Liverpool complete Cole signing

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 63
  • Views Views 3K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't see this coming. The reason we can pay his wages is because a transfer fee wasn't needed, we got him on a free thus giving us extra to pay on his wages. Well done Roy Hodgson, you're starting to win me over now.

True what you say about the wages... But its still alot for a club in 300+Million debt

Also...

Roy Hodgson, you're starting to win me over now
Come on mate. thats not the liverpool way. We support our managers and team.

I love the way Liverpool finish outside the top 4 for the first time since 2005, and all of a sudden we are " Smaller than spurs " and a Small club.

Excuse me,... Name a English club whose more successful than Liverpool...

Welcome to Liverpool Joe. Good buy from Roy.

YNWA

No one is saying Spurs are a bigger club than Liverpool.

Just that Cole said it's his main priority to be playing Champions League football, then he goes to Liverpool who aren't in the Champions League.

I'm feeling gutted and happy in a way - just from an Evertonian's perspective - from this signing.

Gutted because I'm sure he'll do well for Liverpool, and under Woy but happy because, and this will offend some people but in theory its just some 'rivalry banter', its ******** Liverpool up a bit more if they don't get a buyer soon. £96,000 per week for a player that missed some of last season with a knee injury, and has missed fair bits over the year due to his injury proneness, could blow up in Roy's face.

Can't imagine him in a Liverpool shirt. oO)

Ahhhh I had a slight hope he was coming to the Hammers....

True what you say about the wages... But its still alot for a club in 300+Million debt

Also...

Come on mate. thats not the liverpool way. We support our managers and team.

What I said about wages was that the high wages doesn't make much of a difference because they make up for it being a free transfer. Also, I never said I wasn't behind him, I want him to do well. I'd of just preffered Rafa to stay and us save the money we have spent on compensation etc.

What I said about wages was that the high wages doesn't make much of a difference because they make up for it being a free transfer. Also, I never said I wasn't behind him, I want him to do well. I'd of just preffered Rafa to stay and us save the money we have spent on compensation etc.

Fair enough, I was angry when rafa got sacked. I Thought he was the right man for the job ;)

Yes because Liverpool are a smaller club than Tottenham now just because they failed to reach the Champions League for the first year since like 2004 :S

Exactly.

1. Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in the world with a rich history and fan base.

2. Spurs are in the champions league qualifiers (lets not get too ahead of ourselves just yet) and it is there first season in doing so. Liverpool may not be there this year but over the last ten years, very often?

3. We don't know how much Joe Cole is on, just because someone blurts out a figure, doesn't mean it's true.

4. Yes he said when he left Chelsea, he wanted to play in the champions league but perhaps he had more confidence in the offer from Liverpool and first team assurances?

I doub't the soul reason for his move is financial, give the guy a break.

He is an amazing footballer and a great pick up on a free transfer, brings technical ability, a sweet cross ball and isn't afraid to run at players. Great Deal.

Fair enough, I was angry when rafa got sacked. I Thought he was the right man for the job ;)

I felt the same mate, if he hadn't got so much stick from the press, I doubt the Yanks would of felt the need to get rid of him. Of course though, I am behind Hodgson.

Would have liked to see him at the Gunners but oh well:P
Liverpool will be very happy with this signing .... I wish the guy luck

Let's be honest guys I doubt there was very little difference in the wage offers from Liverpool and Tottenham/ Arsenal [if they even offered], however we have the cash from the Benayoun deal which works out at £5.5m + £3m p/year we are saving on wages so it is hardly a terrible deal, and is the type of signings we need to make if we are going to start challenging again!

Steady on mate, LFC are light years ahead of spurs, consistency-wise.

Look at the comparative records for CL qualifying & trophy-winning over the last 10-20-30+ years. You don't become a bigger club than LFC in just one season. Look at the larger picture : Liverpool are a football institution, with many millions of fans all over the world.

Spurs will have to do the biz over many years to be able to boast that they're bigger than L4

I was being sarcastic - I'm a Liverpool fan lol.

Last edited:
Thought Spurs would of been a better move for him, but he's a quality player and will start for sure.

i would have been understanding if he went to spurs i really would have but now at a club level hes forgotten about to me.

