Jose Mourinho is so overrated

Which of the following is not one of the top 3 managers in the world today?

• Total voters

curtis290

Reaction score
I know I'm going to fan some flames with this and I know that if RM wins tonight everyone will tell me how wrong I am, but I am getting sick of all of the praise this man receives. I have heard time and time again statements like "He is the best manager in the game" and "He is the best manager of all time." The more conservative praise is generally that once he has retired he will be viewed as the best of all time. Don't get me wrong, he is a very good manager, one of the best, but to even compare him to SAF yet, let alone call him the best manager of all time, is ludicrous.

Let's look at his record. True, he won at Porto and Benfica. But the Portuguese league is probably the most unbalanced league in the world other than the SPL. In the past decade, those are the only two teams with a shot at winning the title. He did win the Champions League in '04. This was his best achievement and a truly remarkable one. However, that was a very strange year in the Champions League (I mean, Monaco made the final) and he did have a lot of luck. Their group was an easy one if I remember correctly and he got lucky against an out-of-form, injured ManU in the knockout rounds, and he didn't have to face the Invincibles. He also had the easiest final opponent the in history of the competition. And let's not also forget that Porto is an extremely well-run club with good players who has played well in the Champions League since he left. It's not as if Mourinho was on the pitch.

Other than that his record has been good but taking into context where he has been, it's not super special. He came into a Chelsea team that was on the brink of being great. He had unlimited funds and basically created a fantasy football team. ManU and Arsenal were both in transition and he took a couple Prem titles. He couldn't take Chelsea to a Champions League final, getting knocked out in the first round once I believe and the other two times he was outwitted by Rafa Benitez. Then he lost a couple players, Chelsea was ****, and he left. Of all people, Avram Grant took over mid-season and he led Chelsea to the best record in the league for the time period of his tenure and took them farther in the Champions League than Mourinho ever did. Would have won it, too, if it wasn't for some incredibly bad luck. Years later the same, aging squad still wins Chelsea trophies. During these years, I don't think it took a genius to manage Chelsea to success.

Then he moves to Inter, and in his first season received more than plenty of criticism. Inter during those two seasons was by far the best team in Italy and had a world class squad (especially the second season), their only problem was that under Mancini they couldn't get it done in the Champions League. They had virtually no competition in Italy, as AC Milan struggled heavily during both of those seasons, and Juve is still recovering from calciopoli. Roma isn't exactly loaded with talent either. In his first season, he was constantly criticized because Inter wasn't anything special domestically and played exactly like they did under Mancini. Mourinho spent big on Quaresma, whom couldn't make any use out of. In the Champions League they were disappointing, getting knocked out in the first round and never really looking like they had a chance to advance. They won Serie A by default and couldn't win the cup.

Then Inter got very lucky with what was available in the transfer market. Real Madrid got rid of 3 great Dutchmen, and Inter was able to get Sneijder for relatively cheap. We all know how great of a player he is. Then, Eto'o and Barca had a disagreement over contracts so they had to get rid of him. They were able to swap Ibrahimovic, a very talented player who chokes in big games, for Eto'o, a proven winner. On top of that they got Diego Milito, a great finisher. Inter's squad last season was absolutely loaded with talent: definitely in the top 3 most talented teams in the world, and I think they were even more talented than the next most talented team, Barca, who had the treble hangover effect.

Inter goes out that season and plays like **** in Serie A. I watched them play many times, as I had Fox Soccer Channel, and was amazed at how consistently poor they were. Week in and week out they would play like **** and barely scrape out victories over lower-tier teams. They finally won the league on the last day, nothing special since they were so much more talented than the other teams in the league.

In the Champions League, they built Chelsea, who is a very good team but it's Mourinho's former team, and if anyone would know how to beat them it would be him. They did beat Barca, which is an achievement, but let's consider the circumstances. Inter stacks up very well against Barca, they are a defensively strong, physical team, and as well built as anyone (other than ManU) to beat them. Barca has to drive from Barcelona to Milan by bus because of the Icelandic volcano (by the second leg the ash had cleared), and they get beat pretty soundly (Inter had some help from the ref, too, if I remember correctly). On the next leg they park the bus and win it. In the final they got lucky and didn't have to play ManU. Instead they got to play Bayern, a much more offensive team. I bet if ManU were in the final Inter would have lost.

