Judas - A Story of Betrayal and Redemption

Reaction score
Judas - Introduction
I felt sick as I fastened my tie, I looked at myself in the mirror and couldnt help but feel disdain, dissapointment, disgust. For the tie I donned was stained a putrid yellow and read "OUFC". It wasnt how I pictured I would begin my managerial career. But it was the only way out. After retirement, I couldnt cope. The thrill of scoring goals, winning football matches could never be replaced by gambling and alchohol. I was left pennyless at the age of fourty, disgraced and forgotten. Forgotten by all except those whom used to idolise me, and by those whom hated me. My name is Tybalt Jacobs, former Swindon Town legend. Over 500 appearances and 200 goals. For what? For nothing.

I'm now better know as "Judas" - Oxford United manager. This is my tale of love, hatred and betrayal.

View attachment 222857View attachment 222856

........................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................

Hi all, this is my first story. So feedback and tips would be welcome! Although I am new to FM_Base I have been a reader for a long time and have always wanted to start a story, so i'm committed to thicking this out and making it work. I will be aiming to post diary updates such as the one above during key moments in the story. With in-season updates consisting mainly of monthly updates with a personal perspective, of course. Thanks for reading and please follow! :) (Second and larger update set to come tomorrow)

Last edited:
First Impressions

First Impressions (Conference Called)
There was outrage after my appointment was announced, I had seen the protests on Sky Sports News. The fans were not happy! Cries of “Jacobs out!” accompanied banners reading “Swindon scum” at the three sided Kassam Stadium. - I thought to myself “What I am I getting myself into?” But I had to think of the money, I couldn’t go back to living in squalor. I mean, a cosy hotel room in Oxford was better living than a down town bedsit in Swindon...

I was staying in a travel inn, it wasn’tthe classiest place I had ever stayed at in my life but at least it was warm and had a bed, albeit a hard one. Better than I had been used to in the past few months. After I had lost my money, everything else followed, my house, my wife and kids. It left me a broken man,in need of salvation.The job came out of nothing if I’m honest,I remember watching sky sports news in a local bookies when the news flashed up on a ticker at the bottom of the news “Wilder resigns from Oxford post”. I thought nothing of it to begin with, I had a slight chuckle and reminisced of better days. Scoring the winners past the “scum” as I knew them previously. The winner at the county ground in 97' was a particular highlight. How I longed for those days again... Weeks had past and Oxford still hadn't appointed a manager and I was still jobless, penniless and in need of saving. I had initially enjoyed life after football, I had the freedom of Swindon, I was sure I would live the easy life for years to come. I was wrong, I frittered cash away without a thought with what I would do with my career. This meant I never took coaching badges, never considered how life would be after all the money had gone. It's why I had never thought of applying for managerial jobs, I was far too inexperienced and besides I never thought I would need too work again. After a few years of living easy the reality began to hit me,I was forgotten not even Swindon fans would recognise my face. Like I said before I was “washed-up”.

As I previously mentioned the job had been vacant for a few weeks, with little mention of interviews or potential candidates. I thought it was a little strange, especially as Swindon were making big noises with the appointment of Paolo Di Canio. Their new “hero” I couldnt help but be bitter it used to be me. Perhaps spite was in fact the reason I applied for the Oxford job, I never really wanted it. I just applied, I was bitter and wanted to be loved again, I wanted to be involved in football again.

I never thought I had a chance of getting the job what with my affinity to Swindon and my lack of qualifications. So when I received a phone call around a week after my application from the chairman I was surprised to say the least. He invited me for an interview at 'Watford gap' service station. It wasn’t particularly formal, I guess he didn’t want the media to catch wind of the fact he could be potentially unveiling a Swindon legend as Oxford manager. It was all rather laid back, we drank a coffee and it lasted around 30 minutes, I basically told him about my footballing principles and how I thought a club should be run. I don’t know why, but after that day, after the interview I had an inkling I would be offered the job. I mean, why would he ask a Swindon legend to an interview if he didn’t want to take it further? Was he hoping it spark a catalyst for revival? Or was it a way to get back at Swindon?I don’t know what he was thinking, but not so much as a day later I once more received a phone call, this time with the promise of a job offer. I was not estatic, I saw it as a way out of the lifestyle I had been leading and way back into the only world I knew how to live in, the footballing world. I didnt hesitate to accept but I felt somewhat empty, was I in fact a Judas? Had I betrayed the club I love?

