Leading S.S. Pennarossa to Champions League Glory

Toon Army 13

Reaction score
View attachment 257051

Societa Sportiva Pennarossa was founded in 1968 and the club are based in Chiesanuova. Chiesanuova has only 1,000 inhabitants and is situated in the south-west of San Marino. As you can probably guess, the club have found it difficult to make inroads into the European rankings with such a small population-base to pick from and have been rooted to competing in the Campionato Sammarinese with only 1 league trophy to speak of since their inception. The only European competition they have played in was the UEFA Cup but lost 2 matches, conceding 9 goals and scoring 1.

Chairman Massimo Barbieri had ambitions for the club and decided that the club wasn't going anywhere with the current manager, Giuseppe Canini, and sacked him. As the club is still amateur it didn't harm the finances and Barbieri started his long search for his new manager. He first went online to see if any reputable manager's had placed their CVs there as this would save a shed load of money on travelling.

"Same old, same old," He thought himself, "A bunch of Italians that have been unsuccessful with Italian Serie C teams, why on earth would I want them here!?"

On the third page, one name stood out - Steve Rogers - Barbieri didn't know why, but in the pit of his stomach he seemed like the ideal candidate. He was just 31 years old and was from England. However, he spoke fluent Italian and had a range of coaching qualifications, including attending some major coaching workshops with notable managers such as Fabio Capello and Carlo Ancelotti! He had recently just left his job directing Manchester Soccer Schools so obviously had experience working with youngsters and helping them reach their full potential.

"That's it!" He said out loud. This guy was perfect. The fans may criticise this appointment but I had to at least try and get this potential future club legend! The fans would soon come round to an Englishman managing this team if he was winning trophies!

After getting his contact details he sent an email and then played the waiting game. A week passed and it was getting closer to pre-season with each passing day. Barbieri really should have thought about a Plan B, but didn't want to appoint another if Mr. Rogers was going to accept! A few more days passed and he wearily checked his emails for what seemed like the hundredth time...

To his surprise there was a reply from [email protected]! He started to get excited and clicked open to read the email. It was a brief email, straight to the point, and confirmed his interest in taking Pennarossa forward and up towards the top of the European Club Rankings! Rogers stated that he'd be flying in in a few days to talk with Barbieri about his ambitions for the club and what would be expected of him over the coming years.

The Meeting:

Barbieri outlined his initial objectives for the season and a further 5 and 10 year plan for the club.

Season Objectives:
- 4th in
Campionato Sammarinese
- Quarter-finals of Coppa Titano

5 year plan:
- Win at least 2
Campionato Sammarinese trophies
- Win the Coppa Titano
- Improve the club's reputation
- Move up the European Club Rankigns

10 year plan:
- Reach the Champions League group stage
- Move into the top 100 clubs in Europe
- Become a dominant force in Sammarinese football winning numerous league trophies and Coppa Titano's

Rogers thoughts on the objectives.

Season Objectives:
- Win the
Campionato Sammarinese!
- Semi-finals of Coppa Titano
- Bring in some quality players from the Italian leagues to boost the reputation and fan-base of the club

5 year plan:
- Become a dominant force in Sammarinese football
- Beat a European opponent
- Enhance the league's reputation to improve funding and TV revenue
- Become a semi-professional club
- Improve club facilities

10 year plan:
- Win a game in the Champions League group stage
- Become a professional club with a bigger stadium for the large fan-base
- Try and help all the clubs in the league become at least semi-professional

Barbieri was quite surprised with the ambitions of the new manager and couldn't see how the club would become professional in 10 years when they've been amateur for 42 years, with no thoughts on even becoming semi-professional! However, he was happy with the appointment and would unveil the new manager to the fans tomorrow morning...although he had to admit only half a dozen people would probably turn up!

---------------------------------​

Author's Note - I know there are now a few stories of the Sammarinese League so hope you find this just as interesting. My main motivation for making my first story is it should keep myself motivated to carry this save on until I reach my goal :) Thanks to SammyT for creating the database as it wouldn't have been possible without you. Also, Choices, you were my main inspiration for starting this!

