chrismonc87

Reaction score
hi all
i have a dell xps laptop, and it keeps over heating while playing football manager.
my comp is using windows 7 with 5.3 index on primary hard drive and both graphics og 5.9
what can i do to stop it cheers Chris

make sure the fans are not clogged with dust

whats the best way to get rid of any dust if there is any in the fans
cheers for the quick reply

blow into the fan, like an old mega drive game. good old blow does wonders. if not try putting ur lappy in the freezer n grab a seat n play it there lol

Visit the manufacture's website and search for a service manual that shows the steps regarding adding and replacing/upgrading latop parts. I can try and find it for for you if you tell me the full name of your latop

Something useful I found on a site:
If dust, dirt, hair, or other substances are in the case openings, it can prevent air from getting into or out of the laptop. This can cause the overall heat of the laptop to increase, and in some cases may also cause such issues as random reboots.

Look for laptop openings where the laptop draws in cool air from outside or blows out any hot air from the inside of the laptop. These openings are usually on one of the sides, the back, or the bottom of the laptop. Dust, dirt, hair, or other substances can almost always be removed easily using a cotton swab and/or compressed air.

Warning: If you're using compressed air to clean the openings that have fans within them, it's possible that the amount of air blown on the fans can cause them to over spin, damaging or destroying the fan. To help prevent this issue, place something in-between the fan blades, such as a toothpick.

Basically what you can do, if you feel up to it, is uncrew the back of the laptop off, take the battery out and then basically try and remove all dust from inside the case and fans which should increase airflow and hopefully stop your laptop from overheating.

hoover over your fans

i think i have a problem with my right fan as its doesn't seem to be working put fans on full speed and left is working. do you the right 1 could be blocked?

i think i have a problem with my right fan as its doesn't seem to be working put fans on full speed and left is working. do you the right 1 could be blocked?

it could be. May as well give it a go and hope it solves the issue. Even if it doesn't it' still a very good thing to do cleaning out a laptop of dust.

i usually clean out the openings and stuff, but havent done it for a while, and my laptop has been boiling recently. I've heard that that compressed air stuff is supposed to be really good. Don't blow into it because of the moisture in your mouth causing condensation in the parts. And i heard hoovering can cause static and break the laptop.

Get a laptop gel cool tray. They're on amazon !

Make sure to act quickly on this one as it only gets worse and eventually will blow trust me

first fan 4774 rpm and second 1928 rpm

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

gpu temp with fans on 55c

my old lappy used to do that, i just unscrewed everything on the back and took all the back off and gave it a good clean out, it was disgusting in there, no wonder the fan hardly worked and it kept overheating lol :)

dont cover your fans, keep them aired, so they arent getting blocked, My old computer was a dell and it kept shutting down before i realised it was cause i was covering them.

i tired unscrewing every thing but some how can't take the bottom off :(

first fan 4774 rpm and second 1928 rpm

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

gpu temp with fans on 55c

That seems fine for a GPU temp, it's your CPU temp that's probably causing it.