Isle of Wight - 'Fountain of Youth' Challenge

• Thread starter Thread starter D93J
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 4K

D93J

Reaction score
Newport Isle of Wight FC
In this challenge, I plan to dominate England and Europe with Newport FC. However, I can only achieve this by using products of my youth development. No signings whatsoever. I may only ever sign a player if that player was previously sold by me, or greyed out players and are therefore still a product of my youth development.

Newport FC are based on the Isle of Wight, which in itself will be a challenge due to youth intake and how it works - taking the best players from within the local area, which isn't easy when you're on an island. However, gradually improving facilities and my youth recruitment system should steadily provide a self sufficient 'fountain of youth' all the way up the divisions.

The story will start from the Wessex League, in the nineth tier of Englisgh football. The aim is to get to the Premiership as soon as possible. Any leagues or cups on the way would be a bonus.

View attachment 307788

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newport_(IOW)_F.C.

View attachment 307789

View attachment 307790

View attachment 307791

View attachment 307792

Tactics & Style of Play
I always try to play an attacking, free flowing style of play and most of the time it works for me. I've yet to challenge myself with it at this level, but I'm hopeful as we have a decent squad to pull it off.

As you can see - we are lacking strikers.
This may be a major problem throughout the season, although, it isn't uncommon on Football Manager that at lower levels, the rest of your team does put in their fair share of goals too. This is what I am hoping for anyway.

Midfield looks good.
Solid enough with some good prospects already. As I said, I'll be relying on them for goals.

Defence isn't good, but it isn't bad either.
Again, a few decent young players but I can see them leaking goals.

Goalkeepers - not impressed.
I'll be praying for some good keepers in my first youth intake.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the squad. It'll be good enough for now anyway, I could never have expected anything better really. I hope for something better by the time we are promoted. If i could sign players I'd be after strikers and a goalkeeper, but it's all part of the challenge! I did sign a couple greyed out players already though, and they're pretty good for their age. They have gone straight into the first team.

View attachment 307793

View attachment 307794

I'll keep this as up to date and free flowing as possible with only the English leagues running.I do have work so it will be tough getting updates in through the week. Hope you all enjoy and any feedback is welcome.

Might want to change the yellow font mate, bit hard to read :)

Seems fine on my laptop... I'll change it anyway.

I have recently taken over at Newport and can say the 1st season for me was personally the toughest. At the moment I'm in league 2, only difference is I signed players until they turned semi pro as its difficult at that level to keep hold of the players due to the amateur status. Good luck tho and I look forward to seeing how well you get on

How do you compare to the rest of the league? Top, middle or bottom side?

I have recently taken over at Newport and can say the 1st season for me was personally the toughest. At the moment I'm in league 2, only difference is I signed players until they turned semi pro as its difficult at that level to keep hold of the players due to the amateur status. Good luck tho and I look forward to seeing how well you get on

It's been tough so far keeping a hold of players. Semi-pro status is needed ASAP.

How do you compare to the rest of the league? Top, middle or bottom side?

We were looking like a top side, now we're not looking so good... Poor results but so many injuries and a few players stolen on frees.

We were looking like a top side, now we're not looking so good... Poor results but so many injuries and a few players stolen on frees.

Ama games are such a pain to start with! Stick with it :)

Following with interest. I am from the Isle of Wight so would love to see a team from there get in the Prem! Can't imagine a 40,000+ stadium where St. George's Park is haha!

Pre-Season
This was both good and bad, but I'm never a big fan of pre-season. However, losing players left, right and centre was not fun.

View attachment 308529

Start of the League Campaign
This was murder. We were slaughtered and left dead bottom without a win after the first five games. Worrying signs, losing so many players and an injury crisis had me worried for the rest of the season.

View attachment 308530

First Win!
My first win as manager of Newport Isle of Wight and it was long overdue. A fantastic win. Would we go on a decent run of results to kick-start our season?

View attachment 308531

View attachment 308532

17 Games Into the Season...
A wonderful turn around. My worries are gone now and the squad I have finally pulled the kind of results i was expecting consistently. A win now isn't hard to come by. Also, a nice cup win to start off a run (hopefully). The only disappointment was two stupid losses, keeping us away from top spot.

View attachment 308533

Making A Profit
Turning a profit every month is nice. Hoping to improve my facilities at some point if this keeps up...

View attachment 308534

Never seen this before. Missing from a game after being seen leaving the pub in the early hours of the morning? Lucky he's only a reserve player.

View attachment 308535

The League Table
As it stands, we're two points behind with a game in hand and in great form. Promotion does look very likely this season.