Amidst the protests and demonstrations that rang around the Kassam. my first press conference was taking place. I was a nervous wreck, I knew that I was now hated by both sets of fans and most likely by the media, I was to be thrown to lions as it were. I remember the slow walk into the media room. It was full of both national and local media, it seemed my appointment had cause quite a stir. Many don’t understand the magnitude of the“A419” derby, a lot of fans dismiss it a 'small' derby, I'd argue it's one of the most passionate in the nation. Both sets of fans hate each other with a vengeance, similar to the City/United derby in that Oxford seem to have a 'inferiority complex' with Swindon. And Swindon see them as a kind of 'annoying little brother' Anyway, as expected I was grilled by the media as I tookmy place alongside chairman Kelvin Thomas

.Journalist: “Mr Jacobs you sit here today as Oxford United manager is this a day of mixed emotions for you?"

Jacobs: “No, not at all. I amhere in a strictly proffesional manner, I wanted to get back involved in football and I am very pleased to have done so."

Journalist:“You have been plucked from relative obscurity after 8 years out ofthe game do you think your out of touch?”

Jacobs: “I have had some hard times in the past 8 years, but I feel football is the same as it was almost a decade ago... Footballers are people and people have needs and aspirations, I aim to give these footballers what they need to achieve their aspirations, I hope to be a catalyst for something good to happen at this football club”

Journalist: "Do you feel the anomosity from Oxford fans will hinder your ability to do your job effectively?"

Jacobs: “I aim to get them onside, andthe best way to do that is to win football matches, the best managers are strong in times of adversity. I hope to be one of the best managers, so therefore me, the players and the club need to be strong in the face of initial adversity."

Journalist: "Since your appointment Swindon fans have labelled you a “Judas”, how does that make you feel?"

Jacobs: “To be honest, it hurts. I played many games and scored many goals for the club, so for all that history to be thrown out of the window is disappointing. But I am a manager now, not a player and a new history has to be made”

That first press call was a difficult one, I had too lie just too calm things down. I couldn’t say what I really wanted in that conference as I had to be seen as a professional but they know and I know that at heart I am still Swindon through and through.View attachment 223115

Last edited:
Pre-Season
Pre-Season is a testing time for managers and players alike. Tactics must be instilled, players signed and fitness gained. Many would say it's paramount to a good season, get it wrong and you'll pay the price. Get it right and you could well be on the cusp of greatness, it really is that important.

Squad
Over the past few days I have been watching the squad train. I've liked what i've seen, the players are willing to work hard and are determined. As you would expect in the lower echelons of english football however, some of the players are limited in skill. Therefore i'll be looking to add a bit more quality and flair into this squad, and with a transfer budget of 35K I'll be having to rely on loans and free transfers to do so. To get my team playing the right way, I need the right players. Here's a few of the current squad who I think will be key as the season goes ahead;

Michael Duberry

View attachment 223205

Michael Duberry is a much travelled centre back with great experience. The former Chelsea man lacks pace, but makes up for it with a good mentality. Also Duberry has very, very strong heading and tackling attributes for this level. He should be an key part of the squad in the short term.

Peter Leven

View attachment 223207

Peter Leven is possibly the best player in the squad. Leven dropped a division last year from MK Dons to Oxford and so is of higher quality than the rest of my midfeilders and most of the squad. I'll be looking to Leven to help me control and dominate this games in the ways I want too this season.

James Constable

View attachment 223208

Constable is similar to me in that he is a Swindon fan playing for Oxford. I like his hustle-bustle style and although he dosent have the technical quality of many other strikers I am confident James will make a suitable target man and will get some goals this season. He'll be a good foil for a quicker, more agile striker I am looking to bring in.