At the time Jose left, Inter had the oldest squad on the entire continent of Europe. There was one objective for the Mourinho project: win quickly and get out. There was no long-term investment in the squad, nothing done to bleed youngsters into the team. Inter will have to invest in their squad heavily in the future to replace many of the aging veterans. I knew they would suck this season, having the treble effect, and they had terrible luck with injuries under Benitez (and they weren't that deep of a team since winning the Champions League was considered much more important than having a well-built squad that would last), and their new manager has been proven to be unable to cut it at the highest level but has still got them playing OK in Serie A since he took over.

Mourinho moves to Real Madrid and I thought they'd win the league this year for sure. The galacticos had now had a full year to gel and some great new players were added. Ozil and Di Maria brought new dimensions to the attack, and an imposing CB (Carvalho), which was exactly what was needed, was brought in. Real Madrid this season is probably the most talented quad in the world. This is where Mourinho is at his best: dealing with high pressure situations and coaching squads full of big names. Not only does Real Madrid fail to seriously mount a title challenge, they are humiliated 5-0 by Barca, and they already cannot reach the point total they did last season. And I can't help but notice that a lot of this was due to Mourinho's ego.

There were two things seriously lacking with Real Madrid's squad this season. One was a replacement for Xabi Alonso when he wasn't there. This team is so much worse without him that it's not even funny. This was very apparent in RM's loss to Osasuna that I watched a couple months ago. Alonso was out with a virus (he was subbed on late in the game but lacked the energy to do much), and the team was completely unable to move the ball forward from the defense to the attackers. They were far up top as usual, completely isolated from the defenders and without the link that Xabi Alonso is. They couldn't do a good job of maintaining possession or moving the ball. Uncoincidentally, Xabi Alonso was missing in their recent loss to Sporting Gijon.

They also have been lacking a striker. They only had two pure strikers until Adebayor came, Benzema and Higuain. Higuain is obviously an amazing player, and I thought Mourinho could help mold Benzema into a great player as well since he obviously has talent. With Higuain out, that only left them with Benzema for the first part of the season. He clearly lacked confidence and was struggling with the pressure, and Mourinho's comments definitely didn't help. Rather than simply move Ronaldo up top and put one of his many wingers in his place (maybe Granero or Canales, who are rotting on the bench under Mourinho, even though the former did very well for R. Madrid last season), Mourinho whined until he got Adebayor.

In other words, Mourinho needed a deep-lying playmaker and a goal-scoring striker this season, and the latter should have been especially obvious considering that R. Madrid only had two pure strikers, one of whom had a poor season last year. The former also should have been obvious since RM has a bunch of good defensive midfielders and one good passing central midfielder. When Higuain couldn't play for months, this put Madrid in a very rough position. And luckily for RM, Xabi Alonso has played almost every game, but the few times he's been absent, they have been considerably worse and have dropped points (two of their three losses this season come to mind). And who did Mourinho decide to get rid of at the beginning of the year? Guti and Raul, a deep-lying playmaker and a goal-scoring striker. Some will say they were past their prime, and many on the internet thought this was a good idea. But as someone who watched Real Madrid play a lot last season, I will tell you that they were still extremely useful.

Raul salvaged points for them constantly last season with crucial goals, and he was a huge part of that title challenge. This season he is a big part of Schalke's amazing run in the Champions League. Though Guti hasn't played much this season since he's been hurt, he is still a great player. He was never a very pacey player, so it's not like he has lost all that much with age, and he was a consistent performer and crucial to Real Madrid's success last season. As a deep-lying playmaker who linked their defense and attackers (which was an issue last season when he or Alonso wasn't in the lineup) and is very creative (better at moving forward than Alonso), he was the perfect backup to XA. Of course he can't go 90 minutes week in and week out, but that wouldn't be necessary. They just needed him for when Xabi Alonso couldn't play, and he would have played that role very effectively, just like he did last season. Not only were these players tactically vital, they had both been at the club for decades and were very important leaders. Raul's work rate is as good as anyone's and he inspires the other players at the club to try harder. They undeniably would still be extremely important assets to this team if they were there this year.

