KAZAKHSTAN: Cultural Learnings of Football Manager for Make Benefit Glorious Nation

acbkYsrgpNM.jpg

KAZAKHSTAN
Cultural Learnings of Football Manager for Make Benefit Glorious Nation

2019 LEAGUE SPRING UPDATE.
qMNjm1b.png

Good morning, 2019! The league start is here and we are so excited, for many reasons. I am excited because the start to the league will be my 200th match coaching ASTANA. May I coach another 200 and more!

FnVnOJz.png

Ah, first game, first injury. This is no good. Especially to such a key player. Luckily, how European football falls, I won't be starting my 2019 CL until mid-summer during the qualification stages.

2019 SPRING SQUAD.
vhWTjG0.jpg

Just my starting squad. Still inconsistent in terms of the spread of quality and a massive bias in terms of foreign talent. But I have to compete in Europe and so foreign talent is needed.

NYNiSgB.jpg

nwl5LoL.png

21piuu3.jpg

C9GaVON.png

T45x5Jb.png

Oh my goodness, throughout this spring we really got rocked with injuries. Most of these were spread out but if I had to note one it was the 6-7 month broken leg that will probably cause me to shift to a new formation. Ian Vorogovskii is my starting ML in my assymetrical formation and with him out, I don't think that formation is viable. I have a youth product who can fill but he is below average currently.

2019 SPRING RESULTS.
F8j9cFK.png

Even with the plague of injuries hitting us throughout this early season, our depth and quality will see us through as we almost win every match to the first half of the season. But, the close matches show that our depth is near the breaking point as there were too many 1-0 matches for my liking. By the midseason point, our top three scorers are Luka Jovic with 6, youth product and savior Aleksandr Garkusha with 5 and towering defender Mark Gurman with 3.

rlDew2j.jpg

And, along the way, we've gone 110 matches in the league undefeated. Truly a remarkable achievement.

Looking at the start of our league campaign, there are positives for sure. We've gone undefeated for 110 matches and we're cruising towards another championship to add to our cabinet. Even with a string of injuries, we're pushing towards the summer and the coming shadow of Champions League football.

As always, more to come :)

acbkYsrgpNM.jpg

KAZAKHSTAN

2019 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE.

Here we go. The reason we play the game, the reason ASTANA drives through the mud that is our garbage league. European Champions League!

For the last season, we must push through the Third Round Qualification process. Starting next year, winning the Kazakh league will see us right into the Playoff Round.

2019 THIRD ROUND DRAW.
UkfYD4Z.png

Not too difficult a draw. I am supremely confident here. We've battled the likes of Dortmund, Shakhtar and Manchester United. Surely, a club like Atvidabergs FF should be no challenge.

2019 THIRD ROUND RESULTS.
s6Y2Lgv.png

udn8wsF.png

As anticipated, not much of a challenge. 4 assists from Luka Jovic and a stunning hattrick from Ulan Konysbaev see us head to the comfy confines of ASTANA with a 4 away goal advantage. The score could've been so much more as we had 6 clear chances and pounded their defense all night to the tune of 29 shots. Merkel also had a massive performance in the midfield for us. As always. His ratings say one thing but his results are always so good.

i9uYdj2.png

30NVKVj.png

And we put the Third Round to bed, finishing off this qualification round with a clean sheet in front of 10k of our fans. Luka Jovic, who else, put us ahead in the 24th minute and the Serbian youth Milos Vidic finished the match off with two more later on and we head to the Champions League Playoff very encouraged by this performance.

2019 PLAYOFF DRAW.
Lb8EBCk.jpg

A very dangerous draw. Possibly the hardest of the Playoff. The Croatian champions and a powerful club in their own right, Dinamo will not be an easy test and not for the first time I worry if this might be the year we don't make the Group Stages.

2019 PLAYOFF RESULTS.
dbvXSSA.jpg

M6jPSSp.jpg

As expected, a hard fought match that saw Dinamo dominate possession and pin us back in our own end for long stretches of time. Yet our new formation and counter-attacking football was able to spring an attack in the 66th minute and it was a cross from Mataev that ended up hitting the Dimano striker who was back on defense and it going into the Croatian goal. Not the way we anticipated this first match and I left Zagreb feeling very tense. This was not what we expected heading into the Playoffs and I am almost certain the final match in front of our own fans will be a test of our character as a club.