Tactics
View attachment 223204
I am looking to keep my tactics for this season relatively simple, with the impetus on keeping the ball down on the ground and keeping the tempo high. This tactic requires lots of energy to press the opponents, win the ball back and quickly start an attack.
Sitting deep allows the back four to soak up pressure once the ball is lost, the midfield is backed with attacking players therefore the back four will need to be strong and disciplined to help rebuff any counter attacks.

Expecations

Having evaluated all current ongoings at the clubs. Setting my tactics, training regimes and transfer targets for the season I feel the club could reach the playoffs with an outside chance of reaching the top three. Of course things will be hard at first with all the anger and controversy but putting that aside this club is capable of good things in the season to come.

Last edited:
Zeki Fryers

View attachment 223331

Starlet Fryers joins U's on loan

Manchester United teenager Zeki Fryers has joined Oxford united on loan for the rest of the season. 18 year old Fryers pictured (below) becomes new boss Tybalt Jacobs for signing of the season. He hopes that he will add depth and competition to the U's backline.

"Zeki is kind of player we need at this football club. He is young, hungry and talented. It may take him a while to bed into the squad but once he does so I think he'll become a regular fixture in the side. He's got great pace and a good temperemant for such a young man."

Fryers seemed to pleased to have signed for the U's and was grateful to Jacobs for showing faith in him. "I'm delighted to get out on loan and get some games under my belt, I hope I can repay the faith the gaffer has shown in me. I just want to get going and play matches"

View attachment 223330

Pre-Season (Part Two)

Pre-Season is over and I felt it went well. We managed to pick up some good results and do our buisness relatively early. I feel we've set the foundations for a good season ahead! The players understand my philosophy and are working hard. There seems to be something about this club at the moment, a buzz. The fans might not believe it but I do and so do the players. I'm adamant this will be a good season for the club.

Transfers

As well as the well publicised signing of Zeki Fryers, I have managed to bring in several other players who I feel will serve the team well during the season. I was looking to bring in players with an extra technical quality and I believe i've done so. Sometimes I have had to look further than the UK's shores, but I believe our transfer dealings and efforts will not be wasted. Here's a rundown of our pre-season signings:

Kris Thackray

View attachment 223386

Thackray was brought in from Reggina, Italy. I was suprised to see a young englishman plying his trade abroad, but I think this experience has helped him as a player. He is a good all-round centre back and will provide competition for Michael Duberry and Jake Wright. Thackray was signed on a free transfer (£0.00)

Pablo Counago

View attachment 223388

Counago is a foreigner by nationality, but he has great experience of the football league. At 31 he is no spring chicken, but his intelligence on a football pitch makes up for his lack of pace. Pablo has great quality and will be pushing captain Constable and Oli Johnson for a starting berth. I was delighted to complete this coup on a free.

Zeki Fryers

View attachment 223389

The signing of young Zeki was well publicised by Sky Sports. This is because he is a fantastic talent, despite his current inexperience I feel Zeki will fit into the squad just fine and improve as the season goes by. Initially he may struggle with the competitive nature of the football league but I have no worries about this boy's ability.

Cameron Park

View attachment 223390

Cameron was my second loan signing of the season. I'm confident of his ability to shine, he's a young guy with great technique and a good attitude. Like Zeki it may take him a while to wise up to the nature of football league. But once settled Cameron will make a big impact on the team with natural ability, flair and trickery.

Jason Talbot

View attachment 223391

Jason is the one player I payed a fee for this summer, a modest sum of 22K. Jason is a player who i've admired for a while, from the days of gambling away my cash on scottish lower league football. He is very accomplished, good in the air, pacey with decent attacking impetus to his play. Decent enough at dribbling and crossing. At this moment in time I think that Talbot is the best left-back in the league, he and Zeki will compete for the the left sided berth. It was dissapointing to see Jason is out for the early weeks of the season, however.

That concludes the signings for the pre-season, I may choose to strenghten with more loan signings but I feel my newly formulated is strong enough to make the playoffs at minimum.