Yet Mourinho's ego got rid of two players who could have swung the title balance in Real Madrid's favor this season. He did it because he wanted Real Madrid to be 'his team.' Guti and Raul are well established veterans who have seen coaches come and go, and rather than deal with their possible dissent if he made mistakes, he just got rid of them. That's what cost them the title and why they won't finish with as many points as last season. Not only is Mourinho's ego extremely annoying, it costs him success.

Not only that, Mourinho's teams always play the ugliest brand of football that exists, and the same is true for his Real Madrid team. Even though they are the biggest collection of superstars in the world, even though this team of galacticos was created for the purpose of winning with entertaining football (the platform on which Perez and Valdano were elected), Mourinho goes out in the next match against Barca and plays with incredibly negative tactics. It is true that they deserved their draw and that they were the better team, but they did this by sitting back in their own half most of the game, by maintaining only 20% possession, waiting for Barca to make a mistake and hitting them on the counter-attack. They did a **** good job and were the better team (although if you gave Barca that deserved Villa penalty, it may have been different), but in Valdano's words, it was "**** on a stick." The fans cheered because they didn't lose, but this certainly wasn't what they envisioned at the beginning of the Galacticos 2.0.

Real Madrid has an incredible amount of talent, especially their attacking players. If Pellgrini could go out and play offensively with a less-talented team that had just been put together and at least make the games interesting, why can't Mourinho coach his team to at least aspire to play like the first set of galacticos did? When he tried to it was 5-0. I think Mourinho only knows one style of play. He can have success with great teams when he plays defend-and-counter Mourinho ball, but ask him to play entertaining, offensive football and he can't do it.

Don't get me wrong, I think Mourinho is a great manager, but he's not among the best yet. He's only been in places where his success was more or less expected, he's only coached teams that were the most talented in their leagues. I think he's great with (negative) tactics, and he's a great motivator who can get the most out of a team of superstars with egos. He'd be the best fit in the world for ManCity, and they should do whatever it takes to get him. But he has plenty of flaws. He doesn't use young players and is only good for the club he's with in the short term. I don't think he could stay in one place for such a long time and build long-term success. He requires a big budget and to be able to buy a lot of his own players. And he always plays ugly, negative football. He hasn't proven yet he can provide a club with consistent, long-term success, or play offensively when the fans want it. And could he do what other managers do?

Could he do what Holloway has done this season at Blackpool, and do it by playing fairly offensive and attractive football? I know it's looking like they'll get relegated, but that was the expectation, and they've had some great performances this season.

Could he do what Sir Alex Ferguson has done? Could he have won the SPL with Aberdeen? Could he stay at one club for more than two decades and consistently bring them that many trophies? Could he plan for a club in the long-term like that? Could he constantly find new great youngsters and bring them through the system until they became great players? Could he win even when the team isn't the most talented in the league (I'm not saying ManU this season isn't the most talented team in the league, but I don't think they're exactly stacked with it this season, and look at how great they've been: I give the credit to SAF)?

Could he do what Wenger has done? I know most of you hate him and don't think he's a good manager, but his achievements at Arsenal are undeniable. Could Mourinho have built a club like Arsenal the way Wenger has? Taken them from a mediocre team to the best in the Prem? Could he have gone a whole season in the Prem without losing? More importantly, could he have done all of this and then sell all of his best players and start building the team in the long-run? Could he have made a profit on transfers for 8 consecutive years (2002-2009) and still kept his team competing in all competitions without ever falling out of the big 4? Could he have made a very large average annual profit (4.4 million pounds) for seven consective years (02-08) and done all of this? Under these fiscal circumstances, could he have had that much consistent success and played the most attractive football in the Prem? He hasn't shown me anything yet to prove that he would be able to.