JcLC1GO.jpg

IHs8isx.jpg

What a change in the story! A foolish defensive mistake in the 3rd minute and Dinamo was up 1-0. Effectively an equalizer. Pushing us forward, we worked and worked when youngster Alimzhan Mataev crushed home a stunning 23 yard volley, getting us back in the lead and knowing we were lucky. From that point onwards, it was a tense affair with both sides being extremely protective of the ball and passing cautiously. I wasn't about to play like a true Italian and sit back with the lead. No, I pushed us onwards (perhaps foolishly) looking to extend the lead and it was a back and forth match up-to and after the halftime whistle. The deadlock was broken just passed the hour mark as Dinamo hit us on the counter and punished us with a fluke goal. Our defenders crumbled under the pressure and we were down 2-2 on AG at this point. Trying to ralley the club, I brought Garkusha on for the AMC Maksimovic and his speed and vision paid off instantly and in the 70th minute, Grujic showed his quality, receiving a cross from Ismaily and pounding it home, propelling us into the Group Stages and sending shivers up my spine. I was so convinced this would be the end of my club's years of making the Group Stages and Dinamo was very close to making that fear a reality but one substitution and a moment of brilliance by Ismaily saw us through!

On to the Group Stages and more to come :)

amazing so far! Are you planning to switch teams or are you staying with Astana?

amazing so far! Are you planning to switch teams or are you staying with Astana?
Thanks! At this point, I plan on sticking with Astana for the long term. I don't see much reason to leave them currently or in the future. Maybe at some point.

acbkYsrgpNM.jpg

KAZAKHSTAN

2019 CUP UPDATE.

Though I truly hate being overconfident, the Kazakh Cup is a joke. We rotate heavily and win even more heavily. Nevertheless, it's a trophy and allows our youth to get some appearances.

2019 CUP THIRD ROUND.
CrodiD4.png

CQTdxtH.png

Our crosstown rivals. Sadly, not even a challenge. As you can see, a pretty heavily rotated squad saw us through with the legend Alexander Merkel getting PoM. Our 3 subs, between the 57-62 minutes were our three best players hahaha

2019 CUP QUARTERFINALS.
uvEQGJK.png

5r24JB4.jpg

Another quick match with a heavily rotated squad. The youngster Garkusha grabbed a goal after being given the starting nod.

2019 CUP SEMIFINALS.
axhTwmh.png

Nothing to be too worried about. We'll rotate again and put this trophy in the cabinet.

U9Zxchv.png

v7wl2tx.png

Haha, or not! Wow, yes, we were on the road, but still no reason why this match was this close. And we barely rotated due to how the schedule fell. Merkel with another PoM but Garkusha was completely ineffective as my starting forward and we were lacking. In the end, half the squad was rotated, especially in defense were all 4 of our starters sat but that is no excuse.

5bIrQru.png

dL8yQBw.png

Much better! I still rotated, sitting Ismaily and two other defenders but Luka Jovic got the starting bid and he proved his worth (as usual) netting once and providing two assists. On to the final once again!

2019 CUP FINALS.
3udATNM.png

ilEdnmh.png

The story of this Cup victory was how close this final was. I rotated, as usual, resting three of my four defenders, sitting Stanojevic, and sitting Cesar. Nevertheless, I'd expect Luka Jovic to score against this kind of opposition. Still, the Cup was won and the trophy returned to ASTANA. Regardless of how pretty it looked.

Thanks for reading and more to come, maybe with a bit of an international flavor :)

• acbkYsrgpNM.jpg

KAZAKHSTAN

2019 INTERNATIONAL UPDATE.
    2ESrJtQ.jpg

zkVXYUC.png

As you can see from our national profile, since I took over at ASTANA, the nation of Kazakhstan has gone from the 130s to the 90s. That's just the beginning. We've got Euro qualification groups this year and some Under 21 and 19 action.

