JustaJim

Reaction score
Alright everyone!

So, don't know whether its clear in the title, but my name is James, using that cheeky name JustaJim and I want to take you on a journey...but I don't know where yet!

I figure that I will keep it in the UK, that is where most of my knowledge lies in football so to start off I think thats the best bet. The thing is, I really am stuck as to which team to start off, as was thinking that you lot could give me a push in the right direction. At the end of the day, I want it to be something that you guys are going to enjoy reading, so here are my thoughts;

Portsmouth - The whole 'fallen giants' theme has always been a fun one to follow. Can they get back to the top? Can they win another FA Cup? Can they go further than they have ever gone before? This is a story I really enjoy reading about and I figured, why not give it a go myself.

Lincoln City - I've done this previously, failed previously, but when you take on the team where you were born, it makes it all the more special. You know the team inside and out, you get to make the club your own, you have the chance to take them as far as you want and I like that idea. Lincoln City have only ever reached the dizzy heights of what was the Championship all the way back in the 1901-02 season. An interesting story, but a tricky task.

Leicester City - I've got a soft spot for the guys, and seeing them as high as they are at the moment makes me think 'Why can't I do that?'. Obviously i'm not Claudio but I figure it could be fun, building a team around Mahrez and Vardy, seeing whether they can do what they're doing real life in the world of FM as well.

Salford City - This was a late entry because, after watching the TV series, I now want to be the manager, shock horror. Would be pretty interesting to see how the game develops this team into it all. I'm also a Man United fan so from that perspective, I would want to get this team all the way to the big time and facing off against United!

So, I have a few ideas, but I wanted to get your guys views on those options. As well as that, if you've got any other suggestions please fire away, I will take it all on board and send out a post later in the week when I have my mind made up.

As well as me writing updates on what is happening in my story, I will also be making some videos of matches and including anything that I have missed in the update in a video that will last about 10 minutes. Gives you something to watch and something to read, I'm just too fun.

Anyways, cant wait to hear your feedback, in a bit.

I'm calling Lincoln, the Imps are woefully under-represented on here, so we can start a revolution!

I'll be different and vote Pompey then. Take them back to the Prem!

I'm calling Lincoln, the Imps are woefully under-represented on here, so we can start a revolution!

Am I going to be able to emulate what you're doing though? Maybe some LCFC reps might be reading this and decide to invest in our talent!

As a Leicester fan i would love to see you do a story on them, but since we are a top 4 team nowadays it might be a bit to easy :p

So my vote also goes to Portsmouth!

As a Leicester fan i would love to see you do a story on them, but since we are a top 4 team nowadays it might be a bit to easy :p

So my vote also goes to Portsmouth!

Bit of a closet Leicester City fan so I am just as excited as you are about them being in top 4!

Looks as though I've got my team sorted out then..

Bit of a closet Leicester City fan so I am just as excited as you are about them being in top 4!

Looks as though I've got my team sorted out then..

Yeah has been an incredible start to the season, but are now approaching a difficult run of games so will be interesting to see how they cope!

Look forward to your story!

I am contemplating starting a Journeyman save, but going to continue with Heskey's journey for a bit i think.

Am I going to be able to emulate what you're doing though? Maybe some LCFC reps might be reading this and decide to invest in our talent!

Doesn't need to emulate me, such is the beauty of FM stories that they can be the same club and go in completely different directions. The Liverpool stories on here are a perfect example.

And so it begins...

And so it begins...

View attachment 212830

More updates will follow over the weekend, will be posting an update of my staff changes and a look at the key players at the club. As well as this, I will be looking at where I need to strengthen and dive straight into some friendlies.

In a bit.

The tasty pre-season...

So it was somewhat of an easy pre-season for Portsmouth, but a bit of a weird one. Some of the fixtures were so bunched together and that made it tough with such a small squad.

View attachment 212104

Apart from the Ebbsfleet game (a defensive embarrassment), we have had a very nice pre-season. I know all the games were easy, but Portsmouth are financially sound and thats the only reason I would play a Premier League team in pre-season.