Maybe Mourinho will prove in the future to be the best manager of all time, I'm not denying that possibility, I just think that people that think he's already there are giving him way too much credit.

You just wait till Madridista comes onto this thread and sees this, **** is going to hit the fan.

He didn't leave Chelsea because they were "****". There was a breakdown with his relationship with Roman. And I don't think he is overrated. But that's my opinion as a neutral

Let's look at his record. True, he won at Porto and Benfica. But the Portuguese league is probably the most unbalanced league in the world other than the SPL. In the past decade, those are the only two teams with a shot at winning the title. He did win the Champions League in '04. This was his best achievement and a truly remarkable one. However, that was a very strange year in the Champions League (I mean, Monaco made the final) and he did have a lot of luck. Their group was an easy one if I remember correctly and he got lucky against an out-of-form, injured ManU in the knockout rounds, and he didn't have to face the Invincibles. He also had the easiest final opponent the in history of the competition. And let's not also forget that Porto is an extremely well-run club with good players who has played well in the Champions League since he left. It's not as if Mourinho was on the pitch.

Meh. Your whoe post is TLDR, but I read the first bit about Porto and was curious. After some "research" I have to dispute this paragraph.

Mourinho took over at Porto in January 2002. In 1999-00 Sporting won the title, in 00-01 Boavista did and in the season he took over he led them to third (behind Sporting then Boavista, after playing 15 matches, winning 11 and losing 2) and then he won the title two years running.

You also skip over his UEFA cup victory the year previous to the Champions League one, and a run including Real Madrid, Man Utd, Lyon, Marseille and Deportivo and even Partizan (which isn't a good place to be playing away matches) is a pretty tough run (regardless of the Man Utd excuses)

Don't care about the rest but think you haven't really done him justice with regards to his achievements at Porto.

Last edited:
he deserves all the credit he has gotten mate.... look at Inter now, look at Porto now... (yes Porto won the Ligra Sagres) but nowhere in the ECL... Real Madrid have made it past the knockout phase for the 1st time in like 7 years (Semi finalists already)

you my friend are a hater... he will be the best manager in the world (he nearly is save for Sir Alex)

I did not really even read what you wrote to be honest :) as I think that you either want to start some banter or generally are not that clued up :)

I will go with the earlier statement :)

You didn't mention his 9 year unbeaten home run.

I support Madrid i dont think Mou is the right man for the job but he had a huge budget at Madrid he didnt at Porto or Inter the two teams he done best with he is not overrated i think Mou is better at teams with smaller budgets rather than teams with bags full of money

To call him the best ever or one of the best ever is overrating him. But you have completely underrated him.

I haven't seen you calling Barca as lucky as they have so many quality young players coming out of their academy.

What Jose achieved with Inter was remarkable. Their first European success in 45 years.

Jose did what his board wanted. Chelsea, Inter wanted instant success, he did that. At Madrid he has not achieved, but he will.

Would love to see how you rate Pep with the quality of the squad he has at his disposal.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

Then Inter got very lucky with what was available in the transfer market. Real Madrid got rid of 3 great Dutchmen, and Inter was able to get Sneijder for relatively cheap. We all know how great of a player he is. Then, Eto'o and Barca had a disagreement over contracts so they had to get rid of him. They were able to swap Ibrahimovic, a very talented player who chokes in big games, for Eto'o, a proven winner. On top of that they got Diego Milito, a great finisher. Inter's squad last season was absolutely loaded with talent: definitely in the top 3 most talented teams in the world, and I think they were even more talented than the next most talented team, Barca, who had the treble hangover effect

How can they be lucky? That is a master stoke. Not lucky..

he deserves all the credit he has gotten mate.... look at Inter now, look at Porto now... (yes Porto won the Ligra Sagres) but nowhere in the ECL... Real Madrid have made it past the knockout phase for the 1st time in like 7 years (Semi finalists already)

you my friend are a hater... he will be the best manager in the world (he nearly is save for Sir Alex)

I did not really even read what you wrote to be honest :) as I think that you either want to start some banter or generally are not that clued up :)

Although, I agree, the man is a great manager, the OP is a Barca fan, but he has made some ok points in the OP. Maybe in future before completely dismissing a rather well structured and thought out OP, you should have the decency to actually read it.

