I've been using a 5-2-3 Formation... 3 DC, 2 WB, 2 CM, AMR & AML, and ST... I found that with the team instructions and philosophy I can dominate games, but fail to score goals... I have set on all my attacking players instructions to Long Shots - Rarely... But over half my attempts during matches are from 25-35 yards out. How do I get it into my players thick skull to not shoot from range? Bug? Perhaps.

I've been using a 5-2-3 Formation... 3 DC, 2 WB, 2 CM, AMR & AML, and ST... I found that with the team instructions and philosophy I can dominate games, but fail to score goals... I have set on all my attacking players instructions to Long Shots - Rarely... But over half my attempts during matches are from 25-35 yards out. How do I get it into my players thick skull to not shoot from range? Bug? Perhaps.

On the player options put long shots on minimum

Just thought I'd update you guys, and with a mixture of both the Total Football Tactic, and a tactic that was given by Mike, I managed the HIGHLY UNLIKELY! *Cue Guile's Street Fighter Theme*View attachment 281589

Glad to hear it mate. yes there are some notable flaws in the ME, but well balanced and dynamic approaches and thinking about what you are trying to do will still get you through. Congrats mate.

Cheers for the help all :). I was just wondering how I could reduce my wage expenditure?. I'm £1000 over budget :S.

Short of offloading players not much you can do. you need to watch out for the bonuses you put on contracts too. they can be very costly

If you've got excess transfer budget, adjust them. Put some of the transfer budget in the wage budget.

Is anyone else finding that the balanced strategy is working the best overall? If I try fluid I get cut to pieces when playing 4-5-1, when combined with attacking it's even worse as the defence seem to go miles up the pitch.
My defenders are still getting confused though especially if there is a back pass or back heel...they usually run away from it and leave my keeper with a one on one he can't deal with.

Is anyone else finding that the balanced strategy is working the best overall? If I try fluid I get cut to pieces when playing 4-5-1, when combined with attacking it's even worse as the defence seem to go miles up the pitch.
My defenders are still getting confused though especially if there is a back pass or back heel...they usually run away from it and leave my keeper with a one on one he can't deal with.

Fluid can stack you players in the attacking third too close together and also it pushes your d-line up, if the place role balance is off you can get yourself into all sorts of trouble, balanced gives you better depth, and stops your players getting too compact. If you get fluid right, you get those wonderful short passing interchanges though

In FM 13 I wouldn't consider anything more fluid than balanced, for any away game. I could take Man Utd to Kettering and still play balanced.

The home team's attacking onus is too much to simply stamp out. I've logged over 180 hours since the beta release and can say that with authority.

That said, I like the added difficulty. Reminds me of playing away in Champ Manager 99/00. Even a sliver too adventurous would see you torn to ribbons.

In FM 13 I wouldn't consider anything more fluid than balanced, for any away game. I could take Man Utd to Kettering and still play balanced.

The home team's attacking onus is too much to simply stamp out. I've logged over 180 hours since the beta release and can say that with authority.

That said, I like the added difficulty. Reminds me of playing away in Champ Manager 99/00. Even a sliver too adventurous would see you torn to ribbons.

I think there a currently a few ME issues, coupled with better AI logic, that can make Fluid struggle if not set properly.