aslaram

Banned
Reaction score
Am Spurs and into 5th season. I've won 4 premier league titles, 3 league cup, 2 FA cup, 1 europa cup and 1 champions league. In fact, 4th season I won the lot, yay! Lost 1 league game, 4 from end......Arsenal - Boo! Despite the success of the season the fans are unhappy with the loss to their rivals......boo hiss! Suck a lemon!

5th season in, chamions league registration and I can't register a team because I only have 3 home grown players. Worse thing is, I can't continue until I register a squad. Uuuurrrggghhh!!!

So I guess that's it. The 3 regens introduced last year I'll never see progress and the 2 I have as intro's for this year will never see action. I'm so annoyed!

Has this ever happened to anyone before?

Also, just incase you're wondering, how did this happen, the truth is, that in order to win trophies you need the best players and let's face it, none of them are English! Being a premier league club in 2015 sucks!

I wanted to buy Baines, Everton kept rejecting. I wanted Jagielka - no way was I paying near on £20m for him. Liverpool wouldn't sell Jack Robinson. Rooney - as if! Young, Downing, Rodwell, their stats are awful. Again though, why would I pay more than £15-20m when I can get better for cheaper. Micah Richards - wages! Lampard - rivals! Sturridge - rivals! West Ham regen (amazing:) - rivals! Wilshere - NEMESIS CLUB!

I'm sure by now you get the point. I'm really annoyed, why should I have to pay over the odds wages and transfer fees for o.k. players who might at best get 10 games for me in a season? The long term result of clubs not selling to me - I now have a game I can't go another season with.

Defoe, Huddlestone, Parker - get lost I said. £60k per week? £1m signing on fee? Agent, the same for signing paper? You're not good enough for me now!
Kyle Walker? Vrsjalko and amazing regen + sold for Walker £22.5m, hmm, what would you have done? I wonder!

It really sucks. The blooming not selling to rivals and players not joining rivals has cost me severely. As Spurs, they are hated by Chelsea and West Ham. Man Utd 's players cost a bomb. Liverpool don't sell to anyone. Man City (have you seen the wages mediocre English players are on?). Everton - you can have him for......£25m+....yeah right! Jagielka, Baines? Ottamendi, Alex Sandro? so that's what I did, Ottamendi, Alex Sandro, cost just over that for the 2 of them. Who d'you think got the wisest and best deal there? Yep, that's right.......me!

Rant over.

Has anyone had this problem with the lack of quality of players in their own country, absurdly high wages/transfer fees and rivalry cost them to the point they can't register a squad?

Also, what do I do? transfer window has ended, is that really it?

Leave spaces in your 25 man squad. Every space counts as a HG player, unless it's filled.

As a PL team you need to make sure you have the minimum required for the homegrown quota. If you fail to do that, you aren't taking notice of the rules.

As a PL team you need to make sure you have the minimum required for the homegrown quota. If you fail to do that, you aren't taking notice of the rules.

Lol, alright Mr FA Representative!

First time I started playing FM I made the mistake of not paying attention. And good god did I get punished

It is quite an annoying rule, but as you demonstrated it has it's uses. Weird though that you couldn't keep at least some of Tottenhams HG-players, I think they have quite a lot (Walker, Defoe, Parker, Dawson, Huddlestone, Bale, Lennon). The best way around this is to sign some nice youngsters on the first transferdate, but even then it will take time.
As others have said, leave open the spaces for the HG-players and you can register. Next scout for regens that might help in the long run.

i allways sign the most promising regens at 15/16 years of age so they become HG in 4 years time my spurs squad in 2022 have like 10 HG and only 2 are english haha

Can you not register youth players who ahve come through your academy? Ok, they wouldn't be as good as your first teamers but if needs must. You don't have to play them!

If its the champions league registration, just register your best 16, and fill the other spaces with kids to get it done, you'll go through anyway if your spurs team is that good.