He is no where near the best manager ever, in my opinion, maybe in the future when he has actually had a career worthy of comparison to the likes of SAF, but I admit, what he has already achieved is a good starting point, I just believe he needs to go somewhere and stay there for a while, create a legacy much like SAF. Untill he has done something like that, he will still only be a 'great manager', not the 'greatest manager'.

I agree with some points, and some are just plain ridicolous.

The points I agree with are the fact he couldn't do what he's done without money, he won't stay at a club long term, and it doesn't really matter if he screws them financially & the football he plays is dire. Effective 90% of the time, but when it isn't effective, you question how good a manager he is, because he doesn't know how to change. The only place he can go to after Madrid is to Man City, as they're the only team with enough money for him.

Although, I agree, the man is a great manager, the OP is a Barca fan, but he has made some ok points in the OP. Maybe in future before completely dismissing a rather well structured and thought out OP, you should have the decency to actually read it.

He is no where near the best manager ever, in my opinion, maybe in the future when he has actually had a career worthy of comparison to the likes of SAF, but I admit, what he has already achieved is a good starting point, I just believe he needs to go somewhere and stay there for a while, create a legacy much like SAF. Untill he has done something like that, he will still only be a 'great manager', not the 'greatest manager'.

firstly I did read most of it, secondly refer to my point I made about starting banter seeing as though he is a Barca fan.... I never said he is the greatest manager, but in a few season he will be! as he is going to win the ECL this year (even though at the expense of United which I am fine with as he deserves it)

as soon as he has done this and SAF has taken over the Liverpool record with our 19th EPL title, Mourinho will be sitting in our nice little red chairs and wont leave United for at least a decade and will continue to do what he has done since he started his career, win!

He is not the best manager in the world or one of the best yet but he is still young for a manager and can still win many trophies in his time as manager maybe just as much as SAF or possibly even more. He is a fantastic manager and I would have him over any manager in the world at Chelsea FC.

The OP is spoken like a true jealous Barcelona Fan

It's a bit harsh to say he "requires a big budget to do well". What about Porto, then? Just because teams with big budgets have wanted him, does not mean in any way he requires a big budget to succeed, and he has proven that in his history as a manager.

Secondly, his youth policy (or lack of one) is a criticism of his style of management, not his ability. Teams should know what to expect when you hire Mourinho as a manager, if you want to build for the next 10 years, he's not your man. Doesn't take away from his managerial talent and ability though, he's a winner - and surely that's what success is judged by. If longevity makes a great manager, then why is Dario Gradi not considered one of the greats?

The point I'm really making, is that no, he is not SAF or Wenger. He is Mourinho. SAF and Wenger are brilliant at what they do, and so is Mourinho. But their styles are hugely contrasting. But that doesn't take anything away from their individual ability.
Could Mourinho do what Holloway has done at Blackpool? Maybe, who knows. But then lets flip it, could Wenger do what Mourinho has done? Achieve success in the short term? I know many fans who would like Arsene to be a Mourinho to bring in some trophies

So 2 Champions Leagues with different clubs, 2 Premier Leagues, Many Portguese Titles, Loads of Domestic Trophys, Serie A Title and 9 year unbeaten home record is over-rated?

I'd think not. <)

He didn't leave Chelsea because they were "****". There was a breakdown with his relationship with Roman. And I don't think he is overrated. But that's my opinion as a neutral

They were certainly struggling in the league, but maybe you're right, **** is a strong word. My point is that Avram Grant did better at Chelsea than Mourinho ever did, and I think that's saying something.

Meh. Your whoe post is TLDR, but I read the first bit about Porto and was curious. After some "research" I have to dispute this paragraph.