Squad

View attachment 223392

Above is a snapshot of the squad, I feel it's capable of the playoffs and a possible automatic spot. It hasn't the clout of some of the bigger squads in the league for example; Swindon, Gillingham ect. However with a bit of luck my high expectations wont or rather shouldnt be misplaced.

Results

View attachment 223378

We had a decent enough pre-season picking up good results against higher oppostion most notably the 0-0 draw with Aston Villa. The results that matter however are the league. It's a good indicator of where we're at in this moment though. It all bodes well for the opening month of August.

Last edited:
Opening Day

Pre-Match
I'm sure opening day of the season is always a nervy time for all managers. For both, experienced and young managers. Mine however is a baptism of fire. This opening day is my first, Burton away. Not the most marquee clash but a difficult one all the same, especially as the anomosity toward my appointment continued throughout the pre-season. I'm expecting a bad reception, but the fact we're away makes it easier for me and the team If we were at home I may have been more worried, but being away allows me and the side to concentrate on the game. Hopefully we'll kick off with a win and I can get the fans on side, it wont be easy though.

View attachment 223422

Post Match
I couldnt have asked for a better start! The lads came out to a few boo's but they rolled off like water from a duck's back! The lads were amazing and managed to adhere to my wishes. We passed the ball well and produced a classic away performance, soaking up pressure where needed and scoring three very clinical goals. The one dissapointment was the failure to keep a clean sheet, it was harsh on Zeki as he had a great game but i'm sure he'll learn from it and will grow stronger. A few more results like this and i'm sure we'll be challenging at the right end of the table with the fans very much on my side, the teams side and of the course the club.
I also found a nice article on the sky sports website about our opening day win, nice to have some positive coverage! I think i'll have an early night tonight and skip the football league show... :)

View attachment 223421

Wing wizard Potter weaves his magic in U's victory!

Alfie Potter put in a performance of the highest quality during Oxford's 3-1 victory away at Burton.
Potter set up one goal in this comfortable victory but his general play was deserving of a man of the match award.
The game started slowly with both sides pressing to try and create an opening but to no avail. Oxford found the breakthrough at 41 minutes. A hopeful ball over the top of the Burton backline fell to U's captain Constable who made no mistake planting the ball past the Burton keeper. Oxford extended their lead on 56 minutes, Burton defender Nathan Stanton heading the ball past his own keeper after an Alfie Potter cross threatened to find Constable at the back post.

Burton pulled one back on 72 minutes, with young-loanee Zeki Fryers scoring an unfortunate own goal. Burton striker Billy Kee hit a goalbound shot which bounced off of Fryers who was attempting to clear. It was a shame for the young left back who looked impressive on his footballing debut. Oxford continued to play their natural game however and found a third with the game coming to a close. Cameron Park placed the ball into the Burton goal after man of the match Alfie Potter's inch perfect cross found him at the penalty spot. That goal marked the end of an eventful game in which Oxford were rarely troubled. Swindon legend Tybalt Jacobs was clearly delighted at the final whistle celebrating in extravagant fashion, runnind down the line to celebrate with his players. A show of unity for Oxford who have faced their fair share of turmoil during the pre-season.

Final Score - Burton Albion 1 Oxford United 3

View attachment 223440

Last edited:
As it's my first story I dont really know how i'm doing... I've gathered inspiration from other stories, followed the tips ect but is there anything else you would like to see? It's hard to know what i'm doing right and what i'm doing wrong... help would be appreciated! cheers

very good story i like it so fr right some more

August

August has been a decent enough month for us. Picking up 4 wins from 6 games. Here's a rundown of the month;

Burton Albion vs Oxford United

View attachment 223468

A 3-1 victory was a good start to the season for us... I was pleased to see Constable score his first goal of the season and for Alfie Potter to put in a top draw performance and earn the MOTM award. A big boost for us as we need good performances from all round the park. MOTM: Alfie Potter

