KAZAKHSTAN: Cultural Learnings of Football Manager for Make Benefit Glorious Nation

Gaius Baltar

Reaction score
1280px-FC_Astana_Logo.svg.png

KAZAKHSTAN
Cultural Learnings of Football Manager for Make Benefit Glorious Nation

Welcome to my first story ever written for a Football Manager game. I have played for nearly ten years and always been a lurker of this and other Football Manager story sites, reading the stories and being enraptured by the prose. After much deliberation, I've decided to write my own story and I've chosen some ambitious and interesting ways of doing it that I hope people find interesting and fun.

First, the club. Why Kazakhstan and why Astana? I found them in FM 2015 when I wanted to test myself in Europe and fell in love with them, carrying out a long save into the 2050s where I became a pillar of European football and a giant of a club. I humbled Kazakhstan locally and led a long campaign of terror across the European continent like Ghenghis Khan.

I actually didn't know I was going to make this into a story to start, hence by the time I post this post I'm am already two years in. But after having so much fun, I realized I wanted to make this into a story.

Disclaimer. I am using a database from Steam that adds the league playable. In this version, for some reason, the clubs receive grants. I don't know if this is accurate or not but it helps. I have every one of the leagues loaded up, with several Eastern European ones playable such as Russia, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia and then Brazil.

FC ASTANA.

The little club with deep pockets.

Founded as Lokomotiv Astana in 2009, the club changed its name to Astana in 2011. Commonly referred to as FC Astana, they play in the 30,200 seat Astana Arena which they rent at a cost of 50% of the gate receipts.

MY RULES.
One of the reasons, I feel, that people get tired of saves and leave them so quickly is that a human player can conquer the game so easily. As such, I've created some rules for myself to limit myself, test my abilities and keep things interesting. These rules will also encourage me to think beyond a few years and beyond just Champions League glory. I may add to these rules at a later date to keep the save fresh.

- No Brazilian regens: They're too easy to sign, too good for the cost and it's just too easy.
- No transfers costing more than 50% of my transfer budget. No splashing on flashy superstars.
- No transfers if I have a negative balance or loans of ANY kind. This includes stadium loans.
- Unlimited signing of players classified as Homegrown by FC ASTANA.
- The Juventus Rule: Strive to have as much of my club represent the Kazakhstan international side as possible. Be the source of Kazakhstan internationals much like Juventus has historically been in Italy.

MY CHALLENGES.
- Champions League success: An obvious goal but a longer term one.
- Kazakhstan Affiliate success: Balterek starts as an Affiliate club and it is my goal to see them be successful too, even if it means they sever our relationship at that point. I will do this through loaning my players to them and infusing them with cash whenever possibly by overspending on their average talent. Also, I will try to not poach their quality players unless that player is already under a transfer bid and then I can make a move on one of their quality players.
- Super League du Kazakhstan becomes a Top 3 league in Europe. Ranked 39th at the start.
- Kazakhstan international side achieve a Top 5 World Rank. Ranked 138th at the start.

We are praying for great success, yes?!

Good title. It sounds interesting, looking forward to see how this unfolds.

Thanks for the support and kind words all! They are truly appreciated.

I'll be posting my updates to my current place and more once I get passed the spam bot restrictions on images.

acbkYsrgpNM.jpg

KAZAKHSTAN
Cultural Learnings of Football Manager for Make Benefit Glorious Nation​

As I mentioned in my opening post, I hadn't decided to do a story with this save until I was a few years in. As such, I'm going to do two recaps, for 2015 and then 2016, before jumping right into where I'm at currently in my save. Hope you all enjoy!

2015 LEAGUE STANDINGS.
5Rs08cY.png

2015 LEAGUE RESULTS.
WWG9yOc.jpg

Apparently, domestic domination wasn't as difficult as I at one time feared. First season with my counter Asymmetrical formation and only 3 losses. Struggled towards the end as we ran into fixture congestion with European matches and that wore on my starters. The draws during that period stand out. I used quite a few reserve players and youth during those months for the league play and the results show it.