Mourinho took over at Porto in January 2002. In 1999-00 Sporting won the title, in 00-01 Boavista did and in the season he took over he led them to third (behind Sporting then Boavista, after playing 15 matches, winning 11 and losing 2) and then he won the title two years running.

You also skip over his UEFA cup victory the year previous to the Champions League one, and a run including Real Madrid, Man Utd, Lyon, Marseille and Deportivo and even Partizan (which isn't a good place to be playing away matches) is a pretty tough run (regardless of the Man Utd excuses)

Don't care about the rest but think you haven't really done him justice with regards to his achievements at Porto.

Maybe I haven't done him justice for his achievements at Porto, but look at how well Porto has done since Jose left...they usually win the title by a long shot (like this season). They're an extremely well-run club that is great at spotting out cheap talent and turning them into great players. I think their success had more to do with Jose than people give credit for. And I don't think you have to be a great manager to do well in Portugal...look at Quique Flores.

As for the UEFA Cup, Porto was much better than every team they played until the semi-final when they beat Lazio, who was in turmoil at the time. Then they beat Celtic in extra time. So I don't see that as a great achievement or anything, had they lost in any of the games before the semi-final it would have been considered an upset.

As for their group in the CL that year, it had R. Madrid, Marseille, and Partizan. It's not like Porto knocked out a giant to get out of their group, it was Marseille, and French teams historically do very poorly in the Champions League. Then they beat Lyon, who always choked in the Champions League (and Lyon didn't even do all that well in their group). Next was ManU, who had injury problems and was out of form and got surprised at OT...they thought they had the game won until Costinha scored a great goal in stoppage time. After that was Depor, who has choked before in the Champions League and they did once again. Porto was extremely lucky to get Deportivo instead of Milan...that quarterfinals Depor overturned like a 4 goal deficit or something ridiculous like that. That was the beginning of the end for Deportivo anyway, and after that season they haven't been good since. Then they go to the final and all they have to do is beat Monaco.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great achievement, there was some luck involved is all I'm saying.

As for your comment about Inter, I already addressed that in the OP. Inter is a very, very talented team but Mourinho left an aging squad with no depth. They were going to suck this year from the treble hangover, and they didn't have the depth to cope with the injury problems. Rafa messed up, and Leonardo, who is a terrible coach, has done well with Inter since then. More importantly, Inter didn't do anything in Serie A they weren't supposed to when Mourinho was there...they were by far the best team in Italy and played just like they did under Mancini. The only difference is the Champions League run. That's Mourinho's second greatest achievement, winning the CL with Inter, but as I said before, I think they had the most talented squad in the world, so it's not amazing or anything.

As for Real Madrid, since Zidane retired they haven't been as good and they're a bunch of chokers. This year they had Lyon again, who is struggling in France, and there was no way they'd make the same mistake. And as I said before, this Real Madrid team is the arguably the most talented team since the Galacticos 1.0. Failing to beat Lyon or Tottenham with 10 men would have been an utter failure.

I'll agree with you that I'm a hater at times but your statement that he will be better than SAF is exactly what ****** me off...you don't know that, and I don't think Mourinho's achievements compare to what SAF has done...prove he can build a great club over a long period of time.

You didn't mention his 9 year unbeaten home run.

Every team he coached during that 9 year unbeaten run was the best team in the league. In Porto's and Inter's case, they were the best team in the league by far. It's definitely an achievement, but it is an overrated stat. Ferguson usually loses at least once a year at home yet during those 9 years Ferguson has done a much better job than Mourinho, who goes from club to club buying a bunch of well-established players. Also, has Mourinho ever had an unbeaten season?

I support Madrid i dont think Mou is the right man for the job but he had a huge budget at Madrid he didnt at Porto or Inter the two teams he done best with he is not overrated i think Mou is better at teams with smaller budgets rather than teams with bags full of money

At Porto he was at one of the big 3 in Portugal. I bet his budget was better than Boavista's. At Inter he inherited a world class squad and then added Eto'o, Sneijder, Milito, etc. I don't think you can make the claim he's better at teams with smaller budgets rather than teams with bags full of money.

To call him the best ever or one of the best ever is overrating him. But you have completely underrated him.