Cardiff City vs Oxford United

View attachment 223466

I wasnt so dissapointed with the result in the this game but rather the performance, we folded and let Cardiff run all over us. The back four were far from solid and it meant we went down to a dissapointing defeat. Potter's performance was one of few positives for us in this game he ran with purpose and attacking threat. MOTM: Alfie Potter

Oxford United vs Bradford City

View attachment 223465

A nice comfortable victory for us in this game, good to see goals chipping in from different areas with another midfielder on the score sheet. Positive to see Oli Johnson getting his first goals for the U's, we kept the ball well and even at 2-1 seemed comfortable. The performances of Oli Johnson and Peter Leven were particular highlights! MOTM: Oli Johnson

Oxford United vs Barnet

View attachment 223464

A nice comfortable victory in a game I expected us to win. Fantastic to see summer signing Pablo Counago get off the mark and help the club to another win with a fantastic 25 yard curling strike. The main man however was Oli Johnson. A constant thorn in the side of the Barnet back line with attacking dribbles and a good finish for his goal. MOTM: Oli Johnson

Cheltenham Town vs Oxford United

View attachment 223461

By far the most dissapointing result and performance of the season. We didn't deserve anything from the game and were well and truely beaten. Despite having a lot of possesion we did nothing with it and created very few chances. Hopefully we can learn from this performance and pick it up against teams similar to Cheltenham in the future. The only positive in the game was the hardwork of James Constable. MOTM: James Constable

Oxford United vs Bristol Rovers

View attachment 223462

The most pleasing performance of the season by far. Despite being down to 10 men the team battled hard and came away with a fantatic victory. It was most pleasing to see Zeki Fryers get a goal. The young left back has been impressive in the month of August and fully deserved his goal. Alfie Potter was also very impressive with his creativity and quality from wide areas once more. MOTM: Alfie Potter

View attachment 223463

Overall it was a very pleasing opening month for the boys leaving us in 2nd after the first month of the season. Hopefully the good form will continue and we can continue to create a positive atmosphere within the club. Player of the month is Alfie Potter after several fantastic displays from the wideman.

Last edited:
View attachment 223582

Di Canio labels Jacobs "Traitor"

With just under a week until Swindon's vital clash with fierce local rivals Oxford manager Paolo Di Canio has labelled Swindon legend & Oxford United manager Tybalt Jacobs a traitor.

"How can he do that to his football club?" The Italian said of Jacobs. "He is a disgrace. Football is like a religeon you can never, ever change the football club that is in your blood. Swindon is in his blood like Lazio is in mine. I am a West Ham fan but they are not in my blood, Lazio are in my blood. Swindon are in Jacobs' blood!"

Di canio spoke very little of the game ahead but rather preffered to bombard Jacobs' with abuse. Perhaps a sign to come of further mind games from the fiery Italian. "As far as I am concerned he is a traitor. You do not turn your back on your football club, and in this moment he is a traitor to Swindon." On the subject of the game Di Canio spoke very little of any gameplan but preffered to big up his sides quality. "Oxford are third and we are Second. We are better than them. By a 1000 miles we are better than them. We will beat them no problem"

Those words marked the end of a strange press conference from Di Canio (below) who clearly fancies his chances against bitter rivals Oxford. It may be a dangerous game to play from Di Canio, however his exuburance in the early season has led to Swindon being second in the table with 5 wins from 7 games.

View attachment 223583

View attachment 223585
Jacobs' hits back at Di Canio

U's manager has hit back at the slanderous comments made by Di Canio earlier today. This is what Jacobs had to say in response to the comments clearly made to incite him. "How dare he? He knows nothing of the history between the two clubs. He's a foreigner in the lower leagues of England and he feels he has the knowledge to talk about our rivalry? He knows nothing of it. I have played in 10's of games between the two clubs and understand the rivalry full. I'd say there's no-one else who know it better."

Jacobs went on to explain that although the comments had gotten to him he would remain proffesional and there was only one team he is rooting for come the 13th of September.
"The question of me being a 'traitor' or not is irrelevant anyway. I am a manager now. Not a player, not a fan, a manager. The only team that I want to win come Tuesday the 13th of September is Oxford United."

