Liverpool agree fee for Downing

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 117
  • Views Views 6K
Now there's a surprise!

Well, i am a little biased.. but when you can get players like Ozil, Young, Nasri and co for much cheaper the fee seems a little expensive.

But hey, who knows maybe ill eat my words. Daglish is going to have a struggle picking a midfield next season! Who does he play wing? Henderson, Downing, Kuyt?

Where will he going to play, for villa last season he played on the right.

Well, i am a little biased.. but when you can get players like Ozil, Young, Nasri and co for much cheaper the fee seems a little expensive.

But hey, who knows maybe ill eat my words. Daglish is going to have a struggle picking a midfield next season! Who does he play wing? Henderson, Downing, Kuyt?

Young was virtually the same price, and Downing had a better season performance wise.

Ozil was cheap becuase of his release clause

Nasri would cost 25M

Also Downing is the best crosser in the league, and so far yet to find a better left wing crosser in the big 5 leagues, (remember thats why they are buying him)

They are also buying him from a club who didnt want to or need to sell, and he had two years left and cost them 12m. 16.5m rising to 20m is about right

Young was virtually the same price, and Downing had a better season performance wise.

Ozil was cheap becuase of his release clause

Nasri would cost 25M

Also Downing is the best crosser in the league, and so far yet to find a better left wing crosser in the big 5 leagues, (remember thats why they are buying him)

They are also buying him from a club who didnt want to or need to sell, and he had two years left and cost them 12m. 16.5m rising to 20m is about right

There is no doubt on his day he is quality! But 20m seems a bit much for a player who is average at best most games. But then the whole argument of if he had a striker to look for he would of got more assists. He to means seems a worthless signing for Liverpool, a winger isn't their weakest area.

There is no doubt on his day he is quality! But 20m seems a bit much for a player who is average at best most games. But then the whole argument of if he had a striker to look for he would of got more assists. He to means seems a worthless signing for Liverpool, a winger isn't their weakest area.

except he clearly wasnt average other wise he wouldnt have racked up the performances. again find me a better crosser europe. we already know hes the best crosser in the league. average statistical rating of 7.11, best in his side
and left wing isnt their one of their weakest areas? Clearly you dont pay attention to liverpool. They have been crying for an out an out left wing for at least 2 years

Downing is a natural left footed winger who whips in a lot of crosses, I don't see how he is worthless as neither Kuyt, Henderson or Maxi Rodriguez fit any of those criteria.

Left winger's the biggest problem, or one of at least. Last real winger we've had is Riera, and he was only good in his first half of his first season. Maxi's a good player, but not a real winger, Kuyt's a hero, but he'll be a striker this season.

So yeah, Doni coming in, then a left back and centre back, perhaps and we're done. But to the honest we can cope without a new lb or cb.

except he clearly wasnt average other wise he wouldnt have racked up the performances. again find me a better crosser europe. we already know hes the best crosser in the league. average statistical rating of 7.11, best in his side
and left wing isnt their one of their weakest areas? Clearly you dont pay attention to liverpool. They have been crying for an out an out left wing for at least 2 years

I didn't say he wasn't the best crosser, though getting crosses in isn't everything a winger has to do. Dirk Kuyt could of played out their if needed with Henderson out the right so it wasn't something they desperately needed like say a left-back or right back for that matter cause Glen Johnson cannot defend!

Downing is a natural left footed winger who whips in a lot of crosses, I don't see how he is worthless as neither Kuyt, Henderson or Maxi Rodriguez fit any of those criteria.

exactly my point, now expand that to the league and europe, and try and find players with his consistent crossing available for less. I've been trying but genuinely cant spot any

exactly my point, now expand that to the league and europe, and try and find players with his consistent crossing available for less. I've been trying but genuinely cant spot any

Thats good, and it makes a good attribute for a winger to have but its not everything. Its a major part of a wingers game but they have to more than good crosser's.

Also, is that stat a rating for Successful crosses or crosses made?

I didn't say he wasn't the best crosser, though getting crosses in isn't everything a winger has to do. Dirk Kuyt could of played out their if needed with Henderson out the right so it wasn't something they desperately needed like say a left-back or right back for that matter cause Glen Johnson cannot defend!

You miss the point entirely. they are buying him for his ability to cross and hit the striker with the direct ball and no one does it better. They are not buying him for running inside channels, or clever trickery. They want an intelligent winger who can consistently cross the ball/crossfield the ball onto the forwards head/feet. None of their players offer that, ask any liverpool fan

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

Thats good, and it makes a good attribute for a winger to have but its not everything. Its a major part of a wingers game but they have to more than good crosser's.

Also, is that stat a rating for Successful crosses or crosses made?

sucessful crosses. and see my previous

His crossing could certainly be helpful in getting Carroll to find the net quite alot.

You miss the point entirely. they are buying him for his ability to cross and hit the striker with the direct ball and no one does it better. They are not buying him for running inside channels, or clever trickery. They want an intelligent winger who can consistently cross the ball/crossfield the ball onto the forwards head/feet. None of their players offer that, ask any liverpool fan

Oh. Well if your stat is correct, then he should be a perfect fit in Liverpool especially with someone like Caroll to aim for. And i do admit Liverpool dont have a crosser of the ball who can plant a ball on the strikers head when needed.

Oh. Well if your stat is correct, then he should be a perfect fit in Liverpool especially with someone like Caroll to aim for. And i do admit Liverpool dont have a crosser of the ball who can plant a ball on the strikers head when needed.

thats all they want from him

Are there better "left wingers" ? certainly yes

But, are there better left wingers who can do what he does and what liverpool are looking for? No

and that is why liverpool are buying him

Ah, Zeb. Whichever way you cut it, £16.5m plus addons of £3.5m still equals £20m (unless they're some bonkers addons as you imply), though I haven't found any details suggesting it's anything other than the sum in full. Still, suppose I was right about Downing fetching £20m hm? ;)

Wait and see ;) Villatalk will be happy that they've got their perceived value of the player right now and Lerner looks like he's played hardball and reluctantly accepted an offer he couldn't turn down for a player who wanted to leave so let's not rain on the parade. :)

Henderson deal was £20m too btw. Which was a surprise to Comolli who thought it was £13.5m :D

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Decent, reliable player. Not flashy but consistently gets his job done. We wanted him when he left Boro but board wouldn't sanction deal. We got Riera instead and ended up pushing on for a tilt at title. Think this will be a very solid signing for a player who'll add to the team.

Are you mad?

Kuyt left wing and henderson right when we have Carroll in the box? <)
Johnson was playing class at LB from January on.

Kelly is RB, we don't need one.

Back