Yeah, as I said, I wanted to win trophies! D'you honestly think I could win the champions league with all those players? Inniesta, Ronaldo, Messi, Pique, Xavi, Gotze, Robben, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, all players that had won it on my previous seasons, and I go in with Defoe who is prone to goal droughts after a brilliant run of goals, Lennon who can't cross, pass or shoot - just a speed merchant!

Got offered £22.5m for Walker, I sold him. Who wouldn't? Yeah, I won the league cup and league with those players, but to win the champions league the game is very realistic in that you need top quality players. I don't know, maybe someone has a wonder tactic that can win it after 3 years of managing Derby, but to me, that's not very realistic and I didn't want to win the champs league with a half decent team. It's not right.

It is quite an annoying rule, but as you demonstrated it has it's uses. Weird though that you couldn't keep at least some of Tottenhams HG-players, I think they have quite a lot (Walker, Defoe, Parker, Dawson, Huddlestone, Bale, Lennon). The best way around this is to sign some nice youngsters on the first transferdate, but even then it will take time.
As others have said, leave open the spaces for the HG-players and you can register. Next scout for regens that might help in the long run.

Ha ha, thanks for that. Very constructive Mr FA! LOL!!

Naughty boy, don't you ever do that again - basically what you're saying. That really made me laugh - Why so serious?

I have signed regens, but when you're spurs and your team needs a revamp, d'you honestly think I can afford to blow money on youngsters? The first season or 2 is all about selling first teamers to raise as much cash as possible and buying players who can improve the first team. Buying regens comes later.

You start off with about £11m and it's hard to sell players in the first season as other teams have also got low budgets. I started with Vrisjalko, Badelj, Paloschi, M'Bengue, Fernando, Mangane and Doumbia. How on earth could I get those players by spending £1m-£3m in copensation on a 16 year old who adds nothing in the all important now season? I started buying them in the second when I could start to look more long term, but youngsters are a luxury early on.
I've got loads of regens, but most are 6 months to a year away from qualifying as home grown. Also, some have only just joined because of rules about them moving before 18.

One last thing, though I get what people are saying with regards to Tottenham having lots of English players, the problem for me was the extension of contracts. Parker, Huddlestone, Defoe all want £50k-£60k per week. They don't have the budget to have them as subs. That's a ridiculous amount of money to pay a substitute. Then you have £1m sign on fees for player and agent, £10k appearence fee, team of year bonus. How can you justify that? It's really annoying, because in hind-site I can see that you kinda are held to ransom because in the future you can't move on unless you have high paid pants players in your squad.

So, in short, forget Willian, Vrisjalko, Douglas Costa and all the other outstanding, better, cheaper players. Instead, hang on to Defoe, Huddlestone, Lennon, struggle to win anything, but hey, it's o.k. at least you can play in the champions league. The standard of player versus value and wages in the premier league is disgusting for English players. Can't fault the realism though!

Alright, let me see if I can put an end to this once and for all and knock some sense into you. Hopefully you will become enlightened and get on with playing Spurs by the end of my post.

Am Spurs and into 5th season. I've won 4 premier league titles, 3 league cup, 2 FA cup, 1 europa cup and 1 champions league. In fact, 4th season I won the lot, yay! Lost 1 league game, 4 from end......Arsenal - Boo! Despite the success of the season the fans are unhappy with the loss to their rivals......boo hiss! Suck a lemon!

Your first complaint. This is the way the game is programmed. Over the course of a season, if there is something to complain about, no matter how insignificant it is, the fans or the board will complain about it. To avoid fans being or the board being unhappy:

1. Win all the games in all competitions in a season.
2. Sign big name players to please your fans.
3. Still maintain a healthy bank balance and keep the wage budget under control.

In other words, eliminate everything that a fan or the board is likely to be upset about, otherwise then the board or fans will complain about something. It's just the way the game is programmed.

Solution: Just ignore it. I once sold a not-so promising newgen, and the fans are ******** about because they felt that the player had something to offer, but I know better.