2015 CUP RESULTS.
q5BUcFO.jpg

A flawless run to take the cup, closing with a final in extra time that had me biting my nails and hoping for the best.

2015 EUROPEAN RESULTS.
FD2k2eb.jpg

My second qualifying draw was easier than I anticipated as we smashed them at home and then destroyed the Israeli side at their own grounds 3-0. Third qualifying round, I thought Viktoria Plzen would be easier than Te-Aviv but they proved to be very difficult and we won on away goals 1-1. As soon as I drew Celtic, I thought my Champions League dream was over and prepared myself to crash out. I was pleasantly surprised to win the first leg away with 4 away goals but I had my doubts that Celtic would come booming back. However, we buckled down and held strong at home for a 2-1 victory in our arena, sending us into the Group Stages and boosting our bank.

Getting into the Group Stages is huge financially but I knew I was out of my league with this draw. The first PSV match 2-2 in the Netherlands, my hopes were high that I might be able to take 3rd in the group and go down to the Europa League Knockout stages. Those hopes were quickly dashed by Manchester City and Olympiakos. Managed two scoreless draws in a row that filled my coffers a bit but not by much.

2015 TRANSFERS.
BkLq2Pz.jpg

Cleaned out a lot of the foreign players that I didn't feel fit my system or didn't show much. Tried to make as much as I could to fill my coffers because I wasn't sure if I'd win the league or not. Spent almost all of my early budget on Alexander Merkel and he has repaid that investment since as a huge piece in my midfield and AMC roles. In the summer window, I spent heavily and got two stalwarts to my starting 11 in Andrej Startsev who has been my starting RB since and performed great and Marko Grujic who has much potential and is my starting DM since he arrived. He is one of my Top 5 players now. More on him in another update.

Not a bad year 2015. Group Stages in Europe, won the domestic double and got some good transfers.

acbkYsrgpNM.jpg

KAZAKHSTAN

2016 LEAGUE STANDINGS.
LAeORmQ.png

2016 LEAGUE RESULTS.
TB4kg2p.jpg

An undefeated league campaign that saw us have a long win streak from April 20th to June 25th. This season was a nervous one as you can tell by a lot of the 1-0 victories that really proved to me that we were in desperate need of new forwards.

2016 END OF SEASON AWARDS.
qyjrd4x.jpg

Merkel showing his value and really making his mark on ASTANA.

2016 UNBEATEN SEASON.
SmuRFSl.jpg

What a moment!

2016 CUP RESULTS.
tCs6H2r.jpg

Again, the nail-biting results of the Cup proved to me that we needed a new forward or two as we couldn't get goals to save our life.

2016 EUROPEAN RESULTS.
8O6lz1e.jpg

I had hopes that we could build on the successes of our last European adventure but was very disappointed to be drawn into a group with Atletico, SLB and Milan. Milan proved a surprising average side and those two draws helped keep our budget strong. Still, not the campaign we were hoping for.

2016 TRANSFERS.
i6OAZoq.jpg

Outgoing, a mass exodus in terms of players. After my first two youth intakes, I cleared our the majority of my youth team and reserves, mostly on frees. I sold another foreigner that was taking up a foreigner spot that wasn't quite the quality I was looking for and I sold off average players as the overall quality of my squad rose.

Incoming, an expensive re-tooling that built depth and brought in some foreign quality to take up the spots previously held by average foreigners. Ismaily and Cesar came on relatively cheap deals that raised the quality in both positions massively. Gurman was a Kazakhstan national and was the starting DC that I required. He also offered depth at the DM position. Mataev is a massive prospect of Kazakhstan that I had to take from my rivals as my facilities were starting to improve massively and I didn't want his potential ruined by their lacking facilities. Islamkhan was the star of the Kazakhstan national team and filled my AMC role perfectly, pushing my star Merkel to the bench and backup duties. The rest was spent on Kazakhstan nationals for depth who were the stars of their respective clubs and I plundered Africa for 3-4 youngsters with high potential and good quality.

acbkYsrgpNM.jpg

KAZAKHSTAN

2017 ASTANA OVERVIEW.
vL8W24T.jpg

Estimated value has risen nicely, trophy cabinet filling up.

