Let’s Try Not to **** this All Away: A Burton Albion Story

So we have managed to get promoted but did we win the title or did we bottle it?

View attachment 100654
So we start the month with a poor performance and a comprehensive defeat against Scunthorpe, yet despite this we still confirmed our promotion thanks to results elsewhere. The draw with Blackburn was really frustrating as we were 2-0 up in the 87th​ minute and still only managed to draw. At this point I was really beginning to think we were going to throw the title away, but Watford were going through an equally patchy period so we had maintain our gap. The Victory against Brentford was pleasing as it got us back on track and resulted in us being confirmed as champions.

View attachment 100653
That gave me the opportunity to rotate the in the final 3 games and despite this we still managed to win 2 and draw one. I was disappointed in the end with the draw against Gillingham as it meant that we would not get over 100 points, having said that if that is all I have to be disappointed about then you can’t complain too much.

So the Final table looked like this:

View attachment 100652
So a 16 point gap in the end and I’m overjoyed to finally have got promoted and to go up as Champions is unbelievable. I’m not sure what has made the big difference between this season and last, but I’m going to take it to have been my tactical genius with the formation and role tweeks that I made at the start of the season. It wasn’t just the senior squad who had a good season.

View attachment 100651
The u18s also won their league

View attachment 100650
Whilst the u23s let the side down by only finishing 2nd​, I wonder how they would have done if I hadn’t loaned out some of their better players in the January window.

Anyway on to the awards and reviews. Our season review makes very pleasant reading. Though the early cup exits and the heavy defeat to Watford still smart a bit.

View attachment 100649
The award and best 11 induction were as follows:

View attachment 100648
Only right winger Ylatupa makes the starting 11 however Wilson and Bengtsson make the bench of the best 11.

The end of season awards went like this:

View attachment 100647
So Man Utd loanee Boris cleans up at the awards, might need to try and get him back next season, with Tommy Smith picking up signing of the season. The team of the season is pretty much the 11 I started in most of the games.

So with the season over I sat down with the local press to discuss the season gone and our plans for our assult on the Premier League.

View attachment 100640
Journalist: So you’ve achieved the impossible and taken the club up, how do you feel? And did you always think you could.

Me: It’s a great achievement and the lads deserve a lot of credit for all their had work. I’m delighted to have been at the helm and to have given the town the chance to mix it with the big biys. I always thought if we could play our game consistently we could threaten the top end of the league, though even I have to admit I never dreamed of actually winning the league.

Journalist: So what are the plans for next season? Will there be wholescale changes or do you plan to stick with the guys that took you up?

Me: I don’t expect too many changes, I think we need a few more quality players to help out but I would imagine the core of the team from this season will be the same for next.

Journalist: Is that due to budget constraints or choice?

Me: A bit of both. We have a few pounds to spend (£20m +200k wages) but I don’t think the club should overstrech themselves and I think we have some very talented players already at the club, plus we only need to be better than 3 teams.

Journalist: So what about having to play home games in Coventry for the first half of the season?

Me: We have to upgrade the stadium its that simple, a capacity of under 10K just doesn’t cut it at this level. Sure being sent to Coventry isn’t ideal and I hope the fans still come in their thousands to support us as we will need their backing.

Journalist: What about transfer targets, the fans are desperate to hear who you will be bringing in.

Me: Currently the scouting team and myself are pouring over reports, videos and watching players from across the world, whoever we bring in needs to fit in the group and be an improvement on what we already have. No decisions will be taken lightly.

Well done on the title looking forward to seeing the transfers for the Premier League. Also a good sign to see the youth teams doing well.

Well done on the title looking forward to seeing the transfers for the Premier League. Also a good sign to see the youth teams doing well.

Yeah youth teams doing well is very pleasing, think I will be trying to bring a couple of them up this season to act as back-up. Plenty of really good players on frees just not sure I can get them to join us or afford them. This could be the longest transfer window ever!