5th season in, chamions league registration and I can't register a team because I only have 3 home grown players. Worse thing is, I can't continue until I register a squad. Uuuurrrggghhh!!!

So I guess that's it. The 3 regens introduced last year I'll never see progress and the 2 I have as intro's for this year will never see action. I'm so annoyed!

Has this ever happened to anyone before?

Also, just incase you're wondering, how did this happen, the truth is, that in order to win trophies you need the best players and let's face it, none of them are English! Being a premier league club in 2015 sucks!

Your second complaint. The possible solutions to the squad registration problem are:

1. Leave a space in your squad, as other posters in the thread has suggested. That will solve the problem.
2. Holiday through the squad registration day, and let your assistant manager choose the squad for you.
3. Quit the game.

Personally I would not choose the second option as you have no control over which players that will get to be in your squad.

If you're choosing the first option, You can also opt to register players who you feel are the next first team player in your squad who is home-grown. (who can start a game or be a sub, say the last game in your group, having already qualified for the first round)

Food for thought: How do you think Roberto Mancini registers his squad for the Champions League in real life? Does he forfeit entry into the competition just because he cannot meet the selection quota?

Has anyone had this problem with the lack of quality of players in their own country, absurdly high wages/transfer fees and rivalry cost them to the point they can't register a squad?

Also, what do I do? transfer window has ended, is that really it?

Now, with regards to the home grown player issue.

In order for a player to obtain the "Trained at club (15-21)" status, he must be:

1. Be in the club for at least 3 years cumulatively between the ages 15-21.

At first glance, it seems like a simple rule to follow. However, for a home grown player to get into the first team squad, it's not that easy. Firstly, I would suggest that you upgrade your youth recruitment network and youth facilities to the highest level possible if you haven't already done so. This increases the chances that the newgens you get each year do actually get into your first team squad.

Here is what I usually do:

Either sign the said player at 15-16 years old or through your youth system, then leave him in the U18 squad for 2 seasons until he is ready to go out on loan to your feeder club (ask your board for one) for a season or 2, then play him sparingly in your first team squad. (as substitute in the last 20-30 minutes in a 2 or more goal winning margin game against weak opponents) This ensures that he gets the home grown status before he's 21. Or if you feel that he is ready for first team action, then there is no need to even loan him out to get first team experience.

You seem to be under the impression that for the home grown status to be attained, the player must be in the same home country as the club you're managing. (in your case, England) This is not true. Most of my Spanish and French newgens have attained the home grown status.

It is the sad fact that England lack quality English players, compared to other countries such as Brazil, Argentina, France etc. There is nothing you can do about it except for modifying the database yourself and changing the average PA values for a newgen. (England is 137 if I remember correctly)

I wanted to buy Baines, Everton kept rejecting. I wanted Jagielka - no way was I paying near on £20m for him. Liverpool wouldn't sell Jack Robinson. Rooney - as if! Young, Downing, Rodwell, their stats are awful. Again though, why would I pay more than £15-20m when I can get better for cheaper. Micah Richards - wages! Lampard - rivals! Sturridge - rivals! West Ham regen (amazing:) - rivals! Wilshere - NEMESIS CLUB!

I'm sure by now you get the point. I'm really annoyed, why should I have to pay over the odds wages and transfer fees for o.k. players who might at best get 10 games for me in a season? The long term result of clubs not selling to me - I now have a game I can't go another season with.

Defoe, Huddlestone, Parker - get lost I said. £60k per week? £1m signing on fee? Agent, the same for signing paper? You're not good enough for me now!
Kyle Walker? Vrsjalko and amazing regen + sold for Walker £22.5m, hmm, what would you have done? I wonder!

It really sucks. The blooming not selling to rivals and players not joining rivals has cost me severely. As Spurs, they are hated by Chelsea and West Ham. Man Utd 's players cost a bomb. Liverpool don't sell to anyone. Man City (have you seen the wages mediocre English players are on?). Everton - you can have him for......£25m+....yeah right! Jagielka, Baines? Ottamendi, Alex Sandro? so that's what I did, Ottamendi, Alex Sandro, cost just over that for the 2 of them. Who d'you think got the wisest and best deal there? Yep, that's right.......me!