2017 BOARD OVERVIEW.
UmiWzgB.jpg

Facilities being improved for a second time to really build the quality of my squad and youth. Large transfer budget and wage budget remaining.

2017 FINANCES.
3mDCkE4.jpg

You see the spike every December from my government grant for 30m. The other bumps in come from Champions League play. Large jump in expenses in December 2016 as I made large purchases for the first time in an attempt to actually take 3rd in the Group Stages of Champions League.

2017 CLUB REPUTATION.
d1QiLok.png

87th club reputation. Broke the top 100 in 2016. Looking at my co-efficients, I'll be pushing into the top 75 by the end of 2017 for sure.

2017 LEAGUE REPUTATION.
GnU1D2O.png

34th league reputation. Started at 39 and now pushing my way towards the top 30. I think I'll be close to the top 30 by the end of 2017.

2017 FORMATION.
bZaibx7.jpg

Again, to challenge myself, I developed an interesting and different formation that I think will keep my club interesting and attacking minded. One of the things very apparent when you spend time in FM 2016 is that one tactical simply won't do. After a season or two, it'll be less effective and the AI will learn ways to counter it. As such, this tactical will no doubt change over time and I will add other tactics to the mix.

2017 SQUAD.
k9blLdy.jpg

The starting 11 in this image are a rotated squad. As you can see, my depth in terms of quality has improved. Just looking at those ability stars, look at my bench and Aleksei Shchetkin. He was a 3.5 rated striker in 2015/2016 seasons. The quality of Jovic and Marrone has really changed my perception of what I have. Konan at DCR is one of my promising youth products purchased in the 2016/2017 windows from Africa. He'll be a huge piece for us very soon. Merkel at S4 was a 4.5 star for me in 2015/2016 seasons and to see him at 3 stars really hurts me. He was such quality. He still offers quality off the bench in Europe and quality in the starting 11 for congested league fixtures and the cup.

2017 RESERVES.
TYN3roI.jpg

Lots of quality, unfortunately almost all of it is foreign. I'm hoping some of these foreign talents slip through the cracks for their national sides and nationalize into Kazakhstan players. Mataev has huge potential, as you can see by 9 goals in 7 reserve appearances. He is the future of Kazakhstan football for sure and once my facilities upgrade again soon, he will only get better. Stanojevic just arrived and he missed my registration window and I'm short a foreigner player slot as in Kazakhstan you can only register 7 foreigners for the league and cup.

2017 YOUTH SQUAD.
phCAVp5.jpg

Very average but much better than when I arrived. As soon as my next youth intake arrives, I'll be purging most of the trash products and buy up some young Kazakhstan products.

2017 TOP 5 PLAYERS.

9JddkuK.jpg

1. Luka Jovic

Well-known striker and Serbian youngster. New to my club, I couldn't pass up grabbing him for 1.5m to his club and 6.7m to the third party. I had 30m in terms of a transfer budget so I had to make it happen. I've struggled in my first two campaigns with my strikers scoring goals so I hope he will end that struggle and give me a consistent and strong striker up front to bang in the goals, both domestically and in European competition. Has an average rating of 7.37 in 6 appearances so far in 2017 with 3 goals, 1 assist.

tznKZuO.jpg

2. Marko Grujic

Bought for 1.6m in my first season in charge, June 24th. He has been a powerhouse in midfield, particularly in my tactic's DM role. He's averaged 7.62 in his 2.5 years with me so far and as gardnered little interest from Europe so far. He also has yet to make his Serbian debut at 21 so I'm hoping he nationalizes and decides to play for Kazakhstan in the future.

