Let’s Try Not to **** this All Away: A Burton Albion Story

View attachment 100088
Palace game was very even and they were just more clinical. West Ham who were 4th​ at the time rocked up and the Rioch and despite us being massively the better team they managed to take the lead twice only for us to peg them back on both occasions, again feels like we dropped points. Away to Arsenal and Man U went exactly how I had imagined it would and we were beaten in both but we were well in the Arsenal game but only managed 1 shot against Man Utd. Middlesbrough had suddenly become a very important game as we were now only 3 points above the relegation zone, but a big performance and a big win see us move back into 10th​.

November only has 3 games but it could be the most important month to date with games against the botton 2 in Sunderland and Brentford. Wins in these games are so important to our survival chances and could allow us to open a bit of a gap on the drop zone. After these 2 away days we welcome Chelsea in a game were again I’m not too hopeful of picking up any points. 6 points has to be the target.

View attachment 99756
So not the 6 points I was after but happy enough with 4. Sunderland we had to come from a goal down to win but were in control and the win always looked likely. Brentford was some game. 2-0 to 3-2 up and then the heartache of a 93rd​ minute equaliser, gutted! Chelsea probably deserved their win but we had pit in a decent shift so wasn’t too disappointed. We are starting to put a bit of a gap between ourselves and the bottom 3 if we keep this sort of form up relegation may not even be a consideration.

December would bring 6 games and with the exception of Man City and Spurs we would be up against teams that are in and around us in the table. It could be a good month however with the fixture pile up around Christmas/New Year the need for rotation could hurt us. If we can average a point per game this month I’d be happy enough.

View attachment 99755
11 points means I’m one happy boy. Draws with Bournemouth and City were probably about right as both games were very even. That was followed by one of our best performances of the season to comfortably beat Everton and then one of our worst performances were Spurs showed us the meaning of clinical. We round of the year with two solid 1-0 wins over The Saints and Stoke which leaves us 11 points clear of relegation and in the heady position of 8th​, however the top 6 have a bit of a gap so Europe looks to be out of the question barring a cup miracle.

Speaking of the cup the FA cup 3rd​ round is one of the 5 games we have in January. We will also return to the newly enlarged Pirelli in January with our first home game in the Premier League at our actual home being against Watford. Norwich,Leicester and Fulham provide the other league opposition whilst Bristol City are our first cup opponents. I’ll just be happy if we can carry Decembers form into January.

View attachment 99754
A bit of an up and down month. Norwich we had come back from 2 down to then concede the winner with 15 minutes to go. Our rotated side beat Bristol City with more comfort than the score suggests then comes the Leicester game. We actually had as many chances as Leicester and more possession but Leicester just did what Leicester do and hit us on the break. I was concerned that this could be a turning point in our season and could prompt a run of poor results. I need not have worried. A first Premier league win at the Pirelli against a struggling Watford side was followed by a hammering of Fulham. I rotated the side again for the cup playing all those who had been complaining about lack of game time and they proved why they hadn’t been playing! There are a couple of players who played their last Burton game against Villa. So the cup dream is over before it began.
View attachment 99752
As we move into February we can concentrate on the league as we have no other distractions. The table looks quite promising at present:

January also means transfer window. Now unfortunately we are skint and have no money or wages for any transfers, so unless we make a big sale I don’t expect to bring anyone in, and that is exactly how it turned out. A really quite January saw only 1 player sold with Cameron Dawson joining Dundee for £97k rising to £110k. Robert Muric, currently at loan at Willem, agreed a pre-contract with someone in Beligium, he won’t be a great loss and then a string of youngsters and a couple of guys who just weren’t playing went on loan. Not much to report unfortunately.

View attachment 99748

One other piece of news that I almost forgot about was that we finally got a work permit for our Honduran international, however the very next message after the approval of his work permit was the news that he had broken his leg whilst on loan at Ludogorets and will be out for 7-9 months! Hopefully make his debut next season.

View attachment 99747
Just in case like me you had forgotten who he was!

Just catching up on this now. Ridiculous start to the PL and with 35 points safety is almost secured. What is James Wilson valued at in your game?

Just catching up on this now. Ridiculous start to the PL and with 35 points safety is almost secured. What is James Wilson valued at in your game?

I bought him for £375k and when he joined he was valued at £550k. he is currently valued at £11.25m

Great season you are having! Europe here you come!?

Thanks mate, going better than I expected! Not sure about Europe though top 6 have a bit of a gap, unless the cups do us a favor and open up a few extra spots.

