Is FM2015 worth it?

• Thread starter Thread starter DannyT2k
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44
  • Views Views 5K

DannyT2k

Reaction score
OK, I'm still playing FM10, because in my opinion the game is perfection personified, but now I'm the best manager that ever lived - according to the Hall of Fame - I need a new challenge. However, from buying previous games I know how the makers have a tendency to bring out duff versions, only to have to patch it later. So since there is now a patch for FM15, I am considering buying FM for the first time in 5 years.

In my opinion the graphics look worse than FM10, but hey ho. In terms of gameplay though, would you guys recommend it? I see a lot of ******** and complaining about the AI etc., but I saw this with FM10 too, and eventually realised that it was something I was doing wrong rather than the AI being screwed.

So I'm really looking for an answer from seriously addicted players - because the more experience you have the better you know if the game lives up to previous ones. Is FM15 too easy? Too hard? Does the AI make it unplayable - stupid goals/bad defending, no matter what you do? I'll base my decision to buy on your comments.

Loads more to the game now than FM10 but it's really up to you. I've played them all since back in Championship Manager days and despite alot of complaints I still think this is the best one. Loads more to the tactics, player interaction, coaching badges etc.

Very worth it IMO.

I think there's a lot of fantastic things about this game, but putting 40+ shots past Real Madrid/Barcelona or similar is a little frustrating/unrealistic

I think there's a lot of fantastic things about this game, but putting 40+ shots past Real Madrid/Barcelona or similar is a little frustrating/unrealistic

What level are you at? Are you cheating? That wouldn't happen in my wildest dreams in FM10 even when I won 26 games in a row. It's that sort of nonsense that really puts me off.

If there's no realism in the gameplay, there's no way I'm going to put so much work into the game.

No, no cheating...it's a common criticism of fm15. I play as Athletic Bilbao and I'm a very experienced FM player (maybe 600-700 hours per game since CM 03/04) - Athletic are usually my long term save on each FM and I dabble with others as side projects. I've spent a long time within previous versions learning about how to create tactics so I'd like to think I know my stuff and I certainly don't look for exploits. When I'm in control of a top team I have a philosophy I like to stick to. 4-2-3-1 with a physically strong CF. Wide forwards who cut inside and can score, wing backs who overlap to create width, a midfield duo who are good tacklers, with one being a good passer, one being simply a holding player, and a disciplined central defensive pair. I'll give you a brief overview of my save.

Took me 3 seasons to win La Liga for the first time, bearing in mind only Basque players this was a bit quicker than in previous FM's for me with Athletic. Real/Barca usually provide a very stern challenge for the duration of the save. I then won La Liga, Champions League and Copa del Rey for the next 3 consecutive seasons. That included a season scoring 156 league goals and 67 champions league goals. In the Champions League final vs (still Pep's) Bayern I won 6-1 and had 47 shots on goal, 65% possession.

I was a bit confused by the whole thing as it was far too dominant and I didn't feel my players should be able to do this. The players I had were very good certainly, but not outrageous. I decided to download a scouting tool to look at how good my players were compared to some others - perhaps I'd just got lucky, or more likely, my players are just the perfect fit for the way I play. I know it's a very limited way to judge it and it doesn't tell the whole story, but my best player had a CA of 171, and I only had 4 other players with a CA of above 160. So I certainly had a very good team, but not exceptional. I figured, well perhaps they just fit perfectly into my system, I'll try something else. I won't go on about what I did next in the save, but over 5 seasons I went to a few clubs of different levels and had a bit of fun with that.

Then I noticed Athletic (with the same group of players I had), hadn't won a single trophy in 4 years despite consistent top 4 finishes in the league. They were scoring a normal amount of goals and finished the season with very good, but not exceptional points totals. I also noticed their finances were 'okay' (I'd left them 100 million in the black and a projected balance to keep rising). The job came up so I thought I'd jump back on board, 5 years on with an ageing squad and a new batch of young players who hadn't won anything for while, with only okay finances I thought it would be interesting to play the 'hero'.

They were 100 million in the red.

What on earth had gone on since I left is beyond me. It took me one season to reorganise the wage structure and secure the finances a bit and then it was business as usual.

Sorry a bit of a long story to illustrate my point but what I'm trying to say is:

1) If you like managing a big club, you might find fm15 boring because you can just steam roll through teams more easily than in previous versions, with extremely high goals/shots per game. Obviously a certain amount of that will be how effective your tactic is, but regardless...for me, no tactic should be able to put 40+ shots past the opposing team in a Champions League final. I'd love to see FM tweaked a bit so the higher end teams are bit more difficult.

2) Poor management from the AI. I found it amazing the club had within 5 years gone through such an enormous financial change, and without any exploits, I was able to generate so much more from the team than the AI manager could.