8gDNRlC.jpg

3. Luca Marrone

Another recent signing to my club. As a Juventus supporter, I went for him after I saw he was transfer listed at 3.4m. A strong force, he offers me coverage at DC, DM, and CM. His vision, passing and strong defensive attributes will help hold down my center. I hope he becomes an ASTANA legend. Has an average rating of 7.27 in 6 appearances so far in 2017.

upEqrSH.jpg

4. Ismaily

Purchased for 2.3m towards the early start of 2016 from Shakhtar after he was on their transfer list for almost 8 months. Has been a stalwart on the left for us and his pace and strong defensive attributes have been a welcomed sight. Not capped for Brazil, he is another I hope nationalizes and decides to play for Kazakhstan. Has an average rating of 7.75 in 33 appearances for ASTANA.

PJpBZlg.jpg

5. Nemanja Maksimovic​

Started 2015 at my club and has been our starting midfielder since. He is a class act in terms of where he plays. He has been a strong leader in my locker room. Has an average rating of 7.82 in 56 appearances with 12 POTM awards.​

acbkYsrgpNM.jpg

KAZAKHSTAN

2017 SPRING.

This is where I am at currently so by this update you will be completely caught up with me. The Kazakhstan league runs a little weird, starting the beginning of March and running until the end of July. At that point, the league is split top half and bottom half where they play each other a few more times within those groups. This provides an interesting twist on the leagues results as if I advance to the Group Stages ever, I will begin my season right around when the Knockout Stages of Europe begin. And, as I end the first half of my season, the Qualifying Rounds of Europe begin.

Some early Spring injuries have hit my club, two of them to important rotation players and one to my rising star in Mataev. He is the future of Kazakhstan internationally and so his development is very important to me.

1L0Sd45.jpg

sYoAJ1m.jpg

YX0JsaZ.jpg

Very rough, especially Merkel who is my backup midfield and Kazakhstani so he provides me cover in my restrictive league fixtures when it comes to foreigners. Vorogovskii is my starting ML so he is a big loss. He is also a promising midfielder so this really hurts his development and growth for me.

SPRING LEAGUE TABLE.
dkQASMF.png

18 matches into 2017 and we're undefeated. Our draw was against Ordabasy in the early stages so it is very much removed from mind. Alternating Denilson and Luka Jovic has proven fruitful as both are very good in the Complete Forward role I use up top of my Asymetrical formation.

SPRING LEAGUE RESULTS.
kGhMn6c.jpg

It should also be noted that the arrival of strong forwards has breathed new life into my RW and Ulan Konysbaev has reaped the benefits, already contributing 10 goals and 9 assists across all competition in 21 starts. He's averaging 7.75 during those 21 matches, much higher than he previous two seasons' averages of of 7.04 and 6.72. This makes me feel much better, knowing that bringing in the improved quality has helped across the entire formation.

SPRING LEAGUE OVERVIEW.
L5Tjcrd.jpg

Again, Ulan Konysbaev is tied for first in goals, with Luka Jovic and Denilson both tied for third with 9. Ulan also tied for second in assists. He's just having a career year for us and proving his value as a Kazakhstan national in my league where that is so important. As you can see from the injury table, I've been one of the luckier sides to avoid injuries, though my depth is sorely tested right now.

SPRING CUP RESULTS.
Y97TJs4.png

Very different results from the last two years' cups where we struggled for goals and struggled to put opponents away. With our renewed energy and ability up top, Denilson and Luka Jovic have contributed 5 of the 9 goals in our Cup campaign. My youth product Schmidt also bagged a goal in our last cup fixture, not only giving us a non-foreign option when my fixture list was thick but also providing a goal.