Jacobs then went on to talk about the threat of Swindon. "Obviously, coming from league one to league two they will have some players that are too good to be playing in this league. But so do we. We havent made any special plans for their players, we will let them adapt to us. I'm confident if we play how we can then we'll record a win and send our fans home happy. At the end of the day that's what it's all about."

U's skipper Peter Leven (below) is also confident of victory over rivals Swindon. "We dont really take much notice of what has been said in the press. We just want to go out and get a win for the fans, and more importantly to put some points on the board. I think we're as good as them, play well and we'll win the match."

View attachment 223588

Last edited:
Interesting idea for a story. As a Swindon fan, I'll be interested to see how you get on. Perhaps if you can bring some success to Oxford they might be able to afford a fourth stand for their ground... ;)

Interesting idea for a story. As a Swindon fan, I'll be interested to see how you get on. Perhaps if you can bring some success to Oxford they might be able to afford a fourth stand for their ground... ;)

Cheers! - haha i'll make sure to not have loads of success, we wouldnt want the balance of power to change now would we? I'll apply for the Swindon job if Paolo leaves dont worry ;)

Last edited:
SWINDON VS OXFORD
my hands were trembling as I went to wipe the sweat from my brow. I thought I could cope with the pressure. It may not seem like much to outsiders, but this days is the biggest of my career. The club that I cherish and love versus the club that gave me a way back, I didnt know what to think. I tried to play it cool in the press conference, say that I wouldn't pay attention to the pressure, that it didnt affect me. That I wanted Oxford to win, I was lying. I really didnt know what to think, I still dont. Perhaps a draw would be the best result? For the sake of my sanity. I mean, I can hear the voices already. "Judas, Judas, Judas" Ringing round the County Ground... The very fans I once lived to please would now be the once berating and booing me. The very club I grew up watching, would now be the club that hated me. What have I done? Have I sold my self out? Or am I just being dramatic? To be honest, I cant wait for this game to be over and done with...

View attachment 223630

Swindon vs Oxford - Preview

Both Swindon and Oxford have had strong starts to the season with the home team Swindon currently sitting in 2nd place and challnegers Oxford in third. Swindon made massive changes to their squad in the summer with the signature of no less than 22 players. Paolo Di Canio has stated his desire to start a "revolution" at the Wiltshire club and has so far gotten his wish. The board have backed his ambitious plans and Di Canio is preparing for an assault on the league two title with key players Matt Ritchie and Paul Caddis leading the charge.

Ritchie had this to say on the upcoming clash between the two clubs. "I think it's been about 10 years since we played them so it will be a massive occasion. The fans will be right up for it and so we will so hopefully we give them a day to remember." Skipper Caddis who has been in fine form for Swindon so far this season says the players are raring to go. "The boys have been buzzing in training this week, desperate to be in the team for tuesday. So I think we'll be fresh and sharp, we know we're better than anyone in this league on the day so it's all about producing on the night. Swindon will also be looking to the likes of Paul Benson and Simon Ferry to produce good displays.

DANGER MAN: Matt Ritchie

View attachment 223628

Winger Matt Ritchie will prove the most obvious threat to the U's backline in the upcoming derby clash. Although not blessed with great place Ritchie has good intelligence, paired with a ferocius long shot and a wicked delivery Ritchie can be a thorn in the side for any backline.

Oxford have had an equally as impressive start to the campaign as Swindon. Picking up 5 wins from their last 7 games. The U's currently sit third in the table and will be looking to extend their current points with a win over local rivals Swindon. There has been a well publicised row in the past week between Swindon gaffer Di Canio and Oxford manager Jacobs' however experienced defender Michael Duberry says Oxford players have been doing their best to avoid the circus. "We havent taken any notice to be honest, obviously it's a big game for both clubs, but it's just one game of 46. At the end of the day, after the glory or the shame it's another three points. As ever, we'll be going out to get the three points as we do every week." Oxford captain and striker James Constable has also been subject to abuse in recent weeks from Swindon fans, who claim that he is a 'Swindon fan'. "I dont take notice of the chants, i'm an Oxford player so therefore i'm an Oxford fan for as long as I play for them. We'll be going all out to give the fans something to shout for and personally i'm buzzing, to get some goals and silence the County Ground crowd.