As the season progresses and the various international breaks occur, I'm grabbing results and information to show how Kazakhstan is progressing as a nation. If you'd like to see some specifically, let me know and I'll grab that information in the form of a screen grab for you!

2019 UNDER 19 RESULTS.
    Ovrs7HA.jpg

kieSUrd.jpg

I didn't grab too many screens of the Under 19s in action as they're too inconsistent. I did find these two victories pretty nice, especially Wales, and I have hopes my developing youth academy will soon fill the Under 19s with stars for many years to come!

2019 UNDER 21 RESULTS.
    eSZ6JMS.jpg

3qnUZgI.png

Similar to the Under 19s, not many stand-out performances from my Under 21s though two good matches stood out. Both featured my youth stars bagging goals and show that all signs are pointing up for Kazakhstan.

2019 SENIOR RESULTS.

The real meat of this update. Euros qualification groups are ahead for the seniors.

fBAntY7.png

A tough group, definitely, with France and Turkey being the big heavyweights of the four opponents. Belarus and Albania won't be slouches either and will provide us with good competition to gauge our improvement. I know we won't advance too far here and, not being the coach, I don't really care yet. But I still hope for Kazakh great success.

RHAtDQY.png

cZRp5sQ.png

KcjTASR.png

Ecatx9Z.png

w8N99y1.jpg

DDjB2wG.png

kuJifvL.png

cVZQR7i.jpg

Not much good going on in 2019 for the Kazakh national side. 6 losses and a single draw against Belarus show we are still very VERY far off from being a successful national side. Still, even in the losses, there are some positives. Holding France to 1-0 is decent and Garkusha scored 3 goals throughout all seven games, with Fedin pitching in with one himself.

Not much to say but there's only one way up from this. The Kazakhstan national committee needs to fire this Russian coach and hire me. I don't know how to say I'm interested in his job but I am and need to get that spot.

acbkYsrgpNM.jpg

KAZAKHSTAN

2019 LEAGUE SUMMER.
GIxLaMf.png

Summer is here and the tail end of the Super League du Kazakhstan is here. The league has split and we're getting ready for our final push for the championship. We don't have much further to go in terms of locking down our sixth title in a row so I'm sure we'll know soon enough.

xihUO1N.png

It wouldn't be summer in Kazakhstan without some lengthy injury to one of our players and 2019 is no different. Merkel, my Kazakh international and club rotation regular, has a nasty injury with a lengthy heal time. This will test my depth more than ever as he was a regular in my Cup and League fixtures where my club has foreign player restrictions. Here's hoping this doesn't effect him too much and he comes back stronger than ever.

8hNiLae.png

A sad day but I just couldn't find space in my crowded midfield for the Lemina. He came to us on a free one year earlier but I was sad to see him go. He conducted himself admirably for us and I wish him nothing but the best. 1.5m also was a nice little fee to receive in cash for one year of rotation from Lemina. I wish him the best in England.

2019 LEAGUE SUMMER RESULTS.
yff5KhJ.png

Never in doubt, our summer results show our continued domestic dominance. And, although we've been undefeated since our first season domestically, that doesn't change the fact that many matches are close. That is mainly due to our rotation during the clogged fixture lists of Champions League and Cup.

Summer scoring champion was Luka Jovic with 12 goals, followed by Ulan Konysbaev with 8.

4jJ37tT.jpg

Tzg802J.png

We've made it 6 championships in a row! Our fifth in a row undefeated. Luka Jovic had a slow start to the league with 4 goals in the Spring portion but he closed 2019 strong, bagging 12 goals in the last 18 matches.

gEnFtFo.png

goG9yja.png

Again, fifth season in a row undefeated domestically. It's getting easier and easier, as expected.

