Is it time for the SPL split to be binned?

Time for an end to the SPL split?

• Yes

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Erm,what is it?

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters

JP Woody

Reaction score
Rangers Cheif Executive Martin Bain today waded into the SPL fixtures row – and called for the controversial SPL split to be binned.

What do you guys think? Is it time for an end to the Split Yes or No?

I personally think its one of the most stupid idea's ever and should never have been brought in.

What is the split? :S
During the course of a season, which runs from August until May, each club plays the others at least three times, either once at home and twice away or vice-versa. After this first phase of matches, by which time all clubs will have played 33 games, the league splits into a 'top six' and a 'bottom six'. Each club then plays a further five matches against the other five teams in their own section. Points achieved during the first phase of 33 matches are carried forward to the second phase, but the teams will compete only within their own sections during the second phase. After the first phase has been completed, clubs cannot move out of their own section in the league, even if they achieve more or fewer points than a higher or lower ranked team, respectively.

That's pretty stupid.. So effectively the league ends after 33 games for Euro places etc.. I don't really care about Scottish football but it should be binned IMO

Just mean that the teams in the bottom half miss out on revenue which they would get from playing Celtic and Rangers, should be stopped though, ruins whole point of League season, 7th place got more points than 6th place last season.

It would benefit more teams to get rid of it, so yeah I think they should.

TBH i dont know,maybe one of our Scottish members can shed some light on it. I know when it was brought in it went down like a lead baloon within the game up there.

its so anoying :( because if its a close title race and it comes down to the last game of the season rangers are always away to a team that are on a high and rangers normally strugle to beat them:(

**** idea in the first place. Celtic and Rangers are a fixture most clubs would want because of the revenue to be made playing against them. Also it has happened a couple of times when the team in seventh has had higher ponits than the team in sixth place. The Scottish leagues need a overhaul to become more challenging.

What was the reason for introducing it?

It was introduced to avoid a 44 game league calendar, and apparently to make the league more exciting, as top teams play top for euro places, bottom team fighting to avoid relegation, etc.
To be frank, however it's crazy, Rangers this season have to play 3 games away from home consecutively as a result of it, and i'm convinced Celtic would have an opinion it, but for the fact they're already at war with the SFA.

There is also another league format on the table, which involves something like the top 8 teams in the SPL splitting to fight for, Euro places, but their points being reset, and the bottom four teams joining with the top four teams from the first division , and fighting for the chance to play in the SPL next year with their points also being reset.

The format mentioned above isn't a bad idea, certainly can't be worse than our current system, though i'm noot keen on it, as by doing this we would have the most complicated league set-up in Europe.

bin bin bin bin, its ***** & they always confuse it. I'm a Celtic fan and can admit, it's rubbish Rangers have 3 back to back away games? Hurry up and make the SPL at 20 club league.

maybe 20 clubs is a bit too much but we should definetly move to a 16 team league with 30 games in a season, that way if we want we can change the format of the Co-Op Cup or Scottish Cup to introduce more games if needed but 30 games a season for a country like Scotland which grinds to a hault at the first sign of snow seems like a good idea

Should be binned? Should never have been instigated. I have said it about 10000000 times that we need a 16-18 team set up where we play each other twice.

every year the teams who are hard done by will kick and scream about it. We played Rangers at Ibrox three times last year

I would love to see 7-10 of the lower league teams back in the top flight here, they are big enough clubs for it.

Nothing will be done about this though, never is.

Just mean that the teams in the bottom half miss out on revenue which they would get from playing Celtic and Rangers, should be stopped though, ruins whole point of League season, 7th place got more points than 6th place last season.

There was actually a scenario a few years back were Inverness(7th) had more points than Hibs(4th)

it isnt actually as simple as it sounds, we cant just say that we are going to let 4 more teams into our league, Sky Sports will never allow it so we will continue with the split until they decide to give us more money to bring in more teams or our deal with them expires

it isnt actually as simple as it sounds, we cant just say that we are going to let 4 more teams into our league, Sky Sports will never allow it so we will continue with the split until they decide to give us more money to bring in more teams or our deal with them expires

Sorry what? Why does Sky have anything to do with this?

Exactly what i was thinking its nothing to do with sky if the spl changes thats down to the Sfa i think ridiculous scottish football is a mockery enough without adding splits and whatever else where u finish in a league is where u finish whether its 5th or 1st

Last edited:
Sorry what? Why does Sky have anything to do with this?

Because of the TV deal is what he's on about i think, but i don't see how that affects us changing the league system. Enlighten us someone!!