Last edited:
Author's Note - I will now be referring to the manager in 1st person just to let everyone know and so they don't get confused.
------------------------------​
I took over Pennarossa at the start of July 2011 and have been given 2 months before the first competitive fixture against Fiorentino in the Coppa Titano. I felt it was key to arrange some friendly fixtures to not only allow me to get a closer look at my players, but give them match practice for fitness, performance and time to gel as a team. The friendlies were mainly against Italian teams in the lower leagues, with one fixture against a local Sammarinese team. My record for the friendlies was 5-1-1, which I was pleased about considering I was making them play new formations and philosophies.I brought in a LOT of players, the majority from Italy, that I thought were capable of winning the league and hopefully do the double too. They were all on amateur contracts so it didn't matter too much how many I brought in because I wouldn't be losing any money from having them. I was also likely to be poached of players if I started well and didn't want to be left short. I released a number of aging players that I didn't think were capable of competing for trophies.

The average age of my squad is now 22 years old, which is very young, however, I have brought in one or two Italian Serie A rejects, which should really boost my chances of silverware!I also replaced the assistant manager with this one -

Last edited:
good luck mate, i'm following this, i'm also currently playing as Pennarossa and am up to 2020 and it's the best save i've ever played so hopefully you'll find it the same.

There are lots of Sammarinese internationals available on frees so I hope you got some as they are better than most of the league while bringing in relative superstars to boss everyone.

Season 2011/12

What a great season! I was hoping to win the league but I certainly wasn't expecting to dominate it by so much. I was unbeaten in all competitions until the FINAL group game in the league. Annoyed me so much losing that last game! Also won the Coppa Titano to complete the double.

Ciacci was immense throughout and broke the record for goals in a match as well as winning a load of awards.

My team also broke a number of records....

Youngest goal-scorer by my left winger -

Board were delighted with me and have become untouchable in my first season with my over-achievements :) As expected I got coach of the year too.

Team of the year -

My left winger and keeper got player's of the season in their respective positions...

A measly 5K for winning the league and only £500 over the coming season for TV rights, but made a profit over the season and should get a lot more hopefully if I make it into the Champions League group stages! The league dropped in the rankings too but it should rise if I succeed in Europe!

A lot of screenies but hopefully they are of interest for you readers. I will probably post an update at the end of the transfer window and can let you all know how I did in the CL qualifying rounds!​

2012 Preseason

Not many transfers this year, but a number of my key players left to go onto professional contracts so had to replace them.

Not a bad pre-season, although I got shown that I'm no way near Champions League standard by getting smashed by Partizan. Record win beforehand though :)

Also won the San Marino Challenge even though they backed me to get hammered again.

By why Pennarossa?!?!? They are slowly becoming my rival team. They are the ones who snapped two of my long winning streaks in my game. Oh well it is nice, and your main key is to get to Semi-Professional as fast as you can. Once you do that the league is yours!

By why Pennarossa?!?!? They are slowly becoming my rival team. They are the ones who snapped two of my long winning streaks in my game. Oh well it is nice, and your main key is to get to Semi-Professional as fast as you can. Once you do that the league is yours!

They weren't predicted to do well in the first season (7th) and I wanted a challenge. I don't know what it was like with your facilities but something that hasn't helped is my youth facilities were rented so had to request the board to build one which has taken longer than just upgrading!

Season 2 update coming soon...

Season 2012/2013

So a season of 2 halves really. There were a number of close games, draws and even a loss in the first half of the season and I was 2nd in the group behind Juvenes Dogana. They just wouldn't let up and I wanted top spot for the prize money! The turning point came in February I think, where I started to dominate teams like last season and I built up a big points difference and eventually made top spot my own. Along the way I won the Trofeo Federale and the Coppa Titano for the 2nd year in a row.

During the season I broke the unbeaten record and games won in a row which is good seeing as I didn't have the best start.

I had a number of injury problems and this didn't help my run-in at all, just take a look at the number of players I had unavailable for the play-off games and had to pick a number of players out of position!

