Livepool smooth attack (4-4-2): high scoring and flamboyant

ArturoDomini

Reaction score
Hi all! I would like to introduce you to my tactic. I created it specifically for Liverpool and made it the way I wanted, with no compromise. My inspiraton was the original Brendan Rodgers team.

TACTICS: it is 4-4-2/4-2-4, attacking minded. The main idea is to play a quick ball on the ground, with short passes, usually through the wings. The main component of attacking play in this set up are one-two's done by the front four. therefore you need quick and agile players in this area, to take advantage. They must be good passers too.

Another crucial part of attack is deep lying playmaker and his through balls, usually to both wingers breaking the offside trap and setting up strikers with a well placed pass or just hitting the goal.
Because in the middle there are only two players, responsible for both attack and defense, I set the team to be fluid. It will also benefit the wingers who would exchange some passes with full backs up the pitch.
As for defending, initially I made the back line stick closer to the half line, preferably to break the oppositions attacks as quick as possible. However, it resulted in us conceding many goals as a result of through passes or even long balls towards advancing wingers or strikers. Therefore I put the back line closer to the keeper and the positive effects came instantly.

View attachment 387222

TRAINING: in the build up to the season i set general training and match prep to tactics only. When the season starts general tr. is balances and match prep. focused on defending. It is important to give a lot of attention to defending, as the tatctic is very attack-minded. I'm considering even trying to set gen. training to def.
The results of it were visible during the season. In the game, after the new year, so basically in the second half of the season, I notices supstantial improvement in a defending play of my players, especially back four. They were able to intercept the opp. attacks better and did not let majority of through balls past them.

ADVANTAGES of my tactic: the best thing about my tactic is flamboyant attacking play, scoring lots of goals and often dominating the play.

DISADVANTAGES: playing against better teams you would have to be more carefull. Although the majority of goals concedes against the 'big guns' came from silly mistakes made by particular players.
What frustrated me most, though, was sometimes how the strikers performed in front of goal. They would have many shots at goal but none went past the keeper. But that happens a lot in this game, i think :)

It's still mid-season. I think that in the second year the tactic will kick in completely and the results will get even better!

Here you have some of the scores and better look at my team:

View attachment 387219View attachment 387218View attachment 387217

View attachment 387216View attachment 387215View attachment 387214View attachment 387213
View attachment 387212View attachment 387211View attachment 387210View attachment 387197

THE TACTIC: View attachment 387209

P.S. Sorry for my English. It's not my mother tongue :)

Last edited:
No oi at the moment. I'll get a closer look at it soon. Right now I'm working on defense. We still concede too many goals.

Impressive results!
Going to try it with my save with Sporting CP.
I will let you know how is it going so far

Ok gonna test with my aston villa team, 3rd season, I just signed rooney lol and have some good youngsters

Only conceding 4 goals in your last 13 league games is impressive, especially with an attacking tactic.

Only conceding 4 goals in your last 13 league games is impressive, especially with an attacking tactic.

Yes, defending improved massively in the second half of the season, especially towards the end. I guess it's thanks to the training i set. Like I said before, defenreds and midfielders started to move more smartly and intercepted opponents actions. That's why I'm sooo looking forward to the next season.

Iv'e missed the good old 4-2-4, I'm going to try this with Newcastle

first friendly match against one of the biggest teams in the world

View attachment 574227 View attachment 574229

1 question though, if I put the IF on the right where HBA is would I have to reverse the mids & STK roles?

My rule in this tactic is that I put attack-minded players on one side, and support/defend on the other. I think it would prevent the formation from breaking, e.g.: on the right i have Sterling on support, so theoretically a little bit further back. Therefore, behind him is a midfielder also put back (defending mid). On the other side, an attacking right winger is backed by more attack oriented player, so he is closer to his partner. But, in a fluid formation, it is not that important, though.

My rule in this tactic is that I put attack-minded players on one side, and support/defend on the other. I think it would prevent the formation from breaking, e.g.: on the right i have Sterling on support, so theoretically a little bit further back. Therefore, behind him is a midfielder also put back (defending mid). On the other side, an attacking right winger is backed by more attack oriented player, so he is closer to his partner. But, in a fluid formation, it is not that important, though.

ok cheers mate, I think I might leave it as it is considering the best inside forwards happen to be right footed :p

Not bad so far, had one game in pre-season and then this one. Won La Liga in first season with another tactic, so lets see if I can retain it with this!

View attachment 386823