With that, we put a close on our 2019 season. Still Champions League football to be played for 2019 and plenty more to come :)

acbkYsrgpNM.jpg

KAZAKHSTAN

2019 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP STAGE.
qwJCXqp.jpg

What a group! Three strong opponents, including my own favorite JUVENTUS! I had hopes of advancing to the Knockout Round once again or even dropping to Europa League but after seeing this draw, I highly doubt that is possible. Tottenham is the richest club in the world currently and will probably remain such. Wolfsburg has been successfully challenging Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga for a few years and are closing the gap in terms of quality with Bayern. And Juventus has won 2 of the last 4 Champions League while running the table in Serie A. I think my road ends here.

tG84wsd.png

And the odds aren't too kind in terms of my chances. I was more shocked to see JUVENTUS with such low odds. Tottenham, as you can see by their odds, is considered the 6th best club in this years Champions League, a second seed only due to Chelsea grabbing the Premier League and being higher rated. So 2 of the top 6 are in my group. Yay for me!

2019 GROUP STAGE MATCH ONE.
PVkhlgC.png

yuboraK.png

The only surprise here was how close the match seemed. To lose 2-0 against the champions of Italy is nothing to be ashamed about.

And, just looking at the score, you'd think it wasn't too much of a blowout. Well, let's look at the stats. 38 shots for JUVENTUS and 5 for my boys. Ouch. 64% pass completion for ASTANA compared to 83% for JUVENTUS. That awful inability to hold onto the ball leads directly to our poor possession of 36% to JUVENTUS' 64%. This match was a blowout in everything but the scoreline. Not too surprising.

2019 GROUP STAGE MATCH TWO.
P7fwZFL.png

IHu41tx.png

I couldn't have been happier at this result, though it was at home and therefore our best chance at stopping Tottenham. The result in England won't be so kind no doubt. More interesting was the fact that we held the English giants scoreless for over an hour.

Digging deeper into the match statistics, the game was much closer than the previous one against JUVENTUS. We were outshot once again but this time Tottenham was woefully wasteful, managing only 6 shots on target of their 17 and, from those 6, only one clear cut chance. Our counter-attack game was executed to perfection, countering for a total of four shots and three clear chances, a 75% rate! Watching this match and seeing my counter-attacks hitting to perfection, my first thought was, "We should be winning this!" and I ended with the same thought. This had victory written all over it. Nevertheless, we were still wasteful in possession due to our poor passing game and that hurt us in the end.

Still, we stood tall at home and held the English giants to a draw and grabbed ourselves a point while Wolfsburg were destroyed by JUVENTUS and left without a point. We find ourselves third after two matches!

2019 GROUP STAGE MATCH THREE.
PFWAs9Z.png

7faZGns.png

I left this match so utterly happy. We traveled to Volkswagen Arena and left with a point, standing strong against another barrage of shots for 90 minutes. This story was very different from last match as we clearly should've lost this. More possession, a few more shots but our defense was full of holes and Wolfsburg had maybe 6 clear cut chances though the game didn't record them as such. Wolfsburg was so wasteful in front of goal that they were no doubt kicking themselves for this failure. On a good note, our passing game improved and with it our possession which led to a few more shots on target.

Three matches, two points and still third place. I have hopes of perhaps qualifying for Europa and getting some of those sweet sweet coefficient points!

2019 GROUP STAGE MATCH FOUR.
OKRJjpb.png

MJ3d0sS.png

OH MY GOODNESS! Poor, stupid Wolfsburg. Poor, stupid Gustavo! The midfielder truly doomed his club in this match as our midfield frustrated him from the start and pressed him often. He was utterly incapable of maintaining possession as Stanojevic and Maksimovic pressed him all match and he gave up possession for Wolfsburg constantly. This, in turn, led to him fouling in return to regain possession.

DWdshPS.png

However the big story of this match was the ascendance of Aleksandr Garkusha and his immaculate substitution. Nearing the 60th minute and not making much headway into the Wolfsburg end, at the 56th minute I made the daring call to bring out Kazakh international and starting AMC Maksim Fedin for the youth academy starlet Garkusha. Thirteen minutes later, Garkusha repaid my trust in spades, blasting the ball into the goal and giving us the lead. His goal started in the midfield on a mistake by Gustavo and an assist by another youth product in Mataev.