Me and the players won a bunch of the awards at the end of the season -

Ciacci got top goalscorer again with 27 goals (not as good as last season but he got injured a few times and suspended), and managed to get fan's player of the year too.

The league team and player stats for the season (dominated by Pennarossa again) -

And my team of the season, as well as my best overall team too...

The Campionato Sammarinese went up 70 places to 435th with Pennarossa climbing an astounding 401 places to 452nd to become the highest climbers in Europe! Somehow I'm still only 3rd in the league's reputation standings which I'm not too happy about!

The league have also managed to get an extra place in the Europa League qualifying stages which is good to see.

The board were very pleased with my performances and results in all competitions, but hopefully I can build on my European performance in the season coming.

Unfortunately, my finances have taken a plummet because the board have accepted my request to building our OWN youth facilities, which are due to be completed in October.

I really need to own top spot for reputation in my league and make in-roads in Europe so that I can finally become semi-professional! Fingers crossed for next season!​

for me it was the fact they once had 125 and 250 world champion manuel poggiali and he now plays futsal for the national team.

2013 Preseason

A mixed preseason again. I convincingly won the 1st round of qualifiers but lost heavily on aggregate 9-3 to APOEL. Just don't have the quality of players to compete at the moment, need to turn semi-pro! After the 1st round set a new record for an unbeaten run of 36 games!

I holidayed my friendly games apart from the SM and last game so that explains the mixed results there. Unfortunately I've lost some key players, my player of the past 2 seasons, Ciacci, went to Folgore for some reason, which I'm livid about! Brought in some talent to replace them so hopefully they can do a job!

Managed to increase the budget for junior coaching, but it's still not good enough. Also convinced the board to expand the stadium, albeit only by 722 seats, and is set to be finished in July 2014.

Won the SM challenge, JUST! And at the same time there was a player who broke the record to be youngest ever player for Pennarossa, as well as youngest goalscorer.

Season 2013/2014

Just going through the motions again this season. Still haven't turned semi-professional so hard to get better quality players than I already have. Also hasn't helped that semi-pro teams are stealing my key players each season :( The season didn't start well with 2 draws (not counting European qualifiers), however a few games later I registered my biggest ever win against Fiorentino! My new striker who is just 20yrs old got a double hat-trick too :D

Managed to go 31 games unbeaten in the league to break another record, just before this one of my players broke the youngest player record again!

I got approached to manage MK Dons in May with a huge £2.9mil transfer budget, but I have remained loyal to my Sammarinese fans (if any lol).

Near the end of the season the local council didn't give full planning permission for my stadium expansion so that got cancelled! So annoyed with that, but have managed to get new training facilities upgraded ready for November.

Me and the team dominated most of the awards again with coach of the year, player of the year, top goalscorer and a number of others. Sorrentino would have easily got top goalscorer but got injured for a couple of months and a few suspensions (he's an aggressive *******!).

As you can see from the SS below my team changed quite a bit this season with a number of different players in the best eleven compared to the overall best eleven.

The league went up 102 places to become the biggest risers in Europe (up to 333rd), and Pennarossa have moved up to 404th. All the teams' reputations in the league rose too, and I've finally become the most reputable in the league!

My board were happy again, but I'd like to really impress them and get some results in Europe! This would also boost my finances as I'm only getting a good turnover thanks to the prize money I'm winning. Desperately need some TV revenue and participating in Europe so I can afford better facilities and finally go semi-pro! I'm debating whether to just win the Coppa Titano next season so I just go straight into Europa League qualifying rounds instead of the much harder Champions League as I can't seem to get past stage 2.

Good work so far mate, keep going! I'm with Tre Fiori and we turned semi in 14/15 with a record like yours I think, so not long to go hopefully!

Great read too!

Good work so far mate, keep going! I'm with Tre Fiori and we turned semi in 14/15 with a record like yours I think, so not long to go hopefully!

Great read too!

Yep should hopefully turn semi-pro after next season. I've just managed to get another stadium expansion request agreed too, so I'm hoping that the council don't block it again! Otherwise going to be regretting choosing Pennarossa with all these extra hardships that goes with them (not having their own facilities, can't get stadium expansion, etc etc.)