SPRING SQUAD.
cFQX9mi.jpg

Much more quality in my side, that much is obvious. My concern is that almost all of it is foreign and that spells trouble for me in my domestic campaign. I've been excited by the development of Maksim Fedin into a quality AMC but at 21 it appears he may have reached his potential ceiling to a degree and so I hope participating in European matches will give him some extra quality to be with us for a very long time.

Done really well and it looks like you have a great squad. Out of interest how long does it take for someone to nationalise as Kazak

Also what are the foreign player rules in Kazakhstan

Last edited:
Done really well and it looks like you have a great squad. Out of interest how long does it take for someone to nationalise as Kazak

Also what are the foreign player rules in Kazakhstan
It varies for some players, apparently.

For Marko Grujic, it's 1080 days. He has 745 already so I have hopes he will go unnoticed by Serbia.

For Nemanja Maksimovic, it says 916 days and he has 909 already. I am very excited he can become an Kazakhstan citizen and play for us.

acbkYsrgpNM.jpg

KAZAKHSTAN
2017 SUMMER LEAGUE UPDATE.

Been busy so I haven't been able to post updates. A question was asked about nationalizing in Kazakhstan. It takes 5 years. Also, the question regarding foreign player rules. In the League and Cup, you may only register 7 foreign players, only 5 of which can be in your starting 11. You must have 1 Under-21 in your starting 11 and 2 total Under-21s in your matchday squad. Other than that, you can do what you please.

Now here we go.

2017 LEAGUE SPLITS.
hIBProd.png

As you can see, the league has split after Fixture 22 and we play the last 10 matches against the top 10 only. We've been insanely dominant, once again not losing and our Goal Difference just insane.

2017 INJURIES.
fv1QrWe.png

J4ZM7IR.png

AYRmB3q.png

T3Chhy3.png

GQgzbAb.png

A rash of injuries over the Summer have hit me hard, including 4-5 months for Mataev, the future of Kazakhstan football and a growing talent. This is his second injury in two years so I'm getting slightly worried.

2017 LEAGUE RESULTS.
ZmBcBL2.png

MBuWqnc.png

We won the league, undefeated again. 3 more draws showed that we struggled a bit with fixture congestion but overall we did very well. Also, just looking over the results, it was very encouraging to see the high goal difference. My new striker tandem has been scoring goals like crazy.

2017 LEAGUE WON.
YditCr9.png

vMUlDnk.png

League won and quickly top the Kazakhstan Hall of Fame. No big deal :)

mQORetp.png

Some stuff going on in my league and on the Kazakhstan international scene.

fKrQLib.png

6MejKk0.png

Aktobe getting taken over is very encouraging as I hope they get flushed with cash to compete in Europe and bring more talent to the league.

2017 CONTRACT.
MPUTZcp.jpg

Extended my contract at the lowest wages as I try not to be a burden on our finances. Nice to know I'll be kept around for another 4 years! Four more years of glory, to be sure.

Still not the end of my season as Champions League runs all the way up until the start of 2018 in February-March 2018. Coming very soon :)

acbkYsrgpNM.jpg

KAZAKHSTAN
2017 KAZAKHSTAN CUP UPDATE.

The Kazakhstan Cup has become a bit of a joke for me. My board doesn't care about it and I regularly rotate heavily. And yet is comes so easily. You'll see :)

2017 KAZAKHSTAN CUP SEMI-FINAL.
1YFsTyF.png

Complete domination. I didn't have a screenshot from the first leg. But it was destruction. My new forward Luka Jovic showing his stripes and bagging two goals in the first 13 minutes. My rejuvinated RW Ulan Konysbaev put another away a bit later to put the final nail in the coffin. Spartak Semey never posed a threat and were dispatched easily.

2017 KAZAKHSTAN CUP FINAL DRAW.
3vK9Yu1.png

Not a threat at all. At this point, the cup is a cakewalk.

2017 KAZAKHSTAN CUP FINAL.
yKWA6Sp.png

Not even close. 5 players get on the board as we dominated throughout. Ordabasy managed a few shots and a bit of possession but nothing too serious and we stomped them heavily.