But Garkusha wasn't finished. And neither was Gustavo. In the 72nd minute, seconds after losing possession AGAIN, the midfielder took out his frustration on Stanojevic and was shown his second yellow. Heading to the showers, Gustavo had to have known he gifted us this match. As time ticked away, we pushed further and further forwards, looking for that key second goal that would all but guarantee our victory. That guarantee would come in stoppage time as another substitute and academy product in Serbian midfielder Miroslav Stepanovic bagged a great goal off a deft throughball from none other than GARKUSHA!

The stands erupted, all 13,365 fan on their feet screaming and the players danced around, knowing these three points would be so key to any chance of continued European football this year.

2019 GROUP STAGE MATCH FIVE.
dE995Ld.png

DKKBeWV.png

Fresh off our exhilirating victory at home against Wolfsburg earlier, the stars of JUVENTUS came into town and they brought with them their proficient attack and undefeated swagger.

Things went about as expected and the high from the Wolfsburg match quickly dissipated. JUVENTUS was ruthless, Dybala scoring early and mercilessly on a header off of a mistake from our midfield teacher and worthless one Tarantini.

From then on, JUVENTUS and I battled it out in the midfield, Grujic and Marrone (against his boyhood club, no less) fighting like maniacs against the likes of Claudio Marchisio and Paul Pogba. And the 1-0 deficit remained until exactly the hour mark when Serbian youngster Milos Vidic took a volley from 16 yards out and smashed it into the JUVENTUS goal. I won't lie. I had hopes in that moment of stayed close, bringing the game to a quiet draw, but JUVENTUS wasn't finished with us yet. Another mistake on defense, this time from Kazakh Mark Gurman gifted Malcom with the ball and the Brazilian wasted no time in banging it home. A typical Paul Pogba finish twelve minutes later made all our hard work look a little less sufficient.

But there were good things from this match. Between matches 1 and 5, JUVENTUS went from 38 shots to 17. Their possession dropped from 64% to 55%. Our passing game, growing since the start of European football, ended at a 78% compared to 64% the first time we crossed paths with the Italian champions.

We left this match saddened but with some happiness.

WNL97PF.png

Second place! We have one more date with Tottenham and were praying for JUVENTUS to destroy Wolfsburg. A draw or win in England and we were through into the Group Stages!

From this group?! What a moment for our club. We have a massive 90 minutes ahead of us but with a strong defensive result, I knew we would see the fruits of our labor come to fruition.

2019 GROUP STAGE MATCH SIX.
AYLsBnV.png

qLzDZhq.png

WE DID IT! WE DID IT!

What a match! And, shockingly enough, we left the match saying "We should've won that!" Three clear cut chances that broke my heart! Sadly, we were a bit sloppy in terms of possession and that did us no favors but our defense were MASSIVE! 89% tackles won with 33 of 37! And a backline with ratings of 7.2, 7.0, 7.3, and 6.9 showed how those men stood up for us!

I couldn't be more happy with this result and advancing to the knockout stages.

PBgIz8C.png

fpPwRgZ.png

rAV65Ap.png

Second place and Knockout Round Qualification while having a negative goal difference. That stand from our defense in matchday six will go down as one of the most nailbiting moments of my campaign to date. With a date in the Knockout Round, there will definitely be more to come, friends :)

Really good job getting out of the group stage especially given the quality in the group. The backline looks very solid against some top class attacking players

Your story is amazing. I wish you continue the great job. Good Luck!

Really good job getting out of the group stage especially given the quality in the group. The backline looks very solid against some top class attacking players
Thank you, kind sir! It was a pretty spectacular feeling getting out of that group, I'll tell you. The backline has been putting in the hard work, no doubt!
Your story is amazing. I wish you continue the great job. Good Luck!
Cheers, thanks for reading. Trying hard to be a great success.

acbkYsrgpNM.jpg

KAZAKHSTAN

2019 END OF SEASON.
8AnePr1.jpg

cpHsoXW.png

A0oBO9C.jpg

Commercially, we continue to grow a bit, along with new sponsorships coming in. Our jersey sales are also growing and that makes me feel better as our club reputation, league reputation and player reputation grows.

