Let's talk about Tactic Testing for FM21

For me, i think a little more transparancy from the folks on the state of the testing. rather than the blackout. Or just the post tagging someone else.

I know its only 11 days or so, and in the grand scheme its nothing to worry about. Butwe are left in the dark and without data.

Agreed. Totally understand tactic testing is very time intensive and maybe people need a break, etc. But having nothing on here to say that or what is the hold up is a bit of a PR own goal.

The tactic testing was last updated over two weeks ago, meanwhile other sites are moving on with their testing, etc. I've stopped coming to this site now because it's not being updated and no-one has bothered to say if it will again. I'm guessing this site relies on advertising and page visits, etc, and that's presumably going to drop due to a lack of basic status messaging.

Really appreciate what FM Base has done for tactic support and if it's not possible to test tactics right now. Just seems basic to put a message on here to say the status though - seems weird to have put so much time and effort into your tactic testing to then just go completely silent on it.

1617386763202.png

Someone ele shared this, makes sense now.

for such a big site that earns so much money from us, I feel having it really on one person AND a remote connection feels verrrrrry sketchy

Firstly, we really don't earn "so much money" we just about cover the server costs. Secondly, for transparency, the testing is hosted on a server, just like this website and in case you're unaware, all servers require remote connection, but yes, in our specific case it's "sketchy". Giggiux was moving home from Switzerland to Italy and hasn't had any time to access the server nor the ability to. Sometimes life takes precedence.

Everything we offer on this site is free. We don't charge you to look at tactic results nor to download the files, and we've published almost 2,500 results on FM21 alone - so half a month off isn't going to kill anyone and things will be up and running right away.

Base is only a hobby for us, so please respect that sometimes life comes first.

Testing restarted with FM 21.4.0, it's running smoothly and with a bit of luck SI also sorted out random crashes that stopped continuous testing.

Regarding the remote connection concerns @DoubleR has:
- that specific remote connection software worked for me, without any issues, for more than 10 years. The company who maintains it suddenly changed licensing and that required a manual intervention on the host machine to continue working. Also by changing licensing they introduced some other limits, but that's another story.
- regarding the "only one person" has access to the server, it's just because, with the current state of the testing software, it would require more time to change the software to make it secure enough for other people except me to use (or to teach someone how to configure it), than just doing it by myself every now and then. It's something that as admins we already addressed and it's gonna change as soon as other priorities have been taken care of. It's not like it didn't work before or doesn't work now.
This particular occasion where I couldn't restart it was very unfortunate.

I will try to be more comunicative also in the forum (other than discord) when issues come up.

Testing restarted with FM 21.4.0, it's running smoothly and with a bit of luck SI also sorted out random crashes that stopped continuous testing.

Regarding the remote connection concerns @DoubleR has:
- that specific remote connection software worked for me, without any issues, for more than 10 years. The company who maintains it suddenly changed licensing and that required a manual intervention on the host machine to continue working. Also by changing licensing they introduced some other limits, but that's another story.
- regarding the "only one person" has access to the server, it's just because, with the current state of the testing software, it would require more time to change the software to make it secure enough for other people except me to use (or to teach someone how to configure it), than just doing it by myself every now and then. It's something that as admins we already addressed and it's gonna change as soon as other priorities have been taken care of. It's not like it didn't work before or doesn't work now.
This particular occasion where I couldn't restart it was very unfortunate.

I will try to be more comunicative also in the forum (other than discord) when issues come up.

thanks for the work you do, and happy the testing has been able to restart :)

Great to see testing is running again :)

A small suggestion for the future; If possible when a new patch/update and testing restarts, take the top 3/5/10 or similar and test fairly early in the test run, it could be a good way to see how much a new patch has affected the good tactics from a previous patch.

Great to see testing is running again :)

A small suggestion for the future; If possible when a new patch/update and testing restarts, take the top 3/5/10 or similar and test fairly early in the test run, it could be a good way to see how much a new patch has affected the good tactics from a previous patch.

We could definitely do that for the future, tbh I hope that SI will not release new major patches to FM21, so this suggestion could go for FM22.
But generally, with the current system, in 3/4 days of continuous testing the chances that at least 3 of the top 15 tactics of previous version are tested, is pretty high.

We could definitely do that for the future, tbh I hope that SI will not release new major patches to FM21, so this suggestion could go for FM22.
But generally, with the current system, in 3/4 days of continuous testing the chances that at least 3 of the top 15 tactics of previous version are tested, is pretty high.

Yeah it could be something for FM22, don't even mention SI and major patches together 'cause i'm tired of their endless messing with the ME:confused: making long term saves a bit complicated sometimes.

The test system seems quite fast, compared to the time I spend on an England only holiday test on my attemts to make a tactic or two.

I believe we're having a few issues with the latest update of Football Manager crashing more regularly on our test server. We're looking into it currently, perhaps @Luigi will have a more concise update.

Hello everyone,

As you've obviously noticed, we have had some issues with tactic testing the past month. It's up and running again, but at a much-reduced capacity. Unfortunately, we're experienced frequent crashes either caused by the latest FM patch or the latest FMRTE patch. @Luigi is working hard to resolve it.

Thanks for your patience.

@Liam @Luigi - Still got problems with the patches? or is my browser cache messing with the tested tactics page, cause it's showning; Last updated: 14 May, 3:10 am.

So how do you add your tactic to the queue? I have uploaded a few tactics now and none of them have been tested.