Is there any point?

• Thread starter Thread starter Baldwin-87
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 59
  • Views Views 9K
my only real issues is none of strikers get goals on the reg I have to rotate them to get some success...

That is a HUGE problem. How can you have freaking Cissé scoring in 10 of 30 matches when he's the target and has superb finishing? Or Fred, who's atm Brazilian League top scorer IRL but got only 6 goals in 20 matches. So much excitement for this...

Iv got Joselu scored 7 in 13, Diaz 4 in 6, Patino 5 in 14, Rannella 4 in 11... (Im Cordoba)
They are all in and around the same level I play Joselu he scores 3 in 4 games then doesnt score for 3 matches so I throw in Patino scored 2 in first 2 games doesnt score for 4 games drop him play ranella same again scores 2 then stops play diaz scores in first games then doesnt score... Rise and repeat...
Im 26 games in I think top of the league largely because Iv stopped teams scoring and my MF provides goals...
MY top scorer is the right winger Pedro hes got 8 or 9 in 23 games... Between about 6 MFs Iv got 15-20 goals and my two main CBs have 5/6 between them...

I cant really complain things are going alright except for financial problems and my CFs frustrating me... Overall the return looks good on paper but its annoying when you watch it... Id say about 30% good performances from the strikers and 70% 6.3 and below performances except Patino he doesnt score many or assist but the team seems to find it easier to score when he plays...

I'm a fm/cm addict. have been since the turn of the century. I love the game... but this year its 'unrealisticly' hard. I have tried everything i can to change the fortunes of my teams, different tactics,formations,training etc but to no avail. I have clocked up over 50 hours on the game trying to start a good file. but nothing. I play an attacking 4231 which i perfected on fm12, i used to create chance after chance whilst keeping a proud defensive record at the same time. but on this yrs version i struggle to create anything and my defence is laughable. as is my gk. After a few attempts with average clubs i started a file with Arsenal. You cant fail with Arsenal... or so i thought. P-11 W-2 D-2 L-7. Its unrealistic. Im so frustrated but glad its not just me suffering. I like the idea of making it more challenging but this is a joke and theres no way around it. When both southampton and wigan come to the Emirates and create 20 chances and win 3-0 you know somthings up. my FM brain is saying 'be patient' but what does he know, he cant win with ARSENAL! im heading back to fm12!! fini

Vernon Anita and Santon end up as total beasts. I'm in season 4 and both are in the running for Player of the Year.

I'm a fm/cm addict. have been since the turn of the century. I love the game... but this year its 'unrealisticly' hard. I have tried everything i can to change the fortunes of my teams, different tactics,formations,training etc but to no avail. I have clocked up over 50 hours on the game trying to start a good file. but nothing. I play an attacking 4231 which i perfected on fm12, i used to create chance after chance whilst keeping a proud defensive record at the same time. but on this yrs version i struggle to create anything and my defence is laughable. as is my gk. After a few attempts with average clubs i started a file with Arsenal. You cant fail with Arsenal... or so i thought. P-11 W-2 D-2 L-7. Its unrealistic. Im so frustrated but glad its not just me suffering. I like the idea of making it more challenging but this is a joke and theres no way around it. When both southampton and wigan come to the Emirates and create 20 chances and win 3-0 you know somthings up. my FM brain is saying 'be patient' but what does he know, he cant win with ARSENAL! im heading back to fm12!! fini

"you cant fail with Arsenal"

Therein lies your issue. You can and will fail, if your approach isnt up to scratch. Its late so I havent got time to expand on this point but i will show what i mean tomorrow.

I'll tell you how messed up it is in this year's version. My best two players thus far BY FAR on my Arsenal save are Djourou (7.4 avg) and Chamakh (7.5 avg). Szczesny and Cazorla are almost unplayable because they are so ineffective; whether it's Szczesny dropping every cross and giving easy tap ins or Cazorla taking a long shot every time he possesses the ball (I was playing him as a DLP DM for a while too) when he isn't needlessly turning it over.

The ME is basically unwatchable too in that every highlight is either opposition passing us off the pitch, Szcz booting the ball to nobody (with creativity set to 0 and distribution to quick throw, mind you), or the occasional half chance that usually involves a series of sideways passes and a wide/blocked long shot. It does honestly feel like no matter what instruction you put in, there's no feedback from the ME and even minnows have no problem creating CCC's. The only positive aspect I found is that Wilshere is the only player with decent touch and vision. It's also personally less appealing to watch, players look like they're on ice skates and creating chances look more like dumb luck than planning.