The signings

View attachment 212102

There are no stand-out signings to be honest, the squad was looking bare and certain key players had long-term injuries. Songo'o was brought in to sure up the defence after the Ebbsfleet game, Bennett gives us options up front and Goss gives us a nice deep-lying playmaker that was needed in the team.

The key players

View attachment 212100

If this boy gets injured, we have a promising 18-year old to fall back on, but he has been simply brilliant in pre-season. Consistent, loves the over-lapping runs, exactly what I need in a wing back and will be a crucial part of the team.

View attachment 212099

Came as a bit of a shock as he didn't look like much when I first saw him, but I put him of the left-wing as an inside forward, and he has just shone! Compliments Enda down the left side, looking like a very strong partnership there. Did I forget to mention he's scored 6 and assisted 3 in 5 starts, hopefully he can do it against League 2 teams!

View attachment 212098

He's only had 2 games to impress me, but he has made my defence look much more secure. He is bossing it in terms of interceptions and tackles, mentally solid, room for improvement, he is my favourite signing and a vital part of the team.

The team

View attachment 212093

Will probably be tweaked depending on the team I play, but pace up front, creativity and goals from Kyle, Gary and Adam, solid midfield in front of a solid back 4. Despite that 1-star rating on Ben Davies, he has been solid there so i'm not too worried, he is filling in nicely for when our 1st-choice right back comes back from injury.

Upcoming fixtures

View attachment 212088

Dreading the Cardiff game as the board expect to at least reach the 2nd round, but overall...I don't really know to be honest, it could be tough with the 2 away games but we shall see how we do.

With that monster of a post out the way, I will be sending updates of each game and going from there.

In a bit.

Daggers win battle...

View attachment 211688

I feel like this was justice for playing non-league opposition all the way through pre-season. We were getting the shots away but not on target, we were playing like the away team with 45% possession, and whenever they came forward it always looked like being a goal. A very shaky performance indeed, but only the 1st game of the season so plenty of room for improvement.

Starting XI: Murphy, RB Davies, Clarke, Songo'o, Stevens, Hollands, Goss, Roberts, McGurk, K.Bennett, M.Bennett

Best Pompey player: Gary Roberts (7.0)
Got the goal, always looked a threat, didn't have the men to back him up.

In a bit.

Late defeat for Pompey...

View attachment 211491

It was always going to be a tough one against Cardiff, but I couldn't fault our performance at all! We defended superbly, I made a decision to keep Goss out and I reckon that red card just opened us up a little too much. The best we could have hoped for was penalties, but we held our own and gave a good account of ourselves.

Starting XI: Murphy, Davies, Clarke, Webster, Stevens, Hollands, Goss, Tadmine, Roberts, K.Bennett, M.Bennett

Best Pompey player: Matthew Clarke (7.4)
The boy was just on top form and was unlucky to be a part of the defence that conceded so late on. 21 out of 23 headers won, 34 interceptions, 2 crucial tackles, I think the stats speak for themselves!

In a bit.

Last edited:
Fortune with Pompey...

View attachment 211344

The team really needed a lift after a poor defeat in the league and a gutsy performance in which we got nothing from and we managed it...just! On the 53rd minute mark, we had banged in our 3rd goal to make it 3-0 and we were coasting, but fatigue set in from the Cardiff game and we let in 2 goals, but hung on well for the victory. Clinically sound and a great way to bounce back after 2 defeats.

Starting XI: Murphy, Miller, Clarke, Songo'o, Stevens, Hollands, Close, Roberts, Bytyqi, K.Bennett, M.Bennett

Best Pompey player: Gary Roberts (8.2)
A goal and an assist, he is doing all the right things and is leading the front line as a playmaker and goalscorer. 3 key passes, 3 key headers, when he is on it, he is on it!

In a bit!

Last edited:
Quality finishing the difference...

