD

Last edited:
The El Clasico has been running for over 100 years, and every time there has always been something special. The emergence of Real Madrid financially as a powerhouse in the transfer market may put off some, but all in all, both teams put on spectacular performances with their best players every single time they walk onto the pitch.

So no, it's not overrated, it's what the name suggests ; "The Classic" derby.

Pep Guardiola is unbeaten as player and now as coach when playing against Real Madrid. This shows that Barcelona have the grip over Madrid for a while now.

Definatly over-rated, they are the best 2 teams in the league and will always be and so they suld be with the tv revinue they both get. Its unfair on all the other sides in the league and as some of them have/had major debts i.e Valencia and Mallorca come to mind yet the 2 teams who are already financialy wealthy get the bigger chunk of money every season.

I don't see how the two competitors being the two biggest clubs in the league devalues it as a derby? I'd say it gives it more edge. Is the Old Firm derby a worse derby because of their status? Not a bit of it.

I agree with red.

La Liga is overrated, El Classico is not.

I don't see how the two competitors being the two biggest clubs in the league devalues it as a derby? I'd say it gives it more edge. Is the Old Firm derby a worse derby because of their status? Not a bit of it.

No but for me it just makes me lose that bit of intrest that the league is totally dominated by 2 teams and 2 teams only.

Real Madrid have always been overpowered by Barcelona, domestic or European. it was Barcelona's style of play who won the world cup for them not real madrid. i am a real madrid fan but barcelona has far more superior. And El Clasico has been a easy scoring match for barca in recent times.