Is there any point?

• Thread starter Thread starter Baldwin-87
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 59
  • Views Views 9K
I completely agree with you in every aspect of your last post. but you would be naive to think you are the only person who knows ins and outs of the game. Im more than aware of the detailed preparation required for each tactic, player, fixture etc and you are almost describing my tactics apart from a few details. i like to play two defensive dlp's behind cazorla (ap) for more creativity? They are disciplined but both move up the pitch with the tweaked amount of creative freedom. Arsenal never really have a ball winner playing? I do like the fact you need to spend more time on each fixture than in fm12 and i am starting to have a bit more success when i spend more time on the tactics, opposition etc. But what can you do when its a warm day with full house at the Emirates with a perfect pitch prime for the Arsenal attacking possession football, playing against an weak wigan side and Although i dominate possession and am creating more chances than them, they score 3 rediculously laughable goals? and end up winning 3-0, and Vermaelen taking an age to react to a through ball and waiting for the striker to run past him first is AI logic? my tactics work fine but its like the defence dont react to anything? So to sum up im statistically outplaying the AI but still losing? AI logic or ME bugs it does NOT add up??

its all good using real life/some stats logic and transferring it into the game, but what about when that fails?

do you just go back to FM logic which is so different to real football? i dunno if you are a developer of the game or just a mod (green name), but you defend the game so much.

Ive never posted on fm forums before in the 12 years ive played manager (had to join the discussion on this awful edition), but you do help a lot of people out(including me) and i appreciate that, but why defend and try to prove us all wrong when we moan about that game being flawed.

running out of options on the game tbf

If you think what i'm saying is about defending the game, then you are missing the point completely with all due respect.

Ive never said there are not flaws in the game. There are, without doubt. But they definitely do not totally overshadow the game or make it unplayable. If that fails, then your execution approach itself is the flaw. We have the same ME. Regardless of bug (which effect everyone) if one person is getting shredded as Arsenal, and another is dominating, chances are the former is doing something wrong.

I dont get you mean by FM logic, Ive only ever approached the game using a coherent footballing system.

I completely agree with you in every aspect of your last post. but you would be naive to think you are the only person who knows ins and outs of the game. Im more than aware of the detailed preparation required for each tactic, player, fixture etc and you are almost describing my tactics apart from a few details. i like to play two defensive dlp's behind cazorla (ap) for more creativity? They are disciplined but both move up the pitch with the tweaked amount of creative freedom. Arsenal never really have a ball winner playing? I do like the fact you need to spend more time on each fixture than in fm12 and i am starting to have a bit more success when i spend more time on the tactics, opposition etc. But what can you do when its a warm day with full house at the Emirates with a perfect pitch prime for the Arsenal attacking possession football, playing against an weak wigan side and Although i dominate possession and am creating more chances than them, they score 3 rediculously laughable goals? and end up winning 3-0, and Vermaelen taking an age to react to a through ball and waiting for the striker to run past him first is AI logic? my tactics work fine but its like the defence dont react to anything? So to sum up im statistically outplaying the AI but still losing? AI logic or ME bugs it does NOT add up??

Again dont know where said im the only one.

Arsenal's ball winner is currently arteta (not the best thing for them right now) as a dlp defend.

If you are losing more often than not, then I'm not sure your approach is fine. Having said that, there are still ME bugs, but Me bugs will not leaving you hanging around in 15th etc.

Essentially do u have to be more dynamic in the game? I've not purchased the game yet, waiting on the bugs being sorted, nor have I played the demo. But the impression I get is that the days were u found a tactic that works for ur team with little change needed depending on who u were playing throughout the season is over?

Can I also note it's all fair and well making the game more difficult/realistic, but developers of the game must be careful they don't cross the line and make the game frustrating and deter fans from playing.

Essentially do u have to be more dynamic in the game? I've not purchased the game yet, waiting on the bugs being sorted, nor have I played the demo. But the impression I get is that the days were u found a tactic that works for ur team with little change needed depending on who u were playing throughout the season is over?