In terms of our bank account and finances, another season, another profit. Only a 2m drop in profit but with the new contracts I've written for our stars and the quality of our club increasing, that 2m decrease could be attributed to wages alone. I'm not worried. A healthy 78m in the bank, waiting for a rainy day also.

qZwuEvg.jpg

VcIY6sZ.jpg

Merkel continues to be our Fans Player of the Season, even though he featured sparingly due to a horrific injury that kept him out over six months. Stanojevic entered our All-Time Best Elevent list as a substitute and will no doubt go higher on that list in the coming years!

EoPrcZd.jpg

What a year for Luka Jovic and Ismaily. Jovic bagged another Kazakh Golden Boot and Ismaily grabbed the Highest Average Rating, Most Assists and Most Player of the Match awards. Funnily enough, Ismaily tied for the most POTM awards with our RW youth product out on loan in Alibek Maslenov. Looks like he'll be coming back next year after such a strong showing out on loan.

cjzaXFK.jpg

A rough season in terms of broken legs. Both Alexander Merkel and Ian Vorogovskii broke legs, Merkel's also for 6-7 months but only 6 weeks of that period falling in our 2019 season. A string of injuries across our youth and reserves as well as some small ones hitting our squad. Some minor strains throughout the year to the likes of Marko Grujic, Maksim Fedin, Alimzhan Mataev, Luka Jovic, Branislav Stanojevic, and Milos Vidic. Thankfully, only a few major injuries but in no way a clean bill of health.

2019 REPUTATION INCREASES.
MAEM580.png

And our reputation continues to grow, moving up 5 places into the Top 50 clubs in Europe at 48th.

xrB2Ec1.png

To go along with out continued growth as a club, the Super League du Kazakhstan broke the Top 20, sitting pretty at 19th.

2019 YOUTH INTAKE.
btE18G8.jpg

What a great intake. Finally, some studs are coming up the ranks. Another striker to perhaps compliment Garkusha and also a LB that fits in with my backline of Kazakh youth already in development. I am so excited by this year's intake. Here are the overviews of the top two products of this year's intake:

ShsJ0ef.jpg

IzMOQIB.jpg

2019 SQUADS.
rz3I0Jq.jpg

1SLbQYX.jpg

nIMwIhx.jpg

Lots of wanted players and lots of foreign talent in my Reserves. Many of those foreigners are young enough that they haven't been capped by their nations and I'm holding out hope that they will represent Kazakhstan in a few years. Specifically Serbian strikers Milos Jovic and Vladan Kostic who are both huge for our reserves side! Kostic alone had 17 goals in 21 appearances for our Reserve side as the reserves won the Reserve League and went undefeated.

With that, we will draw the curtain closed on our 2019 League and Cup. Still some fun times in the Knockout Stages of the Champions League and so, while 2019 is coming to a close, we'll have some 2019 updates mixed into our 2020 season as we finished up the 2019 Champions League!

More to come :)

acbkYsrgpNM.jpg

KAZAKHSTAN

Before I start with the Preseason for 2020, I'm going to touch on how the Kazakhstan league falls in terms of the calander in hopes that I can make it a bit clearer. It gets funny this year as the 2020 season starts and I'm still in the 2019 Champions League so I hope this timeline provides some clarity so you can understand how my league overlaps.

The Super League du Kazakhstan begins with the preseason friendlies in mid-to-late January, depending on when I want my squad to come back.
Jan: Preseason Starts, Transfer Window Starts
Feb: League Starts, Previous Year Champions League Knockout Stages Start
Mar: Cup Starts
Apr - May: League and Cup run, Champions League QF-SF run
June: League Splits, Champions League Final
July: Transfer Window Starts
Aug: Champions League Qualification Starts
Sept - Oct: League runs, Cup QF-SF run, Champions League Qualification ends, Champions League Group Stages
Nov: League ends, Cup Final, Champions League Group Stages run
Dec: Champions League Group Stage end

I hope that provides some clarity. This year, you'll see how my 2019 season ended but my 2019 Champions Leauge run has continued. So, as I moved into my 2020 season in February, I also have my 2019 Champions League Knockout Round starting. This provides some fixture congestion and some interesting matches but I have done it once already.