Great deal by Roy to be honest, he is turning 'Pool positive again. ;)

im pretty sure if you are on a free you can ask for a singing on fee which you could be as a high as the player wants. just because Liverpool haven't paid Chelsea doesn't mean they haven't give him a cheque for 3-5 million

not 100% sure tho

im pretty sure if you are on a free you can ask for a singing on fee which you could be as a high as the player wants. just because Liverpool haven't paid Chelsea doesn't mean they haven't give him a cheque for 3-5 million

not 100% sure tho

if your a free transfer the signign on fee usealy is higher mate you are right, im not sure how much it was but you can imagine how much michael ballacks was at chelsea ay.

him choosing liverpool over a team in the champions league proves his only in it for the money

i did have alot of time for joe cole but now i have changed my mind totaly. yes i thank him for the memories and his performances he put in mostly good for chelsea but this is a huge sign of greed. well done pool for the signing i have nothing against them in all this at all. im pretty sure he said he wanted champions league football??? it looks to me as if he went to the first team who actually offerd him what he wanted, he is apparently a chelsea fan is he **** chelsea offered him 80k a week and he rejected. all i can say is if he is really like this then im glad his left. chelsea bring through josh mcearchran the new injury free joe cole.

I didn't say tottenham was a bigger club than Liverpool but let's face it, he has gone to pool because of the money

and yes Essien along with Mikel and Robben were all on the verge of joining United before Chelsea stepped in and offered more money just like City are doing

I've heard that Liverpool offered around £90k p/w and Arsenal and Spurs offered him around £80k p/w - If that's the case, that is not a lot of difference at all with todays wages in football so surely Roy must have done something right.

And those of you spouting about him playing for the money (Don't worry, I've quoted you here. And admittedly, I am not surprised who has said it) Get a grip! Have you not thought it might because he wants regular first team football?

Arsenal - Have Arshavin, Nasri and Rosicky who can play in the 'AMC' role - Cole's preferred position.

Spurs - I doubt he would want to compete with Luca Modric for an attacking midfield position, again first team football isn't anything they could guarantee.

Chelsea - They aren't going to drop Lampard for him are they!

Liverpool - Gerrard, that's about it. He can easily drop into Centre Midfield. So surely it was the attraction of first-team football which made him join.

I've heard that Liverpool offered around £90k p/w and Arsenal and Spurs offered him around £80k p/w - If that's the case, that is not a lot of difference at all with todays wages in football so surely Roy must have done something right.

And those of you spouting about him playing for the money (Don't worry, I've quoted you here. And admittedly, I am not surprised who has said it) Get a grip! Have you not thought it might because he wants regular first team football?

Arsenal - Have Arshavin, Nasri and Rosicky who can play in the 'AMC' role - Cole's preferred position.

Spurs - I doubt he would want to compete with Luca Modric for an attacking midfield position, again first team football isn't anything they could guarantee.

Chelsea - They aren't going to drop Lampard for him are they!

Liverpool - Gerrard, that's about it. He can easily drop into Centre Midfield. So surely it was the attraction of first-team football which made him join.

he would get regular first team football at spurs, arsenal and man utd all them teams need a player like joe cole. its obvious none of the teams above including chelsea would pay him what he wanted which in my mind is greedy. he said he wanted champions league football what happend to that. im not saying liverpool are a bad club because i would have to be mentaly insane and stupid but it dosent look good towards him it does look like money came first in this deal.

he would get regular first team football at spurs, arsenal and man utd all them teams need a player like joe cole. its obvious none of the teams above including chelsea would pay him what he wanted which in my mind is greedy. he said he wanted champions league football what happend to that. im not saying liverpool are a bad club because i would have to be mentaly insane and stupid but it dosent look good towards him it does look like money came first in this deal.

How in any way do neither Spurs or Arsenal have a player like that? I mentioned Spurs have Modric and Arsenal have Arshavin. Very similar players.

Oh and United ruled themselves out of the running weeks ago.

How in any way do neither Spurs or Arsenal have a player like that? I mentioned Spurs have Modric and Arsenal have Arshavin. Very similar players.

Oh and United ruled themselves out of the running weeks ago.

to me cole is better than arshavin plus i will add cole is english and i think especially redknapp would have played cole first team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back