SI must have a near impossible job to create an intelligent AI, hopefully it will continue developing over the next few years. But certainly FM15 has it's downsides in this area in my experience.

A lot of people will simply say, well just play lower leagues...it's tough there. Yeah I agree it is more difficult in the lower leagues, and managing a big club in a big league is easy in comparison. However I don't want to manage in the lower leagues, I want to manage my favourite club and be challenged in the process.

Personally I found fm13/14 harder to maintain dominance, but perhaps I've just improved at the game and my view is a bit biased!

Sorry that ended up being a bit of a monster post!

Thanks very much, I enjoyed your post. My system, which I always use for FM, is fairly similar to yours. I play 4-3-2-1. The full backs attack, all three midfielders are strong and at least six foot with very high physical attributes, although the central one is more creative and attacking. Then I play with a target man and two inside forwards.

In 12 seasons with Arsenal I won 36 tropies, including 11 titles and 5 CLs - but this took years of perfection with other teams and games. There were a few thrashings handed out, but by and large my scorelines against Europe's biggest teams was relatively normal - I never had 47 shots on target, I doubt anywhere near half that. That sounds utterly ridiculous. That's a shot on goal every 30 seconds. For me that makes the game idiotic and pointless. In real life, even if you had the 11 best players in the world you wouldn't achieve those stats against a Conference Team. So for that reason I won't be buying the game.

I agree that SI have a job on their hands, but if FM10 had next-to-perfect AI, how can it go backwards? If the AI is spot on, don't mess with it. That's the single-most important aspect of the game, because if the AI is unrealistic, all the peripheral stuff is meaningless. Whereas if the AI is excellent, the architecture of the site can easily be upgraded.

I don't mean to be cynical, but it wouldn't surprise me if they deliberately nause up the AI. How can they test the game and not realise it's unrealistic? After all, if you make the perfect game you can't sell it as new every year? In my opinion, people need to wise up to how the makers operate. The game should not be an annual release, but every three years.

I might buy FM13/14 - I presume that is sold as FM14? The general consensus seems to be that is much more realistic than FM15.

Last edited:
I never had 47 shots on target, I doubt anywhere near half that. That sounds utterly ridiculous. That's a shot on goal every 30 seconds.

A shot on goal every 30 seconds would result in 180 shots. 47 shots would be closer to a shot every 2 minutes.

the AI are incredibely stupid in this game tbh. for e.g i bought this wonderkid for 675k and his stats are quite good tbh however it was his first season in the bpl with me ( i got promoted with plymouth). he scored a couple of goals nothing special, then come the summer monaco bid 50mil and his off. bare in mind his 17. the AI also always buy for the sake of buying e.g paying 10-15 mill for 3 leftback in one transfer window. seems a tad unrealistic this fm, for me fm 11 was near perfection.

A shot on goal every 30 seconds would result in 180 shots. 47 shots would be closer to a shot every 2 minutes.

Excuse my maths, although a shot every 2 minutes for 90 minutes is equally ridiculous.

Excuse my maths, although a shot every 2 minutes for 90 minutes is equally ridiculous.

"Equally" would mean it is on the exact same level of ridiculousness, which it obviously isn't. But I'll excuse your math again :)

City are averaging this IRL against West Brom....

Just saying

Yeah, they broke the record for the first time in 23 years - against a team that went down to 10-men after 2 minutes - point proved. Neither was it against Bayern Munich in the Champions League final.

FM10 was a bug fest from memory, but each to their own I suppose.

It certainly didn't have "next-to-perfect AI".

Next-to-perfect in terms of what came before it. There's little you can grumble about in that game in terms of realism - taking into consideration it's a computer game. All they need to do was enhance the graphics and peripherals, they should have hardly touched the gameplay - instead they're ruined it by all accounts.

Next-to-perfect in terms of what came before it. There's little you can grumble about in that game in terms of realism - taking into consideration it's a computer game. All they need to do was enhance the graphics and peripherals, they should have hardly touched the gameplay - instead they're ruined it by all accounts.
Judging by what? You opened a thread asking if FM15 was worth it and that you've only played FM10. How would you know then? Take it from someone who has thousands of hours per edition in the last few releases - the AI is better every year.

Judging by what? You opened a thread asking if FM15 was worth it and that you've only played FM10. How would you know then? Take it from someone who has thousands of hours per edition in the last few releases - the AI is better every year.

So why are so many people complaining about the stupid amount of shots to goal ratios? You reckon 47 shots in a Champions League Final is realistic? And from what I'm reading on the threads, that's happening all the time. That would be impossible on FM10, so how can the AI be better every year in terms of realism?

Back