I'll probably be going back to FM12 for time being, at least I feel like I have some control.

not sure I feel its to hard match wise. seems ok to me. problem for me is the team talks is not working. no mather what you say they get angry, loose focus, loose moral. find it wierd that a club like sevilla(my first fast save so far) dont have any good coach, scouts etc. no head of youth. just seems wierd whit such a big club. also had a game where I couldnt substitute players and change tactics. game just seems to buggy for my taste. think I am going wait whit a "real" save until first patch

Vernon Anita and Santon end up as total beasts. I'm in season 4 and both are in the running for Player of the Year.

Out of interest, how do you get the best out of Anita, he is probably my only Newcastle player that struggles.

What i meant by 'you cant fail with Arsenal' is that any experienced FM player with an understanding of the key attributes to a winning formula should be succesfull with Arsenal. I assure you its nothing to do with my approach hense the thousands of complaints about the defending,gking,ME etc. FM13 has problems my friend. Although i am interested on what you deem as the correct approach...? i look forward to your comment.

"you cant fail with Arsenal"Therein lies your issue. You can and will fail, if your approach isnt up to scratch. Its late so I havent got time to expand on this point but i will show what i mean tomorrow.
What i meant by 'you cant fail with Arsenal' is that any experienced FM player with an understanding of the key attributes to a winning formula should be succesfull with Arsenal. I assure you its nothing to do with my approach hense the thousands of complaints about the defending,gking,ME etc. FM13 has problems my friend. Although i am interested on what you deem as the correct approach...? i look forward to your comment.

Actually no. Fm13 has issues, but it doesn't stop you being successful with Arsenal or any side, not by a long shot. Do not confuse Me bugs with AI logic. The bugs do not stop you having a successful game.

Experience doesnt come into it. This game isnt FM12 or any before it, the AI is much tougher than before. If your tactical is approach is too static, or your thinking is poorer than the AI, it will shred you.

Firsly you shouldnt be thinking about "the correct approach" there is no one way to do it.
Rather you sit down and think how you want to attack and creat space. Who is moving through the lines? who will attempt to mve the ball arrond, who are the strike runners creating space.

For example Arsenal. I would want Santi Cazorla as my main threat, sitting in the pocket and playing my side through. AP support, roaming, moves into channels, so he is laterally exploiting space and dragging is marker. Podolski is pure pace and excellent finishing ability, a lethal direct threat, so Inside forward attack. to make sure we still have space, I need to offset the lack of width, so I set Gibbs at full back to wing back attack, to overlap pod, while walcott is set as a winger attack, though i may manually tweak his setting. Arteta is the main supply, so dlp support, and therefore I would look to buy an aggressive mobile enforcer to play as ball winning mid/defend or central mid defend.

That is just a small piece of logic you should be using. And thats just looking to construct an approach, not even talking dealing with the opposition, man management, motivation, dealing with weather, integrating youthing into certain games, squad coherence and balance etc

Last edited:
If it's conceding goals, have a go with a 3-2-2-1-2 (three centre halves, 2 wing backs, 2CMs, 1 AM, 2 FWDs). Working wonders on my Pescara save, went 10 unbeaten at the start.

how did you set up team and player instructions screenies if you can please

Actually no. Fm13 has issues, but it doesnt stop being successful with Arsenal or any side, not by a long shot. Do not confuse Me bugs with AI logic. The bugs do not stop you having a successful game.

Experience doesnt come into it. This game isnt FM12 or any before it, the AI is much tougher than before. If your tactical is approach is too static, or your thinking is poorer than the AI, it will shred you.

Firsly you shouldnt be thinking about "the correct approach" there is no one way to do it.
Rather you sit down and think how you want to attack and creat space. Who is moving through the lines? who will attempt to mve the ball arrond, who are the strike runners creating space.

For example Arsenal. I would want Santi Cazorla as my main threat, sitting in the pocket and playing my side through. AP support, roaming, moves into channels, so he is laterally exploiting space and dragging is marker. Podolski is pure pace and excellent finishing ability, a lethal direct threat, so Inside forward attack. to make sure we still have space, I need to offset the lack of width, so I set gibbs at full back to wing back attack, to overlap pod, while walcott is set as a winger attack, though i may manually tweak his setting. Arteta is the mainy supply, do dlp support, and therefor I would look to buy an aggressive move enforcer to play as ball winning mid/defend or central mid defend.

That is just a small piece of logic you should be using. And thats just looking to construct an appriach, not even talking dealing with the opposition, man management, motivation, dealing with weather, integrating youthing into certain games, squad coherence and balance etc

game leaves a bad taste in my mouth atm.