That's all my point was. How did I underrate him? I think he's a great manager, but he's overrated because everyone thinks he's the best in the world. He's not to SAF or Wenger status yet. And could he do what Allardyce does at small clubs? What Holloway has done at Blackpool? What Hodgson did at Fulham? The big club managers get too much credit, my point is that managing at a small club or a managing a club on a budget is much different than managing at a club like Chelsea. And getting consistent success is much different than going to a club for two seasons, buying a bunch of well-established players, and then leaving.

I haven't seen you calling Barca as lucky as they have so many quality young players coming out of their academy.

I'm sure there's luck involved by La Masia is rated as one of the world's top youth academies. That has to do with the club being well-run. But what does this have to do with anything?

What Jose achieved with Inter was remarkable. Their first European success in 45 years.

With that squad? No way. It was the most talented team in the world probably, if not, most definitely top 3...in the early 00's Inter established themselves as a great team under Moratti's money. They just hadn't been able to do it in the Champions League because they kept choking. By the time Mourinho got there, they were a world class team, and then the new signings came in. I expected them to win the CL or get very close that year as most people did (even the people who criticized him a year earlier because he did nothing to improve on what Mancini had built).

Jose did what his board wanted. Chelsea, Inter wanted instant success, he did that. At Madrid he has not achieved, but he will.

OK, but with those teams anyone could have had success. Avram Grant did better at Chelsea than Mourinho ever did despite all of the turmoil. At Madrid, he has arguably the most talented team in the history of the sport (IMO not as good as the galacticos 1.0 but this team is amazing), and he lost the league because HE ****** up and got rid of Raul and Guti.

Would love to see how you rate Pep with the quality of the squad he has at his disposal.

It's hard to say. Pep is the perfect fit for Barca. Could anyone do what Pep is doing there right now? I don't think so. But could Pep do what other managers do at other clubs? I don't think so either. For example, a lot of people think Pep should go to ManU to succeed SAF. If that happens, it wouldn't surprise me if he disappointed you guys. He probably couldn't do what SAF does there. But let's remember that he's a very young manager (only 40 I think) and the jury is still out on him. But at least I'm not calling Pep the greatest manager of all time, which Mourinho is called all of the time.

How can they be lucky? That is a master stoke. Not lucky..

That had nothing to do with Mourinho. They got very lucky to have those players available in the transfer market and Moratti jumped on them. Good for them. A stroke of luck gave them one of the most talented teams of all time, and Inter won the CL with them. Woopty-do.

I agree with some points, and some are just plain ridicolous.

The points I agree with are the fact he couldn't do what he's done without money, he won't stay at a club long term, and it doesn't really matter if he screws them financially & the football he plays is dire. Effective 90% of the time, but when it isn't effective, you question how good a manager he is, because he doesn't know how to change. The only place he can go to after Madrid is to Man City, as they're the only team with enough money for him.

I'd agree with this, though I don't know where I've been ridiculous. As I've said plenty of times, Mourinho is a great manager, but he's great only for a certain situation: going to a team with a huge budget, winning a few trophies in the short term, playing boring football, and then leaving. That's not the only way to measure the success of a manager. How about what Allardyce does at small clubs? Could Mourinho do that? I doubt we'll ever know because Mourinho will only take jobs where he knows he's at the best team in the league with the biggest budget.

firstly I did read most of it, secondly refer to my point I made about starting banter seeing as though he is a Barca fan.... I never said he is the greatest manager, but in a few season he will be! as he is going to win the ECL this year (even though at the expense of United which I am fine with as he deserves it)

as soon as he has done this and SAF has taken over the Liverpool record with our 19th EPL title, Mourinho will be sitting in our nice little red chairs and wont leave United for at least a decade and will continue to do what he has done since he started his career, win!

