Liverpool complete Poulsen signing

• Thread starter Thread starter DMF
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 60
  • Views Views 4K
I've heard pretty strong murmurings that Robben has been approached by the *****, and if this is the case, I think this is an excellent counter signing. A front four of
Cole------------Gerrard-----------Robben
-------------------Torres------------------

is pretty scary and with Poulsen and Lucas behind could work really well, as much as I hate to say it.
cant see robben leaving last years champions league finalists to play in the europa league

I, for one, am rather pleased with the signing. Yes, he is not Maccherano, but he will do the dirty work in midfield, he is a professional. He is a player who can help us progress in the short term. When times are difficult, as they are now, we need this sort of player who will give his shift. He's a worker. And as seen in the Kaka video, he is physical and can do your chores in the middle, that is Kaka at his prime[in my opinion].

£4.5m is a steal, Mr. Hodgson has impressed me with his planning thus far.

It would make more sense for Hodgson to play Poulsen or Aquilani or whoever he sees as Mascherano's replacement on Sunday to get his team shaped, rather than play Mascherano for him to leave a week later and have to re-shape the team again.

It can't be Aquaman - he's an advanced playmaker or an attacking midfielder at best. He's not an enforcer - that job will be played by Poulsen or, at a pinch, Lucas ). If Aquilani put his foot in, he'd just hurt himself - it's just not his game. He'll be understudying JC I'm thinking. :O

Last edited:
Very happy with this he will do all the dirty work in midfield and give gerrard an cole a lot more freedom. Cant wait to see him dishing out some pain in the prem haha and just annoying everyone. Roy is making some well thought out signing and hopefully can get 1 or 2 more decent players in with the mascherano moeny if thats available.

I've heard pretty strong murmurings that Robben has been approached by the *****, and if this is the case, I think this is an excellent counter signing. A front four of

is pretty scary and with Poulsen and Lucas behind could work really well, as much as I hate to say it.

Doubt it in our dire financial position.

I have never seen enough of Poulsen, I caught him a few times at Seville and I do like a tough tackling player, providing they do it well.

For the price they paid and what they will potentially make back on Mach, it's smart business.

How would Lucas replace Masch? Mascherano is a defensive midfielder who stays in position for about 95% of the game. Lucas is a box to box midfielder and playing him in Mascherano's role wouldn't work. He'd drift forward along with the fact he is an awful tackler, although I also believe he is a good player. I can't say I have seen much of Poulsen but he must have been good at Schalke and Sevilla to warrant Juve paying 9 Million for him. He is the same type of player as Mascherano with less pace however he is better in the air. I imagine Roy will get the best out of him and him joining will make Agger happy so seems a good deal to me (if only he was 5 years younger).
It's doesn't matter about 'replacing Mascherano' because Mascherano isn't needed in Hodgson's 4-1-1-3-1 formation (He played against Rabonicki). Lucas played very well in the Defensive Midfielder role and Gerrard was good in the Box to Box Midfielder role. I don't see why we have to change anything from that, at least not yet.

You must be dreaming. Arjen Robben is playing for the Champions League Runner Ups and we do not have the money to tempt him, unlike Man City. However, if the takeover is done and Roy Hodgson get's a lot of money to spend, then I don't see why not. But I doubt it right now. Anyway, Robben said Liverpool's front three is fearsome, not that he wants to join it.
Source: http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/engla...h-star-arjen-robben-liverpools-front-three-of

Last edited:
Not a bad signing, though i believe there are better people around who do that sort of "dirty" role.

It's doesn't matter about 'replacing Mascherano' because Mascherano isn't needed in Hodgson's 4-1-1-3-1 formation (He played against Rabonicki). Lucas played very well in the Defensive Midfielder role and Gerrard was good in the Box to Box Midfielder role. I don't see why we have to change anything from that, at least not yet.

You must be dreaming. Arjen Robben is playing for the Champions League Runner Ups and we do not have the money to tempt him, like Man City. However, if the takeover is done and Roy Hodgson get's a lot of money to spend, then I don't see why not. But I doubt it right now. Anyway, Robben said Liverpool's front three is fearsome, not that he wants to join it.
Source: http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/engla...h-star-arjen-robben-liverpools-front-three-of
Why would I be dreaming that? My dreams involve Mesut Ozil lining up next to Arteta and Cahill.

It would be better to have a proper defensive midfielder in the team because Lucas is an awful tackler and would be caught out of position a lot against any decent team. Simple as that to be honest, his best role is as a box to box midfielder and I don't believe he would be capable to play in the defensive midfield role on his own. When he has done it for us previously he has done it alongside Masch or Alonso who don't often roam out of position. Even last night when he played there for Brazil he had a lot of help from Ramires. I just don't reckon he can be the defensive midfielder on his own, Poulsen would be better there in my opinion.

