Kean: I can better Big Sam

oneunited

Reaction score
Blackburn caretaker manager Steve Kean claims he can surpass Sam Allardyce's achievements at the club if given money to spend in January. Rovers owners Venky's have given Kean the chance to impress following the departure of Allardyce and it is suggested that he will be in charge when the transfer window opens.

Kean believes that if funds are freed up, with Venky's pledging to make £5 million available, then he can improve on the tenth-place finish overseen by Allardyce.

"I think if we have a full squad and £5 million , I'm confident we could finish above tenth, but we need to sit down and see how the £5 million breaks down," Kean said in The Times. "I don't know the full extent of the £5 million, if that's £5 million salaries and fees or just fees. First and foremost we need to know what the budget is for January.

"Hopefully, I can give input because I know the lads we've got in the squad. I know the ones we've got coming through because I've been working with them very closely and we know the academy group under that. I know everybody at the club."

There has been speculation that sports rights agency Kentaro and agents SEM will play a key role in transfer policy under Venky's, but Kean says he will not allow outside parties to control his decisions.

"Anybody who knows me knows I wouldn't just roll over and do what people say," he said. "With the years of experience I have, I would hope that I would be respected and be able to shape the things to come. If I get the scope to give ideas and direction, I would encourage that."

what the **** does the venky's think they're doing ? £5 million to get to 4th pr 5th place :S

man city spent 300+mil to finish fifth

Last edited:
think those indians should of stayed catching chickens jack walkers legacy could be for nothing after these guys have finished with blackburn in all honesty wtf is 5m these days. By the way hope kean does well

Lol feel sorry for Blackburn fans but this is going to be a funny few months, no sympathy for these delusional Indian chicken farmers though, completely clueless.

the new owner will destroy the club :(
totally agree i heard at one point they were thinking of hireing john collins as manager oO) there was no need to sack sam allardyce surely if some one could spend 5m wisely it would be him

Another clueless owner taking over a Premier League club, i feel sorry for every Blackburn fan because their a decent club and deserve better.

LOL at this, being Indian I feel sorry for Blackburn. The owners are not giving a good example of our country :S

Well hang on a moment everyone. Blackburn have a talented squad. Blackpool have shown that it isn't about how much money you have, it's what you do with it and what manager you trust to use it. Who knows, Blackburn could end up fifth. It's very, very unlikely, but don't write them off just yet.

Well hang on a moment everyone. Blackburn have a talented squad. Blackpool have shown that it isn't about how much money you have, it's what you do with it and what manager you trust to use it. Who knows, Blackburn could end up fifth. It's very, very unlikely, but don't write them off just yet.
instead all we are hearing are this ridiculous "chicken Farmer" jibes. Do people realise all the names bandied about in the media never to the owners, thats just media speculation, the only person they spoke to was Kean....

instead all we are hearing are this ridiculous "chicken Farmer" jibes. Do people realise all the names bandied about in the media never to the owners, thats just media speculation, the only person they spoke to was Kean....

Yeah but the people are thinking that the board expects them to finish 5th and thus have given a 5m budget and hence are criticising them

Looking forward to going to Ewood next season, going to be a good match |).
Welcome to the Championship Blackburn fans

Last edited:
Yeah but the people are thinking that the board expects them to finish 5th and thus have given a 5m budget and hence are criticising them
No they said they want to turn blackburn into a top 5 club, not expect to. Very different things.

I think this could very well ruin this club, such a shame for the fans they don't deserve all this ****. What is it with owners sometimes they need a ******* kick up the **** and a reality check.

No they said they want to turn blackburn into a top 5 club, not expect to. Very different things.

Thats the point! People arent realising the difference. Even oneunited in the OP said 5 million for a top 5 club is utter bullshit.Man City required 300 mil to do so.Its a slow and steady start.Their first ambition would be top 10.Then slowly towards Europe.People are expecting them to make a direct impact. The owners are no sugar-daddies

Thats the point! People arent realising the difference. Even oneunited in the OP said 5 million for a top 5 club is utter bullshit.Man City required 300 mil to do so.Its a slow and steady start.Their first ambition would be top 10.Then slowly towards Europe.People are expecting them to make a direct impact. The owners are no sugar-daddies
thats not the owners fault. thats people nothing bothering to read anymore than the headlines.

KEAN PROMISED BIGGER BUDGET

Blackburn caretaker-boss Steve Kean has been assured he will have "a lot more than £5million" available to spend in January.

On taking charge at Ewood, Rovers' new Indian owners had indicated £5million would be made available for winter recruitment.

But Venky's chairperson Anuradha Desai now says Kean will have a bigger budget if required - and that he'll be given time to prove himself in the post.

She told the Lancashire Evening Telegraph: "Steve will still be doing the job in January.

"He will have control over the signings in January and, although he will have to discuss things with the board, he will have the final say.

"There is more than £5million available to him. I would rather not say how much, I will say that when the time is right, but I can say there will be a lot more than £5m.

"We are looking at options for January but please give us some time."

Kean is in caretaker charge at Ewood after the sacking of Sam Allardyce.

Desai added: "At the moment we are researching and looking at the various options and meanwhile Steve Kean will continue to take charge of the team.

"We are not going to hurry. The next decision is a big decision to make and we want to take our time to make sure we make the right decision.

"There is no way we are going to hurry, maybe we will make a call in March, but if Steve Kean does well before that then he will have put himself in a good position to continue."

Clearly, despite what they said before, they didnt trust giving that kind of money to Sam because they obviously want a different playing style, and not a team of cloggers

Think I am the first Blackburn fan to post. Thanks for the sympathy guys. It is confusing being a Rover these days. One day the owners say one thing and then contradict themselves the day after. I think this is a long term plan to be a top 5 club. It can be done with sensible investment in the team and not boom and bust like at City (no offence City fans). If the investment is in youth who can grow into top 5 players and we have the will power to keep said players then why not? We already have a solid base of Robinson, Samba, Jones, N'Zonzi and Olsson, plus Kalinic is a real top player who lacks confidence (which hopefully Kean can give him).

Thanks for reading

Arte et Labore

Think I am the first Blackburn fan to post. Thanks for the sympathy guys. It is confusing being a Rover these days. One day the owners say one thing and then contradict themselves the day after. I think this is a long term plan to be a top 5 club. It can be done with sensible investment in the team and not boom and bust like at City (no offence City fans). If the investment is in youth who can grow into top 5 players and we have the will power to keep said players then why not? We already have a solid base of Robinson, Samba, Jones, N'Zonzi and Olsson, plus Kalinic is a real top player who lacks confidence (which hopefully Kean can give him).

Thanks for reading

Arte et Labore
think the owners have said some pretty sensible things, its the media who have speculated with a whole host of names. Interesting times but good times for you in my opinion