There you go, you assume Mourinho will be the great manager for you guys but you don't know that. What probably would happen if Mourinho came to ManU is he'd spend a bunch of money on well-established, older players, win some titles with a foundation built by SAF, play ugly football, not develop any youngsters, leave you guys without a lot of depth, and then he would leave. All of the sudden you'd be in a lot of debt with a bunch of old guys, not enough depth, and not enough good young talent coming through the team. As I've said before, Mourinho hasn't proven he could build a club in the long-term like SAF and Wenger have, so I don't see why he is elevated to their status.

They were certainly struggling in the league, but maybe you're right, **** is a strong word. My point is that Avram Grant did better at Chelsea than Mourinho ever did, and I think that's saying something.

They wherent Struggling, it was 6 or 7 games in and they where 6 points off us, not a terrible start.

To Say he did better is extremely harsh, He bottles it at the final hundle and chelsea didnt look half as ruthless under Avram as they did Jose. Dont forget Avram has Jose Team.

The OP is spoken like a true jealous Barcelona Fan

Oh come on, I'm not a Barca fan, I'm a neutral who admires what they're doing and would like to see them do well. Just as I'd like to see Arsenal do well. But don't accuse me of being some kind of glory-hunter.

Anyway, Barca is the team this year that's setting records. Mourinho couldn't even do what Pellegrini did last year and this year's team is much better and has had more time to gel. Is Pellegrini better than Mourinho? If you look at what they've done for their respective clubs, I think they're on par with each other. But the media and the general public would call me crazy for such a statement...

It's a bit harsh to say he "requires a big budget to do well". What about Porto, then? Just because teams with big budgets have wanted him, does not mean in any way he requires a big budget to succeed, and he has proven that in his history as a manager.

Secondly, his youth policy (or lack of one) is a criticism of his style of management, not his ability. Teams should know what to expect when you hire Mourinho as a manager, if you want to build for the next 10 years, he's not your man. Doesn't take away from his managerial talent and ability though, he's a winner - and surely that's what success is judged by. If longevity makes a great manager, then why is Dario Gradi not considered one of the greats?

The point I'm really making, is that no, he is not SAF or Wenger. He is Mourinho. SAF and Wenger are brilliant at what they do, and so is Mourinho. But their styles are hugely contrasting. But that doesn't take anything away from their individual ability.
Could Mourinho do what Holloway has done at Blackpool? Maybe, who knows. But then lets flip it, could Wenger do what Mourinho has done? Achieve success in the short term? I know many fans who would like Arsene to be a Mourinho to bring in some trophies

Great post, better than the other ones.

Porto was one of the big clubs in Portugal, I'm sure its budget dwarfed most of his competitors.

I agree with most of the rest of your post and I'd like it if I had any likes. What I do disagree with though is about Wenger...when he made the Invincibles he proved he could build Arsenal in the short term, and I think he won the title right when he got there if I remember. If Wenger was employed by Inter and told to spend a bunch of money on well-established players and to win at all costs in the short term (not playing beautiful football), I think he could, his record at Monaco and first 8 years at Arsenal would suggest that. He'd never do that though because he's not that type of manager (and neither is SAF, who wouldn't jump from club to club because he loves ManU so much), and that's why I respect those two more than Mourinho. Wenger still has consistent success despite having a lot of hoops to jump through (tight finances, putting a good product on the field), which Mourinho didn't really have to do. Also, Wenger can't be a Mourinho to win trophies because that would involve hurting the club in the long-term. Arsene cares about Arsenal too much to do that, Mourinho doesn't give a **** about anyone other than himself.

But I agree with you 100% that certain managers are good at certain things. Mourinho is great at what he does, as is Holloway, as is SAF, as is Wenger. But why then does Mourinho get all of the credit? I swear that the popular perception is that Mourinho is (or will be) a better manager than SAF, and not until he's proven that he can build a club himself and make it successful in the long-term will I buy that argument. I'd say almost everyone thinks Mourinho is a better manager than Wenger, and for the reasons I've stated before, I think that's horseshit.

So 2 Champions Leagues with different clubs, 2 Premier Leagues, Many Portguese Titles, Loads of Domestic Trophys, Serie A Title and 9 year unbeaten home record is over-rated?

I'd think not. <)

Did you read any of what I've written?