View attachment 211214

I have mixed feelings about this result. On the one hand we got the win, away from home, nice clean sheet, can't really complain. On the other hand, we conceded 15 fouls and after the Cardiff game it puts me a little on edge. Nevertheless, we got a great result and everyone contributed to a win that saw us move back into the top 4, splendid!

Starting XI: Murphy, Davies, Clarke, Webster, Stevens, Doyle, Goss, Roberts, McGurk, K.Bennett, Stockley

Best Pompey player: Adam Webster (8.2)
Now I know it says that Enda Stevens got MoTM and he is a close 2nd, but looking at what Webster did in this game tells me he is the main reason we managed a clean sheet. 20 headers won and 12, yes 12 were key headers! 29 interceptions, he won all his tackles, this boy is a very exciting prospect at 20 years of age, go on son!

In a bit.

Last edited:
Vintage Pompey...

View attachment 210732

And that's the third win in a row, we have definitely managed to get over that terrible first game of the season! I think we could have won by more as we definitely weren't switched on in the first half hour. We paid for that by conceding a great goal by Wildig who ran us ragged, but we got it together in the 2nd half and punished accordingly. A good solid win which sees us move to the top of the table, up the Pompey!

Starting XI: Murphy, Miller, Clarke, Webster, Stevens, Doyle, Goss, Roberts, McGurk, K.Bennett, Stockley

Best Pompey player: Michael Miller (7.4)
He was brought into the club to sure up that RB position and he showed why he should be a permanent fixture in the team. Usually Enda plays that wing back that plays the overlapping runs, but for some reason today wasn't on his game. That didn't matter really, Miller made 3 key crosses, got a very good assist and was a constant threat down the right side. I initially thought we were all down the left flank as a threat, it's nice to know we can mix it up!

In a bit.

Let me know if you want to see anymore out of my posts guys, I'm happy to listen to suggestions. At the end of the day, its all about making sure you are enjoying what you're reading on this journey :)

In a bit.

Hats off to Luton...

View attachment 210490

This is another game I have mixed feelings for. We looked absolutely abysmal up until the 80th minute, 2nd best at everything in the air, passing, I know we were away from home but we are challenging for promotion, its simple stuff! On the other hand, we smashed it in the last 10 minutes and we very unlucky not to get a draw out of the game, we were all over them! The substitutions all played a part in the fightback but it just wasn't enough. Proud of the boys, but they could have started the fightback at least 10 minutes earlier!

Starting XI: Murphy, Miller, Clarke, Webster, Stevens, Doyle, Close, Roberts, McGurk, K.Bennett, Stockley

Best Pompey player: Sinan Bytyqi (7.1)
He should have started, that's all I need to say really. When he came on and played as an Inside Forward, he couldn't be touched. Coming in off the right wing, players couldn't tackle him, a dribbling sensation and a well deserved goal to boot. Looked lively and will definitely be in the next game!

In a bit.

Updates, bits and bobs...

Updates, bits and bobs

So the season is 5 games old in the Football League, I would say I am fairly happy so far, 5th is around the right area and I think we've been very unlucky in some of our games. Nevertheless, there is no stand-out team in this league as of yet, far too early in the season to tell but hopefully we can build a platform and get the promotion the board have asked for.

League table and player stats

View attachment 210486

Again, much like the rest of the league, no one has particularly stood out who I didn't think would. Roberts is scoring, Stevens is assisting, the youngsters Close and Webster have been showing why they should be picked in a very competitive squad. Still tinkering with the team and still learning, not thrilled but by no means disappointed with the players.

The squad

View attachment 210480

The only real thing you can tell from this is that the squad is now a nice size. The 6 new additions have sured up any positions that weren't sufficiently backed up or strong enough and we now have the comfort of rotating when the fixtures start to pile up. As I said before, far too early in the season but we are relatively injury-free and looking good!

For the closet fan (that'll be me then!)

View attachment 210478

My 3rd favourite team seem to be doing pretty well, looks be reflecting how good the are in real life ;)

In a bit.