Liverpool agree fee for Downing

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 117
  • Views Views 6K
no chance of you getting mata imo you have no European football

European Football isn't the be all and end all you know. Yes, players like to play in European competitions, but as we've already seen - it isn't a deciding factor. As Commolli said, some players actually don't mind us not being in Europe, as they think it means we can be more competitve domestically.

Meh re;Mata. I think if we pulled it out, we could get him, but I don't see were he fits in. Would rather make sure we're strengthened in other areas like left back.

Re Downing haters who 'dont rate him':

Don't remember too many left wingers with his assist record and his time at Middlesbrough involved England caps/assists left right and centre and he dragged a team to a UEFA Cup final. Don't remember N'Zogbia doing anything like that for Newcastle?

Downing steps it up, amazing player and amazing lad anyone who doubts him obviously doesn't know much about his career is all I would say.

European Football isn't the be all and end all you know. Yes, players like to play in European competitions, but as we've already seen - it isn't a deciding factor. As Commolli said, some players actually don't mind us not being in Europe, as they think it means we can be more competitve domestically.

For Mata it is, plus he doesnt want to go and Valencia dont want to sell unless they have to, it'd a bidding war, and one you'd probably lose

For Mata it is, plus he doesnt want to go and Valencia dont want to sell unless they have to, it'd a bidding war, and one you'd probably lose

Agreed. I can see Mata moving from Valencia if somebody bids £23+ mil for him and have CL football, a good chance at winning their domestic league, a team who will play attractive football and I'm sure a nice pay package wouldn't go a miss either. Chelsea fit that bill, although it is yet to be seen whether they will make any sort of approach or whether he's a backup target. Arsenal potentially fit that bill, but it all depends on whether Wenger is prepared to spend big (big for Wenger that is). Saying all that I think he will probably stay at Valencia, but if Chelsea up their interest I have a feeling he could join us. Also rumours about United being in for him, but I'm not too sure on that. Can't blame SAF if he is though, Mata's a top player, young and cheap if you compare him to the fees that are flying around atm.

Agreed. I can see Mata moving from Valencia if somebody bids £23+ mil for him and have CL football, a good chance at winning their domestic league, a team who will play attractive football and I'm sure a nice pay package wouldn't go a miss either. Chelsea fit that bill, although it is yet to be seen whether they will make any sort of approach or whether he's a backup target. Arsenal potentially fit that bill, but it all depends on whether Wenger is prepared to spend big (big for Wenger that is). Saying all that I think he will probably stay at Valencia, but if Chelsea up their interest I have a feeling he could join us. Also rumours about United being in for him, but I'm not too sure on that. Can't blame SAF if he is though, Mata's a top player, young and cheap if you compare him to the fees that are flying around atm.

United wont be in for Mata, well stocked on the flanks.

United wont be in for Mata, well stocked on the flanks.

Well yeah that's what I think. Some seem to think he's an alternative for Sneijder though, but he's not that sort of player really. He can play centrally, but only really just off the strikers, he'd be ineffective in CM imo.

I'm not saying it's not important, I just don't think it's as important as some people make out.

Also, I'm sure Mata's agent has been saying he'd be open to a move to Liverpool. I may be wrong though.

Well yeah that's what I think. Some seem to think he's an alternative for Sneijder though, but he's not that sort of player really. He can play centrally, but only really just off the strikers, he'd be ineffective in CM imo.

In the middle he's even more advanced than Sneijder. Like you say, almost ineffective at CM

In the middle he's even more advanced than Sneijder. Like you say, almost ineffective at CM

He actually has his second best whoscored rating at MC. Not saying he's an MC at all, just either that he isn't that ineffective there or that you can't always count with stats.

He actually has his second best whoscored rating at MC. Not saying he's an MC at all, just either that he isn't that ineffective there or that you can't always count with stats.

its such a small sample, not quite sure what the point is

its such a small sample, not quite sure what the point is

Obviously the point is what I just wrote. "Not saying he's an MC at all, just either that he isn't that ineffective there or that you can't always count with stats".

Obviously the point is what I just wrote. "Not saying he's an MC at all, just either that he isn't that ineffective there or that you can't always count with stats".

But you can't draw that conclusion from one game

but its a ridiculous thing to say, its a small sample so its hard to build a context. Steven Fletcher was utterly brilliant against us, doesnt mean i'd buy him on one performance. All things have to be looked at in context. For the record they were as an Advanced MC in front of two DM's, not sitting alongside another MC

Not sure its worth a debate....