DANGER MAN: JAMES CONSTABLE

View attachment 223629

Despite not having an all guns blazing start to the season Constable will be a massive threat to Swindon. The strong front man will be looking to grind down the Swindon back four, and his 'apparent' alliegance to Swindon will perhaps be extra incentive to go out and get the goals come Tuesday.

Line-Ups

View attachment 223627

There were a few suprises when the line-ups for the game were announced. Matt Ritchie is the most notable abcense. The exciting wideman being left out with Togolese winger Ahodipke being preffered. Oxford also made a suprising change with Spaniard Pablo Counago coming in for Captain James Constable. This may have been due to Constable's poor form in the early season games. Oxford will be hoping his Spanish replacement can make the desired impact and fire his team to victory. The two teams look evenly matched on paper but Swindon's home advantage will play a role.

PREDICTION: SWINDON TOWN 2 OXFORD UNITED 1

Last edited:
SWINDON TOWN 1 OXFORD UNITED 1
i'M pleased to have that over and done with to be honest. As expected I was met with 15,000 jeers and boo's. It hurt. I couldnt concentrate on the game for those first fifteen mintues, the abuse was relentless. Many other players and managers could brush it off, not me. I'm different to them, i'm not a mercenary manager without a care for the teams I once played for. I love that club with all my heart, but that love and respect is no longer mutual. That's what hurt the most. After the first half an hour or so, I managed to collect my thoughts. I remained proffesional and the focus was on getting the three points, that's what I told the boys before the game. It's just another three points. As a football match it wasnt particularly eventful, both goals were the only moments of note in a game which promised much for the fans, but delivered very little. I'm glad that was the way it panned out, a draw was a fair result and my concsiense is clear, for now.

View attachment 223907

Swindon Town 1 Oxford United 1 - Review

View attachment 223908

Swindon Town and Oxford United played out a relatively timid local derby, with a 1-1 draw. The game was subject to plenty of hype, being the first contest between the two sides in almost ten years. Paired with the fact newly appointed Oxford manager is Tybalt Jacobs, a Swindon legend. the game promised the be a fiery one, fille with action and controversy. However, the game failed to live up to expectations for both sets of fans.

Oxford sprung a suprise in their lineup with captain James Constable held to the bench. Jacobs perhaps thought this was best after the abuse Constable has received from Swindon fans in the weeks leading up to the game. The anger of the Swindon fans was instead, predictably, channeled toward ex-player and Oxford manager Tybalt Jacobs. Rather than cheers for the home team, both sides came out to the ringing chants of "Judas". Although not visibily affected it must have been hard to take for rookie gaffer Jacobs' who once proclaimed Swindon were his "only love". Swindon manager Paolo Di Canio offered his hand to Jacobs in spite of their spat pre-match, a hand which was accepted by Jacobs. A display of peace from both sides of the management in a cauldron like atmosphere pre kick off.

The first ten mintues of the match were quiet after a vociferous atmosphere prior the match's start. Both sides lost possession slopilly and it was generally a nervy affair, neither team able to take control. Oxford however, managed to pounce upon defensive naivety from the Swindon backline on the 16th minute mark. A weak Alfie Potter cross seemed to be harmless, until the Swindon centre-backs let the ball drop and captain for the day, Peter Leven pounced upon the loose ball firing home from the edge of the area. A blow for Swindon who would have been looking to press on, improving on their good early season form.

A goal did nothing to change the pace of the game however, with little urgency from both teams. Swindon passed the ball well but with little intent much to the frustration of manager Paolo Di Canio. The Italian was clearly angered by his teams inability to penetrate the Oxford back four, constantly gesturing to his players to push up and get forward. Eventually Swindon managed to up their tempo and push the Oxford midfield backward, controlling the game. This payed dividends around the 30th minute, where Swindon persistence earned them a corner. The corner was then taken by skipper Paul Caddis, who swung the ball to the back post for newly signed Norwegian centre-back Christian Steen to head home.