- full backs/wingers still just run the ball into the net while defenders just run along side him and the GK has no clue whatsoever
- defenders dwelling on the ball for abnormal amounts of time only to make the single worst pass they could make - which is to gift the ball straight to the opposition which usually leads to a goal
- player morale is such a headache to fix. ended up simming half a season to let the game take care of it because i couldn't be bothered wasting my time playing the guessing game that is team talks.
eg. your team comes into a game with okay/poor morale and you somehow manage a win - tell them they played well to try raise their confidence a bit: half your team switches off and the other half doesnt really give a ****. what the ****.

Actually no. Fm13 has issues, but it doesn't stop you being successful with Arsenal or any side, not by a long shot. Do not confuse Me bugs with AI logic. The bugs do not stop you having a successful game.

For example Arsenal. I would want Santi Cazorla as my main threat, sitting in the pocket and playing my side through. AP support, roaming, moves into channels, so he is laterally exploiting space and dragging is marker. Podolski is pure pace and excellent finishing ability, a lethal direct threat, so Inside forward attack. to make sure we still have space, I need to offset the lack of width, so I set Gibbs at full back to wing back attack, to overlap pod, while walcott is set as a winger attack, though i may manually tweak his setting. Arteta is the main supply, so dlp support, and therefore I would look to buy an aggressive mobile enforcer to play as ball winning mid/defend or central mid defend.

That is just a small piece of logic you should be using. And thats just looking to construct an approach, not even talking dealing with the opposition, man management, motivation, dealing with weather, integrating youthing into certain games, squad coherence and balance etc

its all good using real life/some stats logic and transferring it into the game, but what about when that fails?

do you just go back to FM logic which is so different to real football? i dunno if you are a developer of the game or just a mod (green name), but you defend the game so much.

Ive never posted on fm forums before in the 12 years ive played manager (had to join the discussion on this awful edition), but you do help a lot of people out(including me) and i appreciate that, but why defend and try to prove us all wrong when we moan about that game being flawed.

running out of options on the game tbf

its all good using real life/some stats logic and transferring it into the game, but what about when that fails?

do you just go back to FM logic which is so different to real football? i dunno if you are a developer of the game or just a mod (green name), but you defend the game so much.

Ive never posted on fm forums before in the 12 years ive played manager (had to join the discussion on this awful edition), but you do help a lot of people out(including me) and i appreciate that, but why defend and try to prove us all wrong when we moan about that game being flawed.

running out of options on the game tbf

Mikes not the only one, me and a lot of others try to help people out too because honestly the ME alone isn't the issue with why people fail. Problem is whenever you try to offer advise to someone half the time they throw it in your face and get hostile.

On the "FM logic" that was FM12 and before the new ME is a lot more realistic which is the main reason I feel people are having issues, they're used to FM12 and how things worked in that ME. Most people seem to throw out a tactic drop all their players into it and demand it works and if they don't win their next 12 games in a row the entire thing is a disaster.

Mikes not the only one, me and a lot of others try to help people out too because honestly the ME alone isn't the issue with why people fail. Problem is whenever you try to offer advise to someone half the time they throw it in your face and get hostile.

On the "FM logic" that was FM12 and before the new ME is a lot more realistic which is the main reason I feel people are having issues, they're used to FM12 and how things worked in that ME. Most people seem to throw out a tactic drop all their players into it and demand it works and if they don't win their next 12 games in a row the entire thing is a disaster.

ive just started posting on here in the last few days, i dont know any names. just i see a lot of mike because his name stands out with the green. but yeah im sure lots of others do help out.

lol yeah youre right, now i know the ME is messed up i do throw my dummy a little earlier than usual but i have a right as it is so bad. just hope they fix it soon.

i love the new managers but nothing beats 01/02, now they have so much to sort out and fix we are left with a half finished game which they need to update all year (and this is every release not just this year)

I seeing all these comments on how bad the game is, but i don't understand them at all, i found it to be excellent fun to play so far, second season came second after man city but nearly won it, but for a couple of games i let slip, won the captial one cup, got into semi final of FA cup lost to spurs, got to semi final of Champions League, but not disappointed as getting better and understanding of how it all works improving more each time. Soon i'll be back to my usual game of winning it all again just takes a bit of know how and effort as in real life management.

ENDEVOUR AND PERSIVERE are my teams mantra lol.

Last edited:
I have NEVER got fired in my long FM-TCM-FIFAmanager-CM career, EVER.

Now i'm about to, for the first time... can't wait for patches

Back