Can I also note it's all fair and well making the game more difficult/realistic, but developers of the game must be careful they don't cross the line and make the game frustrating and deter fans from playing.
Those days are somewhat over. Yes you have to be more dynamic. If you are in no rush to buy the game, i'd hold off till about the end of the month. Should be another patch before then

The fact my keeper insists on booting it out to nobody rather than the short pass I tell him to bug me rotten

Those days are somewhat over. Yes you have to be more dynamic. If you are in no rush to buy the game, i'd hold off till about the end of the month. Should be another patch before then

Yeah I think I'll do that, hopefully there will be a patch out ASAP, really want to play the game, but don't want to be disappointed and be disillusioned when things go wrong that it was the bugs as apposed to my bad tactics lol

The fact my keeper insists on booting it out to nobody rather than the short pass I tell him to bug me rotten

Yup still an issue there. they thought they had fixed it, keeping sending them pkms.

This has been an annoying issue since fm12, not easy to fix

Yeah I think I'll do that, hopefully there will be a patch out ASAP, really want to play the game, but don't want to be disappointed and be disillusioned when things go wrong that it was the bugs as apposed to my bad tactics lol

the game is in good shape now, but you can tell that one more patch would make a significant difference.

If you think what i'm saying is about defending the game, then you are missing the point completely with all due respect.

Ive never said there are not flaws in the game. There are, without doubt. But they definitely do not totally overshadow the game or make it unplayable. If that fails, then your execution approach itself is the flaw. We have the same ME. Regardless of bug (which effect everyone) if one person is getting shredded as Arsenal, and another is dominating, chances are the former is doing something wrong.

I dont get you mean by FM logic, Ive only ever approached the game using a coherent footballing system.

maybe i did, just it seemed like you were.

tbh the game is somewhat unplayable at times due to absolute rubbish that occurs like keepers doing silly things (the list is endless). enough moaning now anyway im just gonna persevere and try to carry on.

Getting relegated for the first time, yay! All tactics don't work (each one given at least 5 games) and my squad is solid for the championship but they all perform like imbeciles.

And there it is SACKED! For the first time in my fm career :(

Im NUFC, 3games to go v Wigan,Norwich and Southampton. If I win them I win the league. Ba and Ben arfa both with 16 goals, cisse only 5 or so. Got knocked out of UEFA cup in 2nd knockout round, league cup 3rd round and fa cup 3rd round. Other then that its been a breeze, didnt buy any new starting 11 players just a few squad players. Lee wallace, nathan redmond, owen hargreaves 6month deal and rodwell for last 6months of season on loan. One player who was a great transfer was Dzagoev from CSKA highly recommend got him on a 6month loan absolutely class.

13 games in with AC Milan & 11th in the table, the game is far too hard for my liking, way OTT with the difficulty, cannot get any of my strikers to score at all, Pato one goal in 14 appearences, i had him score 40 or so in FM12.

I hope they patch it asap or money wasted.

Hi there, first post, i have been reading the posts for FM13 since a couple of months and i was actively playing FM12 up until the 2nd of November.

I started unemployed and got hired by a second league Portuguese team; season expectations top half of the table.

First friendly against the reserves lost for 3-0, all goals scored by the same winger from the same spot (corner of the 18 yard box), i though i had Messi in the reserves but after checking his attributes he was obviously not good enough for the first team, interesting though, he has 17 in flair and 16 determination (Ruizinho its his name and the team Santa Clara).

During the next friendlies i noticed the defence issues that everyone is posting about and after experimenting i concluded that the CD's play better with duties of stopper/cover duo and the FB's are useless when in automatic duty.

After several matches and lying one before last in the table, surprisingly i have not yet been sacked, i have the support of the fans and the team, during all the matches i have been losing or drawing the assistant tells me my team is playing better and should be winning, i just can't seem to outscore the opponent. The end match team talk, when all the players rating is between 6.5 and 7.0 i tell them they were unlucky, against the assistant advice that they should have won the match but i am keeping moral high this way.

I can't manage to score or build chances consistently, i am playing with 2 wingers and 1 AF, the wingers can't manage to get past the opposition FB's, either outrun the ball or give up and pass it back to the CM's, then they stay idle in the corner of the 18 yard box while the CM's pass the ball around for it it feels like a looooooooooooong time (tiki-taka style) and when the ball finally reach them they are offside.

The only times i managed to to score was playing Attacking or Overload, Control and Counter don't seem to be that different and my team ends up by losing the ball stupidly and the opponents score, also can't keep or regain possession and the opponent manages to construct plays and score.

Player instructions don't seem to do anything, no matter what i change them to they don't play any different, or at least i don't notice anything different in their behaviour (i watch the game in extended and in the beginning i even watched full matches).