View attachment 308536

Thats a cracking turnaround all things considered

I have a Whitley bay save http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...er-stories/113456-seahorses-superstardom.html and first year lost half my promotion winning team then i turned semi pro, after promotion from tier 9 of the league. thinking all my trouble were over but then getting ludicrous wage demands for mediocre players from my own team

I only have a core of players signed on contracts and the rest are still amateur three seasons and two promotions in.

Sitting pretty in the third season in the northern premier league.

Its all about perseverance as i have wont the league on the last game of the season twice, sign up the decent players for as long as you can and just keep scouring for new unsigned talent

I made 250k profit from a cup run and make around 10k a month currently and i still cant get the board to update my youth facilities.

Every youth intake apart from the first has been pants but got to keep at it.

Will read with interest and good luck.

Looks like a brilliant turn around. Promotion is certainly on

Joma,

Good luck with your save mate, sounds like you've had a hard time.

Thankfully I've stopped losing players for some reason... Not sure why but its a relief. Unfortunately I can't sign players throughout this save, I'm only going to rely on my youth recruitment all the way to the premiership.

My board seem willing to grant me things but there doesn't seem to be the funding, hopefully they are co-operative with me by the look of things.

Hopefully semi-pro isn't far away and promotion is close anyway.

End of Season 2012/2013 Review
This turned out to be an amazing first season with Newport after a slow start. At some point, without me realising, we turned semi-pro. I hadn't noticed at all, and maybe should've due to the fact we stopped losing players with ease. A massive step that helps me keep hold of a decent squad for season 2013/2014.

View attachment 309379

Youth Intake
This was somewhat unimpressive, although no less than I expected...

View attachment 309380

Facilities & Youth Level Increase
This was a welcome boost and another massive step for the club

View attachment 309381

View attachment 309382

Can you believe the board? they want me to sign players instead of trying to bring through our own! Luckily they eventually agreed with me though.

View attachment 309383

League Title Won & Promotion Gained
With only one promotion spot being the title winners, it was a must. A great run all the way to the title.

View attachment 309384

View attachment 309385

View attachment 309386

View attachment 309387

First Cup Final - League Cup
A massive chance... Could we step up?

View attachment 309388

First trophy bagged!

View attachment 309389

View attachment 309390

View attachment 309391

Chance For a Double...

View attachment 309392

Easy! Done in style with a 6-0 thumping. The FA Vase is ours.

View attachment 309393

View attachment 309394

View attachment 309395

View attachment 309396

Stats For Season 2012/2013

View attachment 309397

Club Announce Profit
With such a successful year in both cups and the league, it's no wonder. Making a profit of £10k some months. Plenty of money kicking about for some more facility improvements I should think Mr Chairman!

View attachment 309398

Staff Signed For 2013/2014
The only signings I shall be making. Some good additions for now.

View attachment 309399

League Table - New Season 2013/2014
Looking forward to consecutive promotions into tier 7. I have a capable squad, as long as I can keep a hold of every player I should at least get a top half finish, according to my board of directors anyway...

View attachment 309400

Sorry to anyone looking in, this story will have to be binned as the save won't load anymore :(

Really frustrating after my Uerdingen story died because of my laptop resetting and losing everything, and now this.

I'll be starting a story with Rangers in the Conference league, something I'll enjoy doing as they're my team.

I'm sad to see this die as it was going so well.

Sorry to anyone looking in, this story will have to be binned as the save won't load anymore :(

Really frustrating after my Uerdingen story died because of my laptop resetting and losing everything, and now this.

I'll be starting a story with Rangers in the Conference league, something I'll enjoy doing as they're my team.

I'm sad to see this die as it was going so well.
That's a shame!, I was looking forward to you achieving the same amount of success as MojoDex did with his save (Fountain of Youth - Guernsey)?. I'm doing alright with my save with Runcorn Linnets, now in my four season. I've managed to win the North West Counties Premier Division, Northern Premier League First Division North & Northern Premier League Premier Division league titles, plus FA Vase, West Riding Senior Cup, North West Counties Challenge Cup & Northern League Challenge Cup. Not bad 7 trophies in three seasons, but the trouble is the club turn semi-pro in second season, finances still low, can't afford semi-pro wages for players or non-playing staff, most of them still on amateur contacts. I've managed to build a little finance up by playing friendlies against higher reputation clubs. Youth setup not bad but still not producing many decent players, also I'm running a risk of my players & non-playing staff moving on free transfers because of amateur contacts.

Last edited:
Back