Lippo255

Reaction score
Prelude

For a while now I have been wanting to start a story using my beloved Deportivo la Coruna. My problem, however, is that I often find myself getting bored when restricted to staying with the one club, even if it is one I love, not to mention what would I do if I got fired from that club? The story would have to end!

It seemed like a dead end but then I read this http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2015-manager-stories/182486-jamie-carragher-managers-story.html & found my inspiration.

If I cant do a story about Deportivo the club why not do a little role playing, assume the role of a club legend & take his career into the next phase?

Perfect! But who?

I thought about the team that took Deportivo to their first & only title back in 1999/2000. Diego Tristan? Roy Makaay? No, both were only at the club a few years, important players but not club legends. Juan Carlos Valeron? He was definitely around long enough but he just didn't strike me as management material. Then it hit me, it could only be one person.....
who I will name later.

For this save I will be using LFC Marshall's latest update, starting unemployed as an international footballer with NO badges & wont be applying for any jobs before the January window so that my chosen legend can at least have a little break before jumping back into football.

For anyone that has been following http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2015-manager-stories/179631-get-india.html don't worry I am not giving up or moving on, my goal is still to keep it running from Beta till FM16. I will be doing both stories, switching back & forth depending on my mood.
;)

Hope you all enjoy!

Last edited:
glad to see this trend continueing.

I feel bad for your india save. you never seem to make any real progress tword your end goal no matter how sucessful you are.

Manuel Pablo Retires

View attachment 302247

"After talking it over with my family, friends & coaching staff here at Deportivo I have decided that the time has come for me to retire. I would like to thank all the club, the staff & all fans who have supported me through out the years.'

Reporter: "What bought you to this decision? Why now?

"After struggling through pre-season I just felt like my body would not hold up to the riggers of a long La Liga campaign. I have always given my heart & soul for this team, to be capable of giving any less would be unacceptable to me."

"What does the future hold for Manuel Pablo?"

"Well I'm going to start by taking a little time away from the game, not too long, but after that I would very much like to get involved in management. I have spoken with Victor Fernandez & he has assured me that there will always be a place here for me but when I asked him to quit so I could take over as manager he just laughed!

"Who knows where I might turn up, hopefully one day I will be successful & return to the club I love as manager but we will have to wait & see."

Manuel Pablo, A brief biography.

View attachment 302206Born in Arucas, Las Palmas, Manuel Pablo was only 22 when he joined Deportivo de La Coruña from hometown's UD Las Palmas in the summer of 1998. He made his La Liga debut on 15 November 1998 in a 2–2 home draw against Deportivo Alavés, but faced serious competition from Armando Álvarez in his first season, appearing in just 14 league matches.

Pablo played 74 games from 1999 to 2001, and was a vital part of ''Depor'''s defence as the Galicians were crowned La Liga champions in 2000 for the first time in their history. His performances earned him a debut with the Spanish national team on 16 August 2000, in a 1–4 away defeat to Germany.

In his fourth season at A Coruña, disaster struck: on 30 September 2001, Manuel Pablo sustained an horrific tibia injury during the Galician derby against Celta de Vigo, in a televised match, after an unlucky tackle by Everton Giovanella, he missed the rest of the campaign.

One year later Pablo returned, playing the full 90 minutes against CD Corralejo in a Copa del Rey & On 6 October 2002 he was handed his league return by coach Javier Irureta, coming out as a late substitute in the 0–2 home loss against Racing de Santander.

In the 2003–04 La Liga closing stages Manuel Pablo proved he was fully recovered, as displayed in an excellent individual display on 7 April 2004 in a 4–0 second leg 2003–04 UEFA Champions League quarterfinal crushing of A.C. Milan. From then onwards, he was the undisputed right-back at Estadio Riazor (although he faced stiff competition from Álvaro Arbeloa in the 2006–07 La Liga campaign until the latter departed for Liverpool F.C. in January 2007).

In the following two seasons Pablo remained first-choice at his position, although he was challenged by younger Laure in 2008–09.

Recent years have seen the Depor stalwart take a back seat to younger players such as the aforementioned Laure however, he remained an important part of Deportivo's defence & will be sadly missed in the dressing room.

Last edited:
January 1st 2015

Manuel certainly enjoyed his time away from the game however, it occurred to him that when you find yourself challenging Spiderman to a hard core dance off on the streets of Tokyo, perhaps you have a little too much time on your hands.

View attachment 302149

So it was time to get back to reality & start the next phase of his career. After whipping up a quick resume it was time to hit the want adds.

View attachment 302150
View attachment 302151

Unfortunately Manuel was to find no available jobs in his native Spain, however he did notice a few opportunities to begin his management career in England.

View attachment 302148

He decided the Premier League may be a bit out of reach for a Spaniard who is yet to complete any coaching courses so immediately ruled out applying for the Stoke position.

The Championship was perhaps an option with Middlesbrough, Cardiff & Wolves all looking for a new boss however, the chances of him landing one of those jobs would be slim considering the fierce competition for employment in England.

He finally decided that his best chance of landing a job would be in League 1, preferring the Bradford or Notts County positions but applying for the Doncaster role just in case.

He also applied for the Rizespor position, in the Turkisk top flight, on the off chance of landing a top division job to begin his career.

There is nothing left to do now but sit back & hope for a phone call.