Anyway be interesting to see if there are any more developments at Anfield. Surely they need to get rid of the deadwood, they are paying CL wages without the CL revenue

Dunno if its been mentioned but 6+5 rule anyone?

The 6+5 Rule (MUST READ FOR ALL LFC FANS) - The Kop Blog post - Liverpool FC

Many LFC supporters are unhappy with the fact that we are going for young and British. But many of them dont know the 6+5 rule and its implications. The 6+5 rule has a massive impact on the way our targets are determined. In fact out of our last 5 acquisitions (im counting Stewart downing) 4 of them are British and of that four 3 of them are English. Simply put the 6+5 rule is rule that requires, At the beginning of each match, each club must field at least six players eligible to play for the national team of the country of the club. There is no restriction, however, on the number of non-eligible players under contract with the club, nor on substitutes to avoid non-sportive constraints on the coaches (potentially 3+8 at the end of a match). Knowing that we can see why it affects our transfers and starting line up.
The ruling was passed May 30th 2008. However FIFA gave clubs the chance to re-adjust their system. The 2010-2011 season it was 4+7 (meaning 4 of the teams starting 11 have to be eligible playing for the country the club represents). Next season (2011-2012) it will be 5+7 and the season after that (2012-2013) it will take into full effect with 6+5. With that in mind we can see why players like Henderson, Jones, Downing all went for large amounts. The rule forces teams to shop within their own country and PL clubs will hike up their price knowing that other PL teams are desperate. Its simple Economics; Supply and Demand. The Demand for Young English players has risen due to other teams wanting them and clubs having to sell to PL rivals. So LFC actually buying young British players is just good business however you look at it. Even a flop can sell for a high price due to other teams needing to fill a quota.
Lets review how it affects our transfer targets. Most LFC fans desperately want Juan Mata and truth be told the sexiest transfers that people want to see are players outside England. Most fans would rather go for Mata than Stewart Downing. If Valencia would go for downing he would cost less than 20 million. Thats because Valencia arent in the PL and are not competing with Aston Villa and Valencia are not desperate for english talent. Mata's price is Justified due to his skill but Downing's is due to Villa's reluctance to let him go; even Arsenal put in a 18 million bid for Downing. While Mata is younger, and arguably more skillful and has more potential he goes for about the same price if not a little more. But Downing is the preferred on due to this rule.
The Exodus of our unwanted or surplus to requirements players will be to make room for more players to fill the quota so we can be a balanced team. When creating a team we must think of depth. Since 6 players need to be fielded it would be wise to have more depth of players that are eligible incase one of the 6 gets injured. So for the likes of Carroll, Henderson and Downing were all over paid for was because of this rule. The younger the player the more time to establish them we have and we can resale them for more value or resale them even if they are a flop.
New acquisitions excluded our starting 11 (hypothetically all being healthy. This line up is with the best 11) before the summer would be Reina, Kelly, Carragher, Agger, Johnson (of the back four we can already see that we are in need of an LB. so with a new LB one of Kelly or Johnson will be benched) Lucas, Meireles, Gerrard, Kuyt, Carroll, Suarez. Of that starting 11, 5 are eligible (Kelly, Johnson, Carragher, Gerrard, Carroll). Kelly who is a CB but now is becoming a RB and Johnson play the same position so im counting both of them as 1; So now that brings it down to 4. Looking at that line up we can see why LFC are willing to pay large amounts for young English talent.
Though I, like most LFC fans, still want Mata, we can not ignore the 6+5 rule and must abide by them. Learning and Knowing the 6+5 rule will help us understand a little more about our transfers. We have been linked to many players hopefully a few more come in. Its an exciting time and we as fans must support the club even if we are not satisfied with the player the club has brought in. This will give us a better understanding to why english players are costing a lot and why our transfer policies are what they are. Every fans want the sexy acquisition that will make us jump for joy but being most of those are outside british we will have to make due and watch how our teams molds together in the upcoming years. Because, in the end, that is all we can do.

P.s. Please feel free to write your comments ans share your thoughts. I will respond to comments so check back to see if i responded to yours. Check out my other blogs and remember to leave feedback. Thank You!

I take it they have to be english and not welsh or scottish??

Back