2017 DOUBLE.
nq0u4z9.png

2017 KAZAKHSTAN CUP RESULTS.
kSekuEl.png

Not a single goal allowed for the entire Cup run. Like I said previously, the Cup has become a bit of a joke and I use a heavily rotated squad with quite a few youth players as well. Doesn't seem to change the results much

I'll be posting my Champions League Update for 2017 soon :)

acbkYsrgpNM.jpg

KAZAKHSTAN
2017 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE UPDATE.

2017 CL 3RD ROUND DRAW.
hdvzWxN.png

An interesting draw but one that I feel I can easily take. Nothing against FK Sarajevo but I think my quality results in previous CL Group Stages against stronger competition show that I am above these guys.

2017 CL 3RD ROUND RESULTS.
WdUxBh2.png

Can't find the first image of the first leg. Won that 1-0 and ended up only advancing due to Away Goals. Not what I was expecting. My new strikers were off target and I required goals from my AMC and MC in both legs to advance. Not a good sign of what is to come.

2017 CL PLAYOFF DRAW.
8sftys2.png

My old nemesis Celtic. Drawn as the home side so hopefully I can get off on a good foot and head to Scotland with the advantage. We've beat them before, let's see if we can do it again.

2017 CL PLAYOFF RESULTS.
Tf8hcON.png

GPlQ2Vq.png

What a scary first leg. Celtic held me scoreless and, again, I was very worried that I had lost the plot and my CL journey was over. However, headed into Glasgow and Luka Jovic repaid my investment in him with a HUGE goal to send us to the Group Stages. Quite seriously a 15-20m goal from Jovic there.

2017 CL GROUP STAGE DRAW.
x9nHTqv.png

An interesting group. Scared, to be honest. Napoli is strong, Dortmund is quality and Shakhtar is Shakhtar. Consistently dangerous. I doubt I'll get more than a draw or two here and so I go into these Group Stages with the goal of stealing a win and a few draws to up my co-efficient.

2017 CL GROUP STAGE RESULTS.
vMkDNw5.png

STUNNED! What a result! 50/50 possession and equal shots on target. Our pressure on their back line and counter-attacking caught them regularly out of position. What a stunning result for us.

8hokjj7.png

Ismaily took player of the match against his former club, showing Shakhtar what they were missing.

eWp4jpy.png

What is going on? Away at Dortmund and we hold on for a great draw! Dortmund dominated possession and had 19 shots to our 7 but we were able to equalize before the half-time break and hold on for an excrutiating 50+ minutes.

eWp4jpy.png

Surprisingly, the hardest match of our group stages so far we drew undeservedly. Only an early own-goal from Napoli gave us a point. Surprisingly, we dominated possession this match with 64% and equal amount of shots on goal. But Napoli seemed better the entire match and we were very wasteful up front.

Note, I didn't get a screen shot of the second match against Napoli that would follow this. We drew 1-1 again in Astana Arena, Jovic getting a goal in the 71st minute after we were down 0-1 since a 49th minute goal from Paco Alcacer. Again, I dominated possession against a surprisingly weaker Napoli side.

d8Hu5BT.png

Another stunning victory against Shakhtar that seemed too good to be true. Shakhtar held most of the possession at 57% and had 27 shots to our 5! But we countered effectively and took our chances bravely.

wnmE1EL.png

nfYrHHH.png

Clinched a place in the Knockout Round. Now it's time to close out my Group Stages but we crashed hard against Dortmund. They dominated with 63% possession and just picked us apart, Reus being particularly effective and we had no answer for him.

2017 CL KNOCKOUT ROUND DRAW.
1yHFc2F.png

A very rough draw. Atletico Madrid is a strong, disciplined side that can compete with the best of them. I had hopes of grabbing a better draw but my best bet is to try my hardest. We've had a dream 2017 Champions League and truly showed that anything is possible.