Title was easy in the end :p

Well done though mate, interested to see what players you bring in

Awesome mate; whats the budget loooking like now ?

So the guys reported back for pre-season training and the whole backroom team began to discuss what would be required to keep us in the Premier League. The first thing we need to do was to secure our better players on longer term contracts in an attempt to keep them for going elsewhere. We immediately sat down with a number of players and offered them new deals.

Next up was a review of all the youth players that had been released and we spotted a couple who may have something about them and we would have a good look at them before deciding if to take things any further.

We then highlights the full back positions and goalkeeper as priority positions that need to be upgraded, and set about trying to find targets that would fit into the squad and improve us whilst also looking for value for the club.

Whilst all this was going on we had pre-season to contend with. I had decided that as soon as we had confirmed promotion that we would try and play a number of Premier League teams to try and a) gauge where we were against other clubs and b) to give the players the experience of playing against a higher quality of player that we would soon face week in week out.
We arranged a couple of friendlies against Premier League teams, a couple of money spinning cups and a few morale boosters against weaker opposition meaning we had 9 games in total over pre-season.

View attachment 100522

A pleasing set of results and more importantly performances saw us win 5 draw 1 and lose 3 of our pre-season games. If I’m honest it was only in the Chelsea game that we were outplayed, having had chances in the Man U game and we battered Everton without scoring only for them to score an 89th​ minute free kick. The eagle eyed among you may well have noted a few names that you aren’t familiar with and I will cover all transfers in the post that covers our 1st​ months fixtures, byt I did want to highlight 2 players who were brought in last season and spent it in the u23s and on loan who may well make an impact on the 1st​ team this season.

View attachment 100521
Brought in after he was released by Arsenal. Spent last season on loan at Bradford and scored 16 goals. Has returned and played ok in the games he had pre-season and will probably be 3rd​ choice striker this season and will probably get a few starts in the early rounds of cups, assuming we don’t get knocked out in the 1st​ round!

View attachment 100520
Released by Man City he progressed well in the u23s for the first half of last season and went on loan to Rochdale for the 2nd​ half of the season. With probably 5 or 6 ahead of him for the centre midfield slots will probably be restricted to early rounds of the cups, but if he can progress at the same rate as he did last season could move up the queue quickly.

So the Premier League was upon us in no time, we had performed well pre-season and our new signings were settling in well, but Spurs first game of the season wasn’t going to be easy but then none of the games were! We would then travel to Norwich, home to Leicester before 2 away games against Charlton in the cup and Watford to round off the month. I would really like to get off to a good start and pick up at least a couple of wins and cup progression.

View attachment 100446
Overall I’m happy with our start. The Spurs game was more even that the scoreline suggest, not that our season will be about games against the likes of Spurs. We then battered Norwich but only managed 1 goal, though as I see Norwich as a potential relegation rival it was an important win. The Leicester game was similar to the Norwich game except we were more clinical. EFL cup action allowed me to rotate the squad and despite the scoreline we were always in control. Then the Watford game, the only game that I was disappointed with. We played so well created chance after chance but failed to take them, Watford on the other hand scored twice from 5 shots. But to be sitting 7th​ in the league I can’t complain.

October would bring 3 league games and more EFL cup exploits. Man U in the league and the Toon Army in the cup would give our fans the chance to travel with home matches with Fulham and Liverpool. Points could be hard to come by though a game with the likes of Fulham at home has to be targeted for a win.

Great start to life in the premiership and as you say you have to target games against the other teams expect to struggle as they can be vital points come the end of the season. I take it you didn't get offered the Liverpool job?

Great start to life in the premiership and as you say you have to target games against the other teams expect to struggle as they can be vital points come the end of the season. I take it you didn't get offered the Liverpool job?

Didn't even take the interview! As an Everton fan I just couldn't do it

Ok so now onto the important bit and the transfers. I don’t think I have ever spent so long looking at players trying to find the right ones and even then there are a couple of the signings that I now probably wouldn’t sign.