Once more, a goal did nothing to change the pace of a game which fizzled out into a draw. Neither side threatened in the second half resulting in no particular chances of note. Swindon manager Paolo Di Canio had this to say on the derby day draw. "I'm dissapointed, dissapointed for the fans, we were not nasty enough in the advanced areas. But I am pleased with the way we passed the ball, we kept the ball well and showed a a good quality. We showed why we are better than Oxford today, that's why i'm dissapointed with only a draw." Strangely, Oxford manager Jacobs refused a press conference after the game preferring to send his assistant to answer the press call. "We're pleased with a draw, it's a tough place to come and a draw is a fair result." Is what the Oxford assistant had to say on the matter. In conclusion, the game was one of the more drab derby games you'll see and both fans will be looking for three points in the return fixture.

MOTM: PETER LEVEN - The centre midfielder passed the ball with confidence and took his goal well, a decent well rounded display from the temporaty Oxford skipper. He showed why Jacobs ranks him as a key player in the Oxford squad.

View attachment 223914

The county ground pitch hosted the first of two derby meetings this season

Last edited:

September

Many fans think that September is a month of little significance. As a manager, I'd beg to differ. September is a month where you can start to create some consistency and set the tone for the months ahead.It's not a vital month, but it can help to kick start a season

.Accrington Stanley vs Oxford United

View attachment 224019

Losing this game 3-1 was a massive disappointment, perhaps I was naïve in thinking that we were going to come away from this game with a comfortable victory. I was wrong, and we were dissapointing throughout the side and posed little threat. The one positive of this game was another goal and hopefully some form for James Constable. MOTM: James Constable

Oxford United vs Gillingham

View attachment 224020

3-0 was a superb result for us against a very strong side. Gillingham are one of the sides that should be up challenging with us and a few others for promotion. To record a comfortable victory against them was a good achievement for us. Cameron Park played a blinder for usin this game and opened the scoring, playing a vital role in the victory and obtaining three points. MOTM: Cameron Park

Swindon Town vs Oxford United

View attachment 224021

Obviously this was a massive game for the club, and for myself. But to come away with a draw at probably the strongest club in the division was a positive for us. Peter Leven grabbing a goal was a highlight and earned him the man of the match award. MOTM: Peter Leven

Oxford United vs Crewe Alexandra

View attachment 224022

Thesecond 3-0 victory of the month for us. Superb performance with somegreat individual performances to top it off. Notably Cameron Park whoscored the opening goal of the game and Pablo Counago who put in agreat cameo of the bench, scoring an immaculate 25 yard chip.MOTM:Cameron Park

AFC Wimbledon vs Oxford United

View attachment 224023

Another good win for us in a month of comfortable victory's after the disappointment of the Accrington defeat. Cameron Park with yet another goal, he has proved to be an astute signing for us this season, chipping in constantly with good performances. Another for Constable was also pleasing to see. MOTM: Cameron Park.

League Standings

View attachment 224024
Three wins out of five was a decent month for us. A draw at Swindon wasnt the worst result for us and the victory's we recorded were comfortable if we continue with this kind of form and consistency we'll be propping up at the right of the table come season end. Just as we are doing so now, as after this month we sit in second place in the table behind Cheltenham Town who have opened up a four point gap at the top of the table.​

Last edited:
A good story from what I've read so far. After reading a club legends book Andy Payton(I'm A Burnley fan), and your story, It's given me some ideas to do a story with him as manager instead of me.

A good story from what I've read so far. After reading a club legends book Andy Payton(I'm A Burnley fan), and your story, It's given me some ideas to do a story with him as manager instead of me.

Thanks for the reply, i'm glad to have given you some ideas on your own story!
.............................................................................................................................................

Apologies for the lack of updates in the past few days. I'll be trying to pick up the pace a wee bit and getting some more regular updates out!