February's four games would see us take on top of the table Man Utd, a Liverpool team who are struggling and already sacked their manager, I’m glad I wasn’t tempted. Crystal Palace and West Ham would complete the fixtures for the month. With us being only 5 points short of the traditional safety mark of 40 points I’d like to finish the month with at least that achieved.
View attachment 99617
6 points takes us beyond 40 so I’m happy with the months performance. Defeat to Man U was no surprise and to then bounce back and beat Liverpool at Anfield was very pleasing. The last 2 games of the month were very even and to have one in our favour and one go against us I can’t really complain. So with safety almost certain can we achieve more? Is a place in Europe possible? Just to round February off and another award for a young player, this one isn’t ours unfortunately.

View attachment 99616

So March was going to be a quite month with only 3 games and a 3 week period when we didn’t play, due to international break and FA cup which we are out of. With the matches being against Boro, Brentford and Sunderland all of whom are in the bottom half and Brentford and Sunderland being 19th​ and 20th​ meant that we could very well win all 3 and grab 9 points.View attachment 99607
So a good month even if we didn’t win all three matches. Boro were probably unlucky not to get something from the game. We were 3-0 up at half time but it was a different team in the 2nd​ half and we ended up hanging on and Boro pressed. Brentford was a good win and my only complaint was that we only scored once despite creating loads of chances. We slipped up against Sunderland but if I’m honest I still don’t know how we didn’t win. We should have hammered them but the draw makes us mathematically safe and we can now start planning for another season in the Premier League.

It’s just as well that we are safe as April could be a very difficult month. With 3rd​,4th​ and 5th​ place to take on in the shape of Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City we may struggle to pick up too many points in these games. This makes the Everton and Bournemouth games even more important. If we want to get into Europe, which isn’t completely out of the question at the minute we will need some big performances in April.

So the final 7 games wouldn’t shape our season as we had already achieved safety and anything more at this point should be a bonus, having said that now that we have put ourselves in the race for Europe with some outstanding performances of late I think I’d be a little disappointed if we couldn’t overhaul Norwich in 6th​, who we are 3 points behind, though they do have a game in hand.

View attachment 99522
Arsenal were first up at the Pirelli and going into the game Arsenal were on form and had just spanked 4th​ place Chelsea, I didn’t expect much. But then as they had been doing all season the lads stepped up and beat Arsenal in a game were we had more shots and possession and deserved the 3 points. Next up was a trip to the Bridge to face a Chelsea side in freefall. They had been pushing Man U for the title but no wins in 11 games had seen them fall to 4th​ and be fighting just to keep a Champions League place for next season not to mention Conte getting his P45. We were confident we could get a result and for the first half hour absolutely battered Chelsea hitting the woodwork twice and looking for all the world like this could be a romp. Then on the half hour mark Hazard scores with Chelseas first attack and shot. He then precedes to score again 2 minutes later before Lukaku makes it 3 before half time with, you guessed it their 3rd​ shot. The game kinda fizzles out with Chelsea then managing only 1 more shot on target for the rest of the game. Can’t believe Burton got FM’d by Chelsea! Bournemouth at home was a similar story of more shots, shots on target and possession but another defeat. Back to back league defeats for the first time this season couldn’t have come at a worse time and it looks like the only way we’ll be in Europe is on our holidays. We set off for the Emptihad worried that we could now be in freefall and the inevitable drop off in results was kicking in, though at least we were safe, however a draw with City at least got us a point and was a fair result given it was such an game. Two 2-1 wins in games that we dominated meant that we were back on the horse, however we slipped back to old ways against Southampton in a game we should have won but only managed to draw. So 3 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats was if I’m honest more than I had hoped for but was it enough for Europe.

View attachment 99521
Unfortunately not! Those two defeats to Chelsea and Bournemouth have cost us dear and we can put away the passports for another season. But 7th​ place and despite the disappointment of not making Europe I’m happy with the season and now move on and prepare for another assault next year, but before we do a quick round up of the season.

View attachment 99520
I’ve just noticed it says in the season review that we have qualified for Europe. I’ll have to load the game up and check, though I’m sure we missed out as the FA cup final was between Southampton and Sunderland neither of whom had already qualified. Ok so I can’t see it anywhere else so I don’t know if we have or not, I guess we will have to wait until the fixtures are released.

The club had its usual awards night confirming the best overall 11, team of the year along with a few player awards.