I have to say that i feel really stupid when i can't figure out what i am doing wrong or should be doing to get the team to at least outscore the opponent; i guess i need to take an real life manager course?!

Sorry for the long post and just to finish i want to mention the some things are exactly the same as the previous version, namely that your best players seem to get injured for half a season and the opponents team performance is allays the opposite of the betting of media odds, "face the impossible" means easy win for the player and "easy win" and opponents team of 10 Messi's

Thanks for reading :)

For me the game is broke the ME just isn't realistic.

On my current save i started well with a home and away 4-2-2-2 attacking formation with Bale and Silva playing out wide with Aguero and Tevez up top won all my pre season friendlies beat Chelsea 4-0 in the CS 3-1 at home in the PL narrowly edged Southampton at home then out of nowhere i lose 4-0 to Sunderland 4-1 to Swansea and draw 1-1 with Reading.

So i think ok I'll switch my tactic to something else so i try a 2-3-2-2-1 ok it looks weird it's bascially two CB's a DM and two wing backs it's not as gung ho as it seems i beat United 6-1 and win 5 or 6 games running Barcelona 2-1 in the CL Spurs 2-1 Arsenal 4-2 lose 3-2 to Liverpool at Anfield but it was a good game.

BOOM 0-0 with Everton again not that bad then i go 10 games only scoring once only winning once a few more 0-0 draws and the rest 1-0 losses my matches last under 60 secs as there's no highlights at all apart from the opposition scoring and me passing it around for 10 seconds before i lose the ball!!!

This is Manchester City scoring one goal in 10 games that's not right you'd struggle to try and be that bad at the game. Aguero got four against United then scored once in the next 12 games. Yes i change my match prep yes i scout the opposition.

It's happened in all my games so far you find a set of tactics that work for 5-7 games then they suddenly stop working for no reason. You go from top of the table to 4th-6th with no players avging over 7:00 it's a total joke. Again I've played CM/FM since the early 2000's and even Player Manager before that ;) The game is broke so far.

I can only think there's some scripting loop to play 10 games all ending 1-0 or 0-0 barely no highlights is a joke. Funny thing is instead of starting over again i went back to a previous save just before this 10 game losing streak and that game has gone back to normal. Great games great highlights and fun to watch and play.

I can deal with the little annoying bugs like Joe Hart kicking it to anyone but my players defenders not reacting at all when the ball is next to them i can deal with this but the whole ME seems to break at certain points and it can't recover.

I'm a Manchester City fan i know these games are not a challenge i set myself other challenges but they feel like a mid table team at points for no reason at all.

Last edited:
Hi guys

Really interesting stories/discussions

I'm playing as Chelsea in my first save on the full game. I like to play possession football whenever possible so I set about creating a control formation. I went for a 4-2-3-1 with FB in support roles, CBs (1 cover, 1 defend), 2 DMs (1 anchor man, 1 support DM), AMR (Adv Playmaker-attack), AML (Winger-attack), AMC (AM-support), ST (Poacher).

First few games I was getting frustrated because I was getting 55-65% possession but not getting a single CCC. What I decided to do was set all my midfielders and attackers barring ST and Anchor Man to through ball often and setting my wingers to cut inside. This has cut my possession by about 5% on average but now i'm getting 2 to 4 CCCs a game. 12 clean sheets in my first 15 games.

A big problem I have with this game that i had with the last one, is that strikers have goal droughts far to often. Mata, Hazard and Oscar are scoring for me from the midfield more than once every 3 games each and that is seeing me through, but my striker whether it's Torres, Strurridge or my new guy Ademilson miss at least 1 CCC and a couple of half chances or more a game. They won't score for 5 or 6 games and then score a hat trick. I'd rather some consistency.

That being said I was very happy with myself when Torres had only scored 1 goal in the first 10 games and I threatened to transfer list him if he didn't improve and he scored 6 goals in the next 4 games. When it works it's great management, when it doesn't work it's the game fault, that's want I say :-)

This game definitely requires you to go into more detail than previous iterations and do a lot more tinkering but if you work at it and play to your team's strengths you can do well.

By the way, you shouldn't be getting annoyed if you can't win the league with spurs in the first season like you could in previous games. You should be happy they made it hard to defy expectations, I am :-)

Back