I wanted to clarify because I don't want to do my updates where I do all the 2019 Champions League matches and results even though I'm into 2020. I want to keep it as chronological as possible so you can see how they fall in my season. So I will be starting my 2020 Pre-season and Season and then giving a Champions League update (or two) in between.

Cheers!

2020 PRESEASON.
2tSbKcE.jpg

0R8dPMV.jpg

Bw8Hwni.jpg

My concern continues as you can see the top ten players in my squad are foreigners. Some are nationalizing very soon (Maksimovic and Grujic specifically) and that gives me hope. Also, the quality already coming up from my youth ranks and academy show promise. Since starting in 2015, Aleksandr Garkusha (ST, AMC), Alimzhan Mataev (AMC), and Valerii Shibalaev (RB) have broken into my main squad and rotate often if not start. Mataev and Garkusha start almost every week now and have basically replaced Maksim Fedin as the starting AMC in my formation. I even went so far as to change my formation now to be more centrally powerful and to allow my quality AMC's feature together. This change in formation is not an abandoning of the Asymmetrical 4-1-2-2-1 but it has replaced it in Europe as my main formation. In Kazakhstan, I still use the Asymmetrical formation as I don't have enough non-foreign talent to fit it (specifically midfielders). But, as I develop more Kazakh midfielders, the Asymmetrical formation will be set aside as more of a backup formation when my squad can be applied to it.

hUm0fhU.png

One of the happier moments. Branislav Stanojevic, my star who has been unhappy and eager to flee Kazakhstan for over two years, finally appreciates the quality growth in our league and club and has decided to stay. I quickly tied him down to a contract, putting a player on a 100k/week contract for the first time ever. After getting him to sign, I decided on a new rule. Only one player earning over 100k/week. Even as my finances improve, I don't want a squad of 100k/week players. Only one.

Still, I locked him down for 5 years and added a 3 year contract extension for the club as well. A hefty release clause also was inserted and I hope this means Stanojevic will be here a very long time. Maybe forever? :)

izGqB4b.png

With the positive extension comes a bittersweet end. Luca Marrone (JUVENTUS youth) has departed after a nice fee was offered. He struggled to feature in my main squad and, as my formation changed, he featured even less. I have young centerbacks needing game time to reach their potential and a crowded midfield of better players. There was no room for him and his salary and, as such, he was returned to him homeland and Bari. I was sad to see him go as I had hopes he would be a legend here but unfortunately, as my club grew in quality, his lack of talent became apparent and his starts dried up. 2.1m was a nice fee for getting 2-3 years out of him.

cXDPAf0.jpg

With the new year and January comes new signings and boy did we buy. One Serbian came in, striker Milan Stepancev, with nice potential and hopes of him gaining Kazakhstan eligibility in five years. The rest were prospects and Kazakh youth to boost my academy, provide cover in my youth ranks, and a promising youngster in Alimzhan Aubakirov, a midfielder. I have no Kazakh midfielders so when I finally saw one arrive on the scene, I grabbed him up, paying a steep price of 650k. But he'll benefit from our quality academy, he's only 16 years old and he will have lots of chances to grow.

uuywksO.png

We're slowly increasing our fanbase, a 5.3% increase in season ticket sales. A long way to go to filling out 30k arena but every step forward is a step forward.

L3413Fp.png

It wouldn't be a preseason without an injury to one of our starters or best rotation options. Maksim Fedin once again goes down. He gets hurt yearly it seems and this year is no different.

abTqDy1.png

A new affiliate with a decent academy and facilities. Hopefully, I can see some Kazakh youth come from this link in the future.

tiJNlJW.png

Finally, another departure. As we moved away from the Asymmetrical formation, I part ways with a stalwart on my squad since the first year. Ian Vorogovskii was my ML from day one and featured heavily for us. Unfortunately, he doesn't have much potential or ability and merely filled a role I needed. He started many years for us though and his departure was not an easy decision. But I knew that leaving him to sit on my bench was no way to treat him, especially as other Kazakh sides need to improve as they compete in Europe. 1.5m was very good for what he offers and I couldn't pass up the offer, knowing he had no role in my new formation and his old role I'd rather give to promising academy products.