Rant over.

Regarding Baines, why would Everton sell their best player to you? It could also be related to how much you are offering for him. or simply, he just doesn't want to join Tottenham.

About Jagielka, if you can sell Kyle Walker for £22.5m, then £20m for Jagielka seems fair to me. Or it's just that your negotiation skills aren't good enough.

If Defoe is still asking for £60k per week at 34-35, then you are better off selling him.

Explanation over.

Myownworld - Are you an actual ***? Amatuer status, hmmm, says it all.

Sorry that's rude. You might be a ***, but who am I to assume..........like you have with all of the 'spelling it out to you once and for all' piece above.

Question - did you once at any point ask who I'd brought and sold? Have I mentioned any where the state of my facilities? Did I not make clear the fact young players who added nothing to my first team were considered a luxury and too big a dent in my budget in the first 2 seasons?

Laying the smack down now pal in a you said, I say style!!!!!!!

Win all of you're games - because that's realistic. I lost one game, 4 from end with league sown up. Did a clean sweep and won the premier league, league cup, FA cup and champions league and it's only to be expected that my fans are upset with 1 loss in over 60 games. ***!
Buy big name players - What, like Pastore, Ottamendi, Vidal, Fellani, Willian, Oscar, Ozil, Doumbia, + 4 world class regens. Ignorant ***!!
Go holiday, etc - Have now by passed it having selected a smaller squad.

"Food for thought" - Sorry for being thick, no, hang on, that's just how you're portraying me - Let's see - Hart, Richards, Glichy, Bridge, Lescott, Barry, Milner, Johnson. D'you like humble pie?

"Now with regards to home grown player issue." - Thanks for spelling it out. I don't know why, but somehow, having read your way of describing it as opposed to the version dished out by the game itself, it suddenly makes sense, or d'you think that's just sarcasm?

"You seem to be under under the impression......from you're own country." - Really, what makes you say that? Have I put something somewhere I'm not aware of?

"Here's what I would do." - Thanks for assuming I'm not. 2015, 5 world class regens, 2 Mexican, 1 USA, 1 Turkish, 1 Italian - Slight problem, brought over last 2 - 3 seasons, haven't yet qualified as home grown.

"Baines - Why would they sell? Maybe he doesn't want to come." - 4 seasons, 4 premier league titles, 3 league cups, 2 FA cups, 1 europa cup, 1 champions league cup, 2 super cups. 3rd richest, 3rd world ranking - Really? Not even a little interested?

"Jagielka, if you can sell Kyle Walker for £22.5m, then £20m seems fair to me. Or it's just your negotiation skills aren't good enough." - Actually, this one made me laugh the most!!!! £22.5m for Walker - Perhaps you're negotiating skills aren't good enough. You really are a ***** aren't you! £22.5m for Walker who isn't worth to me anywhere near that much, that's exploitation to the max from my side. That in mind, why, if I think I've fleeced a club would I then buy Jagielka, now 31/32, for over £20m? The most I've ever spent on one player is Pastore £30m, why would I buy Jagielka for £10m less? Especially when Shawcross cost me less? Words can't describe what I think of you right now.

"Defoe, I'd sell him." - Assuming I haven't dropped him on his **** already - What's that, hang on, no where did I say I hadn't and as usual, your assuming aside, it turns out I already had.

"Explaination over." - Thankyou Charlie Oscar, I receive that and hope a lesson in making assumptions and taking a high road come as a good reminder in why we don't do it!

Last edited:
Over the course of 4 years play and about 4 youth training facility upgrades which all take months and cost money, a couple of training ground upgrades, increased spend in youth networking and junior coaching, a new 49,500 seater stadium, I think it's fair to say the dive that was Tottenham Hotspurs facilities have been enhanced just a little!