Good to know it's a good read as well, wasn't sure if it was because at the moment just stating what has happened in the season and it's hard to go into detail with 10 months of games! Haha

2014 Preseason

What a preseason! Although it was filled with competitive fixtures with lots of money at stake so didn't really have a preseason, tougher than all my seasons beforehand haha!
Unfortunately, lost another 6 first team players (hate transfer windows when you are amateur!), but brought in a few good players so should get by another season.

So it started off with the first round of qualifying against a team from Andorra, which I comfortably won (as I have done every other year). Then came the prospect of BATE from Belarus and these were much harder, winning on away goals. I'd finally reached the THIRD round of qualifying and faced Zestaponi - a team who I thought I could beat...

As you can see I managed it with great performances from Sorrentino and Deinite (2 players I brought in last season). Then came the daunting prospect of Standard Liege of Belgium who have made the group stages before. I had the home fixture first up and came close to an upset, losing 2-1, then came the away fixture a week later...

As you can see I didn't cause an upset but I was rewarded with my performances with a huge £1.82mil and a further £869K for getting into the Europa League group stages! Hallelujah! My balance has risen to over £3.2mil so will be putting that towards upgrading my facilities ASAP! Hopefully competing in Europe over the season should ensure I become semi-pro too.

Been handed a tough draw though with no easy games though -

Season 2014/2015 - Midpoint

So I thought I'd update you on how my season has been so far otherwise my end of season post will be too long! Let me just say that competing in Europe is tough as an amateur club! I don't have the squad depth to compete in the league, in the coppa titano and in the Europa league and it's showing on my results! Had a number of injuries and generally my players are very tired from the increase in games. It's only an extra 6 games but this has meant 3 day rest periods and my players just aren't conditioned well enough.

I didn't win any games in the Europa league group stages, as I expected, however at least I scored 2 goals :D Conceded on average 4 goals per game, which isn't too bad considering the group I had!

I managed to win the Trofeo Federale for the third time in a row, and this should set me up for the triple again. Although, thanks to my loss against Murata (which was after a Europa League game), I am 2nd in the Coppa Titano :( I also lost twice in the league!!! Not happy, but I think I should be much more successful in the second half of the season when I don't need to worry about European opponents!

What also pleased me was the fact that one of my strikers stayed top of the Champions League goal-scoring charts 5 games into the group stages!

The problem I am having with my save and any one else who plays with this league is that the league is very easy. It is more upsetting if you actually lose one game, or even a tie in the league. Then you had Champs league or Euro League where you totally get demolish. So you really can't go into detail that much cause its the same story each year. I really am waiting until all teams are professional and that is when this save will really be fun to talk about.

Although you talk about not going into detail, but yet you want to talk about the biggest win is against Fiorentino. Yes I saw it, and why does everyone have to pick on that team? At least mine they are doing well.

Good story although I wish Fiorentino could actually do something in your save.

The problem I am having with my save and any one else who plays with this league is that the league is very easy. It is more upsetting if you actually lose one game, or even a tie in the league. Then you had Champs league or Euro League where you totally get demolish. So you really can't go into detail that much cause its the same story each year. I really am waiting until all teams are professional and that is when this save will really be fun to talk about.

Although you talk about not going into detail, but yet you want to talk about the biggest win is against Fiorentino. Yes I saw it, and why does everyone have to pick on that team? At least mine they are doing well.

Good story although I wish Fiorentino could actually do something in your save.

Yeh I've been annoyed with my losses this season but it's due to not having the squad depth and getting my key players poached midway through the season.
I have only gone into detail this season as it's my first season in Europe and I'm still amateur!

Yes I only put that SS up as it was broke a team record. I'm sure you have put your biggest wins up in your earlier posts if I remember rightly? They aren't doing too badly on mine, which is why I was happy with the win :)

It's just the fact that my heart breaks when you score the highest scoring game for the league was against Fiorentino. This is why Pennarossa is becoming my rival. Just don't like to see my team do so bad especially to this team. Ugh just makes me sick lol.