Other than that, our preseason was pretty quiet.

But ahead is February and the start to the Super League du Kazakhstan and the Knockout Round of the 2019 Champions League!

More to come :)

the new striker from youth intake looks amazing. Feel it's time to unleash Garkusha as your frontman though, just get rid of Jovic ;)

the new striker from youth intake looks amazing. Feel it's time to unleash Garkusha as your frontman though, just get rid of Jovic ;)
Yeah, the new youth striker looks promising.

And thanks for the advice! Luka Jovic is my first option at the moment but Garkusha has such fantastic finishing, he probably will supplant Luka Jovic as the starter very soon. Or I'll have to get creative and move to a two-striker formation.

acbkYsrgpNM.jpg

KAZAKHSTAN

2020 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE KNOCKOUT ROUND.

Here we go. The Knockout Round draw. I have hopes of perhaps getting lucky.

BLpnD7G.png

Oh deary me. Well, it was nice while it lasted.

FC Barcelona. One of the favorites of the Champions League and a powerhouse that needs no introduction.

We've been drawn as the home side to start so hopefully we can not get blown out in front of our fans in this one.

OTu3NUI.png

RpCe803.png

When that 2nd minute goal from Luis Suarez went into the goal, I had vision of our complete embarrassment.

Luka Jovic, the beast, the legend, responded quickly 14 minutes later, taking a sublime throughball from Alimzhan Mataev and slotting it passed the Barcelona keeper to bring the score to a tie.

Similar to our match against Wolfsburg in the Group Stages, I singled out the DMC of Barcelona in Sergio Busquets and was determined to see him stripped of possession. Hopefully, he wouldn't dive about clutching his face, peeking at the referee through his fingers.

Well, that strategy paid off once again, as Busquets was sent off early in the second half for persistant fouling. From that moment on, the match was a battle in the midfield with only 25 shots between our teams in total. We took the lions share of the possession and our spectacular tackling of 81% meant the match would play out to a draw. From the moment Busquets went off, Barcelona was helpless to mount many attacks.

In the end, it was a miraculous stand on our part and my entire squad did themselves proud in this match. Still, heading to the Camp Nou will be no easy task and I am still certain our chances are slim to none.

acbkYsrgpNM.jpg

KAZAKHSTAN

2019 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE KNOCKOUT ROUND.
x5xktEI.png

YOU READ THAT RIGHT!!

sZJPKxQ.png

WHAT A MATCH! WHAT A VICTORY FOR ASTANA!

LUKA JOVIC!

61SpAFw.png

RlUjukH.png

No Barca players getting sent off, no excuses.

With that first minute goal from heaven, Luka Jovic put Barcelona's defense to the sword.

And there was no coming back from it.

4laZYaz.png

YnqIicr.png

With such a massive win for us, I'm going to really dig into the stats of this match and give you guys as much as possible.

8bhsJsz.jpg

2019 MATCH TWO SHOTS ON GOAL.
31nALt8.png

ow5HbvS.png

2019 MATCH TWO PLAYER STATS.
0bfVGNh.jpg

Vb9U9f9.jpg

GYEHvKT.png

One of the first things that stand out are Luis Suarez having a particularly poor with 5 shots, all off target. Also, he only had 25 passes, compared to the other two pieces of the Barca attacking trident with Neymar attempting 73 and Messi 70.

FvkiDBM.png

Everything comes at a price, including our success. And Branoslav Stanojevic paid that price as he went down, thankfully with an injury that wasn't too serious. Still, the price is paid.

bvCOudp.png

Another price of such a victory and our progression in Europe, our reputation took an instant jump to 3.5 stars. Not too bad!

On to the Quarterfinals and much more to come :)

Incredible result especially with the win at the Camp Nou good luck in the quarter finals

Incredible story and what a result at the Camp Nou! I'm just waiting for a regen under the name 'Borat' and i will die happily

**** of a result vs Barcelona! I guess you'll have to stick with Jovic for a while now ;)