Look's like a good start! Didn't follow the other story as I'm not the biggest fan of the small leagues etc, but akways tried to because I liked the layout and presentation of the story, I can see myself enjoying this! Nice to see you got the inspiration from my story too!

Look's like a good start! Didn't follow the other story as I'm not the biggest fan of the small leagues etc, but akways tried to because I liked the layout and presentation of the story, I can see myself enjoying this! Nice to see you got the inspiration from my story too!

Cheers mate, I intend to have a bit of fun with it so hopefully it will be an enjoyable read!

View attachment 776804

Notts County Hire Manuel Pablo

View attachment 301765

Relegation threatened Notts County have today unveiled former Deportivo la Coruna player, & first time manager, Manuel Pablo (36) as their new boss. The Spaniard is facing a baptism of fire with the Magpies sitting in 20th position, just one point above the relegation zone, with fans already questioning the logic of appointing such an inexperienced manager.

For his part the former Spanish international seemed calm & confident when asked about his new role.

"I am no stranger to the threat of relegation & have complete confidence, not only in my own ability, but in that of our squad. We will not be going down!" He quipped with a rye smile.

Manuel Pablo's first game in charge will be a 6 pointer against fellow League 1 strugglers Bristol City (19th) on the 10th of January.

Last edited:
How can I not follow this when your India story was such a joy to read. Looking forward to see this unfold mate :)

View attachment 301023

Club Overview

Facilities

View attachment 301019 * Home Ground: Meadow Lane, Capacity - 20300

* Rent - 15k P/A

* Training Facilities - Average

* Youth Facilities - Adequate

* Corporate Facilities - Average

* Junior Coaching - Adequate

* Youth Recruitment - Average

Honours & Records

View attachment 301016

Player Records

* Most League Appearances - Albert Iremonger, 564.

* Top League Goalscorer - Tom Keetley, 39 (1930/31)

* Fastest Goal - Barrie Jones, 6 seconds

* Youngest Player - Jermaine Pennant, 15 years 352 days

View attachment 300998

* Oldest Player - Gary Jones, 37 years 218 days

Team Records

* Highest Attendance - 47,310 vs York 1955

* Biggest Win - 15-0 vs Rotherham 1985

* Biggest Defeat - 9-1 vs Portsmouth 1927

* Highest League Position - 3rd in the Premier Division

* Lowest League Position - 21st in League 2

* Highest Fee Paid - 1,000,000 For Kasper Schmiechel, 2009

View attachment 300997

* Highest Fee Received - 2,500,000 - Craig Short to Derby, 1992

View attachment 300693

Squad Overview

View attachment 300691
View attachment 300690

Initial Thoughts

Manuel was to be greeted by an aging squad in desperate need of rejuvenation.

Having been involved in relegation battles himself he understood the need for some experienced heads around the place, however he also knew that there would be no substitute for the enthusiasm that having some exciting youngsters would bring.

Like anything in football the key is to get the balance right & that was to be the first challenge of his new career.

Having inherited a club already over its wage budget & receiving just a 230k transfer budget mass changes were out of the question so it was time to have a closer look at what he had to work with.

Veterans

Hayden Mullins
View attachment 300681

The current Notts County captain has a wealth of experience both in the Championship & Premier League. At 35 he is past his prime but his leadership may prove invaluable to a side struggling against the drop.

Roy Carroll
View attachment 300680

Another guy with a wealth of experience, not only in England, but from all around Europe. 37 but its not uncommon for a keeper to play at a high level well into his 40's so could still be an important player.

Youngsters

Blair Adams
View attachment 300675

23 year old LB Blair Adams looks to be the best of the younger brigade. Not spectacular in any area but a solid all rounder who would not look out of place higher up the divisions.

Jeremy Balmy
View attachment 300672

The young Frenchman looks to be very raw but with a little development could prove to be an important player for Manuel. He has electric pace but his work rate & technical attributes will need to improve if he is to play a regular role in the Spaniards plans.

P.S. - Apologies for the misaligned squad list, I obviously have cropped them differently. It is ******* me off but not enough to try fix it lol ;)

Last edited:
View attachment 300270

Bristol City 2 - Notts County 1

P.O.M. - Kieran Agard (Bristol City)

View attachment 300228Manuel's Musing's

"An absolutely terrible performance. Despite the score line we were played off the park for most of the game & were very lucky to get as close as we did.

Its obvious the guys are lacking confidence, everything they did was slow & tentative, far too predictable.

Its going to be a long road rebuilding not only the team but the belief & confidence of the players. Relegation is going to be a real threat if we don't improve QUICKLY!"

Last edited:
Ok, so have spent most of the day fidgeting with the layout on the above post & think i am now reasonably happy with it. Am planning on doing monthly updates with a Manuel's Monthly Musings at the end of each month.

So what does everyone think? A few brief match reports like above followed by Manuels thoughts on what has happened at the end, Ok? Just want this to have a different feel to my other story.

Last edited:
View attachment 299865

Norwich Sign Spiess

Norwich City have completed the signing of 20 year old goalkeeper Fabian Spiess from Notts County. The Canaries are thought to have paid a fee of 1,000,000 pounds for the youngster who was apparently deemed expendable by new boss Manuel Pablo.

Spiess turned down both Manchester City & Everton to join the Canaries.

View attachment 299859
Manuel Pablo sez: "A cool mil for Spiess? Obviously English clubs have to much cash on their hands!!!"