Not a bad signing, though i believe there are better people around who do that sort of "dirty" role.

Of course there are, but until the cowboys are run out of town, we can't afford them.

Brilliant deal. Very, very good business by Liverpool, he'll do a good job for them.

Decent player, 4.5m is a pretty good price - he certainly isn't Mascherano though.

It's not his pace (as in him being slow) which is my concern. It's that the pace of the game often seems too much for him - certainly did at Juve when at times he was totally un-noticeable. The flip side to that is that maybe that's a sign of him doing his job, but I honestly don't think that those who say he was Juve's Lucas are right about that. He looks pressed for time and space when playing at centreback for Denmark, so not sure he's going to be ideal for a midfielder in the Premier League.

Not convinced but good luck to him and more than happy to eat humble pie if he turns out to be the ideal player and has a storming season. Just wish Mash wanted to stay, as I'd have him in my team every single time over Poulsen.

It would be better to have a proper defensive midfielder in the team because Lucas is an awful tackler and would be caught out of position a lot against any decent team. Simple as that to be honest, his best role is as a box to box midfielder and I don't believe he would be capable to play in the defensive midfield role on his own. When he has done it for us previously he has done it alongside Masch or Alonso who don't often roam out of position. Even last night when he played there for Brazil he had a lot of help from Ramires. I just don't reckon he can be the defensive midfielder on his own, Poulsen would be better there in my opinion.
I guess, although Alonso did roam quite a bit as he was more a Deep Lying Playmaker more than an Anchor Man like Mascherano. I was just impressed by his performance - and the teams overall performance - against Rabonicki.

It's not his pace (as in him being slow) which is my concern. It's that the pace of the game often seems too much for him - certainly did at Juve when at times he was totally un-noticeable. The flip side to that is that maybe that's a sign of him doing his job, but I honestly don't think that those who say he was Juve's Lucas are right about that. He looks pressed for time and space when playing at centreback for Denmark, so not sure he's going to be ideal for a midfielder in the Premier League.

Not convinced but good luck to him and more than happy to eat humble pie if he turns out to be the ideal player and has a storming season. Just wish Mash wanted to stay, as I'd have him in my team every single time over Poulsen.
I'm not that convinced either, although I guess he should prove good competition. I just don't like dirty players - bar Mascherano.

Does anyone know if he's playing tommorow?

Last edited:
Nah, I heard he's playing tomorrow when Liverpool actually play there game. ;)
Epic fail XD I didn't really check when Liverpool were playing, I was too excited with the start of the campaign (6). Why are all the good games on Sundays normally (Man Utd v Liverpool, Man Utd v Chelsea)?

Epic fail XD I didn't really check when Liverpool were playing, I was too excited with the start of the campaign (6). Why are all the good games on Sundays normally (Man Utd v Liverpool, Man Utd v Chelsea)?
Because Sky Sports broadcast the games and want them on a Sunday so more people watch.

I guess, although Alonso did roam quite a bit as he was more a Deep Lying Playmaker more than an Anchor Man like Mascherano. I was just impressed by his performance - and the teams overall performance - against Rabonicki.

I'm not that convinced either, although I guess he should prove good competition. I just don't like dirty players - bar Mascherano.

Does anyone know if he's playing tommorow?

Alonso and Mascherano suited eachother perfectly, they go with the whole destroyer - creator theory brilliantly. Those 2 were a match made in heaven; i think the fact Alonso isn't still there, could be a part of the reason why masch wants to leave; as for you saying we played a 4-1-1-3-1 against Rabotnicki (sp?) i disagree. Yes, Gerrard pushed on quite a lot (to be expected against such weak opposition) but so did Lucas, they both took it in turns to bomb forward. but both at times came deep to win the ball or recieve the ball from a defender.

Also, if Gerrard ran beyond Joe Cole; cole often droppen into Gerrard's position to help out, and won the ball back a few times....
As for DMF saying if he plays Masch and he get's injured. we'll have an unhappy player on our hands; well he wanted to leave last summer, didn't. had a bad 3 or 4 games and then put his head down and got on with it and was pretty good. I think at the end of the day, he knows he's a Liverpool player until someone bids for him and as Woy said, a deal doesn't look immintent atm....

As for Poulsen, i don't see why people are trying to compare him to masch; it's obvious masch is one of the best in the world at what he does! But at £4.5 million, it's not a bad signing, although i have the same concerns as Zeb.....

Back