View attachment 99519

Can’t really argue with any of them though don’t remember the goal. Team of the year was my prefered starting 11 if everyone was fit.

View attachment 99518

Only Fillip gets added to the Overall best 11 and makes the bench, though I expect a few changes to this in the next couple of seasons.

Not to be left out I felt I deserved a gong for my efforts, and picked up this little number.

View attachment 99517
I’ll put it in the downstairs loo with my Championship one!

With the awards dinner over myself, my assistant and chief scout sat down with the board to discuss budgets for next season. I had said that we would need to invest to ensure that we keep moving forward and that the players that we would need to go to the next level weren’t the sort that you could pick up for a few hundred thousand and that we would need 3 or 4 players and that they were more likely to cost £10m than £1m. The Chairman was keen to ensure that all already big squad didn’t become even bigger with a load of players not playing but still being contracted to the club, and I agreed that there were a few players who would have to be sold and that we could probably generate somewhere in the region of £10m from selling our fringe players if we could get the fees that they were worth. Having stated that I would be looking to sell and not just buy the Chairman agreed we would need to invest to try and progress and said he would be in touch with initial budgets. I was expecting similar to last year and to supplement that with player sales.

View attachment 99516
I nearly fell over when this arrived in my inbox later in the day. All I can think is that he was still hungover from the awards dinner the previous evening. Not that I’m complaining!

Fantastic first season in the Premiership well done. And have fun spending that 55 Millions haha

7th is a fantastic position to finish in. excited for the summer. Have you been linked with many jobs?

7th is a fantastic position to finish in. excited for the summer. Have you been linked with many jobs?

Pretty happy with it. Only linked to the Everton job, but that is because they are my favourite team on my manager profile. Get linked with them every time they sack a manager. Always the fans first choice but never get offered an interview.

First things first the game lied to me! The season review said we had qualified for Europe. We have not! NO mention of it in the fixtures or on the competitions page. I knew we had missed out but I did have my hopes raised by the season review only to have them dashed again!

So by the time the lads made it back from Magaluf or wherever they had spent their summer there were already a few new faces to meet as well as a number who didn’t report back at all having left during the close season. We went straight into training and with 9 pre-season games to play we would definitely be fit come the start of the season, but given the difficult opposition I had selected for many of our games I just hoped that we could put in some decent performances to keep morale high.

View attachment 99136
So that went kinda well. Unbeaten all pre-season, won 2 tournaments and beat a few decent teams including a spanking of Liverpool. Now I know that it wasn’t full teams and its only pre-season, but we at no point started our 1st​ choice 11 and the results have got me excited about we could achieve this season with a bit of luck.

So with the new season upon us I sat down for the usual chat with the local press.

View attachment 99135
Journalist: A good pre-season then, with some of the new players seeming to have settled in quickly, what do you think is achievable this season?

Me: I think survival has to be the first aim. Any team in the Premier league outside the top 5 or 6 could concevably go down if they have a bad season, so that infamous 40 point cliche has to be the first target.

Journalist: So you think we will struggle this season?

Me: Not at all, I know that on our day we can defeat anyone but the same can be said about every team in this league. I see no reason why with a bit of luck we can’t go one step further than last year and qualify for Europe but I think we need to get to the 40 point mark then push on if we can.

Journalist: So the club have certainly backed you in the transfer market with a record spend, do you feel that adds to the pressure on yourself.

Me: We did spend big for this club but lets put this in perspective there are at least 3 players bought by clubs in the Premier league for more than we spent in total, Man Utd spent £115m on one player and that’s 3 times our entire spend. Having said that the amount we have spent does increase the pressure, of course it does. Could we afford this squad in the Championship, probably not, though if that were to happen I’m not sure I’d be here.

Journalist: You also let a number of players go, including fan favourite Etzaz Hussian are you worried about the high turn over of players?

Me: The players that have left have done so as I didn’t anticipate them getting much game time and I don’t want to have unhappy players in the squad and we needed to bring some money back in to help balance the books. As for Etzaz I’m as sad as the fans. He was my first signing as a manager and was a great servant to this club and that was part of the reason to let him go. As for a high turnover of players, yeah it could backfire and upset the spirit in the camp, but that’s why we worked hard to bring in the right type of player, but its something we need to do to ensure we as a club move forward and keep the fans happy.

A quick look at the season preview shows that the bookies think we'll struggle and we know that they rarely get it wrong!
View attachment 99134