2017 CL KNOCKOUT ROUND RESULTS.
kT7BSZW.png

First Leg

Another fabulous result. I didn't expect us to compete and we were even with Atletico throughout. Possession was 51/49 in favor of us and shots on goal were 9/12 in Atletico's favor. The real piece to take note of was that we had 3 clear cut chances while Atletico had 1. Very disappointed we couldn't leave with a victory here but I have hopes we can head to Madrid and put in a good result. Maksim Fedin also putting the goal in. He has become class for us and a regular starter in our 11.

IQzjtnD.png

Second Leg

Pure disappointment. Atletico put 26 shots at our keeper and we could'nt help ourselves. We had the possession at 57/43 in our favor but Atletico's quality just outshined us. Maksim Fedin scored once we were down 4-0 to make me feel a bit better but not by much. I knew I wouldn't go passed this round but to go our in such an embarrassing fashion was very eye-opening. We have a long way to go.

2017 CL RESULTS.
EFm3fQI.png

xDYp6CJ.png

A final update for 2017 will be coming as I touch on the End of the Season and some highlights, news and more. Soon :)

acbkYsrgpNM.jpg

KAZAKHSTAN
2017 END OF SEASON UPDATE.
T9Yep5Y.png

Wsi0Ntc.jpg

What a year 2017 was for us. Our first trip outside the Champions League Group Stages, though we were embarrassed in the end by an overpowering Atletico Madrid side. Another dominant triumph in the League, going undefeated for the second season in a row. And winning the Double by taking the Kazakhstan Cup without allowing a single goal and a total goal difference of 17-0.

2017 UNDEFEATED.
Ut7R9ws.png

41hFsNQ.png

The second year in a row. We've completely destroyed our domestic opposition and pacified the Sup League du Kazakhstan.

2017 AWARDS AND BEST ELEVEN.
Z5Rzgxa.jpg

0agthFU.jpg

Though he moved into more of a depth role where he was used in the league to keep my squad rotated and he played less matches, Merkel still took Fans Player of the Season. Maksim Fedin picked up Goal of the Season and Young Player of the Season. And the emerging Branislav Stanojevic, who moved into more of an important role as the season rolled on, took Signing of the Season.

Merkel took the ML position in my Team of the Season having NEVER played there all season. Marrone played almost the entire year as a CB in the Ball Playing role yet didn't make my Team of the Season surprisingly. The young Ivory Coast RB Franck Konan also played almost the entire season at RB, surplanting Startsev and yet he didn't make Team of the Season either.

Overall Best Eleven with some interesting choices. No doubt Luka Jovic will take over that all-time forward position soon.

2017 END OF SEASON REPORTS.
VU9ULgG.jpg

p8AG7Nc.png

A few nice changes in commercial revenue with new sponsors and such. Very encouraging.

jfRVHEH.jpg

The injury report shows that my squad didn't avoid injuries as much as I had thought or felt. The hardest name to see on that list being Mataev, my youth star and the future of Kazakhstan international football. Out 2 months and another 3 months to go before he'll be back. Just utterly damaging to his career.

IHWiP9B.png

An interesting development on the international scene as the media claims there is a sizable Astana bias in the Kazakhstan international side. That bias should only grow if my efforts work out as I hope.

Well, that closes my 2017 season. A huge push in Champions League showed that we're headed in the right direction. I don't have many plans for my squad heading into 2018 other than to let them develop and see how that goes. I can't see myself opening my pocket book for any kind of transfer unless it was a huge player (most likely foreign) or a top Kzakhstan international (I have all of them). So I'll just be developing my youth, working on my facilities to get to the highest quality facilities, build up my bank account a bit more and focus on growing internally. If an opportunity to grab a foreigner who I think will change my club for the best, I will take it. Otherwise, my squad will mostly stay the same for 2017.

2018 coming soon :)