Again there are a couple of players brought in to go straight into the u23s and again I won’t cover these signings, but as you can see below there is still some quality in the u23s.

View attachment 100334
Onto to the guys brought in to help keep us in the Premier League:

Ins:
View attachment 100333

View attachment 100332
Goalkeeper was one area that needed to be improved and Giefer does that. Better in all departments and on a free transfer it was a no brainer. Will hopefully be able to keep us in a few games as I expect him to be busy in certain games. At 31 he could well have a year or two in him yet.

View attachment 100331
Da Costa was brought in to be first choice right back, another of the areas highlighted as needing to improve. Decent tackling, marking and crossing and excellent physicals means at £2.1m he could be a bit of a bargain. Not likely to improve but a solid defender none the less.

View attachment 100330
Left back was an area that need an upgrade but that I found incredibly difficult to find someone to fill. In the end we went for Popescu. With very good Physicals decent work rate he is already our first choice. He need some work on technicals and mentals but at 19 he has plenty of time to improve and I’m confident he will especially with lots of game time.

View attachment 100329
Yao joins from Inter for £1.9m and gives us another option at centre back. Good all round and will probably be a starter alongside our returning loanee.

View attachment 100328
Seri comes in from Metz and at £1.7m another cheap option. That said he is a very well rounded player who can fill a number of roles. Brought in as a back up player but one that I would have no issues with starting in any game.

View attachment 100327
Sid was brought In after a good performance against us in pre-season. At £50k he will be a back-up player to start with. But a decent young midfielder with good all round stats and at 21 plenty of time to progress. Already being tutored and I hope he will make his make though it may not be this season.
View attachment 100326
Paun arrives from Caen in France for £1.7m. A good winger who can play on either wing and will provide competition for palces in the wide areas. Again his stats are well rounded and I cannot pin-point any major weak areas in his game. Another back-up player who I would be happy to start in any match.
#View attachment 100325
I think this young guy may be a superstar. Brought in from Skonto in Latvia he was originally going to be another youngster to go into the u23s to see how he progresses, but great performances pre-season meant he was kept in the 1st​ team squad and an injury in the 1st​ game of the season has seen him start every league game since.
View attachment 100323
And the final signing is one that I tried not to make. I had thought to myself that I didn’t need a striker and therefore I wouldn’t spend any money on one. However when buitink was transfer listed by PSG for £3m I couldn’t help myself. Will be a good back up to Wilson, though may well take the starting place before the season is out. Played just 1 game so far and got a hat-trick so definetly some quality there and at 21 and on a 4 year deal he has time to improve at the club.

Outs:
View attachment 100318
So a couple of players leave on frees as they weren’t playing and not happy about it, also saves a few quid on wages. These were joined with the usual youger players going on loan to get some game time to help with their progression. A few players leave as they weren’t Premier league quality and at least profit was made on each if them. Robert Muric and connor O’Grady may well have a future at the club but it will require them to perform whilst on loan.

August was rounded off with some recognition for our young players and meant we went into September full of confidence.

View attachment 100160
View attachment 100159
Septembers first match saw Fulham visit The Rioch and they were dispatched brilliantly by the lads who had to come from a goal down to win, and its another 3 points towards that magical 40. Next up came a trip to Old Trafford were we got pretty much what I expected. A hat trick for Griezmann and it was all over as as contest before the hour mark. A fully rotated side took on Newcastle at St James Park and in a fairly even game eventually ran out winners on penalties. Our home game with Liverpool and a 0-0 draw, which I should be happy with but we dominated the match and should have won and with Liverpool starting the game in the drop zone it feels like it could be 2 points dropped rather than 1 gained.
5 games in October with league and EFL Cup action. Games against Palace and Boro and ones we need to be picking up points against, whilst high flying West Ham could go either way. I hold little hope of getting anything out of trips to Arsenal and Man U in the cup.