Just how fair is Michel Platini's financial fair-play ruling?

So you basically have to cover whatever you spend?
Which means any random team trying to work their way up with a little stadium and no real amazing sponsorship deal are ******.
Want to buy a player? Touch ****, go out and increase your income by x amount to even think about putting in a bid for him, then when you do one of the much bigger income top 6 teams can easily just outbid you and walk away with the player before you've even thought about it.

It's just setting it up so the current big teams WILL Stay the current big teams because they're the only ones capable of being able to do anything. I can understand them wanting to limit the way teams spend their money but doing this could just destroy the chances of teams.

And now Portsmouth are completely ******. Happy Days!

And CJACKO - I think even you'll agree that there's quite a lot that needs fixing in football; Diving, financial doping, corruption w/in FIFA, match-fixing, goal-line technology, etc.

Or maybe they're all OK as well.

Things do need to be changed but not much, football wouldnt have made it this far if it was poor would it?

You spoil our fun, Mike.

Right, but so what? It'll take years of sustained development to reach their level. You make it sound like hard work, commitment and building for the future is unfair or something.

It could well be argued that Abramovich only has one thing on his mind: winning the Champions League.

Don't be ridiculous. The enjoyability of football has NOTHING to do with this argument. "Don't fix it if it aint broken" is the approach you take with toasters, not football. Just because this system works (barely) doesn't mean that it can't be improved.

Wonderful. So, they nearly went bankrupt and are a shadow of their former selves. If they'd gone bankrupt, you think they'd be happy so long as they won an FA Cup before they went under?

You answerd your own question

I also live in Portsmouth (Well near) and have supported them my whole life.
Granted, going to that Final in 2008 was one of the greatest moments of my life involved in football. It was an amazing experience that i will never forget. But I would give that trophy back right now if what has happened to my beloved club regarding it's owners etc was erased also. Unfortunately we won't be remembered for that FA cup win, rather that we were the first PL club to go into Administration.

This point is you didnt go bust and you can look back at the good times. Granted if you had gone bust then its a different scenario (i wouldnt be going to Chelsea's first pre-season game this season thats for sure). But you are still around and fighting and doing much better as a business and you will tell your kids kids kids etc what you saw this team do and they will hardly believe you.

So you basically have to cover whatever you spend?
Which means any random team trying to work their way up with a little stadium and no real amazing sponsorship deal are ******.
Want to buy a player? Touch ****, go out and increase your income by x amount to even think about putting in a bid for him, then when you do one of the much bigger income top 6 teams can easily just outbid you and walk away with the player before you've even thought about it.

It's just setting it up so the current big teams WILL Stay the current big teams because they're the only ones capable of being able to do anything. I can understand them wanting to limit the way teams spend their money but doing this could just destroy the chances of teams.

Read the past 2 pages. Look further past a few seasons and you'll see it's better for smaller clubs too. ^.^

Why not? Try again.

Also, this is in effect a wage cap, just a much more effective and flexible one.

if people are fine with who are the big clubs present day then its fine. I just dont see anyone catching them up or comming anywhere near.

Things do need to be changed but not much, football wouldnt have made it this far if it was poor would it?

This point is you didnt go bust and you can look back at the good times. Granted if you had gone bust then its a different scenario (i wouldnt be going to Chelsea's first pre-season game this season thats for sure). But you are still around and fighting and doing much better as a business and you will tell your kids kids kids etc what you saw this team do and they will hardly believe you.

Aye, I'm sure Pompey are loving being in the championship, barely able to string a team let alone a squad together, not a chestnut to the name - But hey ho, they have an FA cup so it's all good.

And, a salary/spending cap is impossible to implement by EU law, so not really a great option. :)

I'm getting a sense of De Ja Vu, I swear I discussed this with Joss/Joel before...

I'll see if I can hunt the thread down

I aint getting involved this time I've made my points before, only thing we can all do with FFP is basically wait and see to be honest.

What?!

The system's a success because Portsmouth barely, BARELY JUST avoided going into administration? oO)oO)

Of corse its not a full success no but the point remains that they are still a club and a club that had huge success which they never thought they would see from their side.

I'd say football's struggling quite a bit at the moment, but that's just me and that's a debate for another day and another thread.

What?!

The system's a success because Portsmouth barely, BARELY JUST avoided going into administration? oO)oO)

Well, that means Arsenal are one of the most successful teams of the past 6 years by that logic!!

No. To be put through those times was horrible. We were competing in the top league for a mid-table position. We are now struggling to field a basketball team, let alone have a 25 man squad. Sure, I can talk about that FA cup win but we will be more known for being the first club to go into Administration. There have been numerous FA cup winners, but how many PL clubs have got into Admin? I know which one I would remember if I was a neutral. I can assure you, if you ask any true Pompey fans around you, they will say he same thing.

Aye, I'm sure Pompey are loving being in the championship, barely able to string a team let alone a squad together, not a chestnut to the name - But hey ho, they have an FA cup so it's all good.

And, a salary/spending cap is impossible to implement by EU law, so not really a great option. :)

Like i said they are doing much better now days. A spending cap isent impossible at all, Fifa name a price mark and teams stick by it how hard can it be?

What?!

We went into Admin, you mean we were one decision away from being Liquidated?

Like i said they are doing much better now days. A spending cap isent impossible at all, Fifa name a price mark and teams stick by it how hard can it be?

I said it's impossible by EU law. Oddly enough, FIFA don't overrule the EU.

if people are fine with who are the big clubs present day then its fine. I just dont see anyone catching them up or comming anywhere near.

What bullshit. How did Nottingham Forest challenge the big clubs, back when there were no mega-rich billionaires taking over clubs? They did it though **** good management and results on the pitch, that's how, and these rules will help take football back to those days.

No. To be put through those times was horrible. We were competing in the top league for a mid-table position. We are now struggling to field a basketball team, let alone have a 25 man squad. Sure, I can talk about that FA cup win but we will be more known for being the first club to go into Administration. There have been numerous FA cup winners, but how many PL clubs have got into Admin? I know which one I would remember if I was a neutral. I can assure you, if you ask any true Pompey fans around you, they will say he same thing.

Portsmouth at this moment is a stable football club, so your saying you would trade the 5 Wembley appearences and the European tour to be a bottom/mid table team in the PL?

What bullshit. How did Nottingham Forest challenge the big clubs, back when there were no mega-rich billionaires taking over clubs? They did it though **** good management and results on the pitch, that's how, and these rules will help take football back to those days.

I mean, how did Villa win a European Cup? ;)

Football is a totally different game now days and you have to spend to keep things fresh and different.